Type keyword(s) to search

The People's Court - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, ElleMo said:

Oh, I completely agree.  I've gotten used bookcases, desks, tables, etc. but never anything upholstered. If they had gotten pee'd on, the stain would be pretty obvious.  I even got a used crib and bed frame/headboard, but bought new mattresses. I would have taken my dad's couch, but that was only because I knew the history.

Back in my college days, we did get a couch from a church sale every year.  We never had a way to transport it home or place to store it over the summer, so at the end of the spring semester, we always either threw it out or gave it to someone staying over the summer.  The summer I stayed on campus, I saw the church trucks come around campus picking up stuff.  Turns out that they get stuff from the school in May and sell it back to students the next semester.  Now I shudder to think what those couches had on them.  One owner is bad enough but multiple college student owners?  Yikes! Thankfully I was blissfully unaware at the time. 

When I hear these stories I remember the Big Bang Theory episode where a used chair makes the rounds.

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, ElleMo said:

Yeah, I didn't see it anything that swayed me either way. I thought perhaps she asked people for money, couldn't get so gave it away. 

Of course we don't get to hear everything in the case, unless every case lasts exactly 12 minutes. We have to look at and listen to Levin for a good chunk of it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

bad used car deal: Yet another car buyer who buys a $700 16yo hunk of junk,

A sixteen year old Chevy? Who would think anything could be wrong with it? What a witch. Seriously, if I were homeless and had 11 animals in boarding, was going to live in my car and someone offered me a good job, I'd find a way to get there. I managed to get to work for years without a car. She needed to find decent homes for all those pets and get her ass to work. "How did I know?" True. Why on earth would she ever think of getting an ancient hoopty she's buying from a total stranger checked out before buying it? It was her choice and now someone else should pay for all her bad decisions. Maybe if she were 18 I could see it. And boy, was she steamed, as Doug noted. Aside: I love that I can listen to the hallterviews again, now that the Hall Clown is merely a bad memory.

nonrefundable furniture sale: 

Listening to the defendant made my ears bleed. I would really have liked to have seen this furniture that was worth 30K. That is the price she said she was asking originally, wasn't it? Is that possible?

Internet dating loan case: 

Okay, so I meet some dude on Snapchat, decide he's the love of my life and nearly immediately pay his car insurance. But that's nothing. I also get his name tattooed on my body. Because I'm pathetically desperate, at 23. Gee, to this day I haven't had my husband's name permanently inked on my body and he never even asked me to pay for his insurance. JM was very kind to her and gave her great advice, but who wants to bet she's squeezed yet another man's name on her body somewhere? Richard could have pawn-ded his earrings to pay his own bills, but really, why should he? I guess he learned that American women will pay anything to keep a worthless man around. It's a jackpot, Richard! It really is.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

When did the Hallterviews become the highlight of the show?  Seasons past I would never say it.  LOVE DOUG!

I love how he doesn't let the losers get away with saying they didn't have a chance to speak or present evidence. Nobody's buying that bull.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, DoctorK said:

For me, it was when Doug came back.

No question. Time was I zipped right on by to the next case, now a good portion of the time I zip through the case and watch Doug summarize the case. If he says something that sounds interesting, maybe I go back to see what he's talking about.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

When did the Hallterviews become the highlight of the show?  Seasons past I would never say it.  LOVE DOUG!

Before Doug I had to FF through the Hallclown opening explanation of the case,  every word from Levin, the dimwits outside, the interminable ads and the Hallterviews. I was left with maybe 30 minutes of a one-hour show. At least we got the hallterviews back.

I love how Doug subtly twists the knife with the losers, saying things like (paraphrasing) "Well, the judge really gave it to you, didn't she?" right after they've gotten a major spanking from JM. They stand there huffing, crying or spouting the Loser's Motto - "It is what it is" - or still trying to justify, clarify and defend the awful and/or dumb things they did.  "I have this paper right here and..." Doug is not sympathetic: "Off you go."

