Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Freakin' Enamored

The casting of the parents was perfection. Erin Hayes was great as Colin's mom.

I have to say, I feel like this show was made for me. As unrealistic as the premise is, I find this show highly amusing and find myself laughing out loud at least a couple of times per episode. That is beyond unusual when it comes to broadcast sitcoms.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, BooBear said:

Still funny. I was glad they addressed the parents getting involved.

I still dont buy that the parents would be fine with their kids not learning even if there were getting As but I guess realism is not what the shows about.

I just might be too old for this show.

This was the second episode I have watched and it will be my last.

I just don't get the "humor".  And I really hate the teacher character.

I might have found it amusing if the mom and the kid were playing the teacher for a fool and simply using him.

There is a lot of talent here, so I guess I recognize that I am out of the loop.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, BooBear said:

Still funny. I was glad they addressed the parents getting involved.

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I still dont buy that the parents would be fine with their kids not learning even if there were getting As but I guess realism is not what the shows about.

Jack said the magic words: "I know how to get into Harvard" and "Your kids are all getting A's." I liked how the Indian mother complained that her daughter was a stick in the mud, and she'd rather be doing something else.

6 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Jack is such a pig I can't warm to his character at all. IRL he would be out on his ass, Harvard creds or no. Ugh.

He is an awful person, and I don't like him, but there's something I'm finding funny about the whole set-up. They're giving the kids some good one-liners too. The nerdy girl is funny and so is the heavyset black kid who sits in the front. 

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Jack said the magic words: "I know how to get into Harvard" and "Your kids are all getting A's." 

But thats what I dont buy, this an A.P. Bio class which means most of them are planning on taking the AP Bio test which is a standardized test at the end of the year and they won't pass it which will look odd.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

But thats what I dont buy, this an A.P. Bio class which means most of them are planning on take the AP Bio test which is a standardized test at the end of the year and they won't pass it which will look odd.

Maybe it's because my son was in A.P. Bio in high school, but this is one of the things I just can't past in the show. These classes can count as college credit. I guess this is one of those sitcoms where the premise is just not going to work for me. 

• Love 2

I really like this show. Glenn Howerton is hilarious and such a good actor. I see a little bit of Dennis Reynolds in Jack, which is always hilarious. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Jack said the magic words: "I know how to get into Harvard" and "Your kids are all getting A's." I liked how the Indian mother complained that her daughter was a stick in the mud, and she'd rather be doing something else.

Loved that she was the opposite of a stereotypical Indian mother.

Loved that all the kid's parents looked like them. Especially the nerdy girl with the glasses and Her mother could have been her older twin and her dad had the glasses too.

• Love 3

I laugh at this show more than anything currently on (good place is over for the season). I love it’s humor and the one-liners. Really hoping it gets a second season and I figure it will since Lorne Michaels and Seth Meyers are behind it.

• Love 3

I'm curious how they'll handle the students in a future season. They could bring in an all new class, but I think a few of them have stolen the show already. They're definitely more fun and interesting to me than the other teachers. It's possible that they all have to retake the class, but that would only (reasonably) work for 1 year.

As for the A.P. test at the end of the year, my assumption is that becomes a plot point during an episode sometime this season. Even if not, we've seen the students actually care enough about school that they are most likely studying outside of the class. 

Call me crazy, but I really thought Jack hit it off with Sarika's mom. I hope we see more of her in future episodes.

The are several separate issues with AP classes. Getting an A in an AP class gives you a 5 point A which boosts your GPA. Most college now look at the total number of AP classes you've taken. Those two things can help you get into college.

Taking the AP exam can get you out of some GE requirements once you're actually in college or let you skip an intro level class, but if you know that your major or the college you'll be attending doesn't require that class then you don't really need to take the AP exam. Taking the AP exam is optional so you can skip it and it doesn't affect your GPA. I knew several people who skipped an AP exam for one reason or another. There are some people who recommend not applying your AP credits to your college core curriculum because taking bio or chemistry again in college will help boost your GPA which will help when you apply to med school or grad school.

Sirika's mom was fun. The brief parent teacher conferences were probably nothing that they didn't already know, but still fun to watch.

• Love 1
On 3/20/2018 at 8:28 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The are several separate issues with AP classes. Getting an A in an AP class gives you a 5 point A which boosts your GPA. Most college now look at the total number of AP classes you've taken. Those two things can help you get into college.

The 5 point A thing depends on the school. My high school didn't switch over to weighting APs until I was in my junior year, I believe. Also, some colleges ignore AP GPA inflation when it comes to admittance and continue to look at it on a 4 point scale, though they will still note what classess you've taken, of course.

The boost of your science GPA when going into med school or such is a good point. I'd also add that some might choose not to take an AP exam because having those credits can end up costing more. This is because it can bump up where you're considered to be in your undergrad experience, and courses can cost more for those further along.

The lead character reminds me of House if he wasn't good at his job and decided to slum it as a school nurse in Toledo.

Hopefully, at some point he actually finds a way to teach them something, because although I get how he's exposing them to real world subjects that nerds might not discuss... no matter how bright they are they still need to cover the material.  House worked as a character because he actually helped people at the end of the day.

Erin Hayes was great as Colin's mom.

I am losing my mind because I said to my husband, "I know I've seen this actress before, but I cannot place her!"  He looked her up and realized that she played the wife on Kevin Can Wait during the 1st season.  What a relief, and thank goodness for IMDB.

Loved how Colin took the 40 bucks.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Loved how Colin took the 40 bucks.

Colin bribing Jack was hilarious. His voice dropped two registers and the clear implication was that it was bribe money to leave. A lesser show would have stopped there but this show is so quirky and clever (at times) that Colin announced that Jack gave him $40 to his mother and then remained at the table.

• Love 4

Somewhere, Erinn Hayes is laughing today when she found out that this show (in which she could recur) was renewed, while the much higher-rated "Kevin Can Wait" was cancelled. Enough to make one believe in karma!

• Love 2