Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Honestly, apologies to those that like it, but now that I've seen the White Canary outfit in action, I think it's a total fug (with apologies to the Fug Girls). The color makes poor Caity Lotz look totally washed out, and it's just such an ugly dirty looking white. I appreciate that they did away with the increasingly exaggerated cleavage of her BC outfit, but otherwise....I am not a fan.

I don't like the built-in corset-y thing. Makes her boobs look weird. I'm totally on board with covering up the cleavage, but either have a corset with associated cleavage or don't. 

I wish she could wear her old outfit even with the cleavage it looked better, Because Comics ruins everything. 

However the good thing is CL said she doesn't wear the Canary costume that often. 

• Love 1

It looks very spacey which I don't mind but it did seem to cut into her and Gray isn't a pleasant color. It has some potential as an outfit once it's black again ;)

I feel like there is going to be a lot of wailing and lamentations (and drinking) after the death...bc LL will still be truckin' along like a cockroach. Not to mention, then S5 will probably be "her" season.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1

I feel like there is going to be a lot of wailing and lamentations (and drinking) after the death...bc LL will still be truckin' along like a cockroach. Not to mention, then S5 will probably be "her" season.

I was just joking. I know they aren't killing Laurel. And while I will blow a huge gasket if Diggle dies I don't really want more girls killed. Though cause Laurel isn't really connected to Oliver personaly any more she would be the most likely death if not for her comic orgin

• Love 1

It's not hard to be one of the best people on The Flash.  Cisco acts like he's five years old ("Don't slurp." slurp slurp slurp), no wonder kids like the show.  And Joe and Barry straight out lie to Patty right to her face after she's smart enough to have figured out the big secret.  I'm sick of both of them.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4

It's not hard to be one of the best people on The Flash.  Cisco acts like he's five years old ("Don't slurp." slurp slurp slurp), no wonder kids like the show.  And Joe and Barry straight out lie to Patty right to her face after she's smart enough to have figured out the big secret.  I'm sick of both of them.

Spot on! I got angry and called Barry an asshole out loud and a moron for not telling Patty

• Love 2

Barry is such whiny little child. Everyone he loves leaves him? WHAT ABOUT THE GUY WHO TOOK YOU IN AND RAISED YOU? WHAT ABOUT YOUR BEST FRIEND who you were at one point allegedly in love with? She stuck with your pathetic ass, although God knows why at this point. Bleh. I liked Barry once upon a time.

• Love 9

Barry is such whiny little child. Everyone he loves leaves him? WHAT ABOUT THE GUY WHO TOOK YOU IN AND RAISED YOU? WHAT ABOUT YOUR BEST FRIEND who you were at one point allegedly in love with? She stuck with your pathetic ass, although God knows why at this point. Bleh. I liked Barry once upon a time.

LOL sounds like Barry needs to meet up with Laurel and then they can both cry about how everyone they love leaves them. MY HEART BLEEDS.

Also AK really needs to get some new dialogue haha.

Edited by Guest

Also AK really needs to get some new dialogue haha.

And new goodbye scenes. A blonde looking out the train window, saying, "Bye, Barry" while he speeds away has already been done on the show (1x04? The one with Felicity). 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

I haven't watched too many episode primarily because of the insta-love story between Barry and Patty, but what really frustrated me with tonight's episode (viewed the footage on YouTube) sf how Patty cried wolf after being a damsel in distress at least 3 times on the show to prove to herself that Barry was indeed "The Flash"! Ugh if this man denied it and lied to your face about his altar ego that should have been enough for you to continue on your separate journey from him. But no some how these writers are tried to romanticize her tricking him into thinking she was in danger so she could go  "a ha I knew you were The Flash" was a bit ridiculous to me.

I along with others who had the same sentiment on Twitter think Season 2 can actually begin (they spent 11 episodes on Barry and Patty focus) since  the show is done with their "Ode To A Hero's Love Story" featuring Barry and Patty's ridiculously and dumb story arc (for now, say this because they let her live which means she could make a return).

Flash was one of my favorite shows last season. I looked forward to each week's episode. It wasn't perfect but it was a fun show that made me smile. And now it's like "meh - I don't know when I'll get around to watching it." Nothing about this season really interests me. :(

• Love 5

I actually kind of like the Earth 2 stuff (mostly Harry) and I am interested to see what happens with Wally.  But they have definitely made some errors this season.  It's not enough for me not to watch, but I do hope it's not a sign that things will get even worse (it's like season two of Arrow had issues but Slade, Shado, and Sara saved it - then season three was a crash and burn and it was like ouch - should have seen that coming!).

