Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

David Harewood, when he walks into his trailer and sees the mask: "I just know it's going to be a really boring day."

In otherwords...Dear TPTB: More masks are not/ever the answer.

• Love 7
(edited)

Yesterday Warner Bros. TV released their SDCC 2017 presentation schedule...

SATURDAY, JULY 22
.  .  .
3:30–4:10 p.m. Supergirl Special Video Presentation and Q&A — Ridding National City of Queen Rhea and her Daxamite army was a major win for Supergirl, but one that came at a significant cost, as Kara was forced to sacrifice her budding relationship with Mon-El. When season three returns with all-new supercharged adventures this fall on The CW, Kara and team will come up against a new threat in the form of DC Worldkiller, Reign. Want to know more about Reign and what she has in store for the Girl of Steel? Join the series’ cast and creative team for a special video presentation, followed by a Q&A where they’ll discuss this hot topic and more! From Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, Supergirl’s third season will debut Monday, October 9, at 8/7c on The CW. Supergirl: The Complete Second Season is available now on Digital and will be released on Blu-ray™ and DVD on August 22. Follow the show on Twitter at @TheCWSupergirl.  Ballroom 20

4:10–4:50 p.m. DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Special Video Presentation and Q&A — After crash landing the Waverider in a version of 2017 Los Angeles where dinosaurs roam the streets and the skyline is adorned with London’s iconic Big Ben clock tower, the Legends were quick to realize that “we broke time.” Last year, the loveable band of misfit heroes traveled throughout the timeline fixing a series of Aberrations. This year, they’ll be turning the crazy up to 11, as a wave of Anachronisms turns History on its head, leaving the Legends responsible for piecing it back together. What is an Anachronism you ask? For the answer to that, and many other questions, join cast members Victor Garber, Brandon Routh, Dominic Purcell, Caity Lotz, Franz Drameh, Nick Zano, Maisie Richardson-Sellers and producers at their annual Comic-Con panel. From Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow’s season premiere airs Tuesday, October 10, at 9/8c on The CW. DC’s Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season is available now on Digital and will be released on Blu-ray™ and DVD on August 15. Follow the show on Twitter at @TheCW_Legends.  Ballroom 20

4:50–5:10 p.m. Black Lightning Special Video Presentation and Q&ABlack Lightning makes its Comic-Con debut! Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) is a man wrestling with a secret. As the father of two daughters and principal of a charter high school that also serves as a safe haven for young people in a neighborhood overrun by gang violence, he is a hero to his community. Nine years ago, Pierce was a hero of a different sort. Gifted with the superhuman power to harness and control electricity, he used those powers to keep his hometown streets safe as the masked vigilante Black Lightning. However, after too many nights with his life on the line, and seeing the effects of the damage and loss that his alter ego was inflicting on his family, he left his Super Hero days behind and settled into being a principal and a dad. Choosing to help his city without using his superpowers, he watched his daughters Anissa (Nafessa Williams) and Jennifer (China Anne McClain) grow into strong young women, even though his marriage to their mother, Lynn (Christine Adams), suffered. Almost a decade later, Pierce’s crime-fighting days are long behind him…or so he thought. But with crime and corruption spreading like wildfire, and those he cares about in the crosshairs of the menacing local gang The One Hundred, Black Lightning returns — to save not only his family, but also the soul of his community. Join series stars Cress Williams (Hart of Dixie, Friday Night Lights), Nafessa Williams (Twin Peaks), China Anne McClain (House of Payne) and Christine Adams (Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), along with executive producers Salim Akil & Mara Brock Akil (Being Mary Jane, The Game, Jumping the Broom, Girlfriends) for an exclusive sneak peek at the upcoming series along with an electrifying Q&A session. Based on the characters from DC, Black Lightning is from Berlanti Productions and Akil Productions, in association with Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti (Arrow, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl), Salim & Mara Brock Akil, and Sarah Schechter (Arrow, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl). Black Lightning premieres midseason on The CW. Follow the show on Twitter @BlackLightning.  Ballroom 20

