Type keyword(s) to search

Continuity, Nitpicks, Unanswered Questions and Timeline Headaches: When Did That Honeycrisp Apple Come From

• Start Topic

I don't think they change it so much as have characters refer to themselves as older than they are, like Neal's "a couple centuries" and Hook's "more like 200." I get why Neal might shorthand it that way because he was trying to get the point across that he hadn't always been in our world, but why would Hook, who was trying to downplay his age, make himself older than he is?

Timey Whimey, wibbly wobbly....I bet the continuity and timeline faeries are mad as hell right about now.  

Well, Once does rip off their wings more often than Doctor Who does.

I'd be mad, too.

• Love 1

This is the show that uses 5 years ago when they mean 33 years ago. I think we can say that 'a couple centuries', 'more like 200', and 'less than 200 years as a Dark One' can all be construed as Hook being 150 years-ish old. I can't remember IN SHOW references to more than a couple centuries other than hyperbole like Emma calling Hook 400 years old. (Honestly, no ones ever going to budge me from this stance, I've been saying it since season 2)

• Love 2

I have been saying the same since Season 2. The first reference to 300 years came from a tweet, and I have never thought the 300 year timeframe worked. In show, it has always been less than or around 200 which is just characters over estimating and without aging in Neverland, it makes sense that Hook and Bae might not know their exact ages. 

I myself have always gone by the Darling Edwardian era London setting as a frame of reference. This totally fits. 

• Love 1

Timey Whimey, wibbly wobbly....I bet the continuity and timeline faeries are mad as hell right about now.  

There's no continuity because the continuity fairies have been murdered. Everytime there's fuckery with the timeline, one of them bites it. This is serious stuff, they don't just lose their wings anymore.

They get snuffed out, like light, or darkness. It's fairy genocide.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2

Okay, does anyone understand how Rumple reDarkOned himself?

And does that mean that what actually deDarkOned Emma and Hook was a TLk?

I don't have an answer for this, but it made me think: Rumpel was DYING from having the Dark One inside him last season, now, there is EXTRA darkness, so much that Hook and Emma were literally shaking trying to hold the sword. How is Rumpel planning on surviving even MORE darkness than what was killing him last season?

It just makes me so mad because it's the entire reason we had 5A in the first place.

Edited by snarkastic
  • Love 3

I guess having a Blank Slate gives him another 200 years to fill up with blackness. 

This is idiotic. We don't know how that potion worked or even where he got it from.

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 4
I don't have an answer for this, but it made me think: Rumpel was DYING from having the Dark One inside him last season, now, there is EXTRA darkness, so much that Hook and Emma were literally shaking trying to hold the sword. How is Rumpel planning on surviving even MORE darkness than what was killing him last season?

It wasn't the Darkness itself that was killing him. It was that his centuries (century?) of dark deeds as the Dark One had blackened his heart to the point it was no longer functional. The danger was that when his heart gave out, he'd still be alive, since he's immortal, but there would be no trace of the allegedly good-hearted (yeah, right) Rumple inside to resist or control the Darkness, so he'd be pure Dark One, with no human influence whatsoever. So now I guess he got a fresh start with his pure heart that he can start once more filling with darkness.

There are so many holes in this story line that it makes my head hurt. For starters, Merlin forged the sword in the first place to separate himself from the Grail's magic -- which was light in him but got corrupted in Nimue, turning her into the Dark One. I seriously doubt that his plan was to stab himself with it. So what would he have done with it, and what would Emma have done with it, if we hadn't had the little side trip with Hook? Hook was dead anyway because of the original wound. Would that death have killed the Darkness, or did something else happen that meant he had to be stabbed with the sword?

We still don't know what potion Merlin was brewing and why. It didn't seem like there was any time for Hook to have done anything other than add the crushed heart, so was Merlin brewing the Dark Curse, or was it some other potion that turned into the Dark Curse when a heart was added?

Going back to Excalibur, what was the deal with that and Camelot's fate? Arthur's crazy came from the fact that he couldn't mend his kingdom with a broken sword. What would have happened when it was restored, and what was he actually planning to do with it? I was never clear on that plan. And what happens to Camelot now that the sword was destroyed and turned back into the dagger? Did the other end we saw crumbling in Emma's hand go back into the stone? I didn't necessarily want to spend more time on the Camelot plot, but a lot was left hanging there. They devoted all that time to setting it all up, and it literally went absolutely nowhere. Likewise with Merida. I'd thought the whole point of that second episode with her was to set up the Afterlife Ale for connecting with Hook, but they all headed to the Underworld without her and without checking in on him with the ale, so what was the point?