• Love 5
  1. Looney tunes sublet case: whoa a couple litigants I'd never want to deal with. Plaintiff is Asian man, lots of histrionics, unreasonable, definitely not anyone I would want to live with, but right in this case. Defendant is Black woman rented out a spare room in her 3 bedroomph apartment through craigslist. Only reason I mention the Asian/Black element is that when they had their parting of the ways, they both apparently really cut loose with the racial slurs in their texts. Anyway, he rents the room and after a couple months she gets a cat. Ok, I freely admit I sometimes judge people based on the way they react to animals - and listening to these two I form a low opinion of both. At least plaintiff has the excuse that he is highly allergic, so maybe I'd forgive his response. But not the defendant, who says she got the cat because there was a mouse in the apartment, and she would have happily gotten rid of the cat if he had asked. Well, lady, mousing is a learned behavior, so unless you found a cat that was taught to hunt you're probably out of luck. To me getting a cat (or really any animal) is a commitment that ideally is lifelong. Back to the case. Plaintiff moves out, and wants security deposit back - problem is he insisted he didn't have to return the keys until he got back the deposit - uh, no, I don't think a tenant gets to keep the keys until the deposit is returned. But, like I said early on, his position makes more sense that defendant landlord. Somehow she jacked up her counterclaim to 5 grand over a month to month $900 room rental. She has some terrible pictures to support her damage claim - not terrible damage, but terrible pictures that don't show damage. She's suing for who knows how many month's rent, but admits all she's entitled to was 5 days, and she forgave that. Really, all she can claim is the locksmith who changed the locks because he kept the keys, which the judge decides was worth $150. Plaintiff gets want he asked for minus the $150.
  2. Dude wants membership fund refund from gym/dojo/studio: plaintiff says he practiced/studio Krav Maga at defendant's place, when he quit he wants back $4500. Defendant's argument is that, like most health clubs, membership is nonrefundable, whether you come twice a week or just once a year. Big disagreement over whether plaintiff was kicked out or quit because he's physically unfit and couldn't keep up. Apparently, plaintiff talked to some court employee when he went to file his suit, and this guy suggested he shoot for the moon with his damage requests - so he's asking for triple damages. MM is less than impressed with the advise he received. He ends up winning, but nowhere near what he's asking for. He gets back 5 hundred instead of 4500. Best part about the case was the defendant, who said next to nothing, and when he did he appeared to consider the question and answer honestly - oh, and something tells me he would not be someone to mess with in an alley.
  3. mom suing son over $1500 loan: way back in 2011, sonny's car breaks down and momma helps him by paying for the repair. Everybody agrees it was a loan - the rub is she says she hasn't been repaid, he says he gave her the car. Sonny looks pretty good today, all dressed in a suit, but that is probably advise he picked up in his many prior court appearances - some folks have Sunday clothes, he's wearing his court appearance suit. Next thing he needs to learn is act like he hasn't been arrested and sent to jail so often that when it did happened it was a nightmare he can't forget - not mumble something about pending cases and maybe this time had something to follow be being caught in possession of marijuana. Dude should have been straight with the judge from the get go, instead of trying to dance around. I mean, everybody knew there was a lot more to the story than a little Mary Jane as soon as we heard he was going in the big house for two years. Doesn't really affect this loan repayment case, but in these cases which so often hinge on credibility you're doing yourself no good trying to hide something which is bound to come out. Oh, turns out the weed was just personal use amount, but it violated his parole for an arrest for 100 grams of coke - which of course is the real reason he went to jail for two years. Now case gets a little bizarre. Momma has to be cautioned about standing with her hand on her hip glaring at son while he testifies. Sounds like she accepted the car as repayment, like sonny claims, but then sonny gave the title to sis, who goes and steals car from momma and proceeds to run the wheels off it. Hmmm, where is sis today? Maybe she's momma's witness - nope that's son's ex gf from when he went to prison, and the mother of (at least) two of his children. Geez, I'm done with this dysfunctional family... on to Doug. Nope, even Mr Llewelyn can't salvage this mess. Momma wins, not sure why because when I stopped watching it sounded like the loan was repaid with the car, which sis/daughter stole from the driveway. Sounded like momma was suing the wrong offspring. Ah well, not worth reminded to hear MM 's reasons.
  • Love 7

Looney tunes sublet case: whoa a couple litigants I'd never want to deal with.

Weren't they just so distasteful, both of them? I had to FF the part where def was talking about how she'd have no problem "getting rid of" the cat (You don't get rid of a living creature - you get rid of junk or mold, etc.) You do NOT get a cat because you have mice. Not every cat will hunt mice. You get an animal because you want one and are prepared to take the best care you can of one. And what the hell was she wearing around her neck? A bunch of dead cacti? Plaintiff seemed to think he was auditioning for something. Whatever he was going on about - fathering def's future kids or whatever - couldn't stand either of them. I guess renting a room for 850$/mnth is normal in some places.

