Type keyword(s) to search

Hopes and Fears: How Will We Survive This Island? (Speculation WITHOUT Spoilers)

quarks
  • Start Topic

You're probably right, but now I'm thinking what I'd like to see (even though it makes no damn sense) is the show ends with Felicity in the Black Canary outfit, fighting side by side with the Green Arrow.

The thought of Laurvier n

Being end game is revolvting because its toxic. I'd rather Felicity be BC before having to see Laurvier end game espically because they don't last in the comics

You're probably right, but now I'm thinking what I'd like to see (even though it makes no damn sense) is the show ends with Felicity in the Black Canary outfit, fighting side by side with the Green Arrow.

It's a good thought but if I could really have anything, it would be with Sin as the Black Canary and Felicity in a Watchtower role, with Roy in the wings ready to take on the Arrow suit when Oliver's body finally wears out..

• Love 4

I assume they'll END the series with BC and GA together, but I'm hoping it's in the last minutes of the last episode and only after they fully explore the relationship with Felicity and they send her off as a fully actualized human being who is defined neither by her relationship with a man nor her lack thereof.

I am not ready to consider that an option.  Honestly, getting back to that toxic mess would be more circuitous than if Felicity actually did become Black Canary.  I really don't want Felicity to change that radically.  At least with Laurel it's not like she was giving up good characterization.   

How about an ending where Laurel has little girl by the name of Dinah Sarah Lance (Lance cause she's a modern woman) who they all of course just call Dinah and then in a couple decade she can hook up with Oliver Jonas Queen the II. (One of Felicity and Oliver's many children)  Problem solved. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 6

I forgot about argus and the present day son.

Also doesn't Slade have a son or a daughter. Nyssa has sisters.

I hated lana so I tuned out from smallville season one, came back for Jensen and tuned out. Dawson's creek soulmates is another example of writers not adjusting their original game plan after show begins.

Arrow's Felicity and Veronica Mars' Logan are the only ones I can think of in recent memory that have adjusted their vision to suit what is working.

I didn't watch, but I thought that Dawson's creek was an example where they did switch end game, from Dawson and Joey to Joey and Pacy (I think was the name) 

Well like adding more to the Felicity role, they extended pacy as endgame. But even in the last hour of the show, Dawson was all " we are soulmates".

I get reminders of that stupid soulmate shit every time Laurel says to oliver " I know you better than anyone"

My reaction is always " Uhm no... Loneytunes lance, you do not know him better than anyone". The writers keep having LL saying stuff like that, just like Dawson and the soulmate schtik.

I posted something else is another thread, can't honestly remember where or when. Soulmates can be more than romantic pairs. Dawson's Creek was a good example I think of where TPTB decided to change their endgame to accommodate for the more natural romantic pairing of Joey & Pacey. But I also think they didn't want to give up their own personal vision of the story and had Dawson continue to keep the soulmate thing going. Dawson & Joey were soulmates, but they were not supposed to end up together & I think there is some poetic justice in that notion. The advantage Dawson Creek had over Arrow though was the age of its characters. You could extend the endgame & the angst because the DC crew had high school/college/Yadulthood cliche to get through. Its ripe for that type of angst. Random hook-ups were not out of place, as much as they would feel on Arrow. The tones of the show are different. That being said, the groundwork for emotional growth is ripe in Arrow since all the characters are all so emotionally scarred that it is realistic to envision grown adults stumbling through emotionally charged relationships. I just hope they keep them emotionally authentic like in 312 & not cliche with random hook-ups. The Arrow crew is at a different stage in their lives, so the job is just a little more challenging for the writers if they want to pursue a romantic OTP & simultaneous platonic soulmate angle. I could see how Laurel & Oliver are soulmates, but not fated to be romantic partners or true love. They have shared history, similar ideals about justice, shared goals/ambitions, they bring out strong reactions in each other, its a reactionary way of making each other who they are. But they do not inspire each other to be better like a OTP does. But there is a role for each in Oliver's life. I would be extremely disappointed in the writers if they chose to put a physical Lauriver hook-up in this season, and probably any other future season. But if LL/BC is his platonic soulmate & Felicity is his romantic OTP, and the writers are smart about it - it could work, and it might make the comic people happy & the olicity people happy. That way they can have their cake & eat it too.

