Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E18: E hoʻokō kuleana (To Do One's Duty)

• Start Topic

The ex-wife of the man who shot Danny comes to Oahu and reveals how Danny's protection during a dangerous domestic dispute when he was in New Jersey helped save her life. Also, Tani and Junior are assigned to walk the beat as uniformed officers for the day, and Adam is framed for the murder of the crime boss he has been tracking. The episode was directed by series star Alex O'Loughlin. Jimmy Buffett returns as Frank Bama.

Original Airdate: March 30, 2018

SOURCE: https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=49746

Danny's ex, Rachel (Claire van der Boom), is among the guest stars/recurring characters in this episode (along with her & Danny's son, Charlie; their daughter Gracie is MIA, however).

Rachel has the last name "Hollander" in the ep, according to the cast list. So either we're gonna see Rachel in scenes that supposedly took place back in Jersey before she & Danny were married, or else Rachel's divorce from Stan is final & she had her maiden/birth name restored as 1 of the things she asked for in the divorce.

I think it's interesting--& I actually like--that they came up with "Hollander" for an apparently maiden name for Rachel. This is because (& I dunno if it actually had anything to do with that, or not) Claire's of Dutch (Holland) descent in real life, having the last name "van der Boom". So it fits, & it's a nice nod if it wasn't happily coincidental.

• Love 1

Rather odd (ridiculous!) that in all their searching for the 'unknown' assailant who shot Danny in the hospital the guy wasn't easily (like almost immediately) identified as someone who he'd helped put away in the past, even if Danny couldn't recognise him (although I think I would have - he looked pretty much the same to me). Maybe they all need to go back to the basics of the beat cops.

I was disappointed with the idea that Danny had made a move on the abused wife - I was really hoping that it would be specifically revealled there had been no relationship other than that of a concerned cop going over and above (whereas the notion of loverDanno took the 'over and above part' too far. Ha!) and that he had only heroically told the asshole husband that it was him to goad him into beating him up in front of witnesses and thereby get him sent away. Do others think that is what happened? *curious* . Personally, that is what I am going to chose to believe because I am a Danny fan but there should have been a line in there to confirm it IMHO.

So nice to see Rachel again and young Rachel too (although I always thought it was canon that she had driven into the back of his squad car - am I wrong about that?)

Tani & Junior are great together - the carguments and all the backstory and the humour, that was nice stuff.

Edited by Roselle
  • Love 3

TOTALLY agree on this and was thinking maybe that's what was happening until. 1. The wife said, "I didn't tell him about us" and 2. They had a flashback to them getting it on.

Damn - You're right - I think I must have blanked that flashback out of my memory, maybe in the hopes the writers would have had better sense and actually care more about Danny's characterisation. But no. *sigh* It would have been so much better the other way.

Not only would it have been "wrong" for Danny to have had a fling with the wife, it was unbelievably stupid!  He knew the husband was violent and dangerous so you do something that might provoke him to kill her or you or both??  What else can they do to destroy the character of Danny?  They've written him as a jerk most of the time, now they decided to make him a total dummy to boot! 

• Love 2

I don't know why but I expected more from the who shot Danny story. The plan was very thought out and meticulous with there being no clues to how the guy was or why he wanted to kill Danny. It all boils down to sleeping with some guys wife and getting him thrown in jail 20 years prior. Makes up wonder how horrible 5-0 is at there job of they can't find a guy who went to prison. I'm sure Danny arrested alot of people in 20 years but getting beat up by a guy and hooking up with his wife should leave a lasting memory or at least a "I know this guy I just can't place him" kinda thing. Did this guy always want revenge on Danny but couldn't find him (because Google isn't a thing) or uncle random brought back the memory of Danny to this random dude. I feel like the writers painted themselves into a corner with this story.

Yup Danny is super gross for putting the moves on a woman that is/was in the process of leaving an abusive relationship. He didn't even leave town for the bruises to heal before he worked his way in there. And are we supposed to find it romantic that right after he left one woman he meets Rachel. Young Danny is yucky. How am I supposed to believe that he has feelings for either woman when he goes from one to the next in the span of an afternoon. 

Oh Adam you need to go find Kono and stay with her. She can protect you from yourself because Hawaii is just not a good place for you. And wasn't he like a competent business man at some point because this guy can't handle anything. 