Dude wants membership fund refund from gym/dojo/studio: 

He's the poster child for Greedy Litigants. His slack-jawed sons bail on him, and he expects def - who was very nice to him - to fork over 4K because def asked him to enter the premises at the agreed time. I'm glad def. learned something from this. Better late than never, I guess.

mom suing son over $1500 loan: 

I was thinking "Does anyone go to jail for two years for simple possession of weed?" Not possible. Turns out they don't and that def. was selling coke. What a lovely family they are. Son is a drug dealer and daughter steals car from mom, although what mom wants with a car when she doesn't even have a license, I'm not sure. Broken family be damned. "I won!" exclaims mom triumphantly in the hall, showing a wide grin complete with missing teeth. Congrats, mom. You're a winner. Oh, and def's baby momma? I couldn't understand anything she said so can't comment on her testimony.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

Note to defendant in today's 1st case: you are not cute, not even remotely, and this is not an audition. Stay off tv!

So many recent cases I wish were on JJ, you know she'd announce the bolded.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

The 40$ case: Plaintiff wants his 40$ back because he took his brand-new, seven-year old car (that's like brand-new, isn't it?) for a wheel-alignment/balancing to the defs' shop and he just knew, from his extensive experience performing wheel alignments that the job didn't take enough time for the defs to have done the work. He measures time in how long it takes him to play the lottery. Well, actually he has no extensive experience, but he still knows it didn't take long enough. It's only 40$ and def. owner did say had he been there that day he would have returned it just to shut plaintiff up, but why should he? His explanation of the work made perfect sense and was actually quite interesting. Plaintiff leaves minus not only his precious 40$ but the court filing fee as well but still knows he's right.

Backyard breeder: I had to FF through most of this case, because people who breed unhealth tested, unshown "designer" mutts for profit make me sick. Plaintiffs knew damned well def. was a backyard breeder who uses dogs' uteri to make money (why doesn't she rent out her own uterus for couples who can't have kids?) but bought the puppy anyway because they wanted it and they wanted it NOW. It's only after the poor thing got so sick and had to be euthanized that they decided they didn't like the "backyard breeder" aspect of it. There's really no excuse: The internet is filled with information on people like the def, and why no one should purchase mutts from them. Rescues are filled with beautiful purebred dogs and puppies and no one should be financially encouraging people like the def. to continue her disgusting business. Parvo is a horrible disease and yes, people can bring into their homes on the soles of their shoes so it's possible plaintiffs did give it to their puppy, which was already weakened by ear mites and worms. Depressing case.

The silver coin case: I admit I got somewhat lost during this case since I know nothing about coins/coin collectors. I guess plaintiff was right since he won the case. The best part was when I didn't FF through Levin the Shyster and his crowd of pinheads. I really wanted to hear their learned, educated opinions on this case and they didn't disappoint.

• Love 7
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 8:14 PM, cattykit said:

I see this topic is no spoilers.  I don't think it's a spoiler to suggest that 99% of the time MM rules in favor of the little dog over the big dog, the dog off the leash over the dog on the leash, and the bitee over the biter.  I do remember one case where she found that a pit bull owner was actually in the right, but that was the day hell froze over, too.

Well, there are leash laws, so of course, most of the time the unleashed dog is going to be the one in the wrong, and why would you side with the biter over the bitee?  well, I guess if the biter is leashed on his own property and an unleashed dog wanders onto the property, then I could see it, but in most cases, the biter is going to be 100% at fault, or at least the owners are.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

The 40$ case: Plaintiff wants his 40$ back because he took his brand-new, seven-year old car (that's like brand-new, isn't it?) for a wheel-alignment/balancing to the defs' shop and he just knew, from his extensive experience performing wheel alignments that the job didn't take enough time for the defs to have done the work. He measures time in how long it takes him to play the lottery. Well, actually he has no extensive experience, but he still knows it didn't take long enough. It's only 40$ and def. owner did say had he been there that day he would have returned it just to shut plaintiff up, but why should he? His explanation of the work made perfect sense and was actually quite interesting. Plaintiff leaves minus not only his precious 40$ but the court filing fee as well but still knows he's right.

