Type keyword(s) to search

New Year's Eve (CNN) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am still shocked that people care about the 30 seconds it takes that ball to drop & would sit around for 4 hours watching Andy getting Anderson drunk. Wow! That’s entertainment. Great time to binge some Netflix.

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

I flipped it on at 11:58 (quiet evening at home streaming movies) just to see the ball drop.....where the fuck was everybody. There was nobody on stage, no one talking....no on air countdown?  The camera was just wandering around. It looked like it was just being filmed from someones phone. I kept watching for another 6 minutes till finally AC showed up. I thought maybe CNN had another bomb threat or AC was in a porta-john or something.

This is exactly what I did - tuned in about 11:58 (I was watching That's Entertainment on TCM, a much better use of my time).  I was also confused about the lack of anyone talking.  However, later on in the hour, Brooke and Don said something about technical difficulties and not being able to talk to Andy and Anderson, so that might have been the issue.  What poor timing for tech problems. 

Happy New Year everyone! 

• Love 3

It was a hot mess.  I don't know why Anderson subjects himself.  Too much talk about Andy's baby.  It felt like they were trying to fill time.  And Randi Kaye down at St. Bart's.  Was she drunk at the end when she jumped up on the table and when she drank from the snorkel beer bong thing?

I won't watch this next year.  What a waste of time.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

I flipped it on at 11:58 (quiet evening at home streaming movies) just to see the ball drop.....where the fuck was everybody. There was nobody on stage, no one talking....no on air countdown?  The camera was just wandering around. It looked like it was just being filmed from someones phone. I kept watching for another 6 minutes till finally AC showed up. I thought maybe CNN had another bomb threat or AC was in a porta-john or something.

They do that every year.  Anderson usually says something about letting the viewing audience enjoy the ball drop, songs, crowd, etc. without the incessant commentary.  Quiet time usually starts with Imagine and ends with Somewhere Over the Rainbow.  I kind of like it (especially after 4 hours of Cohen).

• Love 2

The only parts that were remotely entertaining was drunk Don. I asked my 8 year old how old she thought he was and she said 35. I still can’t believe the man is 52! Maybe if they had more of him and Brooke and less of the boring A duo, more people will tune in.

• Love 3

Yeah, I think you're right about Brooke & Don. They're the ones who shoulda been in Times Square. but they clearly had more fun where they were.  Those 2 aren't the whiners that Anderson Cooper & Andy Cohen are & they're up for fun on NYE.  They're a so much better fit for this shitty gig.  Well, it seems like a shitty gig to me -- and  it so obviously seems like a really shitty gig to Andy Cohen & Anderson Cooper.  So why have them there, CNN?

Don always seemed like a fun guy to me.  He keeps that side toned down every night -- but not completely.  He regularly gives hints he's got a good sense of humor & fun.

And Brooke?  Well, I don't mean this as an insult (just an observation), but I look at her on CNN every nite & think some producer found her in some strip club somewhere & just plopped her into a CNN gig.  Oh, I know Brooke is super bright & very good at what she does on CNN, but her look is kinda stripper-ish (at least to me).  Maybe toned-down stripper-ish, but still stripper-ish.  Actually, what her look on CNN always said to me is she's probably a fun gal.  I never got ANY indication of that from her usually very serious manner on CNN, so it was a kick to see her let loose on NYE.

Anderson's shtick with Kathy was getting so freakin' stale.  Kathy would make bj jokes or something similarly "shocking" & Anderson would giggle like a little girl.  Rinse, lather & repeat 50 billion times till the ball drops.  Ugh.  I love Kathy, but she should be glad she never has to repeat that shit ever again.  So now CNN sticks us with Anderson looking absolutely miserable & making no bones about how he hates this shitty gig, and Andy Cohen whining his head off about how he clearly hates being there.  So we should watch this shit . . . uh, why, CNN? 

Er, this should be the LAST NYE for Andy Cohen & Anderson Cooper, CNN!

I can't stand Jenny.  For so many reasons, I can't stand this woman.  First & foremost is how fucking annoying she is.  But I give her credit that she was a good sport about being stuck there in the pouring rain.  Who would want to do that?  It sucks!  I thought she looked pretty decent, given she was standing in the rain with no umbrella for hours.

I was puzzled by Diana Ross on NBC.  I thought it was supposed to be a live performance.  It sure was promoted that way.  But it looked to be the same performance from when she was at the lighting of the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center -- nearly a month earlier.  The tree behind her was unlit.  Diana looked great, but not a bit wet & no rain anywhere in sight.  Er, huh???  Good grief, fake-out much, NBC?

• Love 5

I cannot stand Andy Cohen (even though I watch Real Housewives of NY)....so he is an automatic remote-grabber for me.  I don't know what the answer might be for an interesting, fun New Year's Eve show.  I do know that I hate having vulgarities shoved at me, especially when it is forced;  Andy forces all of it.  He is smug, obnoxious, entitled and a pain-in-the-ass (that last thing is the most positive thing I can think of about him).  I would not watch him on anything, anywhere, anytime.  I like Anderson Cooper but he just seems over it all.  

And thanks to the poster upthread about the Brooke Baldwin comments; I thought it was just me!  Yes, she is really smart but her make-up and hair do her no favors.  I know it must be a fine line between annoying/vulgar/boring and entertaining on New Year's Eve.  The current hosts cross it all the time; and that is NOT entertaining.  Maybe CNN could just go with one of their scripted shows/interviews (rerun, of course) and then interrupt for the ball drop and song at midnight.  It could not be worse.  We also watched That's Entertainment.

• Love 4

The 2019-2020 Countdown from New York, Nashville,  and Denver  was a bit loud and annoying (as usual) but at least it wasn't as loud and annoying as it had been when Kathy Griffin was on it, IMO.  

Does anyone watch this anymore?  Seems so cliche & boring & a pointless waste of time to wait around for 4 hours to see a ball drop in Times Square & to watch fools packed together, standing around in the cold & rain.  And why bother watching these 2 babbling endlessly for 4 hours?

Andy Cohen bothers me much less now than he used to, but I only watched for a few moments & yeah, he predictably had that Joker smile permanently plastered on his mug.  Not for me.  I checked out right away.  It all seems way too forced to me.  I also remember all too well how badly Kathy Griffin was treated by CNN & I just want no part of any of this.  I’m sure I didn’t miss much.  I’m happy to welcome the new year without watching these 2.  Anyone else?

• Love 6

I haven't really watched any of them since Kathy got booted from CNN. I tried watching the first year Andy and Anderson did this but I couldn't make it through the whole thing. I don't know if these New Years Eve shows in general have gotten worse or if I've outgrown being entertained by them.

• Love 7

I haven't watch since Kathy Griffin was treated so poorly by CNN and her "good friend" Anderson Cooper.  I have never liked Andy Cohen.  He just seems like such a sleazy wanna be.  I have thought much less of Anderson ever since I found out that they were friends.   

• Love 7

Andy Cohen is getting all kind of 'buzz" after his rant about Mayor Bill DiBlasio, I was surprised CNN didnt mute his mic!  Anderson tried to make him stop, but Andy was on a role & Andy apologized this morning for having over-indulged :)  The 2 of them were sillier than ever but I found them more amusing than Ryan Seacrest.  

• Love 3

I think I'm still bitter about Kathy, but I find A&A almost unwatchable.  So I'm not sure what it says about me that I find drunk Don Lemon highly amusing - because I do.

I mostly watch because if I don't see the ginormous glass ball drop, it can't be a new year.  I miss Guy Lombardo...

• Love 7