• Love 1

I said this before, but if Laurel really knew Oliver the best, she would have been the first one to guess that the vigilante in season 1 was Oliver.

This is why the idea of Laurel and Oliver as soulmates doesn't work for me.  She never understood him, not in the flashbacks and even less in the present day.  She waffled between loving the Hood and despising him.

If Oliver had a platonic soulmate it was Tommy.

The only way I could see Oliver and Laurel hooking up is if Felicity dies and they have sad sex over Tommy and Felicity dying.  Then they say "What did we do?" and never speak of it again.

• Love 9

Bringing this over from the 3x12 episode discussion thread because it's just so awesome an idea:

I want to add my utter adoration for the way Felicity handled Malcolm's initial pitch to join the team.  The blocking was amazing.  She was like a queen on her tech throne, flanked by her trusted vassals. For all the anvils we sometimes duck on this show, it was a nice piece of subtly to show that she doesn't feel the need to rise in his presence.

I don't care if it is total fannon, but I just see her starting a deep, digging worm into all of Malcolm's finances, security protocols, and electrical systems.  I see Felicity building a code that will allow her to nuke him on one button when the time is right.  Shut down all avenues of escape and message his exact location to the LoA.  When Malcolm inevitably betrays Oliver, Thea, and Team Arrow and everyone is running around bemoaning what they are to do, I just want her to quietly clear her throat from her station.  Not to say, "I told you so."  Time for Oliver to make it up to her later.  Instead, let's just take this sucker down for good.  It would be awesome, and she can totally do it.

• Love 16

I said this before, but if Laurel really knew Oliver the best, she would have been the first one to guess that the vigilante in season 1 was Oliver.

This is why the idea of Laurel and Oliver as soulmates doesn't work for me.  She never understood him, not in the flashbacks and even less in the present day.  She waffled between loving the Hood and despising him.

If Oliver had a platonic soulmate it was Tommy.

The only way I could see Oliver and Laurel hooking up is if Felicity dies and they have sad sex over Tommy and Felicity dying.  Then they say "What did we do?" and never speak of it again.

My point in referring to LL as a potential platonic soulmate, was that I could see TPTB & the writers forcing her into that role if they want to, esp now that she is going to be fighting along side him as BC. It is a possible angle they could take. It does seem that Oliver & LL know how to push each others buttons. They do know each other well, the problem is that a bulk of what they know is all the bad stuff and they are so stubborn that they refuse to see outside of the tunnel vision they seem to develop when they spend anytime together. That & they both have a tendency to make idiotic choices. 

I always thought a soulmate was someone who made you better, connected with the best parts of you.  Oliver and Laurel make each other worse.

From the spoiler thread

What I mean is, I would like for them to show this dynamic between [Oliver and Felicity]. I don't expect declarations or drama every episode, but just an acknowledging of how things are changed, why they've changed, where they could possibly go,organically, as in: not a big explosion in one episode and then "we're cool" for the next three until they need to blow things up again. I guess it wouldn't require more than a scene? A glance? An awkward pause? This kind of things that made season 2, basically.

And I agree that the writing for them it's better than other parts of the show, considering. And I like a lot this latest installment of angst.; at this point,though, I'm merely observing how this approach and this kind of obstacles seem a little..premature?( I can't find the exact word to what I mean). Considering they were never together, you know? Maybe it's that it's not the kind of story I was expecting for them, even if I do enjoy where this seems to be going.Just my opinion though :)

This is what MG said in the EW interview:

Felicity essentially pushed Oliver out of her life romantically, though they’ll still be working together. How will that work out?
MG:That’s the thing: How do they work together despite these real significant romantic setbacks that they’ve had? How does Ray Palmer (Brandon Routh) complicate that? It’s going to be some interesting times for Oliver and Felicity both as friends, former romantic interests and co-workers. It’s an opportunity to move their relationship—lowercase r—into some new territory and get some scenes between Oliver and Felicity that are different than the ones we’ve seen on the show to date.