Backyard breeder: I had to FF through most of this case, because people who breed unhealth tested, unshown "designer" mutts for profit make me sick. Plaintiffs knew damned well def. was a backyard breeder who uses dogs' uteri to make money (why doesn't she rent out her own uterus for couples who can't have kids?) but bought the puppy anyway because they wanted it and they wanted it NOW. It's only after the poor thing got so sick and had to be euthanized that they decided they didn't like the "backyard breeder" aspect of it. There's really no excuse: The internet is filled with information on people like the def, and why no one should purchase mutts from them. Rescues are filled with beautiful purebred dogs and puppies and no one should be financially encouraging people like the def. to continue her disgusting business. Parvo is a horrible disease and yes, people can bring into their homes on the soles of their shoes so it's possible plaintiffs did give it to their puppy, which was already weakened by ear mites and worms. Depressing case.

The silver coin case: I admit I got somewhat lost during this case since I know nothing about coins/coin collectors. I guess plaintiff was right since he won the case. The best part was when I didn't FF through Levin the Shyster and his crowd of pinheads. I really wanted to hear their learned, educated opinions on this case and they didn't disappoint.

I didn't understand the whole business with the "receipt," but I really didn't understand how the plaintiff, just on his say-so and after the coins were counted in his presence 2 1/2 years prior to the case, could prevail.  Who's to say the plaintiff actually didn't receive the coins he claimed?  How does he wait so long to notice the coins are "missing?"  I also thought that the market price for silver coins is very contingent on the condition--they don't all get 15x face value.  Years ago I had a stash of silver coins that mysteriously disappeared after a move; wish I had them now!

Crappy people who keep buying from breeders instead of shopping at shelters -- they're as much to blame as the breeders.  If they have their heart set on a particular breed they can ask the shelter to let them know when one comes in.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Crappy people who keep buying from breeders instead of shopping at shelters -- they're as much to blame as the breeders.

They're more to blame. If no one rewarded these disreputable animal peddlers they would stop what they're doing. No money in it? Why bother? I bet if the plaintiff's puppy hadn't died they never would have bitched about backyard breeders. They didn't care at all about this kind of revolting exploitation of helpless animals. They cared only that they didn't get their money's worth.

CyberJawa1986 - it's up already!

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 4

My take on the coin case:

Plaintiff says he bought $100 worth of half-dollars (a total of 200 coins) about 2.5 years ago from the defendant, with whom he had dealt often in the past.  He apparently put them away and didn't do anything with them all this time, and when he DID open the bag, there was only $40 worth of half-dollars (80 coins).  He says that the defendant didn't give him all his coins.

Defendant says he did NOT stiff the plaintiff, and his normal process was to count them out in front of him at the time of sale.  He even said that plaintiff had gone through the coins and rejected some of them, requesting replacements in better shape.  One thing that made a major point in the defendant's favor in my opinion was that he brought a baggie with 80 coins in it, and another baggie with 120 coins in it.  Anyone who has picked up bags of coins (as plaintiff would have, as a frequent collector) should have known just by the weight if the bag was that short.

Didn't matter what I think.  In spite of having no real evidence that he was shorted, plaintiff won the case, and defendant had to pay him the value of the missing coins.  I'm more likely to believe that a family member or service provider in the home saw the stash and figured he wouldn't miss them.  JMO.

• Love 12
48 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I'm more likely to believe that a family member or service provider in the home saw the stash and figured he wouldn't miss them.  JMO.

Never thought of that, but it could very well be the case.

RE: the brand new seven year old car: I wonder if I can try this next time I go to Toyota for service - "I say you didn't take long enough to do that oil change, therefore you must not have done it and I'm not paying you." I'm sure that will work!

• Love 7

Well, I saw the very beautiful Walking Liberty Half Dollar (1916-1947) that MM was examining.  I got to say, if you want to see real American Beauty, History and Art, just look at our older coinage.  Nothing against our current/modern president pieces... (which I do collect as well) ... that we've had for so many years,  but I love all the depictions of liberty of the coins of eras gone by.  Liberty... the coins had a worth and meaning beyond the monetary value.

Myself, I never buy bags of coins like the Plaintiff.  If I buy from a seller or store, in person or online, I typically buy slabbed/graded coins...  I don't really care for the grading, I'm a bit OCD and I just prefer the protective slab/covering on the coin.  But  I know most collectors like to be able to really feel and touch the coin.

I'm with AZChristian, someone probably snatched the coins when Plaintiff wasn't looking.

