Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Doesnt Captain Cold has an important role in Flashpoint. 

I don't know about the comic.  In the movie "Citizen Cold" is Central City's hero, not the Flash.  But it's just something Barry sees on the news to emphasize the point of how everything's different.  It doesn't play a big role in the story.  

However, if Cold plays a big part in this version of Flashpoint, that might be one reason for the odd contract.

There's something going on BTS at The Flash; keeping back info (especially when all the other shows have made announcements) is the opposite of creating buzz. My guess is that we won't be seeing any new characters for the first couple of episodes, just the same cast (regular/recurring) playing different versions of themselves. Perhaps indicating that the Flashpoint arc will last a while.

Or maybe the EPs are trying to get their act together after the sophomore slump of last season.

• Love 1

Maybe they're hiding it because they don't want to reveal how long/short the FP story actually is. In which case, what the hell are they going to say at SDCC in their 45-minute panel?

I assume by then they're probably going to have to tell us how long this story is going on for, otherwise they won't be able to say anything about the villain/arc of the season at all.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dtissagirl said:

It's more likely that they're casting normally, and just not announcing anyone. And it feels weird because the m.o. for Berlanti Prod is to turn every single casting into news.

It is weird. But even if they don't make an announcement of casting, doesn't some of that leak out anyway?

21 minutes ago, Trini said:

It is weird. But even if they don't make an announcement of casting, doesn't some of that leak out anyway?

Usually, yes - actors and their managers like to announce YAY I'M EMPLOYED SOMEONE WANTS ME, especially when it's just a small role which will force them to look for another job a few weeks afterwards.

All of the Berlanti prod shows only list casting sides privately* -- meaning agents need to have a passcode to access them, so that helps them keep a lid on things they don't want divulged AND control when/how to send casting descriptions to the press for free media. It means David Rapaport is also more into sending casting notices directly to agencies he favors, rather than opening it up to all agencies.

*Many shows post sides publically -- meaning they're available to anyone willing to pay the fees to access them.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was actually looking up last year's casting announcements earlier (to get an idea of when to expect any potentially big announcements for Arrow.) For Flash, news of the audition videos for Patty Spivot and Jay Garrick were leaked on June 17th, and I think the actors were announced at SDCC in July

Edited by lemotomato
(edited)

I think this is the best place to put this:

I am rewatching Mr. Robot in preparation for season 2, and realized that both the guy playing Wild Dog next season and a woman who's going to be a baddie on LoT both come out of that show.  The actor playing Wild Dog didn't make much of an impression, but Stephanie Corneliussum was spectacular as Joanna Wellick, ice cold and creepier than her creepy husband, which is saying something.  With her added to the cast and the Hawks gone, I'm definitely going to watch LoT next season. (edit: Whoops!  Never mind.  Apparently I was reading season one press releases.)

By the way, if you haven't watched Mr. Robot, stop what you are doing and go watch it now. I caught it last summer during its first run and found myself laughing out loud at its audacity and wit, but it has some powerful emotional moments, and its hard to pick the best baddie because they are all spectacular.  I'm doing a rewatch, and its holding up--I might even be enjoying it more because I am so impressed by their plotting now that I now where the story is going.  

Edited by thegirlsleuth
Because I hated the Hawks and missed key LoT plot points
(edited)
21 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I think this is the best place to put this:

I am rewatching Mr. Robot in preparation for season 2, and realized that both the guy playing Wild Dog next season and a woman who's going to be a baddie on LoT both come out of that show.  The actor playing Wild Dog didn't make much of an impression, but Stephanie Corneliussum was spectacular as Joanna Wellick, ice cold and creepier than her creepy husband, which is saying something.  With her added to the cast and the Hawks gone, I'm definitely going to watch LoT next season.  

Wait... when did they make this announcement? I must've missed it.

ETA: Nevermind just googled it and apparently the casting was done in September of last year so no wonder I forgot about it :p

Also did the actor not make much of an impression because the acting sucked or because the role was minimal?

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1
Just now, wonderwall said:

Wait... when did they make this announcement? I must've missed it.

Also did the actor not make much of an impression because the acting sucked or because the role was minimal?

