Type keyword(s) to search

S.14.E04: The Blind Auditions Part 4

• Start Topic

Teams so far (#chair's turned iirc); asterisks mean they got the dreaded montage treatment.

Adam (7)

Rayshun LaMarr (2)

Drew Cole (2)

Davison (2)

Angel Bonilla (*2)

Mia Boostrom (1)

Reid Umstattd (2)

Alicia (9)

Britton Buchanan (3) **Blake used his block on Adam

Kelsea Johnson (3)

Jaclyn Lovey (2)

Christiana Danielle (3)

Jamai (2)

Johnny Bliss (4) **Adam used his block on Kelly

Terrence Cunningham (4)

Megan Lee (*1)

Jordyn Simone (*1)

Blake (9)

Kyla Jade (2)

Kaleb Lee (2)

Pryor Baird (4)

Brett Hunter (1)

Austin Giorgio (2)

Spensha Baker (2)

Wilkes (2)

Jaron Strom (1)

JessLee (*2)

Kelly (9)

Brynn Cartelli (2)

D.R. King (2)

Justin Kilgore (4) *Alicia used her block on Blake

Molly Stevens (2)

Dylan Hartigan (1)

Jackie Foster (2)

Jorge Eduardo (1) (but a 4 chair turn on The Voice Mexico)

Jamella (*2)

Alexa Capelli (2)

• Love 1

I'm liking the variety of song choices this season, but not many of the performances. After Blake chose the woman who sang Blackbird and the guy who did This Magic Moment, I was asking myself if he's trying to build a weak team. But he has a couple of strong ones, and maybe that's his strategy--get some variety for entertainment value, while knowing only a couple of them are actually strong enough to be competitive.

(I was especially disappointed in Blackbird. After all her backstory, I expected something special, but she didn't have the range I expected and did that "warbling all up and down and around the note" thing that is so annoying.  Is she going to be like the black singer last season who had decided (close to auditioning) that she wanted to be a country singer? I liked her, especially in the beginning, but she never really signaled that she knew or cared much about country music. I think this one may turn out the same, but not as good a singer. "Blackbird" doesn't really say "country music" to me for your audition and she didn't do it very well. (I would have been shocked if Adam had turned.)

• Love 5
(edited)

The thing that gets me is when they really like someone, like the Terrence guy tonight, they don’t just compliment them, or welcome them to the team, they declare they’ve found this years winner, or that they are the best they’ve ever had on their team, or the like. And all I can think is how that must sound to the other contestants? Like okay, Alicia, Terrence is the best ever and this year’s winner, so why should any of the others on your team trust you?

Edited by Pop Tart
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, Tanichka said:

I love “My Girl” & Terrence truly ruined that song.  

I agree.  I couldn't take that rendition.  Maybe he has a great voice...I don't know as I had to FF through it.  Still loving Kelly...she was OTT choosing Jorge, but it seemed pretty genuine and not attention seeking to me.  lol  Not to impressed with the singers so far.

• Love 4

I thought Terrence was well worth all the hype.  I really loved what he did with My Girl.  That was sublime.  Easily the best performance of the season so far. 

Fitting, since I also thought this was the best episode so far.  Alexa, Spensha, and Wilkes (in that order) were also better than most of the people who got through in previous episodes.  The talent this season has been truly mediocre, but at least there are a few contestants I'm interested in seeing again. 

Within all that mediocrity, Team Alicia is truly stacked.  I hope most of the steals come from her team.

One thing that hasn't changed is that most of the montaged contestants are female.  So far this season, all 5 of them have been women even though we've had to suffer through several less than stellar auditions from guys.

• Love 5

I've watched since S1 and I think this is the first season where I would not have turned my chair (or, in my case, looked up from my phone) for a single one of the folks auditioning thus far this season. It's very mediocre for most and downright eardrum piercing for some.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I've watched since S1 and I think this is the first season where I would not have turned my chair (or, in my case, looked up from my phone) for a single one of the folks auditioning thus far this season. It's very mediocre for most and downright eardrum piercing for some.

Granted, I haven't watched all of them, but, the only one that I really liked so far, is Britton Buchannon on Alisha's team.  I'm anxious to hear more from him.  I suspect that he has much more to offer. A friend of mine watched last night and was VERY disappointed. 

• Love 1

As someone who cannot stand the song This Magic Moment, I just winced throughout that performance. It didn’t help that the guy’s voice was average, at best. 