Edited by CyberJawa1986
Edits and Stuff, yo'!
  • Love 5

One thing that made a major point in the defendant's favor in my opinion was that he brought a baggie with 80 coins in it, and another baggie with 120 coins in it

Agree, anyone who deals with coins will know the difference between 80 and 120. For God's sake, that is a 50% difference; 120 versus 115 I could understand but not 120 versus 80.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

Agree, anyone who deals with coins will know the difference between 80 and 120. For God's sake, that is a 50% difference; 120 versus 115 I could understand but not 120 versus 80.

And since the original purchase was supposed to have been 200 coins, defendant put the baggie with 80 into the baggie with 120, showing what the total size of 200 would be as compared to the total size of 80.  No way Plaintiff didn't notice that big of a difference when he bought the coins.  The 200 coins were 250% of the 80.  (At least I think so . . . I was an English major.)

• Love 3
12 hours ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

I got to say, if you want to see real American Beauty, History and Art, just look at our older coinage.

Older everything. Even the insulators for the telephone pole wires were works of art. I have a few, in very thick glass of various jewel-like colours.  Everything - even strictly utilitarian items right down to the plug on my 1926 radio -  seemed to be ornate once upon a time.

Thanks for the insight into the coin case to those who gave it. I really had no idea what was being discussed.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Older everything. Even the insulators for the telephone pole wires were works of art. I have a few, in very thick glass of various jewel-like colours.  Everything - even strictly utilitarian items right down to the plug on my 1926 radio -  seemed to be ornate once upon a time.

Thanks for the insight into the coin case to those who gave it. I really had no idea what was being discussed.

I also have a couple old glass insulators; gorgeous colors!

• Love 3

real snoozers today, hardly worth a recap.

1. hot dog cart case scam: I have a tough time believing this is even a real case. Morbidly obese dude who can barely breath claims he makes his living selling hot dogs and/or ice cream from his carts during the season. I really doubt this guy is physically able to be on his feet enough to do this - I suppose he could hire someone to do the work, or maybe rent out the carts, but it sounded like he was saying that's what he did. Anyway, guy needed $500 to bail gf/wife out of jail, so he either rented a cart to his cousin or gave it to him as collateral. Never repaid the loan, cousin had cart at a neighbor's place, and neighbor ended up selling it and giving cousin a couple hundred bucks. Stories from both sides so full of holes I doubt there was even a cart. MM says she's pissed they expected her to buy their BS, and throws out case.
  2. Condo plumbing problems: 'nother snoozer. Plaintiff lives in downstairs condo. Upstairs neighbor has series of plumbing and heater/ac problems which end up causing damage to downstairs condo. No defense except to blame cat for closing bathtub drain for one flood. Unlike some, I actually can believe the cat did it defense. I know my guys sometimes get fascinated with dripping faucets or running water, and I could buy a cat pawing at the water and hitting a drain lever - wouldn't excuse cat owner's from liability, but I can believe it. Anyway, defendant didn't argue - or even say much of anything, and plaintiff wins.
  3. used car tyranny blows: not sure what happens with this one, as I stopped watching as they went to commercial break after the intro. Apparently, plaintiff bought a car and then the transmission blew. Seems the seller even delivered the car to plaintiff's mechanic, who checked it out and gave it a thumbs up before buyer bought it. Unless there's some weird lemon law in their jurisdiction, buyer is out of luck.
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Morbidly obese dude who can barely breath claims he makes his living selling hot dogs and/or ice cream from his carts during the season.

I have a feeling he inhaled all the product and made no living at all from his hot dog/ice cream cart. Seems he shared it all with his sister. His snorking and gasping was, well - I was trying to eat while watching this and it was unappetizing to say the least. But unlike all our litigants, I admit that was my fault. I do love how indignant JM gets when she sees that people blatantly lie to her,  thinking she's an idiot, as did these two, well, idiots. Both litigants were full of shit, so no surprise they were both thrown out with zero.

Condo plumbing problems: 'nother snoozer.

The only interesting part was that def. was such a total slackjaw, trying to blame her cats for lifting the thingy on the bathtub, causing it to overflow. Think of something more believable next time, you mouthbreathing idiot. I just wish plaintiff had sued her for the total cost of everything,which JM said she could have done.

used car tyranny blows: not sure what happens with this one, as I stopped watching as they went to commercial break after the intro.

Well, plaintiff (Ms. Baskerville) stated, "I know I'm a pretty women" which made her not pretty at all. Buys a car on some site (and her prettiness gets her a discount), that car being  a 12 year old Nissan with 130K miles on it. Car needs a new transmission. Sucks to be you, pretty woman, since it's "As is." Do these people think that if they're cute and it's the first car they've bought that that makes them exempt from the "As is" law? Apparently. "Denver" is exonerated of nay wrongdoing. Go to a dealer next time, Pretty Woman, and get a warranty. In the meantime, fix your old beater and shut up.