5:10–5:50 p.m. The Flash Special Video Presentation and Q&A — Running up against an evil time remnant version of yourself is something no one should ever have to do, but that’s exactly what faced Barry Allen (aka The Flash) as he fought to save the life of fiancée Iris West from the God of Speed known as Savitar. Barry’s victory was short-lived, however, as an unbalanced Speed Force began to wreak havoc on Central City, forcing Barry to sacrifice himself for the greater good. With The Fastest Man Alive now trapped inside an extra-dimensional energy, and unknown dangers lurking in the shadows, it will be up to Team Flash to free Barry from his own personal Hell. Join cast members Grant Gustin, Jesse L. Martin, Tom Cavanagh, Candice Patton, Danielle Panabaker, Carlos Valdes, Keiynan Lonsdale and producers of The CW’s highest-rated series at their annual Comic-Con panel, and be among the first to find out where things will pick up when season four returns this fall. From Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, The Flash season four premiere airs Tuesday, October 10, at 8/7c on The CW. The Flash: The Complete Third Season is available now on Digital and will be released on Blu-ray™ and DVD on September 5. Follow the show on Twitter at @CW_TheFlash.  Ballroom 20

5:50–6:30 p.m. Arrow Special Video Presentation and Q&A — With the future of the team left hanging in the balance, Arrow gave new definition to the phrase “blowing up the show.” The emotional showdown between Oliver Queen and Adrian Chase was the perfect conclusion to a stellar fifth season of The CW’s gritty DC Super Hero series. Now, the focus shifts to uncovering the fate of each and every member of Team Arrow. Could anyone have possibly survived an island-wide explosion, or has the book closed on them, as it has on Oliver’s five-year flashback story? Returning to San Diego Comic-Con for a sixth consecutive year, cast members Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, Willa Holland, Emily Bett Rickards, Paul Blackthorne, Katie Cassidy, Echo Kellum, Juliana Harkavy, Rick Gonzalez and producers will be on-hand for an eye-opening conversation about the upcoming season. From Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, Arrow’s season six premiere moves to its new night on  Thursday, October 12, at 9/8c on The CW. Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season is available now on Digital and will be released on Blu-ray™ and DVD on September 19. Follow the show on Twitter at @CW_Arrow.  Ballroom 20

(source)

And here's Warner Bros. TV's video announcement about their SDCC schedule (the Arrow one is kinda lame) - cute or cringeworthy?...

Comic-Con Unleashed! WBTVG Announces Comic-Con 2017 Schedule
Published on Jun 29, 2017, by Warner Bros. TV 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I wonder how they are going to handle 11 people. If they all go to interviews as a group or because of the amout of people they pair off or some just appear for the panel.

I know it's not that much more but it seems like a lot.

• Love 1

I just assume it will be like last year. Group interviews with a few outlets, individual soundbites at round tables and an SA/EBR or an SA/EBR/DR interview or two. The interview in which EBR made SA sing a Christina Aguilera song because he was driving her nuts with repeating the same sound bite was last year, wasn't it?

• Love 2

That was IGN. I'm curious about who is going to give that interview this year. I would OTA again.

4 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I just assume it will be like last year. Group interviews with a few outlets, individual soundbites at round tables and an SA/EBR or an SA/EBR/DR interview or two. The interview in which EBR made SA sing a Christina Aguilera song because he was driving her nuts with repeating the same sound bite was last year, wasn't it?

They had one year where they paired them up for the tables (EBR was with CH). I was really thinking about that, if they would group up the newbies or something.

This is interesting - I've never read the comics, so I never heard of most of these other superheroes mentioned...

5 Other Superheroes We Want to See Stephen Amell As 
Wake  June 29, 2017
https://www.tvovermind.com/entertainment-news/5-superheroes-want-see-stephen-amell

Stephen Amell has made quite the name for himself as the green-garbed archer known as Green Arrow. There’s no doubt a lot of other DC roles he’d be qualified for, but why not make things interesting and have him jump across the pond to the MCU for a while? While I understand that some characters are not technically able to be used by the MCU, most Marvel fans would still be stoked to see a guy as popular as Amell take on a different role that could fit with what he’s already done.

The Sentry
Fandral
Johnny Storm/The Human Torch
Johnny Blaze – Ghost Rider
Alex Summers/Havok

8 hours ago, wonderwall said:

So David Harewood really destroyed the Supergirl Writing staff for not fleshing out his character etc. He went ALL IN. I love when actors spill tea. I want to see more actors candid like this (although I know and understand why they aren't). Supergirl really does treat its PoC terribly... It starts at the 4 minute mark.

Oh wow. David Harewood is a RADA trained actor so I'm really not surprised he feels this way and expresses as much. Typical of these group of writers to have such talent on their show and waste it. IDIOTS!

48 minutes ago, tv echo said:

This is interesting - I've never read the comics, so I never heard of most of these other superheroes mentioned...

