Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

Where Do We Go From Here? The Alienist Speculation

Recommended Posts

A spot to discuss the potential future of The Alienist; is a second season feasible? How would it work?

Share this post


Link to post

10 hours ago, emma675 said:

I haven't read the book yet but could this show have another season or is this a one and done?

Not sure if this has been responded to (when I quote something it takes me right to my new post) but I was wondering same thing. I have downloaded both Alienist AND THE SEQUEL on my Kindle to read when S1 is over ... I've heard the sequel is not quite as good a read, but if it is indeed a sequel then I'd think there COULD be an S2? I read fast so I don't want to start until I've finished S1. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, emma675 said:

 

I've come to love all of these characters so much, I can't believe next week is the final episode. I haven't read the book yet but could this show have another season or is this a one and done?

I know there is a second book, so maybe.  I haven't read them either, and I don't want to look anything up because I don't want to be spoiled for next week.

Edited by 88Keys · Reason: there, not their
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

There is much chatter about how we don't want this to end and is there hope for a season two.

I have not read the books, just let me state that. The second book could possibly have a second season in it. But, how many series, movies, and mini-series have we seen where the writers took the characters and wrote new material? There has been such a good response to this I am hoping that is what will happen here. 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post

I definitely want a second season, and the actors have all said they're up for doing another. A second season would definitely be cheaper to film, since they already have all the sets built. They could do the second book, which takes place a year after the first one, or they could write an entirely new script. But I wonder if the author would allow that. It seems like TNT only has the rights to the first book. But reading this article, it seems that Carr is interested in having all the books made into a show or movie. But then he also said “My contribution was neither sought or when it was volunteered, paid attention to.” so I'm not sure how willing he would be to hand over his second and third book for adaptation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I am hoping that once he sees the response to the show he will allow a second season. I think his book sales will reflect new interest coming from the show. The article was good, thank you. 

Hope springs eternal.?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Not sure if this has been responded to (when I quote something it takes me right to my new post) but I was wondering same thing. I have downloaded both Alienist AND THE SEQUEL on my Kindle to read when S1 is over ... I've heard the sequel is not quite as good a read, but if it is indeed a sequel then I'd think there COULD be an S2? I read fast so I don't want to start until I've finished S1. 

Everything I've read so far has this listed as a mini series, so one and done. BUT, I would love for there to be more seasons. I don't know why TNT does this to me. I loved the mini series, Mob City years ago and never understood why they didn't even try for a season 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, WednesdayAddams said:

Everything I've read so far has this listed as a mini series, so one and done. BUT, I would love for there to be more seasons. I don't know why TNT does this to me. I loved the mini series, Mob City years ago and never understood why they didn't even try for a season 2. 

TNT calls it a Limited Series, and here's an explanation:

Quote

 

Limited series and miniseries are not interchangeable. Limited series indicates that a network sees potential in a show to continue for many seasons, but the actual seasons themselves needn’t be 22 episodes long. It can also refer to a show the network wants to try out in smaller doses with the possibility of renewal based on how well it does in the ratings.

http://screenertv.com/news-features/what-is-the-difference-between-a-miniseries-limited-series-and-event-series/

 

So there's still hope for a season 2!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I also never understood why Caleb Carr never continued the series, i alway hoped a third book would be narrated by Sarah so we could get her backstory and thoughts. If there is truly a new book written I fear  a 20 year gap might hinder the style or characters.  I guess I'll trust Caleb Carr to be faithful to his characters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

I also never understood why Caleb Carr never continued the series, i alway hoped a third book would be narrated by Sarah so we could get her backstory and thoughts. If there is truly a new book written I fear  a 20 year gap might hinder the style or characters.  I guess I'll trust Caleb Carr to be faithful to his characters.

There are supposed to be two more books. I’m putting the details under the cut just to be safe but I’m a total spoilerphobe who hasn’t read the fIrst two books and I didn’t find the descriptions spoilery. 

Quote

On April 11, 2016, Entertainment Weekly announced that Caleb Carr will author two new books, one that will be a sequel, and one a prequel, to "The Alienist". 

Info about the sequel (which is supposed to be out in 2019):

Spoiler

The first will be a sequel, set 20 years after The Angel of Darkness, in 1915 New York City, and is “centered on nativist violence and terrorism during America’s involvement in World War I".