Loved Tani and Junior in the car. It's nice to see the show remember that this guys were pretty much given a free pass to 5-0. They would make terrible beat cops. Making that kid paint the whole wall was great. 

What is Steve. I know he is Commander Mcgarrett but wouldn't he have lost that title when he left the Navy. He isn't a Commander in the HPD so what is his cop rank or is he not a cop? I just want to see Steve ride around in a uniform and be a beat cop for a day. If the kids have to do it he sure as hell should to.

• Love 3

It's hilarious to me the way Adam kept talking about "my task force" to the interrogator. It's just him and one sketchy girl. At this point, I feel like his task force is an elaborate practical joke Steve is playing on him.

Completely agree about young Danny crossing an ethical line. I too was hoping he was lying to the husband about being the one sleeping with the wife in order to provoke him, but the flashback dashed that. And honestly, are we supposed to believe that dumb trash heap of a wifebeater managed to not only find out that Danny was in quarantine, but also breach the quarantine room, lock everyone else out, and somehow conceal his own identity even after his death? Nah.

I would watch the hell out of a show that was just Tani and Junior as beat cops.

• Love 3

It was canon that Rachel hit Danny in a squad car - this is how he told Steve about their first meeting back in season 1 (Heihei):

She was new to the States and, uh, she wasn't used to driving on the right side of the road and, um, she saw a cop car and she got flustered, so she rear-ended me. So I get out of the car and I offer to give her driving lessons - instead of giving her a ticket.

Yeah, it's possible she saw another police car and got flustered and hit Danny in his private car but the way the scene played out in season one was definitely pointing towards the scenario of her hitting Danny's squad car. 

I agree Danny hooking up with a victim of domestic abuse was all sorts of wrong - the whole plot felt so contrived that I expected the lady to be greeted by a blonde teenage daughter in her hotel room. 

Adam runs the worst task-force ever. And what are the odds that the CI is also his mysterious half-sister?

Not a big fan of Tani and Junior's attitude that they're too good for doing beat cop duty. Yet their plot was still the only enjoyable thing about this episode.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Adam runs the worst task-force ever. And what are the odds that the CI is also his mysterious half-sister?

He'll find out after they do the horizontal hula.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

It was canon that Rachel hit Danny in a squad car - this is how he told Steve about their first meeting back in season 1 (Heihei):

Yeah, it's possible she saw another police car and got flustered and hit Danny in his private car but the way the scene played out in season one was definitely pointing towards the scenario of her hitting Danny's squad car. 

Not a big fan of Tani and Junior's attitude that they're too good for doing beat cop duty. Yet their plot was still the only enjoyable thing about this episode.

Jessie is far too young.  Steve said the female DNA was 35-40 yrs old.

Okay, if Ray was booked for assault on Danny, there’s no way his fingerprints wouldn’t be in the system.  Yet clearly Lou said they ran his prints through CODIS and didn’t get a hit (I watched that ep again at 8).

The makeup people did a much better job reverse aging Scott this ep, than they did in S2s Grace kidnapping one.  And shouldn’t Danny be partnered with Petersen?  Petersen didn’t get jailed until 2001.

Edited by roamyn
13 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

What is Steve. I know he is Commander Mcgarrett but wouldn't he have lost that title when he left the Navy. He isn't a Commander in the HPD so what is his cop rank or is he not a cop? I just want to see Steve ride around in a uniform and be a beat cop for a day. If the kids have to do it he sure as hell should to.

He is not HPD but he is the commander of the 5-0 Task Force and was commissioned by Hawaii's three governors to run it as he sees fit. Thus when the rank structure was made for that independent agency. 5-0 task Force he was accepted as Commander, the rank of the unit leader. and Chin Ho was an Inspector until he was reinstated with HPD as a Lieutenant. The commanders 5-0 rank could have been Special Agent in Charge, Captain, General, Colonel, etc but Gov Jameson left it up to McGarrett so Commander it is

When Captain Grover retired from HPD he held on to the Captain title even though on the task force Detective Williams outranked both him and his parent agency HPD superior, Lieutenant Kelly. Over the years the task force has also had a Homeland Security Special Agent, an ex Naval Intelligence Officer, and two Police Officers who did not technically finish the HPD academy course work, although Kono went through a private graduation ceremony