Wake  June 29, 2017
https://www.tvovermind.com/entertainment-news/5-superheroes-want-see-stephen-amell

The Sentry
Fandral
Alex Summers/Havok

Did they miss the bit where Fandral and Ghost Rider have already appeared in the MCU?  Johnny Storm/The Human Torch would also be out for rights reasons (Fantastic Four isn't part of the MCU) and presumably Alex Summers/Havok for similar reasons (X-Men.)

Making this a "List of one obscure character that Stephen Amell could play, plus a few others that we know so little about we missed that they've already been in the MCU and/or aren't available for the MCU".

• Love 2

Okay, that promo was kind of weird.  Puppies?  That's not what I imagine when I think of those shows.  After a while though, I got used to it and could appreciate the humour, like the two puppies play fighting beside the model car for Supernatural, the two outfits for Supergirl, and the puppy being shown going faster and faster for Flash.   I even though the one for Arrow was a clever in-joke, this puppy that is going to grow into a BIG dog lumbering around bumping into things.

2 hours ago, Angel12d said:

Oh wow. David Harewood is a RADA trained actor so I'm really not surprised he feels this way and expresses as much. Typical of these group of writers to have such talent on their show and waste it. IDIOTS!

Yeah.  Interesting how much he likes playing off of Chyler, it's like he mentioned her a dozen times.  He was really good with that little girl who was asking (reading) the questions.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/30/2017 at 8:07 AM, tv echo said:

Wake  June 29, 2017

The Sentry
Fandral
Alex Summers/Havok

I'm amused that they included Fandral seeing as Josh Dallas played Fandral in one of the Thor movies & also played EBR's husband in that short film Sidekick. I'd also like to see Josh Dallas pop up on an episode of Arrow now that he's done with OUAT.

Edited by BaggythePanther
  • Love 1

Way to be a total *sshole Melissa. I really don't like the filming schedule excuse. HVFF happens on weekends so there shouldn't be an issue. And I get that Nashville is about 7-8 hours away by flight and one wouldn't want to travel that far after filming but that's barely an excuse. If you make a commitment you keep it. Heck, I once flew from London to Singapore last minute for just 28 hours before I flew back. So I really have no sympathy or understanding here for her.

That part in the article when Emily Ratajkowski saying a lot of it comes from other woman.

CL just went and proved her point. 

Thats very disappointing.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Chaser said:

That part in the article when Emily Ratajkowski saying a lot of it comes from other woman.

Basically... I feel like she's ok with shaming her because she doesn't experience the same things she does. So in a way that's really ignorant of her. 

What's ironic is that a few hours ago she posted this on Instagram:

DD2qet9XUAE-CK3.jpg

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chaser said:

Yup, just what I thought. 

But she adds that it’s not just men limiting women — it’s often women attacking other women.

“Often it’s men propelling these acts of sexism, but women discount one another too: Think about how many times you’ve heard a woman say about another woman, ‘Oh, she’s just doing that for attention.’ We’ve internalized this trope,” Ratajkowski said.

I'm not Ratajkowski's fan, but I'm completely with her here.

• Love 2
(edited)

This headline only refers to domestic gross, not worldwide gross (although that's probably only a matter of time)...

Wonder Woman becomes highest-grossing DCEU movie
NICK ROMANO JULY 1, 2017 
http://ew.com/movies/2017/07/01/wonder-woman-highest-grossing-dceu-movie-us/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

For the uninitiated, the DCEU refers to Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, and the other films set within this same world. Wonder Woman now has the most box office dough of them all as far as domestic audiences go. Warner Bros. earned $2.685 million from Thursday screenings, bringing its cumulative domestic total at the time to $330.533 million, putting it barely past previous top earner Batman v Superman. Now, with an additional $4.35 million from Friday screenings, Wonder Woman‘s total sits at $334.9 million.

Batman v Superman, in which the character of Diana Prince first debuted, earned $330.36 million domestically throughout its theatrical run. Wonder Woman still has a little ways to go before besting that film’s worldwide total of $873.26 million, but it’s well on its way.

With $670.68 million worldwide, the movie already surpassed the international numbers for Man of Steel ($668.05 million) and the domestic total for Suicide Squad ($325.1 million).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Now let's see if it turns into more films about female superheroes and more opportunities for women directions.  (I'm not holding my breath.)

8 hours ago, bijoux said:

I'm not Ratajkowski's fan, but I'm completely with her here.

I absolutely think CL should have stayed out of it.  (Although it does make me wonder if she knows Ratajkowski personally.)