I think the stuff with Caitlyn and Jay was a mistake. My other half keeps looking at the screen and saying, "Didn't her husband just die?" every time he catches a scene with them.  And even though it was like six months ago - he's kind of right.  They should have just let them be friends.

Patty and Barry were equally mistake-ridden.  I don't believe Barry really loved her (though I think he wanted to) so I don't mind him doing the self-sacrificing thing of saying "go" when he really wanted to say "stay," but I hated that he was kind of giving her a guilt trip about it at the same time.  Not cool Barry.  I also don't like that they took her from "you aren't ready, so I'm going to go follow my dream" to "just tell me to stay and I will stay."  No, come on, did you have to have her play games like that at the end?  And the phone call was not cool.  I mean, I understand the desire to make some admit something you know to be true, but it still wasn't cool Patty.

Still kind of glad that story has run it's course.  The relationships on Flash are not all that interesting and I'd rather see them focus on Zoom and the Earth 2 look into an alternative reality stuff.

• Love 1

I don't know why everyone thinks that the Flash is the best comic book show out there. The entire show only seems to be about Barry getting pep talks from his one hundred father figures then he runs really fast and saves the day. I guess I don't get it because I'm not a Flash comic book reader. It's not a depressing mess like Arrow but I just watch it as background noise while doing other things and now waiting for Agent Carter to start. 

Zoom is interesting but he'll probably just be Earth 2 Barry or one of the Earth 2 versions of Barry's one hundred father figures. 

• Love 9

Some married couples are terrible when playing opposite each other but Melissa Benoist and Blake Jenner met when they were playing love interests to each other in Glee so I expect they'll have chemistry.  Especially since the point of this seems to be giving Kara yet another love interest.

To be fair on Glee Melissa and Blake's chemistry sucked. Actually Blake had better chemistry with Melissa's love interest on Glee than she did. But they were both weighed down by the worst writing ever. On Supergirl they were great together.

• Love 2

I don't know why everyone thinks that the Flash is the best comic book show out there. The entire show only seems to be about Barry getting pep talks from his one hundred father figures then he runs really fast and saves the day. I guess I don't get it because I'm not a Flash comic book reader. It's not a depressing mess like Arrow but I just watch it as background noise while doing other things and now waiting for Agent Carter to start. 

Zoom is interesting but he'll probably just be Earth 2 Barry or one of the Earth 2 versions of Barry's one hundred father figures. 

I suspect it's because first and foremost, it's the Flash.  While he isn't as big as Superman and Batman and there has been more than one version of the character - The Flash is still fairly well known outside the comic book world.  The only other comic book show on television right now that is using characters as well known as Flash is actually Supergirl and I expect that show will build a pretty solid audience if CBS gives it time.

The other thing that Flash has going for it is that there are times when it is downright fun.  Those times are a little less frequent than they should be in my opinion and they really need to get over their fascination with the mentor/mentee dynamic, but at times Flash can be a lot of fun and give you that "yes! the good guys are winning" feeling.  And while yes, there is a market for gritty, sometimes you just want to watch television and have fun with it.  I think most of the time Flash gives that to you.

Last season, Flash was definitely my favorite* of all genre shows. Including the non-superhero genre shows. This season I'm bored as hell.

* Favorite has nothing at all to do with quality. I'm talking about level of engagement and enjoyment. I'm having trouble engaging the show this season, and I'm definitely not enjoying it much. Big letdown.

• Love 8

Yes, that expresses it perfectly.

I'm feeling much the same about Supergirl, although that's been a more recent development, and I was never as excited about it as I was Flash last season.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

I enjoy the hell out of the the "adults" on Supergirl -- Cat, Alex, Hank, Maxwell Lord, I always want more from those characters. But the "teenagers" and their relationship quadrangle of yuck -- Kara, Wynn, Jimmy, Lucy -- put me into a coma I'm so bored.

• Love 5

I wanted to like Jimmy, but Kara/Jimmy is as much of a fail as Kara/Winn. They need to have Winn grow past that crush (he can be fun when he's not pining) and flat out give Jimmy a personality, Hank, Max Lord, and even Cat's son (actually, both her sons) are all better male characters. The women are all wonderful, so that's something.

