Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I'd be totally cool with posters only featuring the leads. But they don't so the whole thing becomes messy and unfair sometimes. 

4 hours ago, Chaser said:

I miss the old WB promos.

Me too!   They were the best.   I particularly miss the ads from the early 2000s that were the videos of the entire casts of all the show.  LIke that shiny gold and glass one from 2001.

• Love 2

On that poster, there are seven characters from LoT, six of them men.  I understand only Barry from The Flash on there since he's really the only actual crimefighter on the show but if they had added Diggle and Felicity from Arrow, and J'onn Jonzz from Supergirl, that would have increased the POC by two and the women by one more, both sadly needed.

On 6/25/2016 at 6:15 PM, wonderwall said:

Well Wentworth is considered a PoC so there are 2 of them in there

I didn't know that until I was told, just like I didn't know that Kristin Kreuk was half-Asian until I was told, long after her Lana Lang days.  For me, unless I can identify them as being a minority character, it doesn't count.

It's like last year at the TCA tour. They kept saying that the Arrowverse  has three gay characters (MM, Snart and Stein) and I kept going "no, those characters are all heterosexual, it's the actors who are gay and that's not the same thing."  At the time, with Sara dead, Nyssa was the only LGBT character on the shows.

• Love 4

But then you would have had cries of why no Iris, or Cisco, or Caitlin, or Alex, or James....  

The seven LoT characters....there is no established lead on LoT like there is for the other three shows, so there really isn't a good way to pull one or two of them out and promote them over the others.

• Love 1

I don't evne know why there has to be just ONE poster for this stuff... Why not have a big one with all the leads + Every LoT member and then individual show ones? It's not like it takes that much work considering they reuse all the photos... That way no one is upset or annoyed. OR have one with the leads, then another one with the rest of the team (Felicity, Diggle, Thea, Cisco, Iris, Caitlin, Joe)... 

• Love 2

I think of Rip being the head of LoT.  Unfortunately, he's the most boring character of the group.

It just looks weird having one person from each of Arrow, Flash and Supergirl and seven from LoT.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I don't evne know why there has to be just ONE poster for this stuff... Why not have a big one with all the leads + Every LoT member and then individual show ones? It's not like it takes that much work considering they reuse all the photos... 

They probably will.  That's what they did last year, at least for Arrow and LoT.  Flash has never done a cast poster.

Here is the Arrow season 4 group poster.

• Love 1
(edited)

That was at Comic Con.  I don't think it was the official season four poster though?  I think the official poster was just Oliver by himself in the new Arrow suit, with the Aim Higher tagline.  This one obviously was put together before the new suit reveal.

Edited by Starfish35
14 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I think of Rip being the head of LoT.  Unfortunately, he's the most boring character of the group.

He's the team leader, but I'm not sure he's the show lead.  I don't think LoT has a lead.  Sara would probably be as close as anyone to being the lead, but I don't really think of her being the lead either.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Delphi said:

Me too!   They were the best.   I particularly miss the ads from the early 2000s that were the videos of the entire casts of all the show.  LIke that shiny gold and glass one from 2001.

I checked some of the later ones too.. man those promo rock! Dear CW PR department your homework assignment for the current summer hiatus is to watch and review these promos for your fall 2016 promos.

By the way, is it me or does the circle they are partying at looks exactly like the one used in the nsync "pop" video?

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

I think the poster is fine, it had all the main heroes for the shows and that works. I do wish Arrow & Flash did a group poster with their whole cast of heroes. To put every hero of all 3 shows on one poster would be too much.

The whiteness of the poster is whole other problem that can relate back to casting. Really wish they found a way to add more POC to the flarrowverse.

I hate the Dare to Defy slogan, I think its dumb and promotes nothing good. And I too miss the WB promos. Anyone else remember the frog? Oh the good old days :(

• Love 1

I don't know, I kind of like the current slogan. it works well with the current line up, "defy your work, dare to live in ours" a pretty smart and catchy slogan that I can see resonating with network demographic, I mean I can't think of any millennial who doesn't want to defy the rules in some form or another, live in someone else's world.

had to google the frog, I feel like it's a you had to be in the US watching the network live to get it and like him.. I personally don't.