• Love 6

I want to see that 2nd case defendant in Kitty Court being sued by her pets for defamation of character! What a maroon!

There's a red-haired woman in Harvey's street side pack of mouth breathers who should lay off the plastic surgery: she's getting very close to Jocelyn Wildenstein territory.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Well, plaintiff (Ms. Baskerville) stated, "I know I'm a pretty women" which made her not pretty at all. Buys a car on some site (and her prettiness gets her a discount), that car being  a 12 year old Nissan with 130K miles on it. Car needs a new transmission. Sucks to be you, pretty woman, since it's "As is." Do these people think that if they're cute and it's the first car they've bought that that makes them exempt from the "As is" law? Apparently. "Denver" is exonerated of nay wrongdoing. Go to a dealer next time, Pretty Woman, and get a warranty. In the meantime, fix your old beater and shut up.

Wasn't she a real ball tosser?  "I know I'm beautiful"!! 

And if she's so dang gorgeous you'd think her beauty could garner her something better than a 12 year old Nissan with 130k miles on it.  Sheesh, I'm no spring chicken but I think I can get an 8 year old Nissan with no more than 75K miles for a fair price.  And the transmission wouldn't fall out on the Merritt Parkway, that's for sure.

File this under "Special Snowflake - The Beauty Queen Case"

1 hour ago, Broderbits said:

There's a red-haired woman in Harvey's street side pack of mouth breathers who should lay off the plastic surgery: she's getting very close to Jocelyn Wildenstein territory.

I just came here to comment about her!

Fortunately my condo flood problems were resolved by my insurance company - they hit the upstairs neighbor's insurance for it and won. Upstairs had an overflowing toilet that ran for about 3 hours before she came home to turn it off. What reached me was clean, at least, but there was a lot of it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Broderbits said:

That's very tempting. I'll have to take another look, muted of course so I don't hear one screechy word from the Shyster's flapping pie hole. You'd think someone who has the money to get extensive plastic surgery would have something better to do than loiter outside with a mob of pinheads in the hopes that Levin will shove his microphone in her face. Maybe she thinks she'll be discovered and get some reality show?

1 hour ago, PsychoKlown said:

File this under "Special Snowflake - The Beauty Queen Case"

I don't pay attention to such things, but not sure a Beauty Queen can have a neck so short it looks like her head is sitting directly on her shoulders.

• Love 3

Sorry for the late viewing/commenting on the used furniture nonsense, but this one thing stands out for me.  I think defendant probably used to be a man.  I know, that should not affect one's ambulance chasing.