I can't tell you exactly when I saw the announcement about Stephanie Corneliussum, but I just double checked and she's listed as LoT cast on IMDB.  I hope I'm not mistaken.

To be fair, Rick Gonzalez, the actor playing Wild Dog, was at a disadvantage because all of his scenes were either with Rami Malek or Elliot Villar, someone I never heard of but who completely dominated as the drug dealer Fernando Vera. Fernando was my favorite villain in the show filled with excellent villains, charismatic and menacing (although Philip Price is a close second).  That said, Rick Gonzalez didn't play Fernando's brother with the desperation or smarts that I think someone in his situation might feel, and came off as Bad Guy #2 rather than a strong character.

Stephanie Corneliussen was in season one of LoT - did they announce that she was returning? She was the Russian scientist in episodes four and five, Valentina Vostok, who was trying to figure out how to reproduce Firestorm.  I agree that she was really good, but I hadn't heard that she was returning. 

9 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Stephanie Corneliussen was in season one of LoT - did they announce that she was returning? She was the Russian scientist in episodes four and five, Valentina Vostok, who was trying to figure out how to reproduce Firestorm.  I agree that she was really good, but I hadn't heard that she was returning. 

I didn't hear about her return and the last news I got for her was from last September so I don't think she's coming back as of now... But maybe later in the season? Lot got the full episode order right? 

6 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I just looked, and realized I must have been looking at season one news about Corneliussen being added to the cast--my mistake because I hated the Hawks so much that I didn't watch past the first episode of LoT.  Even if she's not in season 2 I still plan to watch LoT now that the Hawks are gone. They were terrible in every way.

I'll go back and edit.

I just read somewhere that LoT, The 100 and another show have their production ending in January, not April. 

If true, this indicates another short (16 episode) season instead of a full order.  It would appear the only reason LoT premiered in the Fall is so they could get their 4 show mega crossover event

29 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Yup, LOT is filming from July 18 to January 10. iZombie is the other show getting 16 eps.

Frequency seems to have a shorter season, filming July 25 - Dec 13. 13 episodes, probably.

All filming dates for Vancouver shows:
https://www.dgc.ca/assets/Uploads/BritishColumbia/AvailsProductionLists/Documents/Production-List.pdf

How does this work for first season shows that typically only get a 13 episode order to begin with, and then if they do well get a "back nine" pickup?   Do they assume a full 22 episode season to begin with even though they haven't officially gotten the back nine?  Or do they only schedule for the first thirteen and then later extend it?

10 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

How does this work for first season shows that typically only get a 13 episode order to begin with, and then if they do well get a "back nine" pickup?   Do they assume a full 22 episode season to begin with even though they haven't officially gotten the back nine?  Or do they only schedule for the first thirteen and then later extend it?

They usually extend production contracts if they get more episodes. It happened last season with iZombie. They originally got a 13 ep order, so production dates were initially set from July to December. Then CW ordered 5 extra episodes in October, and production got extended to mid-March.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think any of the new shows are planning to have a back 9. But shows that do will get the script order or a full pick up before their season finishes shooting so they have time to plan. 

Also, I think LOT, izombie and the 100 only have a 13 episode pick up?  Not the 16/18 they got last year. Arrow was filming episode 14 during the early part of January but they started filming the season a week earlier. I think Frequency only has 12 episodes (plus the pilot which I forgot about).  LOT may be given the chance to add more episodes depending on the ratings. Might that chance be a secondary reason to bring it to the fall?  I don't know how that works midseason shows.

Edited by tarotx
(edited)

They usually extend production contracts if they get more episodes. It happened last season with iZombie. They originally got a 13 ep order, so production dates were initially set from July to December. Then CW ordered 5 extra episodes in October, and production got extended to mid-March.

Thanks! So, theoretically, Frequency's production contract could be extended if they end up getting more episodes.  

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)
9 minutes ago, tarotx said:

I think Frequency only has 12 episodes.

