Type keyword(s) to search

Scandals of the Olympic Games

10 minutes ago, wendyg said:

bitterapples: One look at tennis parents will tell you there are bound to be some crazy enough to dope their kids if they think it will gain them a pro career.

Wait - were't the Menendez' "tennis parents"?!?   ;-)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Mathieu Favre, Mikaela Shiffrin's boyfriend, send home by French team after post race comments

https://sports.yahoo.com/mikaela-shiffrins-boyfriend-booted-olympics-angry-post-race-comments-090335446.html

Wow, obviously not the smartest thing to say, but I'm surprised they sent him home over it. Among the questionable remarks made by athletes over the years, that was pretty tame.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, obviously not the smartest thing to say, but I'm surprised they sent him home over it. Among the questionable remarks made by athletes over the years, that was pretty tame.

With a team event still coming up maybe the rest didn't want him there because of what he said, maybe the French have strict rules about when kicking people off the team they have to leave the Village idk. 

7 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

With a team event still coming up maybe the rest didn't want him there because of what he said, maybe the French have strict rules about when kicking people off the team they have to leave the Village idk. 

I didn't realize there was an upcoming team event. I guess that makes sense they wouldn't want a guy hanging around who said he's only there for himself, lol.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I'm a bit surprised they sent him home too, but couldn't they have just elected not to use him?  I don't know what the format is (2 men and 2 women or what?) but surely they had others they could have used.  And it would have sent a message... you don't want to be part of the team, we are not going to use you on it.

Yes, his remarks were incredibly selfish.  But it's clear he is more concerned with his own score than his teammates doing well.  

I kind of wish the USOC had reprimanded Shani Davis after his selfish and inflammatory remarks.  I see that Davis still didn't skate in pursuit, not sure if it's because he didn't want to or because he's no longer good enough to be one of the top 3.

• Love 1

How come there is no further news about the doping Not Russian curler?  I would think this confirms how much of a joke the "ban" was.  The IOC made all of the Not Russians sign an additional pledge to uphold the anti doping principles and this guy dopes.  I think it is laughable that he is claiming someone spiked his drink.  

And did nothing really become of Semen Eliastratov, the Not Russian short tracker who dedicated his bronze medal on day 3 or so to all the Russians who were unfairly banned?  Why no discipline?  Why is this man still being allowed to compete?

• Love 11

B sample of the Russian curler was positive as well and a Slovenian ice hockeyer also tested positive on an asthma medication that he claimed he forgot to get permission for. He left the games. The Norwegian curling team that's moving to bronze is too happy because they feel they got robbed of their moment of glory. 

• Love 1

The Russian athlete who doped-  good for him for showing what a mockery the IOC is.  "Russia is banned!" "Okay, not all Russian athletes are banned."  "They have to prove they are clean to compete."  "Oh, we have to prove they're not clean to keep them from competing."  "There's no Russian team, but look at the team competitions with 'Olympic athletes from Russia!'"  

Come down hard, or don't come down hard.

2 minutes ago, deaja said:

The Russian athlete who doped-  good for him for showing what a mockery the IOC is.  "Russia is banned!" "Okay, not all Russian athletes are banned."  "They have to prove they are clean to compete."  "Oh, we have to prove they're not clean to keep them from competing."  "There's no Russian team, but look at the team competitions with 'Olympic athletes from Russia!'"  

Come down hard, or don't come down hard.

Fuckers need to realize the consequences of being BANNED.  See PTV for how to do it "the right way".  ;-)

[small voice] Can David T. Cole replace the IOC?  (asking for a friend)  ;-)

• Love 8

I don't think it's bullying necessarily but I don't know the culture there.  Maybe by abandoning her, they set her up to experience the brunt of the blame for their placement and were hoping she'd experience public shame.

What they didn't anticipate was the public taking her side.

• Love 5

Regarding the curling doping, there was someone on the CBC who explained why. With pairs curling, there are only two on the team, so there isn't a lot of break between throwing and sweeping. Since there are only two of you, you both sweep. In regular curling there can be up to four people sweeping. It is pretty intense movement for a short period of time, then a short rest, then again.

Sure, when you're talking Wednesday league night with friends and beers, perhaps not a big thing. But when you're talking the best in the world, every little edge helps, I guess.