The posters in general are terrible. I remember the Season 3 one which excluded Thea and just had Oliver, Laurel, Felicity, Diggle and Roy all obviously photoshopped walking down a street totally out of synch and disproportionate. (And people were worried because Laurel was put in front of Diggle and she'd sideline him that season, which turned out to be correct.)

I liked the Season 2 poster, which looked pretty cool although Felicity wasn't in glasses and it was missing Moira and Quentin. It still amazes me that fans can produce amazing art, posters, graphics and promo with no budget and without actually being employed, while the actual marketing department is useless. Seriously, just contract fans to make stuff. 

• Love 7

The WB promo feels very much 15 years ago. Which is fine because it was. It reminded me of how much I freaking loved Popular. Also, what WB show was Nikki Cox on (man, she was soooo pretty before, I'll never get over that) and who's the guy being tossed in the air?

25 minutes ago, bijoux said:

The WB promo feels very much 15 years ago. Which is fine because it was. It reminded me of how much I freaking loved Popular. Also, what WB show was Nikki Cox on (man, she was soooo pretty before, I'll never get over that) and who's the guy being tossed in the air?

I think it was her self titled show Nikki.

No idea about the guy, what minute:second is it on?

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Those promos were great.

The guy getting tossed is Bryce Johnson who was "Josh" on Popular. I did a rewatch a few years ago of Popular. It still held up to me. Some of the issues they addressed were still relevant, and I don't know if you can top Mary Cherry or Nicole Julian.

• Love 4
(edited)

Doesn't the diversity problem really stem from the source material (the comics)?  So unless Berlanti dared to defy the comics by casting more POCs as lead superheroes...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I have a big problem with that poster. Berlanti is always talking about how much he cares about diversity & how he wants his TV shows to portray how diverse the world really is... Except, from what I found he's never had a non-white lead. I keep seeing these sites like Variety writing articles to celebrate him for opening doors for POCs and LGBTQ representation on his shows, and I'm left confused.

I think he does have leeway to race bend comic characters, he did so with the West family (I won't get into the disservice he has done to them) & he race-bent Jimmy Olsen (who has become a cheerleader for Kara and SM). Let's not forget we had to fight for every little thing Diggle got. I remember MG & GB saying Diggle didn't need a mask, even though he clearly did since he was out fighting with GA. Berlanti seems to think that the little he does is enough but wants to keep on talking about how he's a pioneer for diversity. The guy had 5 tv shows on-air at the same time and didn't have a single non-white lead. Sure, he'll have one or two POC characters per show and I guess that's him being inclusive. I'm sure in Berlanti's world there's only a couple of non-white people he interacts with on the regular, so I guess we can assume the shows accurately portrays HIS world, but it doesn't portray mine. Not even close.

I mean, look at Vixen, she didn't even get the chance at her own show but they were talk about giving bland ass Ray a spin off during season 3. Now she's gonna be on Legends which is just an awful show imo & reeks of them using her just because they wrote off the only WOC they had. Heaven forbid they keep Kendra and add another black woman. But I'm gonna stop here because I already tweeted my thoughts to Berlanti and the Clearly White network. I don't wanna clog this thread with my anger.

• Love 2
(edited)

Imo Kendra was awful. I wouldn't mind another WOC but I hope Kendra never shows up again. Vixen was for the cartoon and then they introduced her on Arrow. But it was on an episode which wasn't well received, even if people liked her well enough. Talk of Vixen going to Legends or maybe even getting her own show was talked about at winter TCA. 

http://screenrant.com/vixen-tv-series-season-2-poster-live-action/

As for the poster, My problem is Wentworth Miller. His character isn't going to be a regular on Legends this seasons so shouldn't be with them. They should have waited until s2 filming so they could get a shot of the new LOT characters. Adding Vixen to where Snart is would make the poster look better imo. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 5

Kendra was an awful character. I'm glad she's gone. I'm hoping they can do better with the new Vixen. 

I do agree that Berlanti  shouldn't be celebrated for the diversity or the lgbt characters on his shows.  