• Love 1
  • tenant suing for water damaged goods: landlord defendant is slow to fix a water leak, and tenant says her shoes and clothes were damaged. Really no question about damage, the question is how much she should get. She left owing two months rent, and he already paid her a couple hundred cash. Her original damage claim was $1400, which he agreed to pay, but after he agreed she decided to ask for more - WAY more. Understandably, he dug in his heels and refused to pay more than double the original amount. Her evidence is a few pictures of shoes, a wet cardboard box, and a suitcase. Dude had already offered to forgive the back rent, gave her $200 cash, and offered a $600 check, so that's what MM orders. Personally, I would have let him keep that additional $600. Girl was there on a month to month basis, knew about the leak a month after moving in, then after staying there a year, leaving her stuff in the closet where the leak occurred, stays a year, then decides to ask for thousands in damages when she moves out. Yeah, landlord should have fixed the leak, but she she could have moved anytime after a 30 day notice, and she did nothing to protect her stuff after she knew of the problem.
  1. oil change ends with blown engine: plaintiff pays to get an oil change on his car with over 120,000 miles on it, and car engine blows shortly thereafter - so obviously the oil change shop screwed up and should give him replacement costs of $3300. Ok, maybe if they failed to put in the drain plug (happened to me once with an Army deuce and half) but unless this guy can show negligence no way he gets a penny. Lots and lots of talk to tell us plaintiff got an oil change before a 6 hour road trip. On the way home, before the engine bites the dust, engine light and oil light are flickering on and off a couple times. Dude, when the idiot lights come on only an idiot keeps driving! You DO NOT keep driving and hope for the best. He makes it home, doesn't do anything to figure out the problem, and starts driving it to work like there's been a miraculous car healing. 3 weeks later, engine knock comes back and he decides to take it to be checked out. Heck, at this point I'm thinking any damage is entirely on the plaintiff, even if he could prove oil shop only put in half the needed oil. Case is silly, but MM realises oil shop dude is articulate, so she let's him give us a little lesson on what oil does in an engine since there's time to fill. In hallterview, defendant offers to give plaintiff a '05 car he has sitting at the shop. Says it belonged to a customer who didn't want to pay for engine work - wonder if it's been repaired or if plaintiff is going to have to pay the bill after getting the car for free. Anyway, good PR for the shop and they show a picture of litigants shaking hands, presumably when he picked up his new old car.
  2. veteran scammer? As a veteran, it really burns me when I hear of someone playing the "I'm a vet" card to get over on people. In this case, plaintiff is a real estate broker who says defendant came looking for an apartment. Since he said he was a vet, she was willing to discount some of her fee, and negotiated lower rent from the landlord. After getting him into a place, he refuses to pay the fee, claiming he's broke, even though she spotted him eating in an upscale resturant (this part from intro, never came up in court). Then it turns out he makes a habit of playing on being a vet, saying in his papers he never pays the brokers' fees because he's a vet. Like I said at the top, as a vet it burns me since it makes people question it when someone claims to be a vet. Working in a pizza place in an Army town, we occasionally get people looking for a handout. Hey, as a vet it takes very little to catch a poser trying to scam a free pizza. I've bought a few meals for legit vets (as well as others in need), but run off more than one who claimed to be something they weren't. Dagdammit,  dude claims he didn't know he owed the fee, even though he signed the paper agreeing to it. Only hiccup for the plaintiff is she is suing for the whole fee, even the discounted part. MM revises that and only makes him pay the 10% - but hey, I would have made him pay the full 12% as the contract said, but then I'm pissed by the smirk on his face when MM let's him off with 10%. 
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

I kept staring at renter's beard because it totally looked like it was pasted on, badly.  I've never gotten a break for being a vet.  But then, I come from the era when military people were treated with disdain.  It confuses me when people now say, "Thank you for your service," because they sure as hell didn't thank me then.  

I almost missed the pay it forward hallterview except I saw when I was FFing past the "coming ups" that the coming up was a hallterview, so I thought it must be noteworthy.  The guy should have made sure his business name was visible in the final picture of the car exchange, but it wasn't.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

tenant suing for water damaged goods: 

That was quite a turnaround. At first I thought def was some slumlord but ended up believing every word he said. Plaintiff, as the case went on, was shaking her head more and more and I assumed it was because she knew she was soooo busted, trying for a lottery win here. All the clothes that were ruined (after she continued to leave them in a closet where water leaks all the time)? Well, she has pictures of them all, but on a different device so JM should just take her word. I'm sorry she got even 600$ instead of the 3500$ she was scamming for.

oil change ends with blown engine: 

"Check oil" and "check engine" lights come on in the plaintiff's 13-year old beater that had over 120,000 miles when he bought it, but he just ignores that, thinking the car will heal itself somehow. It doesn't, so it must be def's fault. OMG, doofus plaintiff was annoying with his rambling tale of his dental work, his physiotherapist, his niece's confirmation and oh, just shut up and tell the story! That def was willing to give him a car after being dragged into court and accused of ripping plaintiff off over nonsense was truly amazing. I wish I were that generous and nice.

Tyrone is a big ol' scammer with no shame at all. We're supposed to believe he thought plaintiff was offering her broker services as a good deed, or maybe a hobby to help the likes of him (who can afford 1350$/mth but can't pay the person who got him the place even when she gave him a discount) since, after all - he's a VET! Does that mean he should get stuff free? Plaintiff needs to eat too, Tyrone. Well, yes, the rental application says he must pay a broker's fee, but he didn't bother to read it. Why should he? He's a vet and should get a pass for everything he does. Maybe skip the upkeep and dying of the dreads for a month or so and maybe you can pay your damned debts. Outrageous.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

If he even is a vet...

I'm sometimes tempted when I see someone on a street corner with a "disabled vet, please help" sign to ask them their serial number.  If they can't rattle it off in 5 seconds flat, they're probably not real vets.  Hubby has been out of the army for 50 years, and we can BOTH still spit that out at the drop of a hat.

