Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I still find it sad that the Flash has to promote/brag when they give their female characters a storyline. It's like a LOOK at us, see we treat her female characters like the male characters. And I'm still wary that that plot will actually be about Iris and not about Barry's feelings on losing his powers to his wife. I'm sure Iris/Candice will have fun with it, but in the end it will probably be her giving Barry a pep talk about how important and special he is. 

When Legends showcases their female characters and WOC characters every week and give them a centric episode with Zari last week and Captain Jiwe this week. That's just how Legends operates. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Oh holy hell. Now I need brain bleach. You see, CW? This is what happens when you give your female characters the same hairstyle. 

not even just the hair style, the two actresses look like they could be sisters in real life

• Love 2

Everything We Know About Every Earth in the Arrowverse
By Corey Plante on February 26, 2018
https://www.inverse.com/article/41670-the-flash-multiverse-earth-2-arrowverse-arrow-supergirl-legends

Dimension overload: why TV can't get enough of parallel universes
Graeme Virtue   27 Feb 2018
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2018/feb/27/dimension-overload-why-tv-cant-get-enough-of-parallel-universes

Rick and Morty – the cult animated show that, for reasons admirable and deplorable, seems emblematic of our current psychological turbulence, has bounced through enough parallel dimensions to convene a massed council of Ricks recruited from various timelines. The overlapping sprawl of Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl – most of which resume their superhero adventures this week after mid-season breaks – is similarly crowded with alternate worlds, although conscientious do-gooders have at least come up with a decent filing system (indexing them Earth-1, Earth-2, Earth-3 and so on).
Creating alternate worlds allows writers to explore roads not travelled and challenges them to put their own spin on the nature/nurture debate: what cocktail of experience and circumstance made this character who they are? What would it take to make them break bad or good? For actors, usually required to play at least one remixed version of a familiar role, it is a chance to demonstrate their range, slip off the straitjacket of typecasting and show that they have some of that Orphan Black magic. (For producers with an eye on the budget, the thought of getting multiple screen performances from the same actor must be appealing.)

However these stories are framed, they seem to tap into a human desire to imagine alternate versions of the world and ourselves in it. It is as if experiencing enough iterations might help unlock a recipe for perfection, or at least something better than the status quo. If that sounds a little too existential, there are the simpler pleasures of seeing relatable characters who are routinely pushed around reimagined as confident badasses. Take the mild-mannered Howard’s lethal other in Counterpart, for example, or sweet, guileless Federation engineer Tilly successfully passing as a murderous despot in Star Trek: Discovery.

Edited by tv echo
6 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

Because it's an ensemble show. It operates differently.

Is Black Lightning an ensemble show? They treat their female characters with respect and make them important to the story. Just because it's an ensemble show doesn't automatically mean everyone will treated equally. It's the writers that have to write everyone equally. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 7

Just finished the episode and I really cant see the attraction between Ava and Sara...They just don't have any chemistry there and they look bored together. Sara has the  best chemistry with Nyssa but her and Alex came pretty close too.

Loved seeing Wally and Rip doing drunk Karaoke and spending time together.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Sakura12 said:

Is Black Lightning an ensemble show? They treat their female characters with respect and make them important to the story. 

Is teasing Iris's storyline something Flash is doing because she's a woman and they're patting themselves on the back for featuring her, or because she's someone who isn't the titular character? Didn't they do the same thing with Ralph Dibney? Doesn't Arrow do the same thing when anyone who isn't Oliver is in the spotlight? 

You're conflating respect for the characters (which...I think plenty of people would argue is lacking for women on some Arrowverse shows) with how the show is advertised. 

• Love 3

They did the same thing when they did their #feminism episode where Iris was featured. They talked about how great it was that Iris was leading. To me it seems like the Flash keeps trying to show that they treat their women the same as the men but don't actually do anything like that in the episode. But that's just my opinion.  Ralph has how many episodes devoted to his hero journey, while Iris will get one then go back to being hero support. 

On Arrow whatever storyline they are promoting continues, it's not a one and done thing like I'm thinking Iris' will be. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

They did the same thing when they did their #feminism episode where Iris was featured. They talked about how great it was that Iris was leading. To me it seems like the Flash keeps trying to show that they treat their women the same as the men but don't actually do anything like that in the episode. But that's just my opinion.  Ralph has how many episodes devoted to his hero journey, while Iris will get one then go back to being hero support. 

