Type keyword(s) to search

Somebody Feed Phil - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've only watched the Rio de Janiero episode so far, but it was a good reminder why I love this show. People are so cynical and picky and negative so it makes me happy to see Phil genuinely delighted by the food he eats and the people he meets. For someone who has been fortunate enough to travel to so many places, Rio must be truly spectacular for Phil to say that it was one of the most beautiful places he'd ever seen.

Ha, I felt a little bad for his wife and father when they had to watch him eat all those delicious snacks!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

But OMG, all those people at the beach for Carnivale!  This couldn't have been shot this year, could it?

If I recall correctly, he shot everything from the previous installment and this one at the same time. They split the season so that half the episodes were released earlier this year.

On 7/7/2018 at 7:06 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I have to agree with Phil - Venice may have a reputation for being full of tourists but people go there because it's gorgeous.

Everything he ate in Venice and Modena looked so fucking delicious!

There were a few seafood dishes that looked gorgeous but I could not eat -- oysters, mussels, and squid are just too pungent for me!

On 7/7/2018 at 2:54 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I had to laugh, Phil's famous pork chop looks almost exactly like the breaded pork tenderloin that I order at a Bohemian restaurant by my house.  Except they serve it with a ton of brown gravy to pour over it.  Next time I bring one home I'm going to cut off a piece and try some white vinegar on it.

And now I really want to visit Venice. 

I've been to Venice briefly 3 times and can't wait to return!  As much as I love it, though, I have never associated Venice with great food.  That pork chop could change my mind.  I think I could die happy after devouring one of those!  But this summer I also want to try making some of the cold vegetable dishes the owner had Phil try first.  I remember an assortment of such dishes at a lunch buffet in Florence -- just delectable!

• Like 1
On 6/24/2021 at 4:59 AM, biakbiak said:

Renewed for season 5 which will be 10 episodes. No word on when it will premiere.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQb6NOLtDMx/?utm_medium=copy_link

May 25.

I haven't seen Somebody Feed Phil.

Seen the one season of his PBS show.

How does SFP compare to Searching for Italy?

Or Bourdain?

Also it's suppose to be in 4K and HDR.  Do they have good cinematography?  Not just the food photography but maybe land and cityscapes, street photography of the places?

10 minutes ago, aghst said:

May 25.

I haven't seen Somebody Feed Phil.

Seen the one season of his PBS show.

How does SFP compare to Searching for Italy?

Or Bourdain?

Also it's suppose to be in 4K and HDR.  Do they have good cinematography?  Not just the food photography but maybe land and cityscapes, street photography of the places?

I can't answer any of your questions. I just know I enjoy Someone Feed Phil. He's such a hoot.

• Love 1

They must be splitting the season if it was renewed for 10 episodes.  And that's good because I need more!

I love this show.  I discovered it in quarantine and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Usually I grow weary or travelogue shows and need to break them up but I actually had to pace myself not to go through them too fast. 

The Oaxaca episode was great. I know all of the food would be too spicy for me but I still wanted to try it. 

• Love 1
On 7/7/2018 at 9:32 PM, chessiegal said:

We went to Florence and Rome last year, and so many of my friends said, you're not going to Venice? No, not on my bucket list. I enjoyed the Venice show but affirmed my desire to not go to Venice. I enjoyed Florence and Rome, but I found the Italians to be very disorganized and in general rude, especially the men. I have no desire to return to Italy. People talk about the French being rude, but we found if you start each encounter with "Bonjour Monsieur or Madam, they are just as nice as can be.

We've been to Italy twice, about 3 decades apart. The first time was just Venice for a couple of weeks, and the second time was Venice, Florence, Rome, and Siena. Even though Venice was more crowded in 2014, it is still one of my favorite places because all you have to do feel the mystique is walk away from the main tourist areas and explore the side streets that don't seem to have changed in thousands of years. And we didn't encounter any rudeness. You may want to give Venice a chance before it sinks! 

• Like 1
On 6/27/2021 at 9:58 AM, theajw said:

Phil's father Max died last night.  Very sad.

We just finished the latest season (or maybe the first half of the latest season), and we liked the way he paid tribute to his father in each episode while still being funny.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm watching a couple of episodes every night and really enjoying not only seeing the food, but also learning a little about each city.  Phil is funny and nice to everyone.  How does he stay so slim when he eats so much?  I wish I knew his secret.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 6/7/2022 at 12:27 PM, DonnaMae said:

I'm watching a couple of episodes every night and really enjoying not only seeing the food, but also learning a little about each city.  Phil is funny and nice to everyone.  How does he stay so slim when he eats so much?  I wish I knew his secret.

He said recently in an interview that he loves feeding his crew, and that if he ate all that food, he would gain too much weight.  :) 

Phil’s a runner, sometimes demonstrating that in an episode. I’m willing to bet when not filming, there’s a pretty balanced meal plan. Perhaps that’s also why he’s so happy eating the good stuff—it’s a treat, not a way of life.

6th season is now on Netflix.  Phil goes to Philadelphia, Croatia, Austin, Santiago and Nashville. It also includes a tribute episode to his parents .  I love how open to trying anything and how kind he is to everyone. The tribute episode is lovely. How wonderful to get a opportunity to show everyone how much they mean to him and his family.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Croatia is gorgeous.  And Gilbert Gottfried!  I wonder when this was filmed.  And I loved it when they got the sea water to use when preparing the oysters and it was crystal clear.  I wish it could be that way everywhere.  

• Love 1

The Helen and Max episode was lovely.

Philadelphia was a terrific experience, not the least because of the family feel with Michael Solomonov and Marc Vetri. A 2011 NYT article, if you’d like to know more about what fostered that feeling. I can gift with my subscription, so no paywall.