I agree that it was a mistake not to show them having cute flirty moments in the 5 months of the hiatus before they got to the ill-fated date. That would have shown us how they work as a flirty couple.

But with the caveat (and it's a HUGE caveat given how this show tends to rush through or skip the emotional beats),  this is a huge possibility to show us Oliver and Felicity as we haven't seen them yet.  They always got along well and Felicity stood up to him when she thought he was wrong, but their interactions have always been affected by her crush on him and by the fact that he's the leader of the Team.  Now not only is Felicity over the crush part because she's seeing that Oliver can have feet of clay, but she's grown in terms of leadership and authority in the weeks he's been gone (and Ray making her a VP probably contributed too).

This is a good opportunity to see how they work together as two people with the same mission, without all the feels and romance.  Can Felicity really shut Oliver out of her heart?  How is Oliver going to take having Felicity shut him out instead of him shutting her out as he usually does?

I'm hoping for the best in terms of writing in the next batch of episodes.

• Love 3

I feel like she has been shutting him down for awhile now. Other than a bit in the crossover, she's been pretty much all business with him since she walked away from the kiss.

Agree.

Als I'm pretty sure Oliver will respect Felicity's boundaries.

Frankly I'm not seeing any new ground bring tread here that, hasn't been done in 3A.

They are already working with tension. They didn't touch eachother from 3.02-3.09.

Felicity's time is already divided between palmer and Team Arrow.

Oliver is still prioritising the Arrow over himself

It's been half a season and going round in circles.

The only character development has been Luarel's and they had to twist everyone around in circles to get there.

Based off the way 2A & 3A played out they is a long stretch of "meh" ahead.

Edited by Genki
  • Love 6

She's been all business with him but she still wanted him.  Now she doesn't.

And now he knows it.  No more "And you know how I feel about her" dangling maybes.  Up to now he's had it all his way, now he's going to have to deal with the reality that it's not so much that she's move on to someone else but that she's shut the door on him and locked it.

It may be a retread of 3A, but this is the Hopes thread.

She's been all business with him but she still wanted him.  Now she doesn't.

And now he knows it.  No more "And you know how I feel about her" dangling maybes.  Up to now he's had it all his way, now he's going to have to deal with the reality that it's not so much that she's move on to someone else but that she's shut the door on him and locked it.

It may be a retread of 3A, but this is the Hopes thread.

She still wants him otherwise we wouldn't have a triangle which truth be told the thought of Raylicity sickens me so....

• Love 2

This is a good opportunity to see how they work together as two people with the same mission, without all the feels and romance.  Can Felicity really shut Oliver out of her heart?  How is Oliver going to take having Felicity shut him out instead of him shutting her out as he usually does?

I'm hoping for the best in terms of writing in the next batch of episodes.

I understand what you mean, and if they can pull it off, I'm all for it. The thing is, I'm not totally convinced they can. We're debating different things:)

• Love 1

I think it depends on how important Felicity is as a character, which translates into how much effort they put into writing her.  She wasn't important in 2B until they needed to set up the mansion scene.  But she (and EBR) has had a lot of press in the past year so I'm hoping they won't just use her for a hat peg to hang Ray on.

I wonder if this show will be like the original Star Trek movies where the even-numbered ones were the good ones and the odd-numbered ones were the bad ones...

Arrow Season 1 - love triangle (yawn...)

Arrow Season 2 - Team Arrow (yay!)

Arrow Season 3 (so far) - SWF/M (wtf?)

• Love 3

I fear that Ray Palmer (BR) is going to be promoted to regular cast next season.  With all the emphasis on costumes, what do you bet that the Season 4 cast poster is going to be -

Oliver/Arrow in the center, with Ray/Atom on one side and Laurel/BC on the other.  Diggle and Felicity will be relegated to the background on one side, while Roy and Thea will be relegated to the background on the other side.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if someone at The CW isn't already designing this poster.  If they're smart, they'll make the Season 4 poster more of an equal, mixed up shot - with some standing, some sitting, but not in some straight line formation - where it'll be hard to tell who's in the foreground and who's in the background.  But based on the poor job they did with the Season 3 poster, I'm not hopeful.