Info about the prequel (no estimated release date yet):

Spoiler

The second book, the prequel will be called "The Strange Case of Miss Sarah X", and will see a youthful Kreizler, after finishing his psychology training at Harvard, fall under the spell of William James, have his first run-in with Roosevelt, and delve into the secret life of Sara Howard.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, callmebetty said:

I also never understood why Caleb Carr never continued the series, i alway hoped a third book would be narrated by Sarah so we could get her backstory and thoughts. If there is truly a new book written I fear  a 20 year gap might hinder the style or characters.  I guess I'll trust Caleb Carr to be faithful to his characters.

I don't think the second book sold well......  You can only continue the series if someone wants to publish them.

I read the first book and was so bored that I don't remember who the killer is.  I certainly wasn't going to pay for a sequel.

Seeing it dramatized is much more interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I don't think the second book sold well......  You can only continue the series if someone wants to publish them.

I thought this quote from Carr was interesting.

Quote

“It seemed like a really futile struggle to continue the series when there was no interest in making a decent product out of the first book, much less the second book, much less a future book,” 

It's like he only wanted to continue the story if it could be made into a film or show. But from what I've read about the 3rd and 4th book, it would be hard to film them as part of the same series as the 1st and 2nd book.

 

43 minutes ago, AttackTurtle said:

The actor playing John has a really bright career ahead of him if this is anything to go by.

I'm sorry but this made me chuckle. Luke Evans has had some big roles in some big movies: Beauty and the Beast, The Hobbit, Dracula Untold, The Three Musketeers, Clash of the Titans. But I'm glad you are enjoying his performance! :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

At the end of the 'Inside the Episode ' video for season 1, episode 10, the director/executive producer says:

Quote

... leaving the first season with that big question; Why do we kill? Why are we evil? Which is a good way into a second season where we might find these answers.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I would like to see John's relationship with Joseph. I don't know if he would necessarily be living with John and Gram, although that could be interesting. He more than likely would be staying at a place similar to Laszlo's institute. But he could come for visits and he and Gram could could play cards and eat fig newtons. :)

I'd like to see Sara still working at the police department and hopefully having more responsibility. Maybe there could be a few other women working there too. Teddy would still be there, and would be more tough and gregarious.

Perhaps John did start writing again and is going to try to get published. He probably has less work as an illustrator with the camera becoming more popular. I don't really want to see him with Sara, so hopefully they're just friends, with Sara focusing on her career

I'm not sure about Laszlo. I imagine not much has changed for him, although hopefully he's more open and friendly.

And of course another murder comes along, and the group, including the Isaacsons, reassembles to solve it.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

We need to find Laszlo a girl. 

I would like to see continued banter back and forth with Sara and John. She needs to work on her career like you said @pezgirl7 and John can pine after her and help Joseph. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2018 at 12:25 PM, pezgirl7 said:

I definitely want a second season, and the actors have all said they're up for doing another. A second season would definitely be cheaper to film, since they already have all the sets built. They could do the second book, which takes place a year after the first one, or they could write an entirely new script. But I wonder if the author would allow that. It seems like TNT only has the rights to the first book. But reading this article, it seems that Carr is interested in having all the books made into a show or movie. But then he also said “My contribution was neither sought or when it was volunteered, paid attention to.” so I'm not sure how willing he would be to hand over his second and third book for adaptation.

There will almost surely be a second season. 

Before the show runners started playing coy about a "possible" season two, Daniel Bruhl noted that "I signed on to play this character for three seasons." 

As for Carr, he's pretty cranky; I challenge anyone to read several about him in which he does not get angry and complain about something. He has clearly always wanted this series of books to be made into a movie or TV show; in fact, the fact that they were not is one of his stated reasons for not continuing the series. 

Personally, I believe that the precautionary measure of having Bruhl sign on for three seasons indicates that TNT and the show runners have always intended to have this show go on for at least three seasons, it was merely an issue of varifying their (correct) assumption that the ratings would be high and merit a second venture.

Even if on the off chance Carr refuses to give the rights to the second season, they could easily invent their own, using the already established characters and setting. 

Personally, I believe that John and Sarah will clearly get married at the end of the second season; that Sarah will clearly triumph as some great detective; and that Lazlo will continue to be angsty and moody. 

Whether any of this is even remotely realistic for time period is another matter. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Hazel55 said:

Before the show runners started playing coy about a "possible" season two, Daniel Bruhl noted that "I signed on to play this character for three seasons." 

As for Carr, he's pretty cranky; I challenge anyone to read several about him in which he does not get angry and complain about something. He has clearly always wanted this series of books to be made into a movie or TV show; in fact, the fact that they were not is one of his stated reasons for not continuing the series. 

Do you remember when or where Daniel stated that?