21 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

According to Wikia: The series covers the actions of a small, specialized DPS task force in Hawaii, headed by Lt. Commander Steve McGarrett, USNR. The task force answers only to the Governor of the state of Hawaii and is given full immunity and means. The task force has no restrictions and is always backed by the Governor. As a result of joining the Hawaii Five-0 Task Force, Steve also joins the Reserves which means that while he can aid and participate in active investigations that the team usually handle, there's also the chance that Steve can be recalled to active duty or given orders to go on a new albeit classified mission for the Navy.

Count me in on the Tani/Junior love.  Their scenes made me giggle.

Another Frank Bama sighting!  I do love his cameos.

I also like it when Claire van der Boom guest stars, she really sells the character of Rachel on so many levels.  Standoffish, snobbish, playful, angry, conciliatory, soft, etc.  She has turned Rachel into a sympathetic character, when she started out as the devil ex-wife.  I still remember when we met her for the first time when Danny and Steve had to set up surveillance in Rachel and Stan's bedroom.  Claire's scornful tone of voice when she said "Daniel" with the narrowed eyes was spot on perfect.  Then when she realized that was Danny she was seeing on the infrared camera searching the other house, the quaver of fear that crept in told us all she still had feelings.  Subtle, and well done.  I like to see her in my screen. 

I'm still pissed they killed off Malia.  Reiko Aylesworth was always welcome on my screen.  I liked her chemistry with DDK, and with the rest of the team.  She lives on in fanfic though!

• Love 1

And honestly, are we supposed to believe that dumb trash heap of a wifebeater managed to not only find out that Danny was in quarantine, but also breach the quarantine room, lock everyone else out, and somehow conceal his own identity even after his death? Nah.

And, don't forget, rig up a sophisticated explosive device that the HPD bomb squad couldn't figure out, other that it was sensitive to vibrations. Hence the Captain Lou sledgehammer to the wall trick to make a hole.

The writers REALLY flubbed this story line, all the inconsistencies have been pointed out already. Just for sake of argument, though, could Danny and the battered wife have had the physical relationship after the guy was arrested, and Danny did use the "I have been sleeping with your wife" line to coerce the hothead into the assault? I am not sure if the flashback to that moment was necessarily put into a proper timeline? Even so, poor judgment, just for starters. Also, was Tani wearing false eyelashes when she was being a beat cop for the day? Kind of wonder what happens if she is trying to arrest someone and one or both come loose at the same time? Hardly seems safe.

I don't know much about DNA, but, as Steve explains it to Adam, can they actually get an age range from DNA? If so, Christine Ko (Jessie) is 25 years old, don't think she would pass for 35-40? At least that story line got a bit more interesting instead of the usual "Perils of Adam" from week to week.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, GustheCat said:

The writers REALLY flubbed this story line, all the inconsistencies have been pointed out already. Just for sake of argument, though, could Danny and the battered wife have had the physical relationship after the guy was arrested, and Danny did use the "I have been sleeping with your wife" line to coerce the hothead into the assault? I am not sure if the flashback to that moment was necessarily put into a proper timeline? Even so, poor judgment, just for starters.

Everybody is really upset about the Danny story.  I definitely understand why it was poor judgement.  However, would today's 42 year old Danny with a teenage daughter do the same thing today as he would have back then.   He was a rookie and it was 20 years ago so I'm assuming he's in his early 20's at the time and still somewhat young and stupid.  I lived in Newark around 10 years ago when they first started gentrification.  I heard the city was way worse so I can only imagine what it was 20 years ago.  When they asked the victim if she was okay and if she wanted to press charges her no should have been the end.  The only thing that they could have done was give a business card with work contact number.  If this were Newark 20 years ago rookie or not he wouldn't have had the time to help her anyway, because there was too many other issues in that city back then.  Basically the help storyline if told correctly would have ended with her turning them away.  They would have probably answered several more of her domestic disturbance calls until she either decided to press charges or they answered a homicide call after her husband finally beat her to death.  Bottom line as some have said the writer's of the story were not women and honestly even if they were the EP and big boss is male.  This show is not written in any way, shape, or form with female thoughts taken into consideration other than to have a "hot sexy male lead".