But I normally just ignore folks on street corners.  We donate through our church, and volunteer at a food bank monthly.  I'm not willing to take a chance on helping a scammer, and I've read too many stories about them.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I used to be a real estate agent and let me tell you there's lots of people out there that don't want to pay your fee for some reason.

I once rented an apartment for a family whose daughter was in my son's class in a catholic school no less.

Well she felt she didn't have to pay me despite signing the paper.  She screwed me royally because I had to pay my broker out of my own pocket.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I'm sometimes tempted when I see someone on a street corner with a "disabled vet, please help" sign to ask them their serial number.  If they can't rattle it off in 5 seconds flat, they're probably not real vets.  Hubby has been out of the army for 50 years, and we can BOTH still spit that out at the drop of a hat.

Unless the model's changed in the 30+ years since I was in, serial number = social security number.

All they care about is your social now, I usually only have to give my husbands.

I felt guilty when we went to bar after the Marine Corps ball this year still dressed up and the people next to us bought our drinks.  I do use the Lowes discount though :)

Ive never heard of paying someone to help find a rental.  When I rent out my house I pay the realtor my renters don't.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, califred said:

Ive never heard of paying someone to help find a rental.  When I rent out my house I pay the realtor my renters don't.

It depends where you live. In some jurisdictions I believe it is illegal to charge renters;  others, it is not.  One of the reasons that I never rented in Manhattan was that I couldn't afford realtor fee PLUS three months rent (1rst month rent, last month rent and 1 month security).  I was stuck renting in the outer boroughs & NJ (rent was cheaper and security was only 1 month)  when I was single. 

• Like 1

Rats! My TPC channel experienced one of their periodic hiccups in scheduling and re-ran yesterday's episode again today. ?

It was hard, but somehow I was able to get through the cases today without my trusty SRTouch daily guide!  Hope your channel's back in sync tomorrow.  :)

I thought the dry cleaning plaintiff did a great job of setting up the smarmy, bullshitting defendant, even using MM's own words; the defendant was everything the plaintiff said and more.

MM, WTF!  "Between my husband and I????"  Grammar mavens everywhere weep.  

Boat case was boring.  

• Like 1
  • Love 5

The boat case: Plaintiff came across as a pompous ass. He never once asked def. what all this would cost. Maybe he didn't want to let on that money meant anything to him. Def. definitely should have given estimates and got the go-ahead before doing 6K of work on the boat, especially with a customer he'd never seen before. Plaintiff thinks he's going to win by bringing an email from some guy who says a no-name engine, base-level should cost only a couple thousand. Sorry, not good enough. Out you go, empty handed!

Second case was so sordid I had a hard time listening to it. Plaintiff's momma was in prison for 20 years for 70-odd felonies (I'm surprised she found the time to get knocked up) so plaintiff was born in prison and then great-auntie takes him in but he causes so much trouble in skoo that she got rid of him, but took him back and he lived in her garage with all his expensive electronics and his mom got sprung from prison and came over and smashed his glasses because he disrespecte her  and... oh I can't go on. It's too depressing. JM, please stop wasting everyone's time by saying that family should all love each other and that stuff. Not happening.

The dry cleaner case was interesting if only for how slimy the cleaner was. He's trying to say that of all the thousands of pants he's cleaned, he specifically remembers plaintiff's pants, which were shrunken and full of holes and he really gave his workers hell for taking them in at all and yadda yadda - all this to absolve himself of paying the princely sum of 65$ for a garment he lost. What a total jerk.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

"rough water" causes holes? Learn something everyday. Love how the plaintiff can't keep a straight face.

Even if everything the lying liar who lies said was true, and the plaintiff's pants were Swiss cheese, what would that have to do with them going missing?  Unless his next argument was going to be that there were so many holes the pants were invisible.

• Love 6
On 2/14/2017 at 9:33 PM, califred said:

All they care about is your social now, I usually only have to give my husbands.

Mentioned this serial number/SSN issue to Mr. AZC this morning.  After a couple of minutes of research, we found out that after 1969 (he was discharged in 1966), the military services stopped using serial numbers and went to SSNs.  Then, according to Wikipedia:"

"Social Security Numbers Discontinued
In December 2015, a U.S. Army press release announced that the Army was phasing out the use of soldiers' Social Security numbers on their dog tags. Instead it would use the soldiers' Department of Defense Identification Numbers, which are randomly-generated 10-digit numbers. The change would not happen all at once; it was being implemented "on an as-needed basis.""

• Love 3