Terrence’s audition might be one of my faves of the entire series. That gave me chills. I am really looking forward to hearing what he does next.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, viajero said:

I thought Terrence was well worth all the hype.  I really loved what he did with My Girl. 

Yikes!  "My Girl" should NEVER be sung that way.  Maybe if he sings it straight without all of the crazy embellishment .........

• Love 4

Underwhelmed, so far.

”Divinity entered the room”??????  Seriously??  Nice voice, yes, but too much melisma and not that out of the ordinary.  

Hopefully they’re saving the best for next week.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Yikes!  "My Girl" should NEVER be sung that way.  Maybe if he sings it straight without all of the crazy embellishment .........

I didn't like it either, but I do like that he tried to do a different kind of performance and that its something people will love or hate.  (I didn't dislike it enough to leave the room, so I'd rather see someone at least try something different. even if it fails.)  I' m hopeful there will be more variety this year than usual, as it seems so far.

• Love 3

Melisma!   The use of melisma is a common feature of artists such as Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, Whitney Houston, Deniece Williams, Luther Vandross, , Mariah Carey, Beyoncé, and Christina Aguilera, among others.  I'll take melisma!

• Love 1

Kelly is a fun addition; always energetic and funny.  With Blake and her on one end though, it almost makes Adam seem like an afterthought.  There's too much energy at the other end of the chairs.  I think he could get what he wanted easier before Kelly.

I hope the contestants get better. They just don't seem to be standing out compared to prior years.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, limecoke said:

Underwhelmed, so far.

”Divinity entered the room”??????  Seriously??  Nice voice, yes, but too much melisma and not that out of the ordinary.  

Hopefully they’re saving the best for next week.

Agree on all points.  Here in the fourteenth season of the show it's the first time ever there hasn't been a single contestant so far that I was looking forward to hearing again in the Knockout Rounds.  There are only 2 more blind audition rounds left, right?  To be honest, this is a little frightening.

• Love 6
(edited)

I am hoping that they've saved a few more highlight auditions for the final week of blinds, but even if we don't see that I think there's at least a couple (well maybe one and a half for a couple of teams) people on each team so far that I'm interest in hearing more from. From Adam it would be Davison and Reid, from Alicia it would be Kelsea and Britton (I'm also really hopeful to hear more from Megan Lee...I'm hoping against hope she doesn't get the Katherine Ho treatment this season), from Blake it's Wilkes, and kinda sorta Pryor & Brett. And from Team Kelly, it would be Molly Stevens and maybe even Brynn despite her age.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

"Melisma" done well: "is the singing of a single syllable of text while moving between several different notes in succession. Music sung in this style is referred to as melismatic, as opposed to syllabic, in which each syllable of text is matched to a single note."

"Melisma" done badly is used as an excuse for vocally looking for, but not cleanly finding, the note you really wanted from the beginning.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 5

I dropped by here to see if there were any comments on Rayshun.  I just checked out his performance.  Not too bad.  I hope he can bring some other types of music.  Rayshun is ANOTHER CONTESTANT from my area. (NC)  He's from Chapel Hill.  Man, THREE (including Britton and Molly) are from near the Triangle.  It's unbelievable. All on separate teams too.  So, I guess, Ill hang around for another season. lol  I can barely believe it.  

From what I'm reading here, there weren't that many standout performances lately.  Should I check it out online or just wait for the next rounds this week?

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Rayshun LaMarr (2)
Drew Cole (2)
Davison (2)
Mia Boostrom (1)
Reid Umstattd (2)
Angel Bonilla (1)*

Team Alicia
Britton Buchanan (3)**
Kelsea Johnson (3)
Jaclyn Lovey (2)
Christiana Danielle (3)
Jamai (2)
Johnny Bliss (4)**
Jordyn Simone (1)*
Megan Lee (3)*
Terrence Cunningham (4)

Team Kelly
Brynn Cartelli (2)
D.R. King (2)
Justin Kilgore (4)**
Molly Stevens (2)
Dylan Hartigan (1)
Jackie Foster (2)
Jorge Eduardo (1)
Jamella (3)*
Alexa Capelli (2)

Team Blake
Kyla Jade (2)
Kaleb Lee (2)
Pryor Baird (4)
Brett Hunter (1)
Austin Giorgio (2)
Spensha Baker (2)
(Jason) Wilkes (2)
JessLee (2)*
Jaron Strom (1)

The number in parentheses details the number of chairs that turned.  One asterisk means that this artist's Blind was montaged.  Two asterisks mean that the Blind had a Block used during it.