Type keyword(s) to search

Scandals of the Olympic Games

41 minutes ago, Souris said:

Apparently the Russians hacked the opening ceremonies and tried to make it look like North Korea did it. Eyes are on the closing ceremony. WashPost.

Honestly, doesn't Russia have ANYTHING better to do than hack other countries' computer systems in order to cause trouble?

• Love 14

I still think Semen Elistrianov (snicker) should get his medal taken away for whining that Viktor Ahn and others were "unfairly" banned.  That was clearly against the agreement all of the supposedly clean Not Russians signed in order to be able to participate in the Games.  

Take away his medal and give it to fourth place Samuel Girard.  That would give Canada her 30th medal!

• Love 5
9 hours ago, blackwing said:

I still think Semen Elistrianov (snicker) should get his medal taken away for whining that Viktor Ahn and others were "unfairly" banned.  That was clearly against the agreement all of the supposedly clean Not Russians signed in order to be able to participate in the Games.  

Take away his medal and give it to fourth place Samuel Girard.  That would give Canada her 30th medal!

I only looked up the story of Viktor Ahn’s ban when I heard it mentioned a few days into the games, and the only information that I could readily find were a bunch of articles about how he was part of a last-minute appeal that was rejected and that the IOC had said clean drug tests alone were not enough for them to authorize competitors.  With a couple of hundred athletes competing, including speed skaters, Russia certainly had a large delegation, and the couple of failed tests so far show that these are not the impeccably clean athletes the IOC implied that they were supporting.  It made me wonder if Viktor Ahn was excluded more out of the IOC’s deference to South Korea than upholding anti-doping principals, but I didn’t see any news articles referencing that.  Is there word on that?

2 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Russian Hockey Players Sing National Anthem over Olympic Anthem

Um, didn't the IOC say this was not allowed and medals would be taken away if they did something like this?????

25 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

That's what is supposed to happen but I'm sure the bank accounts of those who are in charge of the actual medal stripping just got a healthy increase. 

That and it wouldn't shock me if Putin promised the players a nice bonus as well.  The medals for the cross country marathons were handed out during the closing ceremony.  Imagined if a Not!Russian won gold during that.  Awkward would be putting it mildly.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Scandals/memorable moments - you decide.  Meanwhile, I am SOOOO enjoying the retrospective NBCSN is airing - especially since I remember the 1960s (shhhh - don't tell anyone I AM that old!).  ;-)

I was born in 1961, so I remember the mid-late 1960s, but only from a child's perspective, which means that I wasn't really paying that much attention. Not that that would make you feel any better.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

I was born in 1961, so I remember the mid-late 1960s, but only from a child's perspective, which means that I wasn't really paying that much attention. Not that that would make you feel any better.

Don't feel any better, don't feel any older. 

(Now, if only I could manage to not feel my age!)   ;-D

Just watching these Olympians makes me ache all over!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2