On Arrow whatever storyline they are promoting continues, it's not a one and done thing like I'm thinking Iris' will be. 

Has there been anything promoting this storyline apart from the picture the Flash account tweeted out? 

30 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Has there been anything promoting this storyline apart from the picture the Flash account tweeted out? 

every media outlet promoted that picture and the synopsis for the episode. I wouldn't be shocked if Candice does interviews the week of the episode as well. 

I was actually shocked with how much promotion a one off episode got from the media outlets.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

every media outlet promoted that picture and the synopsis for the episode. I wouldn't be shocked if Candice does interviews the week of the episode as well. 

Yeah, I saw that - just nothing that seemed as if it was an actual network promo. It was all pretty much what I would've expected to see if a character who'd never suited up before was suddenly suiting up. 

11 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Why is BR's hair so big and voluminous????

OMG!!!!!! Wally and Rip singing Careless Whisper is EVERYTHING!!!!!! I want the entire song!!!!!!!

Oh noes Ray!!!!!! He really is too good for this (that?) world!

@Miss Dee did you like your Ray/Mick scene this week AND the laundry one last week? I thought them doing laundry together was the cutest thing!

I did indeed, @Mellowyellow. I did indeed. The rare times they interact are played for laughs (like the very funny scene in the laundry), so it was really nice to get a scene like last night's.

Besides, Mick offered to share his beer with Ray. A gesture like that, he might as well have written "Will you go to the prom with me?" on the side. ?

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

Yikes for LoT and a shame for iZombie :(

Legends is actually up 114,000 viewers from last week.  But I did hope it would pick up more with the Olympics over with. 

That's about what iZombie got last season, although it aired late spring/early summer.  But it was under a million viewers all season long.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Legends is actually up 114,000 viewers from last week.  But I did hope it would pick up more with the Olympics over with. 

I mean being up after the Olympics makes sense... Pretty sure all of us were expecting it. The yikes is just for the demo not picking back up after the Olympics nothing else, really.

From RJK at Spotted Ratings, the unrounded preliminary numbers for last night:

Legends of Tomorrow ...... 0.421 ... (0.440 ... 0.402)
IZombie ............................ 0.327 ... (0.361 ... 0.294)

And the unrounded final number for last week's Legends was 0.417, down from 0.477 for the midseason premiere.

Edited by Starfish35
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

From RJK at Spotted Ratings, the unrounded preliminary numbers for last night:

And the unrounded final number for last week's Legends was 0.417, down from 0.477 for the midseason premiere.

That's a relatively significant half hour drop for iZombie. 

Legends was fun (though yeah, Sara and Ava do not make a lick of sense for each other) and it was nice to see Wallace West get some attention, but the biggest thing they sold me on how much I miss Rip Hunter.  :(  

After Ray gave Nora the cure, I really thought for a moment they were going to kill Ray.  I'm still not done worrying about him.  

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

So cute! What does the normal non Flash Iris Funko look like? 

There isn't an official Iris Funko Pop yet, but I'm guessing she'll be part of the next Arrowverse wave. Funko put up a poll a couple months ago asking people to vote for which characters should get a Pop and she was an option.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

You reckon they'll get rid of BR.

I adore BR! I wouldn't watch it without him no matter how fun the plot is. 

I worry at times with how they IMO underuse him.  He doesn't get much serious stuff.  Is it meaty enough to keep him interested?  Plus he's fairly well known.  Less successful actors have left for fewer reasons.

• Love 1

They are totally going to win this year aren't they? Isn't the KCA rigged like the TCA? It was a really fun awards show back in 90s/00s. 

9 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

And we wonder why they don't get more grown up kisses still on The Flash.  

lol I don't think that is necessarily the reason. I mean SMG won a KCA back when Buffy was having graphic sex with Spike.

• Love 1
On 27/02/2018 at 12:32 PM, WindofChange said:

This is creepy... Sara what is wrong with you?

DXAcP3uV4AAuMR9.jpg

The Arrowverse has finally delivered something more creepier then Iris and Barry's 'we are kind of brother and sister' and Arrows sister/brother swapping or Oliver and his father sleeping with the same woman. 