I agree about Carr. He seems super cranky. I just hope TNT has the rights to the characters and can continue the story how they want.

I cannot picture Laszlo dating at all! I feel like it would be a series of comedic errors. I'd also love to hear why people think John and Sara should be together. I don't really feel any romantic tension between them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

 

I cannot picture Laszlo dating at all! I feel like it would be a series of comedic errors. I'd also love to hear why people think John and Sara should be together. I don't really feel any romantic tension between them.

Laszlo dating would be comical. We need something in a very dark drama to have a little chuckle at periodically. Wouldn't it be great to watch him nervous as a fifteen year old boy on his first date? Maybe the dominatrix lady. Woo hoo!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

That would be interesting, to see who would be interested in Laszlo, and viceversa. I remember what the dominatrix said,  that he would feel attracted to someone who didn´t care about his intelligence, which was exactly like Mary, not impressed with "DOCTOR" Kreizler and his work, and the opposite of Sara.

WRT John and Sara, I don´t feel romantic tension yet. There is a mutual affection from knowing each other for so long, and from his side an admiration of the woman she´s become.  But I feel this adventure has changed the perception they might have had of one another. John was remorseful about not helping Joseph as much as he could. He could improve himself, not just to please her, but as a real desire to do better, and then, who knows? She could be impressed with him, real feelings could develop. 

I'm just glad they didn´t force it on this season, it would have been ridiculous.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hey gang, just checking in with everyone. I really missed watching a new episode this week. Thank goodness that MEtv brought back WKRP in Cincinnati this week, that helped plug the hole in my heart. 

How are y'all doing?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Reality police said:

Hey gang, just checking in with everyone. I really missed watching a new episode this week. Thank goodness that MEtv brought back WKRP in Cincinnati this week, that helped plug the hole in my heart. 

How are y'all doing?

I miss the show too. It comes to Netflix outside the US in two weeks, so maybe we'll get some new posters then. They've been promoting it a little, and Luke Evans posted this BTS shot.

I started watching The Terror on AMC, but it's not nearly as good as The Alienist. If this show doesn't get some Emmy or Golden Globe noms, even for set decoration, I'm going to be very annoyed.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

They've been promoting it a little, and Luke Evans posted this BTS shot.

That's too much cuteness right there. 

Though I had some issues with plot and pacing, I hope the show comes back.  I generally liked all the performances and there are more stories to tell even if they don't do the second book.

I wouldn't want any romance between our leads with each other; outsiders are fine, but I would rather they be working friends. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Wrt the John/Sarah pairing: the lack of chemistry would be historically appropriate. People generally married for social reasons and for Sarah it'd be a good way to be recognized in her social circles while being allowed by her husband to continue the police work she loves (she wouldn't find any other husband willing to let her work). As for John, he likes and respects her, which is more than what most men felt about their wives. There's a painting that summarizes the perfect relationship for the times and it's called "Woman: man's best companion". I'm not kidding.  In high society women were supposed to be, first, decorative, second, about as smart and willfull as pets, third, baby-machines. So, it'd be a great pairing since both are looking for unconventiional companions.

Did you notice how Sarah grows assertive? At the end, she leaves the tower and the police officers move to let her pass as if she were an officer.

The next limited series would include the whole gang again and another strange mystery that requires or Roosevelt to call his the alienist team. :) It's not like NYC in the late 19th century was lacking in crimes.

Edited by MYOS
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't find John and Sarah to lack chemistry, I think they have a lot of chemistry, otherwise I wouldn't want to them to get together. LOL I'm not a shipper by habit(meaning I'm not one of those people who just always needs to have a 'ship and always finds one, more often than not I don't want one) I'm not sure what do people expect for them to be acting like they want to rip each other's clothes off every time they meet? I'm just unsure what is being looked for in terms of chemistry? They have their disagreements but they are often very charming together which IMO is a better indicator of whether relationship might work and  be happy and loving long term than "I'm undressing you with my eyes every time we're in the same room".  And there isn't a lack of physical chemistry, it's just respectful.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

2 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

I don't find John and Sarah to lack chemistry, I think they have a lot of chemistry, otherwise I wouldn't want to them to get together. LOL I'm not a shipper by habit(meaning I'm not one of those people who just always needs to have a 'ship and always finds one, more often than not I don't want one) I'm not sure what do people expect for them to be acting like they want to rip each other's clothes off every time they meet? I'm just unsure what is being looked for in terms of chemistry? They have their disagreements but they are often very charming together which IMO is a better indicator of whether relationship might work and  be happy and loving long term than "I'm undressing you with my eyes every time we're in the same room".  And there isn't a lack of physical chemistry, it's just respectful.