I could have lived without the Rocky joke, but it’s Phil. In Philadelphia. And the food more than made up for it.😂

• Like 1

I finally watched the Nashville episode. I had low expectations (sorry, Nashville), so when I say they were exceeded I don't mean to damn that episode with faint praise, but now I want to go to Nashville. Well-played, Phil and Richard.

• Like 1

I just saw the Chicago episode from a few seasons back.

A lot of the people who were featured eating all those fatty comfort food were overweight.

Phil's celebration of food seems to straddle the line to gluttony.

He stuffs his face and makes those funny facial expressions or utterances as reactions.  Certainly different from someone like Stanley Tucci, who's sometimes not that convincing in his reactions.

He says he hits the hotel gym constantly when he films.

His daughter and wife appeared on different segments.  The daughter looks like she has a healthy appetite.

He does have cool segments, like talking about food deserts and how this one program tried to bring fresh produce to the inner city where they didn't have access to them.

I get the impression though that he's doing this to help out his brothers and other relatives who are behind the camera.

Certainly he can't be making anywhere near what he made on his sitcom.

get the impression though that he's doing this to help out his brothers and other relatives who are behind the camera.

Bonus for them, he’s big on family, but Phil, wanna travel wherever you want and explore whatever food you want, meet new folks, pig out, tour, nice hotels, get paid, bring your wife and kids if they’re available?  

• Like 1

My point is that it's a way to give his brother and other family members jobs.

He probably enjoys a lot of the trips he's taking.

Seems to be game for just about anything and seems to be a bit of a people-pleaser so he plays to them -- the influencers and chefs who film segments with him -- as much as the audience in his reactions.

He ate the raw squid parts which were still moving in the Seoul episode.

The producers do a good job of finding some serious issues, so that the whole thing isn't some frivolous adventure for a guy who has the means and the opportunity to travel all over the world and probably dine on a budget which would be out of reach to many people.

For instance, in Chicago they addressed food desserts.  In Seoul, they sat down with someone who'd escaped North Korea and found joy at seeing a food that she hadn't seen since she was a child back in North Korea, which brought back a flood of memories to her.

This potato dumpling is like her Proustian madeleine, the way taste and smell are tied to some of our most powerful memories.

• Like 1

Phil’s back! I started with Kyoto, because I’ve always wanted to go. It’s beautiful—hope you like fish. Plus, Monica.

Phil definitely has his own style of very curated experiences, e.g. René Redzepi is in town with a pop-up Noma (which is closing soon). Later, the reunion meal is at the place run by a Noma chef. You get the idea. But you also get the respect for Kyoto and a few historical examples. 

I can identify with Phil saying that Kyoto is a place you miss, even when you’re there, knowing you’ll leave. I had that feeling in Positano.

I watch the eps in order. I always enjoy each one, some more than others, of course.

The Mumbai ep was good, although most of the food looked very unappetizing to me. Brown. (I was recovering from a stomach bug at the time, so there's that.)

I LOVED the Kyoto ep. What a gorgeous city. The samurai tour guide (Joe?) was fantastic. Adorable. I thought this was my favorite ep, and then...

Iceland! Just wow. Everything about it is amazing, just like Phil said. The landscape, the people, the culture, the food.

I frankly wasn't all that excited when I saw that the next ep was Dubai, but this was surprisingly good also. My favorite part was when he ate the dish (raw lamb, I believe) at the award-winning woman's restaurant, and he was so emotional and trying to explain the magical effects the food had on him.

I don't follow internet personalities, so I'd never heard of the guy who has travelled to every country in the world. How amazing. I also loved hearing from the guy in Iceland who does photography and travelogues. 

I was so excited to see Kyoto, since I was just there in July and am going back in a couple of weeks. I wrote down everything. Unfortunately a pop up restaurant in its last week was no help. lol. I did like the looks of that buckwheat place, so maybe. 
The Mumbai episode was wonderful for me because I absolutely love Indian food. 
I admit that the food scene in Orlando didn’t interest me, but I found Washington DC really interesting. I enjoyed his lunch with Pete Buttigieg.
My experience in Dubai is only the airport, which was an experience in itself
What I love best about his show is Phil’s generosity of spirit, and his sense of humor. 

• Like 1
On 2/18/2024 at 8:32 AM, chessiegal said:

I suppose it depends on how contracts are written, but do writers get residuals from reruns? I agree, either way, he doesn't need the money to pay the bills.

They do get residuals but Phil wasn't just a writer. He was the creator.  Every time the show gets sold into reruns or a foreign adaptation is made, he gets paid. 

On 2/18/2024 at 1:57 PM, aghst said:

My point is that it's a way to give his brother and other family members jobs.

He probably enjoys a lot of the trips he's taking.

He's working with the same production company as Anthony Bourdain's travel show.  I do think he likes working with his family on this but I don't think that's the reason he does the show.  I was just reading an article about his choice to do the show.  After Everyone Loves Raymond, he was looking at what to do next and he felt like he could combine traveling with filming.  And thus, the show was born. 

On 3/2/2024 at 11:53 PM, buttersister said:

Phil’s back! I started with Kyoto, because I’ve always wanted to go. It’s beautiful—hope you like fish. Plus, Monica.

I'm half way through the Dubai episode.  Kyoto really was magical.  I've never felt compelled to travel to Japan but Kyoto flipped that switch. 

I have to admit that I feel a little Iceland-d out because it feels like everyone is going there or filming there but this show has a way of making everything look exceptional and I started to love it again. 

I really like the approach they're taking with Dubai since there are so many immigrants there.  It's a way to travel to many different countries they might not otherwise visit. I can't decide if the dropped most expensive hamburger was real or a bit. 

• Like 1