• Love 3

At this point I like Lucy way better than both Wynn and Jimmy. I think both are borderline Nice Guy[TM] tropes walking. Wynn is the typical best friend with intentions bullcrap of the Xander Harris variety, and the fact that Jimmy is totally stringing Lucy along makes me think he's a dickwad.

I don't 'ship any of the teens, though. I'm all about Alex, and whoever she wants to make out with, that's the 'ship I'll stan for life.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 3

I like Jimmy, but I don't think I want him with Kara.  He clearly needs to figure out what he wants out of his relationship with Lucy and be straight with her about it. But I don't get the sense that Kara likes him for any reason other than he's hot and he's close friends with her cousin.  I know relationships usually begin because for little reasons (including thinking the other person is attractive) but Jimmy has a woman in his life that he seems to have real feelings for, they have a real history, and they actually seem very compatible.  It would be incredibly foolish if Jimmy let Lucy's fears of "how can I compete with Supergirl" actually come true.  I'd much rather Kara get over her crush and they bring Lucy in on the secret and she and Kara become good friends.

For me, Winn gets bonus points because he liked Kara when she was just his co-worker, but since she has obviously never returned those feelings - I hope he moves on and they just become good friends as well. 

In fact, I think it would be downright amazing if the love triangle they teased early on gets altogether shattered by season end and Kara just ends up with her own little Team Supergirl that all get along without romantic hangs ups.  Let that romance drama come from outside the circle of trust show! 

• Love 1

I don't watch The Flash anymore. I think I've watched one episode this season and that probably was the crossover. LOL. It's lost its way a bit, for me personally. 

And I like Supergirl but sometimes it doesn't feel like there's any stakes. I almost feel like I could miss a couple of episodes and not have missed anything? It's weird. I'm not invested in it, that's for sure. But I do like some of the characters and dynamics. Winn sucks though.

Edited by Guest

I gave up on Supergirl, it just wasn't holding my interest. And I really wanted to like it and for it to do well so we can get more female hero shows. I don't know what it is, maybe they are playing it too safe? Too fluffy? They seem to be focusing on the love interests instead of giving her some meatier storylines. I get that she's a happy person and I liked that, but that doesn't mean her only focus should be what guy she wants to date. Did she really need 3 love interests in the first season? 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

I think they're playing it too safe.  And doing too much ship-stalling.  On a superhero show, I prefer the relationship to be set and the drama to come from the villains rather than the soap.

AK said that Arrow and Supergirl had to be changed from the original premise while The Flash is pretty much the same in 1x23 as it was in 1x01.  (We know Arrow changed from the Oliver/Laurel/Tommy show to the Olver/Team Arrow show.)  I think part of the change they're making on Supergirl is to move her Team from Winn and James to Alex, Hank and the DEO. That makes a lot of sense to me because it means the villains are bigger and more alien.

With the emphasis of Supergirl working with the DEO, both Winn and James aren't needed at Catco.  Kara needs a friend she can talk to but there's no point in her having a Catco Team when she's fighting bad guys with Alex and Hank.  I thought there was Kara and James chemistry in the first couple of episodes but then the writing pulled back on it so that they barely interact any more.  I can see where they could make a Kara/Winn ship in the Carter/Abby (ER) style further down the line but Kara juggling three love interests right now is ridiculous.

I see the appeal of Lucy but she's really pointless to the show itself other than to tie up James away from Kara. Alex/Kara has the Blechdel relationship down perfectly.   I've been calling for Laurel to do some lawyering on Arrow because it's needed but there's no real need for a lawyer on Supergirl. What's she going to do, prosecute aliens?  Bog all Cat's enemies down in paperwork?

Max Lord is a creep but I could really ship Alex/Hank.

Barry, Barry, Barry (cue Brady Bunch voice)  I thought the show was really good when it started but everything seems to have devolved into :

1. Barry is the bestest evah.  He's way better than Oliver who actually fights his own demons. He deserves his own Flash Day, and his own coffee drink and action figures.

2. Barry and his many dads.  These are the most important relationships on the show. Girls are whiny and have cooties.

3. The only characters who get any development on the show are Barry, Joe, Cisco and Wells (in whatever form).  They have completely ruined Joe and Cisco for me (when I see Cisco, all I want to do is yell STFU at him and his stupid entitlement).  And that's a shame because I used to like the character.  They've also ruined Joe with the lying and being only concerned with his two sons and not his daughter or his ex-wife or his new/former partner.  That XX chromosome combination will really kill you.