• Love 2

I fear that Ray Palmer (BR) is going to be promoted to regular cast next season.  With all the emphasis on costumes, what do you bet that the Season 4 cast poster is going to be -

Oliver/Arrow in the center, with Ray/Atom on one side and Laurel/BC on the other.  Diggle and Felicity will be relegated to the background on one side, while Roy and Thea will be relegated to the background on the other side.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if someone at The CW isn't already designing this poster.  If they're smart, they'll make the Season 4 poster more of an equal, mixed up shot - with some standing, some sitting, but not in some straight line formation - where it'll be hard to tell who's in the foreground and who's in the background.  But based on the poor job they did with the Season 3 poster, I'm not hopeful.

I think Ray full-time on the Arrow S4 will be the point where I "peace-out" from Arrow.

• Love 2

I think Ray will be back next season but not for more than he was this year...which was/is rather a lot.  I'm actually banking on fewer episodes with the idea that they try to spin him off.  Though if that fails he could either be a regular reoccurring or just gone after that. 

I think, if things don't get better in a major way by the end of the season, I'm going to do my best to disconnect from the show and the fandom for good. It's just not healthy for me to continue to spend so much time on a show that will never be what I want it to be. I know I said that last year and here I am, but even the most dedicated wishful thinking has to give up the ghost sometime. :(

I want Laurel gone. I want Ray gone. I want Malcolm dead, permanently. I want Quentin to live, but that's not a make-or-break point. Diggle's death would definitely be a breaking point (referring to the post above).

I want the show to get back to good storytelling, as opposed to plot-driving-characters and cramming too much story into too little time. And I want the female characters to be characters in their own right, rather than props for the male characters' stories.

Now am I going to get any of that? Yeah probably not. That's what I thought. :(

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 7

But - but Laurel and Felicity are going to be BFFs this season, so aren't you excited about the possibility that they could be sisters?  I mean, look at what an awesome sisterly bond Laurel shared with Sara.

Based on the adorable picture posted of Mama Smoak and Captain Lance and their evident shipability, the unintended consequences were brought up aka, Felicity and Laurel running the chance of becoming step-sisters which for some is way too close to the original sister swapping mess we started with. 

I think it's different enough for it not to be an issue for me, but it occurred to me it could possibly be just the kind of bonus drama that the show runners might actually see as a positive in giving QL a romance.  It's such a long shot but I soooo really would love the pairing, I'm willing to let TPTB have their weird crap. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

Well, Malcolm is a full on cast member this season and we really haven't seen him that much, so it might not be so bad if the same happens with Ray next season.

I think Barrowman will be gone next season so they'll have more budget for Routh, although what will they do with Ray if there is no spin-off?

Forget about the acting budget... Personally I think JB is worth the $, BR is questionably worth the $, I still can't figure out if it is him I don't like or if the writing for him as just been so lackluster. But just exactly how much did that suit cost?? MG said it was a lot. I personally don't even think its that good of a suit for the amount of $ spent on it. Maybe we can get some of that budget money back next year and spend in on Arrow, not some possible spin-off. But that's a little bitter.

Here is my hope for the spin-off. The CW has been talking about summer program for the last few seasons. They have moved one of my favorite shows BATB to summer, which at first I was not happy with it. But now, Im fine with it. It gives me something to watch while all the other summer crap or reruns are on. And if it keeps getting me seasons of my show, I'm game. Anyway, why I mention this, is I think that Mark Pedowitz is looking for shows to fill up his summer schedule. What better show to attract the coveted male audience, than a Justice League/ATOM spin off? It could also promote Flash & Arrow, because they could have the characters drop in for a few episodes throughout the summer. It would help to sell the comics and it would help with those summer jumps, because we could still check in on the characters when they guest on ATOM/JL. I think it would be brillant. There is also less pressure for the show to do so well out of the gate or carry as big an audience because its summer. So it would be a soft entry for ATOM/JL. Because let's face it there is not a lot of room in the current Fall/Spring roster for a new CW show. And I do hope the ATOM is off ARROW as a main player by next year. I don't mind having BR hang out on a few episodes, but every week will be just too much. Its the perfect solution, win/win all around.

