Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Liar Liar

Eddie gets annoyed when he catches Nicole changing her opinions in order to impress her new crush, Jackie. Louis is eager to expand his social circle with Matthew Chestnut's friends, but Jessica fears her sometimes-too-generous husband is overextending himself. When Emery and Evan take Honey shopping to find her a new, easy style to help her when the baby comes, their idea of a "mom" wardrobe is met with some resistance.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I really enjoyed this episode, which is surprising since "Fresh Off the Boat" is usually hit or miss with me (mostly because of Jessica and the youngest son). However, I genuinely laughed several times, and I especially liked Louis's and the restaurant manager's train of thought conversation because that's exactly how my mind works too. The only thing I didn't get is how they went from "Jean Claude Van Damme" to "women." The rest of the train made sense.

That Jackie was quite the pretentious little barista, wasn't she? The age difference bothered me, because Nicole's still in high school, right? And I'm guessing the barista is maybe a freshman in college? Given how pretentious she was, I'd say most definitely. She struck me as the kind of person who would take a Psych 101 course and say she knows how the world works after three lectures (h/t to "American Dad").

And speaking of age differences, how creepy is it that late-20s Honey (sure, we'll suspend disbelief for that) is hanging out with 8- and 13-year-olds (or however old the two younger boys are)? While I did laugh at her comment about the boys not knowing how really tight her clothing is, except, eww, she made it to a teen and pre-teen boy.

• Love 5

The age difference bothered me, because Nicole's still in high school, right? And I'm guessing the barista is maybe a freshman in college? Given how pretentious she was, I'd say most definitely. 

Nicole was held back a year so they could easily be the same age.

I assume going to Hooters was a shoutout to the fact in real life the Huangs sold Cattlemans to Hooters.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

That Jackie was quite the pretentious little barista, wasn't she? The age difference bothered me, because Nicole's still in high school, right? And I'm guessing the barista is maybe a freshman in college? Given how pretentious she was, I'd say most definitely. She struck me as the kind of person who would take a Psych 101 course and say she knows how the world works after three lectures (h/t to "American Dad").

And she's absolutely kidding herself if she thinks Roberto Benigni is any less of a broad clown than Jim Carrey was. Thinking that European = sophisticated is always a good indicator of an immature, pretentious person.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Nicole was held back a year so they could easily be the same age.

I assume going to Hooters was a shoutout to the fact in real life the Huangs sold Cattlemans to Hooters.

I don't think Nicole's a senior, though, is she? I still think she was younger than the barista.

I laughed that the Hooters had a "wife alarm." 

• Love 3

I don't know how old Nicole is supposed to be but actress Luna Blaise is 16 according to IMDB. Diamond White (Jackie) doesn't have an age listed on IMDB so I checked her Wikipedia page. She is 19. That doesn't necessarily mean that the characters are the same age as the actresses. It's not unusual for teenagers to be played be older actors.

21 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I don't think Nicole's a senior, though, is she? I still think she was younger than the barista.

In Season 2 she was held back to 8th grade so that means by now she'd be 11th grade if she hadn't failed the 8th grade. I believe the barista was also in high school, though. 

Edited by joanne3482
  • Love 1

Nicole's lucky, a teenage girl who won't date someone who isn't bilingual is NOT a good catch! Blessing in disguise. I liked the whole storyline a lot, though. And same with Louis's -- getting busted by his wife for NOT going to Hooter's but instead helping a child with a school project was hilarious, right down to the sequin as the "tell." And I like Honey's new softer 'do.

Also Jessica telling the white Hooters hostess that she probably thinks Louis looks like Jessica in a wig was awesome.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Blakeston said:

And she's absolutely kidding herself if she thinks Roberto Benigni is any less of a broad clown than Jim Carrey was.

No kidding! Roberto Benigni is so broad he makes Jim Carrey look like Clive Owen. What a pretentious derp that coffee house girl was. Nicole probably dodged a bullet with that one. She can do better. I really liked the plot with Nicole trying to get with a cute girl, and Eddie as her incompetent but well meaning wing man. It was sweet to see him trying to be a supportive friend, especially when Nicole is still pretty fresh off coming out. I also liked the call back to when Eddie had a crush on her. "You pierced your ear for me..." 

I also really liked Louis and his new friends, and everything about Hooters. The "wife button", Jessica saying that the Hooters waitress probably thought Louis was Jessica in a wig, and, especially, how super happy and proud Jessica was that her husband was at Hooters! That was hilarious every time. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

In Season 2 she was held back to 8th grade so that means by now she'd be 11th grade if she hadn't failed the 8th grade. I believe the barista was also in high school, though. 

Nicole and Eddie went to the coffee place during their lunch break to see Nicole's crush, so I'm guessing that means Miss Pretentious is at least finished with high school in order to be working at that time of day.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Coffee shop girl...bitch, please. I know you're cute and all, but a teenage American lesbian in the 90s who is picky about her dates' cunning linguistics is going to be pretty lonely.

I see what you did there. :-)

• Love 5

There were a few good laughs here and there, like the Hooters' Wife Alarm, though most of the episode was hit and miss for me.  Nicole learned a nice lesson but I don't blame the coffee girl for finding Eddie a tad irritating after awhile.