Edited by Mary0360
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, lemotomato said:

How is SMG winning in a completely different, individual category 16 years ago a relevant comparison to Flash getting nominated as a show?

I said she won a KCA while being on a very adult show. You said she never won...a KCA is a KCA award. Obviously the Flash wouldn't have to tone down their romantics in that aspect. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

The Arrowverse has finally delivered something more creepier then Iris and Barry's 'we are kind of brother and sister' and Arrows sister/brother swapping or Oliver and his father sleeping with the same woman. 

Ohhhh, I don't know that I'd go that far.

Especially in regards to the last one.

• Love 4

Its hard to be creepier than Oliver and his dad both sleeping with the same woman. I mean, I dont blame Oliver, as he had no clue she was his dads former mistress, but still. Gross. 

Why is the Arrowverse so obsessed with that side hairstyle anyway? Maybe my hair just isn't made for that style, but I've tried it, and its super hard to keep in place. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Ohhhh, I don't know that I'd go that far.

Especially in regards to the last one.

I don't know, dating and potentially down the line sleeping with a woman who looks and has the same mannerisms as your dead sister seems way more gross to me then finding out after a one off hook up with a girl that that same girl was having an affair with your father. 

Either way, there's a lot of ew factor to go around in the Arrowverse. 

• Love 3

Around to the the very first Arrow/Flash Crossover in my rewatch! I totally forgot that secret identities were still a thing back then! Team Flash has no knowledge thus far that Oliver is the Arrow. So refreshing. Barry has his "red kryptonite" moment here, standard episode where the good guy/girl goes bad. 

I wonder if Iris still runs her Flash blog....probably not since no bad guys target her for it anymore. Shame.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

I don't know, dating and potentially down the line sleeping with a woman who looks and has the same mannerisms as your dead sister seems way more gross to me then finding out after a one off hook up with a girl that that same girl was having an affair with your father. 

Either way, there's a lot of ew factor to go around in the Arrowverse. 

No one really saw it until she had her hair swept to the side so it cant be that bad. Especially when its up in a bun most of the time. But hey people date other people who look like they could be related all the time, its such a common thing lol.

18 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

I'm not going to say that I didn't find the resemblance in those side-by-side pics uncomfortable (side-eyes @WindofChange again-lol), but when I'm watching the show, I don't look at Jes Macallen and think "she reminds me of Katie Cassidy".  The acting, the voice, the mannerisms are very different IMO. I didn't notice any resemblance until she put her hair down.  

AvaLance isn't my favorite thing, but a superficial resemblance is the least of my issues with it.  And personally it's way less disturbing than a son and father sleeping with the same woman.  But mileage varies of course.

1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

I said she won a KCA while being on a very adult show. You said she never won...a KCA is a KCA award. Obviously the Flash wouldn't have to tone down their romantics in that aspect. 

I specifically said that SMG and Buffy didn't win fav TV Actor and fav TV show, the two categories that Grant and Flash are nominated in:

2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

Neither SMG (fav TV actor) nor BtVS (fav TV show) won a Kids' Choice Award. And Flash is nominated in the sub category of Favorite TV show -- Family Show

Not to mention how 16-20 years ago there was a completely different standard of what shows could be nominated for "Kids' Choice", which included Friends, Seinfeld, and Married with Children. Here are the shows Flash is competing with this year:

Fuller House
Henry Danger
K.C. Undercover
Saban’s Power Rangers Ninja Steel
Stranger Things
The Big Bang Theory
The Thundermans

2 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I specifically said that SMG and Buffy didn't win fav TV Actor and fav TV show, the two categories that Grant and Flash are nominated in:

Not to mention how 16-20 years ago there was a completely different standard of what shows could be nominated for "Kids' Choice", which included Friends, Seinfeld, and Married with Children. Here are the shows Flash is competing with this year:

Fuller House
Henry Danger
K.C. Undercover
Saban’s Power Rangers Ninja Steel
Stranger Things
The Big Bang Theory
The Thundermans

Then I interpreted that wrong. But even taking Buffy out of the running due to age. They had Once Upon A Time, Agents of Sheild and Gotham nominated in the past few years. Not that much has clearly changed.