• Love 3

When the writers introduced Ray Palmer as a love interest for Felicity something didn't seem right to me. I thought maybe the age difference, he seems 8-10 years older than her. I decided that wasn't it because it is not all that odd.

When I woke up this morning it hit me the writers love creepy and gross relationships, I.e. Laurel and Sara with Oliver. What if he is either her brother, too creepy for me, or her cousin?

She finds out by some comment that he drops on her and she thinks about it for a while does an Internet search and finds out they are related. He kissed her, it felt off to him and that's why he stopped. Fantasy yes, possibility why not?

Forgot to add. The Lord Mesa drawing of the atom suit looks better than the actual suit. I believe it's because the visor is more of a bubble.

Edited by Lisin

When I woke up this morning it hit me the writers love creepy and gross relationships, I.e. Laurel and Sara with Oliver. What if he is either her brother, too creepy for me, or her cousin?

She finds out by some comment that he drops on her and she thinks about it for a while does an Internet search and finds out they are related. He kissed her, it felt off to him and that's why he stopped. Fantasy yes, possibility why not?

If it keeps Felicity out of his bed, I say, Bring it on!

My guess, and my fear is that we are going to have Ray/Felicity sexy times.  Your scenario, as creepy as the kiss might be, is better.

So this is pure speculation, but in threads people were talking about a lounge 2.0. After watching 313, I could speculate/hope that felicity & Oliver are lunge 2.0, I have no idea if it would ruin their plans or what it might mean for them. But I see their romantic tension bumping up a notch as episodes go on & they attempt to deny their feelings. I mean that stare between them during their fight over "we can't go back" had a lot of heat & the way Oliver licked his lips. I can see it happening. All I'm saying is that there must be a big payoff for all of this angst. So my hope is a lunge 2.0 would be F&O.

So this is pure speculation, but in threads people were talking about a lounge 2.0. After watching 313, I could speculate/hope that felicity & Oliver are lunge 2.0, I have no idea if it would ruin their plans or what it might mean for them. But I see their romantic tension bumping up a notch as episodes go on & they attempt to deny their feelings. I mean that stare between them during their fight over "we can't go back" had a lot of heat & the way Oliver licked his lips. I can see it happening. All I'm saying is that there must be a big payoff for all of this angst. So my hope is a lunge 2.0 would be F&O.

The only Lunge 2.0 I'd accept would be Between Oliver and Felicity.

• Love 2

I hope Laurel, Ray and Malcolm are not in Season Four (sorry BR and JB). There are too many characters and I think a lot of the problems that they have right now (inconsistent characterization, convoluted plots, missed emotional beats) are due to trying to fit everyone into the story.

Edited by drspaceman10
  • Love 9

This is what is wrong with this season .... Too many characters, too many story lines and nothing gets told properly making it a hotchpotch of tales badly told.

They need to cut down their caste and tell a more believable story.

• Love 2

Up until the second half of this season, I loved that Felicity was a hero without a mask and costume - a relatively normal, albeit geek genius, girl.  However, if it will give Felicity her own story, then I hope she does become a costumed superhero in her own right - Artemis or whatever.  Anything to get her off prop duty.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Loved ones dying around Oliver makes me think of Legends of the Fall, that movie where everyone who loved Tristan (played by Brad Pitt) died while he lived to be an old man: "I thought Tristan would never live to be an old man. I was wrong about that. I was wrong about many things. It was those who loved him most who died young. He was a rock they broke themselves against however much he tried to protect them."

I really hope that Arrow is not headed in that tragic direction where everyone who loves Oliver the most will die.

• Love 2

Here is a crazy thought.  Any thoughts on whether Oliver is on a mental island compared to Original Team Arrow - on PURPOSE. Like the writers have a plan on this craziness.  Diggle has faded into the background (presence-wise) on purpose, Felicity is trying to diversify her vigilante portfolio (because ANGST).   

Maybe that's his lesson.  He's trying to justify two vendettas (Ra's and Merlin) and it costs him Digg and Felicity.

At this point, I like the idea of my Girl Felicity going to Flash more. she is valued (screen presence wise) a lot more over there.  Once the Laurel love is done, she can come back and take over.