• Love 4
On 2/18/2018 at 6:37 PM, Irlandesa said:

And yet I don't hear as much about judging issues in snowboarding or the judged skiing events.  Do they have these issues as well or is there something they manage to do to avoid them?

The thing about figure skating is that it's a bubbling cauldron of drama and back-stabbing and intrigue. I mean, figure skaters have been judged higher because of Look and Image rather than actual skating, too. There's a real archaic mess of nonsense behind a lot of figure skating crap. And then let's get into the whole fact that the point system seems to change every 20 years or so. When you watch people skate and you see this person land on their ass on more than one jump when trying to do quads and someone else skates clean with a program full of triples and somehow the person who tried and failed gets higher scores than the person who did a very difficult routine and didn't fuck up... seriously... it's no wonder people kind of throw up their hands regarding the 'sport.' 

• Love 2

Another Not Russian has tested positive for doping.  A female bobsledder who tested positive for a medication that is for angina but is banned because it affects metabolism.  She denies it of course, as does the Russian bobsled federation president who is the guy who won two gold medals at Sochi and was stripped after getting caught doping.   Yeah, like we are going to believe him that this was an accident and that she has no idea how it happened since she didn't take any medication.

Not Russia should definitely not be reinstated for the Closing Ceremony.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

The IOC looks so dumb now, after claiming that these were the clean ones there were still two(that we know of) positive tests from not! Russians. Ban them for Tokyo and ban them all not this wishy-washy bullshit from Rio and here. 

And take away the medals they "earned" this year.

• Love 6

Even when they're "cleaner" they're still dirty.  Dick Pound is probably angry but so long he stays on with the IOC in the hopes something will change, nothing will

The federations need to toughen up and ban Russians.  Maybe that will get the IOC to follow suit in time for Tokyo. 

• Love 5

It's not like Schott is personally responsible for the Holocaust, but I'm kind of surprised nobody on her team thought about the implications of a German skating to Schindler's List. I don't think it was the wisest choice of music. 

• Love 3

Oh I saw that coming a mile away,

I thought the music choice was... interesting. Like people said, she isn't personally responsible, and there were German Jews that were equally persecuted by the regime, but this is one of those subjects where pure logic doesn't apply. Maybe not her, but "adults" around her should have known better. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

It's not like Schott is personally responsible for the Holocaust, but I'm kind of surprised nobody on her team thought about the implications of a German skating to Schindler's List. I don't think it was the wisest choice of music. 

I agree, and since she's essentially representing Germany in that event, I don't think it matters whether she has some personal family history that would make a German skating to music from a movie about the Holocaust less offensive.

21 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

Maybe not her, but "adults" around her should have known better. 

Agreed. 

Speaking of figure skating, though, someone in the Figure Skating joked that the big scandal was that the skating judges actually did their job this time and awarded the right medals to the right people, and I tend to agree. (Zagitova winning the gold over Medvedeva is likely to be the new Kwan/Lipinski, though.)

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I agree, and since she's essentially representing Germany in that event, I don't think it matters whether she has some personal family history that would make a German skating to music from a movie about the Holocaust less offensive.

Agreed. 

Speaking of figure skating, though, someone in the Figure Skating joked that the big scandal was that the skating judges actually did their job this time and awarded the right medals to the right people, and I tend to agree. (Zagitova winning the gold over Medvedeva is likely to be the new Kwan/Lipinski, though.)

That was me (shameless boasting). 

BB355EDB-8DCC-4954-BBBD-B1A7462100AC.gif

• Love 3
1 minute ago, galaxygirl76 said:

The petty bastards are apparently holding 'alternative Olympics' for the Russian athletes that were not welcome in South Korea. I bet the winner gets a platinum medal and a hug from Putin. 

Aren't the Russian National Championships essentially 'alternative Olympics' limited to Russian athletes?

• Love 1

LOOOL a google search (in Russian) of "alternative Olympics"...

4th result is dated Dec 21 where minister of sport says there will be NO alternative Olympics.

2nd result is dated yesterday saying that Alternative Olympics begins day after tomorrow (well, now it's tomorrow) in Sochi.