• Love 3

They made Liam 2.0 a child of true love (assuming Papa Hook's sketchy story is true), so why did Rumple need to do all that work to help Snowing get together again? Previously, I had believed it was because he didn't believe in the True Love magic until he met Belle, but later flashbacks seem to have disproved that.

• Love 1

They made Liam 2.0 a child of true love (assuming Papa Hook's sketchy story is true), so why did Rumple need to do all that work to help Snowing get together again? Previously, I had believed it was because he didn't believe in the True Love magic until he met Belle, but later flashbacks seem to have disproved that.

You brought up a good point. Why would you do this?? Haha But I don't think Papa Hook's story was the complete truth anyway. I guess they did show the son though so there's some truth to it.

You brought up a good point. Why would you do this?? Haha But I don't think Papa Hook's story was the complete truth anyway. I guess they did show the son though so there's some truth to it.

Are we sure he wasn't just some kid for hire? Lol.

• Love 1

Okay, does anyone understand how Rumple reDarkOned himself?

No, and I don't even think the writers know. They pulled a deus ex machina out of their asses a billion times worse than the magical gauntlet. They didn't even bother naming the kind of potion Rumple used or why it worked. It was literally just, "Oh...yeah. I happened to have this random vial of liquid lying around my shop that can somehow transfer all Dark One magic into one person. Isn't it funny how this has never been brought up before? Screw you Emma, and your little boyfriend, too!" 

Yeah, I call bullshit on this. (Regarding the show's plan to keep Rumple's heart from turning back into coal.) I know that part of the reason his heart turned black last season was because it was from centuries of dark build up, but you'd think that having the power of 20-some Dark Ones inside your body would make your heart black again because all of their magic combined spans centuries.

I'm still pissed off they retconned Hook and Regina's wardrobes from Season 2 for no good reason at all. Or decided that cramming that flashback in was a good idea in the first place. 

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2

Can anyone tell me the point of Merlin talking to Young!Emma? Or Merlin telling Arthur he was destined to be king? Or Merlin conveniently cooking up the Dark Curse? Or leaving a message that they need to find Nimue? What was the point of any of this? As far as I'm concerned, Merlin ruins lives. I'm kind if glad he's dead because he can't fuck up anyone else's lives with his random hats or wands or magic pens.

• Love 3

Hopefully someone with a better sense of the convoluted timeline on this show can help me sort this out: how old is Liam 2 in the show's present time? Is he still roughly the age of the little kid we saw? Or was he caught outside the Cora bubble, so that he aged 28 years and is now roughly the same age as present day Hook? Because I'm sure that Chekhov's Kid is showing up again, and I need to know if he's going to be a boy or a man. If he's man, he might be someone we already know.

Like Robin. 

Heaven forfend.

Hopefully someone with a better sense of the convoluted timeline on this show can help me sort this out: how old is Liam 2 in the show's present time? 

If he was outside the time freeze (which wasn't just the Cora bubble, it was Arendelle and Camelot and most of the fairytale realm except for that place Hook sailed to which was outside of the second curse's purview), then he would be in his mid to late 30s, but no worries, he can't be Robin or anyone else we've seen as an adult pre-curse unless there was some time travel going on. If he was frozen in time with nearly everyone else or in Neverland, he would be 2 or 3 years older than he was in the flashback.

• Love 1

So apparently, now all the Dark Ones have been "destroyed"?  How does that work?  Is destroyed different from dead?  This is so they don't have to do Nimue whispering into Rumple's ear about wanting to do what Dark Ones have always wanted to do - resurrect the Dark Ones from the Underworld and snuff out the Light?  If they wanted to cut out all the ties between Rumple and the previous Dark Ones, why say that he now has the power of every single Dark One before him?  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I want to know what "Snuffing out the Light" meant. Actually, forget it. Who cares?

So, if the Underworld is as bad as Rumple described, is everyone dead supposed to end up there? If so, why bother being "good" or "heroes'? Merida's dad seemed enough at peace. He didn't mention any fire and brimstone torment.  

And none of the filming spoilers we've seen suggest it as a place of unbearable torment.

Maybe it was just Rumple being dramatic?

Actually, why can Emma hear the dagger if she's no longer the DO? Is it just a permanent side of effect now? Is her hearing the dagger the equivalent of Harry's scar??