Here is a crazy thought.  Any thoughts on whether Oliver is on a mental island compared to Original Team Arrow - on PURPOSE. Like the writers have a plan on this craziness.  Diggle has faded into the background (presence-wise) on purpose, Felicity is trying to diversify her vigilante portfolio (because ANGST).   

Maybe that's his lesson.  He's trying to justify two vendettas (Ra's and Merlin) and it costs him Digg and Felicity.

At this point, I like the idea of my Girl Felicity going to Flash more. she is valued (screen presence wise) a lot more over there.  Once the Laurel love is done, she can come back and take over.

If Felicity moved over to Flash I'd like it to be without Ray. But then again I want Laurel off Arrow and Oliver and Felicity together and for Felicity to get her own story

I loved the Crossover and how well Team Flarrow worked together. I wish Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity could move to The Flash permanently and leave Roy, Laurel, and Ray to bungle their way through protecting Starling City.

• Love 5

I was thinking about this but, what will happen to Starling City in the season finale?

First season it was an earthquake then last season a bunch of super soldier destroying the city. So what will happen to the city this time?

I was thinking about this but, what will happen to Starling City in the season finale?

First season it was an earthquake then last season a bunch of super soldier destroying the city. So what will happen to the city this time?

I wonder what they can do after the last two season finales. I'm almost thinking something like maybe Team Arrow has to leave Starling City at the end of the season Maybe? Diggle accepts a Job for A.R.G.U.S. Oliver and Thea leave Town. Felicity(and possibly Ray) go to Central City. Roy goes to Bludhaven. I'd love for Oliver Thea and Felicity to leave Town together though lol

What happens to Starling in the finale? Some guesses:

1) Laurel wears her costume during the day and the entire populace is blinded by the reflections off her buckles. She, of course, refuses to tell anyone she was involved and the whole city is quarantined. 

2) It sinks into the sea due to the sheer weight of the stupidity of decisions Oliver and others are making this season.

3) Ray's experiments shrink the entire city and he puts it in a bottle. 

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 11

Loved ones dying around Oliver makes me think of Legends of the Fall, that movie where everyone who loved Tristan (played by Brad Pitt) died while he lived to be an old man: "I thought Tristan would never live to be an old man. I was wrong about that. I was wrong about many things. It was those who loved him most who died young. He was a rock they broke themselves against however much he tried to protect them."

I really hope that Arrow is not headed in that tragic direction where everyone who loves Oliver the most will die.

I hated that movie.  I hated Tristan.  Don't make Oliver Tristan.  :(

I wonder what they can do after the last two season finales.

It wouldn't surprise me if the big event is the release or attempted release of that omega virus or whatever its called.  I wouldn't be shocked if the team goes off in their own directions but I'm hoping for something different for Oliver.  I want him to stay in Starling (or Star) and be Oliver Queen and it be his choice, not something he's forced into.  Then I want him to learn next season why he needs to be / can be both Oliver and the Arrow. 

I hated that movie. I hated Tristan. Don't make Oliver Tristan. :(

It wouldn't surprise me if the big event is the release or attempted release of that omega virus or whatever its called. I wouldn't be shocked if the team goes off in their own directions but I'm hoping for something different for Oliver. I want him to stay in Starling (or Star) and be Oliver Queen and it be his choice, not something he's forced into. Then I want him to learn next season why he needs to be / can be both Oliver and the Arrow.

Isn't this season about him needing to be/Can be both? If the team goes off in different directions I want Oliver to do it with Felicity by his side sorry/not sorry lol

And I really think Ra's will get a hold of that Omega virus and threaten to wipe out Starling City.

Edited by jay741982

They've been playing up the Omega virus as a really bad thing the last few episodes, and the show does tend to make each season finale a worse threat than before so it makes sense.  S1 had the Undertaking but that was only in the Glades.  S2 had both Slade and Amanda Waller set to destroy the whole city; s3 has to go bigger and a virus over the whole countryside sounds like it.

The only problem is that with all the new superheroes suiting up, there should be a lot of fighting. But the virus sounds more like stealth than beating people up, which is Laurel's favorite pastime.  And would Ray Palmer be fighting as The Atom, or getting the virus as the scientist he is?