Sometimes a slow burn is the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

I'm just unsure what is being looked for in terms of chemistry?

I just want to see some romantic interest from Sara. I didn't see any until the last episode, and it wasn't even when they kissed. It was when she told John that she had been teasing him earlier when she said that perhaps she was in love with Laszlo. When they kissed, she just kinda stared at him with a faint smile. I just want to see more smiles, more laughs, more interest in wanting to be around him. Mary never said a word to Laszlo, and yet I could sense there was something between them. Even when Laszlo walked in and out of the kitchen, and Mary had her back to him the whole time, I got the feeling that they cared for each.

John and Sara's very last scene together was more of what I wanted, but it came too late. If they continue to be that way around each other next season, then maybe I could see them as a couple. But I still think John would be better with someone who wears their heart on their sleeve, like he does.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/30/2018 at 9:27 PM, Reality police said:

Laszlo dating would be comical. We need something in a very dark drama to have a little chuckle at periodically. Wouldn't it be great to watch him nervous as a fifteen year old boy on his first date? Maybe the dominatrix lady. Woo hoo!

 

On 3/30/2018 at 10:44 PM, minamurray78 said:

That would be interesting, to see who would be interested in Laszlo, and viceversa. I remember what the dominatrix said,  that he would feel attracted to someone who didn´t care about his intelligence, which was exactly like Mary, not impressed with "DOCTOR" Kreizler and his work, and the opposite of Sara.

WRT John and Sara, I don´t feel romantic tension yet. There is a mutual affection from knowing each other for so long, and from his side an admiration of the woman she´s become.  But I feel this adventure has changed the perception they might have had of one another. John was remorseful about not helping Joseph as much as he could. He could improve himself, not just to please her, but as a real desire to do better, and then, who knows? She could be impressed with him, real feelings could develop. 

I'm just glad they didn´t force it on this season, it would have been ridiculous.

Maybe he will start dating the dominatrix lady or become one of her clients? He seems to be filled with some self-hate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

If season 2 can open with Byrnes’ grisly death, I’ll be pleased as punch. The mystery can then maybe be prominent folk being taken out this time. Otherwise, I doubt anyone would care much about it. Maybe include the papers into the investigation in some way so there’s a reason to revisit Cyrus’ niece.

Definitely Joseph in some capacity, maybe struggling to adjust to life off the streets. And John growing greyer by the day because of the struggle. I’d also want some clarification about his brother’s death and any explanation about his relationship with his father. And yes, I definitely want to see his and Sara’s relationship evolve. The moment I think she actually showed most interest was when he was holding Joseph. I think that’s when her guard came down a bit. I’m interested in her private life as well as her professional life. Has she been keeping herself mostly apart before teamin up? We’ve only seen her with her old college friends (which didn’t look like a regular occasion for her, and definitely not one she enjoyed) and her maid outside of work. Is there or isn’t there more to her world?

If Laszlo kept evolving as a person, that would be great. Giving John the ring he intended for Mary was wonderfully open and optimistic in the face of his loss. He’s also willing to learn as the first season ends, so I’m interested to see how long that extends into the second season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/8/2018 at 11:12 AM, bijoux said:

If season 2 can open with Byrnes’ grisly death, I’ll be pleased as punch. The mystery can then maybe be prominent folk being taken out this time. Otherwise, I doubt anyone would care much about it. Maybe include the papers into the investigation in some way so there’s a reason to revisit Cyrus’ niece.

Definitely Joseph in some capacity, maybe struggling to adjust to life off the streets. And John growing greyer by the day because of the struggle. I’d also want some clarification about his brother’s death and any explanation about his relationship with his father. And yes, I definitely want to see his and Sara’s relationship evolve. The moment I think she actually showed most interest was when he was holding Joseph. I think that’s when her guard came down a bit. I’m interested in her private life as well as her professional life. Has she been keeping herself mostly apart before teamin up? We’ve only seen her with her old college friends (which didn’t look like a regular occasion for her, and definitely not one she enjoyed) and her maid outside of work. Is there or isn’t there more to her world?

If Laszlo kept evolving as a person, that would be great. Giving John the ring he intended for Mary was wonderfully open and optimistic in the face of his loss. He’s also willing to learn as the first season ends, so I’m interested to see how long that extends into the second season.

I'm really looking forward to "Season 2". I want to see all those things you mention.   When will it air? 2020?  I remember how long this first season seemed to take.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size