I'm pretty much done with The Flash. Thanks, AK.

• Love 5

There is a very repetitive nature to this show.  Barry always loses his first encounter with a metahuman and then, as stated, he needs guidance from his ten thousand father figures and finds a way to win. 

Other repetitive elements...Barry exposing his secret identity to those he imprisons so he can spike the football in their faces.  Whenever Barry gets angry, he acts stupid and REFUSES to listen to good advice.  Oh and Barry cries.  A LOT.  Joe CRIES a lot too and they seem to pay John Wesley Shipp by the tear whenever he appears.

• Love 7

Barry's constant running to stop the VOTW without a plan every single time was annoyed me last season. And he's still doing it this season!!

Ohnoes we found a meta, Barry runs off to stop them, Barry loses, Barry goes back to the team and they make a plan to stop him, Barry runs again. It's like they based their writing off of the "See Spot run" books. 

• Love 8

There is a very repetitive nature to this show.  Barry always loses his first encounter with a metahuman and then, as stated, he needs guidance from his ten thousand father figures and finds a way to win. 

Other repetitive elements...Barry exposing his secret identity to those he imprisons so he can spike the football in their faces.  Whenever Barry gets angry, he acts stupid and REFUSES to listen to good advice.  Oh and Barry cries.  A LOT.  Joe CRIES a lot too and they seem to pay John Wesley Shipp by the tear whenever he appears.

My step kids love the show, but their dad and I do have a running bet on rather or not we can make it through an episode without anyone crying and then if one of those people will be Joe or Barry or both!

Even though I saw Flash is more fun than Arrow - I admit that if you made a drinking game out of characters crying on that show - your family would end up hosting an intervention before the end of the season.

• Love 2

Ooh good idea. I'm guessing Joe because there is the whole cop in one world, criminal in another. Plus as emotionally charged as it being BA real dad, then they would have to bring back the actor. Which I guess they could. That would be interesting because he once was the Tv Flash, so I guess if we see the actor coming back to guest we'll get our answer.

Barry's constant running to stop the VOTW without a plan every single time was annoyed me last season. And he's still doing it this season!!

Ohnoes we found a meta, Barry runs off to stop them, Barry loses, Barry goes back to the team and they make a plan to stop him, Barry runs again. It's like they based their writing off of the "See Spot run" books.

I always feel like im watching a superhero version of Forrest Gump. RUN BARRY RUN!!

the plot is definitely stolen from some elementary level books with pictures.

• Love 1

I haven't seen the episode, but the TVLine recap said Earth-1 Jay is named Hunter Zolomon,

who is Zoom in the comics. So either that's a red herring, or they are deliberately telling us who Zoom is.

Edited by Starfish35

To be fair on Glee Melissa and Blake's chemistry sucked. Actually Blake had better chemistry with Melissa's love interest on Glee than she did. But they were both weighed down by the worst writing ever. On Supergirl they were great together.

The writing was really awful for them & all of the new cast. I was actually surprised when I heard they were together in real life because it never translated on-screen. It also didn't help that they were trying to recreate lighting in a bottle that was the first cast of Glee and all of its couplings.

The writing was really awful for them & all of the new cast. I was actually surprised when I heard they were together in real life because it never translated on-screen. It also didn't help that they were trying to recreate lighting in a bottle that was the first cast of Glee and all of its couplings.

Which shows how bad the writing was considering the new cast are pretty much all better actors than the originals.

I haven't seen the episode, but the TVLine recap said Earth-1 Jay is named Hunter Zolomon,

who is Zoom in the comics. So either that's a red herring, or they are deliberately telling us who Zoom is.

That makes me think Earth 2 Barry is Zoom. Hunter Zolomon got that name because he was adopted in Earth 1. If Earth 2 Barry still loses his parents, maybe he is the one adopted by the Zolomons

I liked Patty, sorry she has left, CP was great as Iris this week, it's shame they waste her talents.

• Love 1

I'm inclined to think that

Hunter Zolomon is actually Zoom. It's been an assumption on our parts that Zoom is from Earth-2, but that could have been the misdirect all along, and Zoom is actually from Earth-1. And it would explain Jay. I've wondered for a while what the point of Jay is this season, other than giving Caitlin an unneeded love interest.

And as AyChihuahua says, these writers are not all that subtle. Most of the time they will go with the obvious, and right now

Hunter Zolomon = Zoom

is the obvious answer.