By my count they can film exactly 12 episodes in the July 25 - Dec 13 period, but they already shot the pilot, so, 13.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 3

I'm curious about how they're going to shoot the crossovers, if LOT starts filming two weeks later. I think Supergirl starts later than Arrow and Flash, too. One would think they'd try and be as in sync as possible. I'm anticipating a mess, haha.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, looptab said:

I'm curious about how they're going to shoot the crossovers, if LOT starts filming two weeks later. I think Supergirl starts later than Arrow and Flash, too. One would think they'd try and be as in sync as possible. I'm anticipating a mess, haha.

Along with the separate premiere weeks for the shows, wouldn't it have the crossover be 207 for both LoT and Supergirl if they are all in one week? Meaning that once LoT and Supergirl are filming their seventh episodes, Flash and Arrow would be on their 8th/9th, putting the crossover eps closer together in production hypothetically. However, I believe that even Arrow and Flash aren't exactly on the same schedule with each other, since I think that 309 of Arrow/109 of Flash/ the crossover eps were all filmed around each other because the two shows themselves didn't match with each other?

I'm also anticipating a mess scheduling-wise for them (and feeling mega-bad for SA, GG, and MB during probably that whole month of filming), but I'm also laughing at the idea that the Arrow cast so far has been commenting "I have no idea how the hell we are going to do this" along with the excitement of crossing over and interacting with the other casts more than the other shows, or from what I've seen.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm honestly expecting a very different/limited crossover event this year. I really don't expect Felicity, Diggle or Caitlin to get much time , if they crossover at all. Pretty sure Cisco will get to crossover so he can fangirl Supergirl

Although,  i personally think it would be an absolute crime to not have Kara/Felicity in a scene together.  I don't watch Supergirl and i know there a huge divide between people who think the characters are similar and people who seem totally insulted by the idea.  However, from the stills I've seen, the shows seem to have the same style in mind for them.   

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm honestly expecting a very different/limited crossover event this year. I really don't expect Felicity, Diggle or Caitlin to get much time , if they crossover at all. Pretty sure Cisco will get to crossover so he can fangirl Supergirl

Although,  i personally think it would be an absolute crime to not have Kara/Felicity in a scene together.  I don't watch Supergirl and i know there a huge divide between people who think the characters are similar and people who seem totally insulted by the idea.  However, from the stills I've seen, the shows seem to have the same style in mind for them.   

I'm torn... While Cisco is definitely the fan favorite in The Flash and everyone seems to love him, Supergirl has always been about "girl power" which is why I can also see Felicity crossing over as well and spending that one on one moment w/ Felicity too. 

But I agree with @Chaser, what makes these crossovers great is mixing up the fun and lovable characters with the straight guys. That's why Barry/Oliver work well together. So I doubt it'd be as fun to see Cisco/Barry/Kara than it would be to see Barry/Kara/Cisco w/ Oliver/Diggle or Barry/Kara/Felicity w/ Oliver/Diggle... I feel like I'm not making sense here lol

• Love 2

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I just assumed that Kara would show up on The Flash and Arrow, so she'd get scenes with Cisco (so he can fangirl) and Diggle (so we can see him freak out). I doubt the supporting cast will be crossing over too much but I assumed that Kara, Barry and Oliver will somehow end up on all three shows. Not sure how LoT will work into it.

• Love 1

Any scenario I dream up for the crossover will either overexcite or disappoint me. My philosophy for the major crossover is to sit back and watch it blow up or witness magic in the making.

I think the crossover is gonna be messy tbh. They should probably just focus on the leads and everyone else has fleeting scenes or one-liners. There are just too many characters.

But if Felicity and Kara stand next to each other and someone doesn't make a "Freaky" type of comment about how alike they look, IDK what's the point. LOL. Seriously though, intentional or not, they look very similar sometimes.

I really don't see them looking that much alike beyond the pink shirt scene & glasses. I think it diminishes them when people say they look a like because they happen to have a similar professional work attire, wear glasses & a ponytail. All of which are pretty common & non-unique choices. I don't even think they have similar personalities. 

Now if FS starts to claim that the glasses are fake to cover up a secret identity or starts flying around - then I will call freaky. Right now, they are just two girls who happen to shop at the same Flarrowverse high end version of Banana Republic. And prefer the convenience of a nicely secured ponytail.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Maybe they can both wear their pink, button-front shirts at the same time.