As for Rumple being the dark one again, I think the random potion was like a transfer spell or something? Maybe? Even if that might not make sense? Like he used the potion so the real sword would just channel all the magic power to the(fake?) dagger of his.

????

• Love 1

He might as well have stood in front of the sword and said "Abracadabra". lol

This is not my original thought, but why on earth didn't Regina use the Tornado to transport everyone away from Storybrooke, or use it to send the DOs somewhere else? Seriously!!

• Love 1
Can someone verify what’s going on with the border curse?  Do people still lose their memories or is it that if they leave, they can’t come back?

We don't know with the latest iteration of the curse. Previously, it was that if they leave, they can't find the town again -- it's cut off from the rest of the world that way. Unless, of course, you have Ingrid's scroll, in which case there are no memory issues. But then with this curse, crossing the town line turned you into a tree. As far as we know, that still hasn't been resolved or fixed (poor Dopey). I guess Rumple's magic powder or potion allows them to sidestep that. But we don't know if you then also need the scroll if you want to get back.

I call foul on that though. The sleeping curse is Maleficent's creation, so how long has she been around? Deadbeat left his kids 100 years before. He didn't make it far, because he was apparently arrested for being a general a**hole, then he falls under a sleeping curse, and while he's under his nurse, who apparently also lived 100 years gave him a TLK, and woke him.

Either the writers messed this one up completely, which see: everything else, or the guy is a liar who lies.

I think he's a liar who lies. 

That's what I don't get.

Rumple said that he basically magic'ed Excalibur to become a conduit for the darkness, Instead of destroying the darkness, Hook only transferred into Rumple? 

We saw the sword turn to dust, so did Rumple go back and collect the dust? And why would he want the dagger back if he has all that Dark Ones power inside of him. Why would he want a tether?

And if the dagger stills exists, does that mean Excalibur is somewhere? And would Hook be able to hear it since his name was on that half?

I would like to know... If the Darkness wasn't destroyed, why were all the previous Dark Ones destroyed?

I really want Adam to Tweet about what Merlin REALLY meant when he suggested everyone find Nimue.

• Love 2

I would like to know... If the Darkness wasn't destroyed, why were all the previous Dark Ones destroyed?

I really want Adam to Tweet about what Merlin REALLY meant when he suggested everyone find Nimue.

But they weren't destroyed as much as trapped in Excalibur from what I understand. Rumple turned the Holy Grail into a conduit for evil.

If you wanna tweet him, can we just get a bunch of questions together?

I'll start...

Why was Merlin brewing the Dark Curse?

How stupid is Merlin?

• Love 1

I call foul on that though. The sleeping curse is Maleficent's creation, so how long has she been around? Deadbeat left his kids 100 years before. He didn't make it far, because he was apparently arrested for being a general a**hole, then he falls under a sleeping curse, and while he's under his nurse, who apparently also lived 100 years gave him a TLK, and woke him.

Either the writers messed this one up completely, which see: everything else, or the guy is a liar who lies.

I think he's a liar who lies. 

His nurse was actually a fairy? Tinkerbell liked to break the rules and was all into TL and soulmates, and they sent her away leaving Liam 2.0 motherless, and this is why Shady was really hard on the Dreamy/Nova situation??? Look, more Tink/Hook connections that were never explored.

No, but really, his nurse needn't be the same nurse for the entire 100 years, just the last.

• Love 1

So does Rumple have MindNimue or MindZoso speaking to him again?

I'm sort of hoping he's got combinations of clippyRumple, Hook, and Emma.  Storybrooke Rumple is usually so elegant and restrained, that he'd probably be a little horrified if he really paid attention to ImpRumple (who'd probably be crass around Belle, who can't see him), and Hook and Emma would insult him a lot.

Huh. WHat do you suppose our chances are of seeing that on-screen?  