Never change Russia

• Love 4
4 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

LOOOL a google search (in Russian) of "alternative Olympics"...

4th result is dated Dec 21 where minister of sport says there will be NO alternative Olympics.

2nd result is dated yesterday saying that Alternative Olympics begins day after tomorrow (well, now it's tomorrow) in Sochi.

Never change Russia

Well at least those Sochi venues they wasted all that money on will be used.  Unless I'm wrong and the pictures of it being an abandoned area were debunked. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1

I mentioned this in the hockey forum - I swear that when the Russian ban was announced it included only single athletes being able to participate, not teams.   I know the ban was a rather fluid concept from the get-go, but were teams at one point excluded?

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I mentioned this in the hockey forum - I swear that when the Russian ban was announced it included only single athletes being able to participate, not teams.   I know the ban was a rather fluid concept from the get-go, but were teams at one point excluded?

It’s ridiculous they were even allowed a hockey team at all considering the huge scandal they had with their U18 national team. The entire team was dropped and the coach was fired for several positive tests. I believe it was the Sherapova(sp?) drug.  The U17 players took their place for the tournament which I think was worlds. Of course I was skeptical that the U17 team would be clean. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 2

Makes ya proud! 

"PYEONGCHANG, Korea, Republic Of — Canadian skier Dave Duncan is being investigated after three Canadians allegedly stole a car while drunk and drove it to the athletes village at the Pyeongchang Olympics, the CBC is reporting.

Duncan's wife and his manager were also allegedly involved in the incident.

Canadian Olympic Committee CEO Chris Overholt was asked about the investigation on Saturday afternoon at the news conference announcing speedskater Kim Boutin as the country's flag bearer for the closing ceremony. Overholt confirmed that there was an investigation underway but he wouldn't disclose any details."

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Makes ya proud! 

"PYEONGCHANG, Korea, Republic Of — Canadian skier Dave Duncan is being investigated after three Canadians allegedly stole a car while drunk and drove it to the athletes village at the Pyeongchang Olympics, the CBC is reporting.

Duncan's wife and his manager were also allegedly involved in the incident.

Canadian Olympic Committee CEO Chris Overholt was asked about the investigation on Saturday afternoon at the news conference announcing speedskater Kim Boutin as the country's flag bearer for the closing ceremony. Overholt confirmed that there was an investigation underway but he wouldn't disclose any details."

Apparently the evening that lead to this stellar representation of Team Canada was captured on one of the offender's Instagram story

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, mledawn said:

Apparently the evening that lead to this stellar representation of Team Canada was captured on one of the offender's Instagram story

Are we sure they’re Canadians?  Perhaps someone stole the outfits just to make them look bad.   Lol

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And Ryan Lochte can now let go of the idiot ball that he held for so long in Rio!

Lochte is too big of an idiot to know he should let go of the idiot ball.

"No, seriously, Ryan, giving it up is a good thing!"

"But it's miiiiiiinnnnneeeee..."

• Love 12
1 minute ago, dankesean said:

Lochte is too big of an idiot to know he should let go of the idiot ball.

"No, seriously, Ryan, giving it up is a good thing!"

"But it's miiiiiiinnnnneeeee..."

Actually, Ryan's grown up quite a bit since he became a father.  It's amazing what parenthood will do for you!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

The petty bastards are apparently holding 'alternative Olympics' for the Russian athletes that were not welcome in South Korea. I bet the winner gets a platinum medal and a hug from Putin. 

Wouldn't that be like the doping equivalent of Miss Plastic Surgery beauty contests?

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And Ryan Lochte can now let go of the idiot ball that he held for so long in Rio!

Honestly, in one day no one is going to be talking about David Duncan.  Especially in the States, he had zero impact on the competition.  To me, the idiot ball was passed to Mirai Nagasu, and she gladly embraced it.  I have no idea if she is trying to get a reality show with Adam Rippon, where they can sit on a roof eating In n Out and crying and snarking.  But whatever it was... it was strange. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Wouldn't that be like the doping equivalent of Miss Plastic Surgery beauty contests?

Wonder what kind of world records will be set at that? Does everyone get bonus or docked points based on how many steroids are in their bloodstream? Yanno, to keep it "fair" for those who doped slightly less than their competitors.

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 1