That's exactly what i was hoping for. Then we could get staring/double takes and people going "freaky"

I don't think it diminishes either of them to say they look similar sometimes. Cute ponytail, dark glasses, short skirts, and cute dresses = alike. No one is saying they're identical or have the same personality. 

It's just a fun thing to mention because my first thought of Pilot Kara in the pink shirt was 'Oh, that's like 103 Felicity!' and I know I'm not the only one.

It would be nice to see Felicity and Kara together, and have Oliver make the "are you sure you're not related?" comment without it being him jealous of a nerdy guy she's kissed.

There was some interview where David Ramsey said he can't wait to do Diggle's reaction to Supergirl. I do think that will be the funniest part of a crossover. Digg's reactions to Barry's powers have always been amusing.

• Love 3
(edited)

Diggle's reaction should be great, especially because in 208 (I think) he actually said "What's next? Aliens?!" after hearing about the super strength human weapons. LOL.

Edited by Guest
(edited)

With Supergirl moving to The CW and to Vancouver, I wonder if that show will change tonally or visually.  Remember this 2014 interview with David Rapaport, in which he seemed to make a distinction between The CW and other networks, and between casting in Vancouver and casting in L.A.? 

In this interview, Shelley Carney said that, as a casting director, Rapaport ended up working a lot of shows where he's looking for "young, beautiful actors" a lot of the time, mentioning Gossip Girl, Flash and Arrow. So she asked if he felt that there was a lack of roles for "older actors or more average looking people."  

Rapaport replied: "No, not at all. Not at all. I think, you know, you have to look at something like Gossip Girl or 90210, for instance. They are on The CW, which is a youth-based market... They are appealing to the 18 to 34 year olds. These are fantastical shows that are appealing also to a, um, fantasy world of what it's like to live in high society New York or high society Los Angeles. And so, in the dream world, everyone is under 40 and beautiful. In reality, that doesn't exist.  Um, I think it's a very, very small part of what is out there in terms of roles and the industry. Um, you know, a hard part for me is a lot of the co-star, you know, 5-and-under day players, are cast out of Vancouver, which is where we shoot Arrow and The Flash. So I don't usually have the opportunity to cast a lot of older, um, actors or more character-y actors in supporting roles. Um, I do get to cast them, you know, in larger roles, but I don't get as many.  I think with Supergirl, hopefully, which will shoot in L.A., we will have the opportunity to cast people from, you know, 0 to 99, which really, really excites me because I came up under Mali Finn, who came from the theater, and she loved character actors. She loved the messed-up teeth and the crooked eyes and - you know, just people with a lot of personality and so that, instinctually is in my gut and that's what I'm looking for.  Um, but tonally, I also have to understand that the projects that I'm working on, for the most part, tend to steer towards, um, the beauty business, you know, and it's - and -and that's only a small part of it. So I don't want to discourage anyone who's not that.  You know, I'm not that and I'm doing okay in life, you know."

Shelley Carney Interviews Casting Director David Rapaport
Published on Dec 11, 2014, by Shelley Carney Productions

Edited by tv echo

I think tonally SG is going to stay the same. I think visually it has to change due to the physicality of filming in VC vs. LA. It will probably be less outdoor shots. Personally, I think its going to impact the Flash more so than Arrow's shooting because they are going to be competing for more of the same shots/sets. I know there is a big demand for Flarrowverse sets, however both LoT & Arrow do not need to be outdoors & sunny. Their shows can survive the shuffling that will ensue. For Arrow, I believe the biggest impact is going to be the PT sets & the potential loss of them if speculation is accurate.

Casting I think is going to be as diverse as the CW can get. I don't think VC limits them in terms of getting actors of all shapes, sizes, ages & ethnicities. It is the fact that they are on the CW that limits Rappaport's choices, not his location. A lot of stuff films in VC and they are able to cast a lot of variety. CW & Flarrowverse make choices that minimizes their variety. It's not a supply & demand issue, its a choices issue.

• Love 2

And this is the one new person on Flash this season? Weird that he's already a regular.

He must be the villain, right? Also strange that he's apparently an original character. I wonder if that's a fakeout, and he eventually turns out to be someone from the comics.