Edited by Mari

My list of unanswered questions:

1. Why/how did Merlin, who was trapped in a tree for 500 years, have a mansion that only arrived in Storybrooke with the second curse?
  2. Why did Merlin establish the post of Author and give that person the power to alter reality? Why were blank Author books stockpiled in the mansion?
  3. When/why/how did Merlin make the hat that could cleave a Dark One from the dagger while retaining power?
  4. Why did Merlin astrally project to warn wee Emma about taking Excalibur? Was there a particular incident that was referring to?
  5. How did Merlin not see that Arthur was going to turn out to be a real jerk?
  6. Why was Merlin brewing the Dark Curse, or something that just needed a crushed heart added to it to make a Dark Curse?
  7. Why did Merlin leave a message saying that they needed Nimue to help when things went wrong?
  8. Is Arthur still sitting in jail in Storybrooke?
  9. Is Gwen still sanded?
  10. What was the point of Lancelot going to the Lady of the Lake?
  11. Whatever happened to Violet -- you know, the girl who was so important to Henry that his tears of heartbreak when she friendzoned him were magically powerful and Henry didn't want to speak to Emma when he learned that Emma made her friendzone him? For someone so important to him, Henry managed to head off and leave her without so much as a word.
  12. What about the cauldron of nasty stuff Arthur cooked up?
  13. Is Dopey still a tree? Whose spell made that happen? Can people cross the town line now without turning into trees?
  14. Did Mulan and Ruby get caught in the latest curse when Merida did? They didn't really have time to get that far away, since it all seems to have happened pretty quickly.
  15. What's happening in Merida's kingdom with her missing all this time? They seem to turn on her at the drop of a hat.
  16. How did Hook not have any Dark One effects just because he didn't have his memories? How did the memory loss also make the past Dark Ones in his head shut up?

As for Papa Hook, do we know for sure that Maleficent invented the Sleeping Curse, or was that just her thing? Fairies do live a long time, so it's entirely possible she was the one who gave the people after him the curse. But does someone under the sleeping curse need a nurse? I thought that was like suspended animation. I also didn't think that they've indicated people are aware while under it. They're in that mirrored room we saw David in before he broke through to the burning room you get after the curse ends. It didn't seem like David was at all aware of what was going on around him. That makes it hard to believe that a TLK would work in this universe with someone who'd never met the person before the curse. And while I guess I could kind of buy him falling in love with what he heard of a woman if he were aware, what kind of weirdo woman would actually manage to be in True Love with a guy who was totally unconscious the whole time she knew him? She would know absolutely nothing about the kind of person he was, so she couldn't be in love with him, but rather with an idea of him that had nothing to do with reality. Does Belle have a sister?

• Love 3
When asked, Adam said Mal was not a fairy.

Oh. Then I guess they deviated from the established character they were using without actually giving her a different backstory. Because the real important story in her past was Regina using the sleeping curse to put a horse to sleep.

Out of Shanna Marie's questions, I expected #1-3 to be must-reveals in 5A.  Of course, zero of them were even alluded to.  

#4 actually opened the season and the actor who played Merlin said that scene was really important and they would go back to it... so all we were supposed to get from it was that Emma shouldn't touch the sword?  But didn't Merlin WANT her to touch the sword to cut the darkness away permanently?  

#6-#7 I expected to be must-reveals in the 5A finale.  But Merlin wasn't even mentioned.

#13 I expected would be answered when we found out who enacted the Curse.  But nope.

Please #15, never be answered.  Ever.

• Love 1

Why did Merlin astrally project to warn wee Emma about taking Excalibur? Was there a particular incident that was referring to?

I guess one could say that is the reason Gold ended up the Darkest Dark of Dark Ones. 

Why did Merlin leave a message saying that they needed Nimue to help when things went wrong?

Because he is a criminal idiot?

What was the point of Lancelot going to the Lady of the Lake?

To keep him from being transported to Sb with the Dark Curse.

Did Mulan and Ruby get caught in the latest curse when Merida did? They didn't really have time to get that far away, since it all seems to have happened pretty quickly.

That's actually a good way to bring them back for 5B I guess.

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1

Gold says he has all the powers of the Dark Ones combined in him.

But I thought the dark powers were passed down from one Dark One to the other which means that he would still have all those powers combined. I thought that was the whole reason Emma and Hook kept seeing Clippy, and hearing the voices of the other Dark Ones in their heads.

Gold says he has all the powers of the Dark Ones combined in him.

But I thought the dark powers were passed down from one Dark One to the other which means that he would still have all those powers combined. I thought that was the whole reason Emma and Hook kept seeing Clippy, and hearing the voices of the other Dark Ones in their heads.

I think that they are trying to say that he has all the power but none of their personalities attached to it as it was before. So now he can draw on the power but doesn't need to deal with them in his head.

Why is Emma trying to give Hook half her heart? He didn't lose his heart. He died of a neck wound. Shouldn't she be giving him half her jugular vein?

Did she go to the morgue and try the heart-halving thing on his actual corpse first?