Do we need to keep using spoilers for speculation? I used them in my first post because of comics spoilers. But I guess my theory is based on comic spoilers.....

Edited by Starfish35

I'm inclined to think that

Hunter Zolomon is actually Zoom. It's been an assumption on our parts that Zoom is from Earth-2, but that could have been the misdirect all along, and Zoom is actually from Earth-1. And it would explain Jay. I've wondered for a while what the point of Jay is this season, other than giving Caitlin an unneeded love interest.

And as AyChihuahua says, these writers are not all that subtle. Most of the time they will go with the obvious, and right now

Hunter Zolomon = Zoom

is the obvious answer.

Do we need to keep using spoilers for speculation? I used them in my first post because of comics spoilers. But I guess my theory is based on comic spoilers.....

Crazy theory:

I was thinking maybe Hunter Zolomon isn't Zoom YET in the regular timeline -- but to save Jay, the STAR Labs folk give Zolomon the speed force somehow, so he can have the proper DNA to fix Jay, and in the process they inadvertently create Zoom. And it fucks him up, and he becomes out of time/out of dimension, which would explain why he's already caused so much damage. And he's stealing the other speedsters' speed force because he thinks that's what will fix him.

...But maybe that's too complicated? The time travel shenanigans are the only part of this show I still truly love, I neeeeeds more of it. *g*

• Love 6

Arrow bits from new CL interview...

Legends of Tomorrow: Caity Lotz Interview
Fred Topel  1/28/2016 at 7:59AM
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/caity-lotz/252129/legends-of-tomorrow-caity-lotz-interview

Were you hoping for more of that [bloodlust] on Arrow? Are you excited to delve further into it?
On Arrow it was hard because they were like, “We’re going to chain you in this basement and you’re like a feral animal and then you’re going to run around killing people.” It was nice to be able to speak again and not just be a crazy killer.
Was there one thing you discovered in the comic books that really helped you with Sara?
No. There was no Sara Lance in the comics. I read Black Canary comics and stuff but Sara really has her own backstory and where she came from.

Is there a formula to the fights where there are points you have to turn it over to an acrobatic stunt double?
No. I usually do all my own fights. On Arrow I used a double for motorcycle riding, jumping off backs of cars or having a bunch of stuff fall on top of you, jumping through glass.
Things that are really dangerous, they won’t even let me do even if I wanted to. But the fighting stuff I like to do.

On Arrow, when we saw your shriveled corpse, was that based on a cast they took of you?
That actually is a body double, a very, very, very skinny woman and they superimposed my face.

When you emerge from the pit, was that a challenging scene to do?
It was fine. I was soaking wet in this Lazarus Pit hot tub. The water was warm so it wasn’t too bad, but then you’re dripping wet in your leather super suit having to go crazy. It was fun.

• Love 1

OMG, who is this guy that interviewed her?! Two of those questions were just a waste. The comic one is useless, and the corpse one is just ugh. Her response to the first question made me laugh, though. Hopefully they let her character find some kind of happiness on this show.

The CW execs must be loving this article (btw, the writer forgot about AoS; also, I don't agree that The Flash is TV's best superhero show)...

10 Years After Its Creation, the CW Is the Best Network for Risky, Exciting Programming
By Kevin O'Keeffe January 26, 2016
http://mic.com/articles/133360/10-years-after-its-creation-the-cw-is-the-best-network-for-risky-exciting-programming#.BOAZUV0J2

The superhero series
Should the supernatural and genre shows ever go out of fashion, the CW is lucky enough to have a backup stable of shows in the form of Arrow, The Flash and DC's Legends of Tomorrow. While Netflix has the Marvel roster (Daredevil, Jessica Jones) and other networks have a rare one-off comic book show (ABC's Agent Carter, CBS' Supergirl), the CW owns DC's television stable. DC's Legends of Tomorrow is the new kid on the block, serving as something of an Avengers-lite, while Arrow is one of the network's longest-running series.

Most interesting, however, is The Flash, which worked with Jane the Virgin last year to rehabilitate the CW's reputation. The Flash is perhaps TV's best superhero show, and easily its most exuberant.

That, above all else, is what characterizes the CW's current brand: exciting. The old hits aren't staid or quiet, but fast-paced and fun. The new shows experiment and play with form. This is a network that has finally figured out what it wants to be, and viewers are all the better for it.

Edited by tv echo