Other than that Alex did a good job juggling 3 story's, one of which he was included in.  Adam's story should come to an end soon since IAD left around filming episode 20 to go film that other CBS show he is on.  It was an okay storyline, but I think they could have found a better way to weave Adam back into the show other than giving him his own task force.  Tani and Junior's story was cute enough and we got a little more insight into their characters.  Overall it was a pretty decent episode.

On 3/31/2018 at 2:23 AM, Roselle said:

I was disappointed with the idea that Danny had made a move on the abused wife - I was really hoping that it would be specifically revealled there had been no relationship other than that of a concerned cop going over and above (whereas the notion of loverDanno took the 'over and above part' too far. Ha!) and that he had only heroically told the asshole husband that it was him to goad him into beating him up in front of witnesses and thereby get him sent away.

It's unprofessional and cliched writing. Though they did make Danny look younger. Not to mention that Danny goading the guy is kind of abusive. I guess he was always ready for Five 0!

Steve closelining Jesse was one of the best sight gags in the show. 

On 3/31/2018 at 3:39 AM, SweetTooth said:

It must be Friday, because there's Adam on my TV getting bested by yet another bad guy.

Are they deliberately making him incompetent. I mean, it makes sense because he has zero law enforcement training, but it's hilarious.

On 3/31/2018 at 3:39 AM, SweetTooth said:

I can't imagine this wouldn't be ethically wrong. I mean, this woman was abused. She was in an emotional place. She could have put romantic feelings onto Danny due to him rescuing her. He needed to wait until she'd sorted out her feelings before they entered into any kind of sexual relationship.

Ethically? It's got to violate police procedures. And the guy was clearly mentally ill. 

On 3/31/2018 at 9:54 AM, notcreative enough said:

Making that kid paint the whole wall was great. 

And excessive because he painted over his tag. So they're a perfect fit for Five 0.

On 3/31/2018 at 4:09 PM, preeya said:

He'll find out after they do the horizontal hula.

Please let this happen.

22 hours ago, GustheCat said:

If so, Christine Ko (Jessie) is 25 years old, don't think she would pass for 35-40? At least that story line got a bit more interesting instead of the usual "Perils of Adam" from week to week.

Wasn't she in jail for 6 years though? I would think the character is older. 

I don't like the idea in the flashbacks that Danny was basically hitting on every woman in his orbit. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Wasn't she in jail for 6 years though? I would think the character is older. 

Wikia-lore states that Jessie was born 1991. As mentioned above she's too young to be Adam's sister. Since I can't believe the sister is going to be a so far unknown character my money's on Michelle Shioma (yeah, she was shanked - but we never saw the body).

Danny is more mature despite being a whiner. But he was young and a new cop on the beat or something

FBI agent is slimy but really think that Adam can't catch break

Alex did an OK job as director juggling three stories. But still hope he can improve

Tani and Junior are too good to be beat cops but really in a sense needed to walk a beat

But then again Steve never walked a beat.

6 hours ago, Passepartout said:

But he was young and a new cop on the beat or something

Was he at that point? Is that an excuse? He started the show being a 'cop.' Clearly, when they first got to the house, Danny knew something was wrong with the domestic situation so I'd say he's experienced enough at that point. 

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

Was he at that point? Is that an excuse? He started the show being a 'cop.' Clearly, when they first got to the house, Danny knew something was wrong with the domestic situation so I'd say he's experienced enough at that point. 

I don't know Detective Williams full bio, but this was first contact set in 1999 if memory serves and two years later he was a detective whose partner was killed just  as Al Qaeda's 9/11 attacks happened.

On 3/31/2018 at 2:39 AM, SweetTooth said:

I can't imagine this wouldn't be ethically wrong. I mean, this woman was abused. She was in an emotional place. She could have put romantic feelings onto Danny due to him rescuing her. He needed to wait until she'd sorted out her feelings before they entered into any kind of sexual relationship.

I don't care how young or inexperienced Danny was, or if he had sex with her before or after her abuser was put away.  His training should have included that you don't tke advantage of the vulnerable (or any of the victims you meet).  Because it's a jerk move.

• Love 5