Why does she assume that putting her heart in someone's non-corporeal soul will work? What happens to his body (in Storybrooke) if she reanimates his soul (in the Underworld)?

Does the fact that she's making essentially the same choice to pull Hook out of death that backfired so spectacularly in this arc not raise the eyebrows of her loved ones? Does her inability to just let the poor sap die make her the Most Clingy Girlfriend Ever?

Why do none of these idiots ask these types of questions? Emma comes in, all crazy eyes and grief, announces a poorly-thought-out plan, and the team's like "Whelp, drop the babies off with the nun-fairies, get some homework assignments for Henry, and off we go!" Why are they going at all? What possibly use could anyone but Regina and Rumpel be? The Nevengers' track record isn't all that spectacular. At the very least - why would you take your 13-year old son to the Underworld? This is some crappy co-parenting by both Emma and Regina.    

• Love 1

I don't think the plan is to do the heart swap in the underworld, more so I think the plan is to retrieve his soul and bring it back to Storybrooke and meld it with his body.

I don't think she tried the heart halfing in Storybrooke because that's been done before with Daniel in season two and it worked out horribly because even if Whale can reanimated a body he doesn't have the mystical ability to bring a soul back with it.

Why they didn't take any equipment or mystical artifacts with them I have no idea though, that doesn't make much sense.

• Love 1

Maybe the curse ended with Hook's/Nimue's death, so Dopey is now de-treed.

We know the curse ends if the Savior dies, but there is no Savior. Does it also end if the "caster" dies? We were never told, were we?

I've already asked Adam a number of those questions on twitter. No response, though. I guess I should have been more rude and annoying.

I still want to know what kind of dropped storyline the mysterious snow globe was going to be. Technically Hook should still have it in his pocket or something. Now that 5a is over, Brigitte might spill because she said she wouldn't reveal anything in case the snow globe made it into the cut again.

• Love 4
Please #15, never be answered.  Ever.

It's not so much that I care or want to see it, but when they devote two entire episodes to the issue of Merida's fitness for the throne and whether the clans will support her, and then as soon as she's crowned she immediately heads back to Camelot to get her revenge and gets sucked by a curse into another world for at least a few weeks, it seems like a dropped plot thread. I'm picturing the chaos that ensues in her absence.

What was the point of Lancelot going to the Lady of the Lake?

To keep him from being transported to Sb with the Dark Curse.

Well, yeah, but why? Was there anything in the plot that would have been ruined if he hadn't been transported with the rest of them? I guess they didn't want to have to pay the actor for the Storybrooke scenes, but most of the Camelot folks were offscreen most of the time, anyway, so it came across like something important was being set up, only for it not to matter. Though I suppose it's a lot like the speculation when Hook, Emma, and Henry were all conveniently away from Camelot when Snow and David got sanded, and that turned out not to matter at all.

Does the fact that she's making essentially the same choice to pull Hook out of death that backfired so spectacularly in this arc not raise the eyebrows of her loved ones? Does her inability to just let the poor sap die make her the Most Clingy Girlfriend Ever?

That's why I don't really get the way they handled his death. They could have done it in a lot of ways that would have suggested that he wasn't dead-dead and therefore a somewhat living person was trapped in the Underworld where he couldn't survive for long and therefore needed to be rescued. He could have also been sucked into the sword. He could have been sucked into the lake portal. He could have vanished so there was no body. They could have used Merida's Hotline to the Afterlife Ale to find out where he was. But they went with the very mundane, real-world detail of showing his body on a gurney with his face being covered by a sheet.

Thanks, Delphi, that makes (slightly) more sense.

I would presume we can expect them to transport his soul in a hollowed-out coconut, as this is basically the Underworld version of Neverland?

I just assumed that they'd find an Orb of Thesula and Regina can speak some Latin at it.

• Love 3

Well, yeah, but why? Was there anything in the plot that would have been ruined if he hadn't been transported with the rest of them? I guess they didn't want to have to pay the actor for the Storybrooke scenes, but most of the Camelot folks were offscreen most of the time, anyway, so it came across like something important was being set up, only for it not to matter. 

Simply because Lance in Sb could have immediately told the Nevengers that Arthur was shady. As Charms hadn't bonded with Arthur in Storybrooke, and had no memories from Camelot, both he and Snow would've believed Lance right away. They needed the drama to play out in Sb. And then it all pretty much amounted to nothing anyway. But that seems to have been the idea.

Edited by Rumsy4