But Emily Ratajkowski doesn't get my support either.  Going by that picture, she's an 'A cup, a B; cup at most.  That's not in the category of "People who meet me can't see beyond the size of my breasts" much less needing breast reduction surgery because of back pain.  Basically, she looks normal and even if it is true that she's lost acting jobs because her breasts are too big,that's not something she should be saying in the press. It just smacks of "look at my breasts", which we all did if you clicked on the article if only the check the validity of her claim.

She got her start as a toplesss model in the Blurred Lines video and she posts topless selfies of herself.  You don't get to call the "Poor me, I lose out because I'm considered a sex object" after that.  She may have lost roles because her breasts are too big (which frankly I find very hard to believe), but she also got jobs because of them.

ETA:  This reminds me of a friend who is a sessional prof because tenure track positions are too few.  She teaches ten courses a year at three different universities, driving to different the campuses because that's how many she needs to teach for a decent living when you're paid by the course.  She was at a meeting where one of the tenured profs was complaining that now she had to teach 2 1/2 courses a year instead of just 2 for twice the money my friend gets for teaching 10.  Fortunately my friend waited until she was talking to me to explode. 

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 7

I don't know anything about Ratajkowski specifically, but I think the article brings up a good point.  People shouldn't be put into boxes or underestimated because of one thing they do.  What you look like shouldn't limit what you do.  

Just because someone is deemed sexy doesn't mean they can't be anything more than a sex object.
It's like saying a nerdy girl can't be good at sports/fighting because all she is is brains.  
Each person can be so much more complex than that.  

Just because she is rich/famous doesn't mean that she doesn't raise a good point or that her issues aren't real or important.  This reminds me of when Guggenheim said something about how there are so many bigger issues (ie. politics) than what's going on in Arrow and people should focus on those instead.  

There's always a bigger problem, but does that mean some issues should be ignored?  Should a professor/adjunct complain about the number of classes they have when another person can't get classes to teach and is unemployed?  Should we say, well you are lucky because you have a job, so you shouldn't complain when someone else doesn't have one?  All these issues have valid points.  One issue shouldn't be belittled because there are other problems too.  People can address all of them.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Way to be a total *sshole Melissa. I really don't like the filming schedule excuse. HVFF happens on weekends so there shouldn't be an issue. And I get that Nashville is about 7-8 hours away by flight and one wouldn't want to travel that far after filming but that's barely an excuse. If you make a commitment you keep it. Heck, I once flew from London to Singapore last minute for just 28 hours before I flew back. So I really have no sympathy or understanding here for her.

Presumably Melissa gets paid a lot of money to do what she does.  So when she gets told "show up at the set for filming," she shows up at the set for filming.  And the nerds will just have to suck it for now.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, johntfs said:

Presumably Melissa gets paid a lot of money to do what she does.  So when she gets told "show up at the set for filming," she shows up at the set for filming.  And the nerds will just have to suck it for now.

Like when she cancelled London for "filming" but instead went to the Wonder Woman LA Premiere?

If she canceled for filming it's perfectly acceptable. If she canceled because she just didn't feel like it or something better came up?  That's pretty shitty, IMO.

However, we really won't know if she canceled for filming or not, until this weekend and maybe not even then, depending on Paps to catch her activity.

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

She got her start as a toplesss model in the Blurred Lines video and she posts topless selfies of herself.  You don't get to call the "Poor me, I lose out because I'm considered a sex object" after that.  She may have lost roles because her breasts are too big (which frankly I find very hard to believe), but she also got jobs because of them.

So she doesn't get to complain about how other people sexualize her because she chose to be in a video that sexualized her in a way she was comfortable with? Cool, cool, cool. 

• Love 7
(edited)
37 minutes ago, johntfs said:

Well no. Shows never film on the weekends so there's no excuse. Especially considering Stephen can make it Melissa should've put her big girl pants on kept her commitment because that's her responsibility. 

Also @Morrigan2575 she canceled for work related reasons which everyone assumed was the WW premiere because that's what Candice canceled for but she wasn't even seen at the WW premiere. So she's just a flake. 

Edited by wonderwall
(edited)
1 hour ago, ComicFan777 said:

Just because someone is deemed sexy doesn't mean they can't be anything more than a sex object.
It's like saying a nerdy girl can't be good at sports/fighting because all she is is brains.  
Each person can be so much more complex than that. 

I agree with you.  People are more complex than can fit into boxes and what you look like shouldn't limit you.

But here, Ratajkowski is using her sexuality to get jobs, and then complaining she gets turned down because that's all they see in her.  (Which honestly I have a hard time believing because she's not Pamela Anderson buxom.  I'd like to know what job she was turned down for).  The nerdy girl metaphor doesn't quite fit because Ratajkowski used being sexy to get jobs and now is complaining that she can't get jobs because she's too sexy.  It's like the nerdy girl doing a Sheldon Cooper and showing everyone else how smart she is and that's why she got her job, then complaining that she doesn't get jobs because she's too smart.  If Ratajkowski were Helen Mirren levels of ability, would her breast size be a consideration?  I can't see anyone telling Adele "We're not going to book you because your breasts are too large."

This feels like a p.r. stunt on Ratajkowski's part to get noticed and while CL shouldn't have commented on social media, I agree with her feelings.

For those academics who have tenure, teaching 2 1/2 courses and then getting paid full salary whether you do any other work or not (research or supervising)  is a very cushy job.  A sessional has to work four times as hard for half the pay and zero job security.  Complaining about teaching an extra half course is major entitlement.

ETA:

So she doesn't get to complain about how other people sexualize her because she chose to be in a video that sexualized her in a way she was comfortable with? Cool, cool, cool. 

She can complain in private.  But she continues to choose to be sexualized (e.g. the topless selfies) so it's hypocritical to complain about it in public.

And I have a really hard time believing that she was turned down for a job because those breasts are too big rather than for another reason.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Also @Morrigan2575 she canceled for work related reasons which everyone assumed was the WW premiere because that's what Candice canceled for but she wasn't even seen at the WW premiere. So she's just a flake. 

Ah, so she just flaked and didn't have a conflict of any kind.  Not good, especially when she's cancelled 3 out of 4 con appearances. 

As much as people get upset with EBR not doing Cons. I think EBR and GG have it right, just don't sign up. At least this way you don't get yours fans hopes up (and have them spend money) only to crush them.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 11
22 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

She can complain in private.  But she continues to choose to be sexualized (e.g. the topless selfies) so it's hypocritical to complain about it in public.

And I have a really hard time believing that she was turned down for a job because those breasts are too big rather than for another reason.

This makes no sense to me. It's the same type of reasoning men use saying women dress in a sexy way because they want to be approached. A person can be comfortable with her body and at the same time be annoyed if people cross lines she isn't comfortable with. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Nope. She can share whatever she wants to of her body and her life and it shouldn't affect the kinds of jobs she's able to get. That people think it should is precisely why she should speak about it publicly. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Ah, so she just flaked and didn't have a conflict of any kind.  Not good, especially when she's cancelled 3 out of 4 con appearances. 

As much as people get upset with EBR not doing Cons. I think EBR and GG have it right, just don't sign up. At least this way you don't get yours fans hopes up (and have them spend money) only to crush them.

So do we know Melissas day2day schedule now? If she couldn't make it to even the WW premiere, then it is totally likely she had other conflicts come up then just staying home sitting on the couch. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

So do we know Melissas day2day schedule now? If she couldn't make it to even the WW premiere, then it is totally likely she had other conflicts come up then just staying home sitting on the couch. 

We don't know if she was supposed to be at the WW premiere..we thought that because Candice canceled the con for that (a month in advance). We only now Melissa and her boyfriend cancelled the con days before it started for unknown reasons.

It seems weird the others got invited so in advance Candice cancelled the con more than a month before it started while Melissa the days before. I'm more inclined to think she never planned to go to the premiere or she would have cancelled the con like Candice a month before. It wasn't an unexpected event.

• Love 1

I'm so glad I don't stan any of these actors, haha. Everyone's problematic at some point. 

2 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

After TexasGate I made it a point not to stan actors lol

Same. Not that I was ever a stan of SA but that whole thing made me look at things differently. I refuse to put someone on a pedestal just because I like them on TV and then defend them to the death, even if they're in the wrong. Uh, no. Embarrassing. 

7 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

That said, sitting at home on the couch is probably better than hanging around a bunch of sweaty nerds.  Still, the fact that she cancelled days before the event likely indicates that something real came up.  It's not like she was sitting around and suddenly realized "OMG!  Going to this con means I'll be stuck around a bunch of gross, sweaty nerds!  Best cancel on that shit."

They may not film TV shows on weekends, but what about movies?  Melissa is apparently filming Waco according to IMDB.

• Love 1