• Love 3

I was a little surprised about Wentworth myself, but....that's a unique situation.  He's still a series regular, just...for the Flarrowverse, not specifically LoT.  And we have no idea how that's going to play out yet. 

Kendra.....Kendra's main problem IMO was that the writers never wanted to write for her outside of her love life, whether that be with Ray or the boring wooden Carter.  I had high hopes for the character before the season started, but the writers never seemed to care about anything but her love life.  And frankly as long as the writers were determined to stick with the reincarnated soulmates storyline with her,  I would rather she flew away and took her dull as dirt reincarnated lover with her.  I am so over predestined romances. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think Kendra's only issue was the writing.  I think with a better actress (or one with a more natural on screen charisma) and if both her pairs had better chemistry it would have worked. It was a big casting fail imo. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 7

I dunno,  a regular character on all three,  possibly four  shows is a pretty steep commitment.   If they plan on utilizing Wentworth as much as I hope they are I don't see any reason he shouldn't be on the poster. 

Also,  I do consider Wentworth as an actor, not his character,  as a pretty good symbol for diversity. 

Felicity might be on 3 or 4 shows as well (she was this past season). She's not on the poster. I love Snart and wish he was still a LOT regular but he's not. 

• Love 2

I think the WM stuff is just PR since fans would be sad he left LOT. I think they are just spinning that he's a regular on all shows just to placate fans. I doubt we'll see him much. Probably a handful of episodes of Flash and LOT.

• Love 4

I don't think so.  They made a big deal about this being a unique first-of-its-kind contract, with him actually being called a series regular for the Flarrowverse.  They wouldn't do that if he was just going to be popping in and out here and there.  They'd just say he's going to be recurring.  And the LoT fandom isn't big enough anyway for them to be trying to placate that way.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Starfish35 said:

I don't think so.  They made a big deal about this being a unique first-of-its-kind contract, with him actually being called a series regular for the Flarrowverse.  They wouldn't do that if he was just going to be popping in and out here and there.  They'd just say he's going to be recurring.  And the LoT fandom isn't big enough anyway for them to be trying to placate that way.

To be fair, just because WM is a regular doesn't mean he's going to appear in 20+ episodes... It just means the network has him on lock for whenever they need him. Just look at JB/PB who were regulars and have barely had 1+ hours of screentime.

• Love 3
(edited)

Agreed with that.  But it's really not the same as a guest star role.   He's still contracted,  and unlike Emily,  he's contracted for the whole universe.  It's not the type of role where he can say he's not available like Katrina or Charlotte.  Nor is it the same as them working around Emily's work schedule and personal time. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 1

The thing is that this poster is said to show the leads of Arrow, Flash and Supergirl and the ensemble of Legends of tomorrow. That tells me that it should be the 3 leads and the regulars of LOT. Otherwise, I want the crossover cast of the other shows. Cisco and Felicity were on all 3 CW Flarrow shows last season and you know they will be a part of the Crossover this season. 

*shrug*  To me, the situation with Wentworth is unique enough that it doesn't bother me.  He is not simply a LoT regular guest-starring on the other shows, such as is the case with Cisco and Felicity.  He is in a completely unique situation.  It is not analogous to Felicity or Cisco or whoever just crossing over to another show.  

But obviously YMMV.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wentworth Miller was the one who didn't want a fulltime contract with LoT next season. That suggests to me that he doesn't want to be in a lot of episodes, whether it's on the one show (LoT) or the Flarrowverse in general, even fewer than Barrowman who was a regular in seasons 3 and 4 but wasn't on most episodes.  They should have given the spot to someone who is going to be in every episode of their show.

5 hours ago, tv echo said:

Doesn't the diversity problem really stem from the source material (the comics)?  So unless Berlanti dared to defy the comics by casting more POCs as lead superheroes...

I don't know the comics but I'm always hearing complaints of Berlanti etc whitewashing the comic book characters (e.g. White Canary, Oliver's babymama).  It's probably a combination of both.

Looking at that old WB promo video, I'm surprised at how many of those actors are not only still on TV and movies right now but doing well in them (e.g. Katie Holmes, David Boreanaz, Allison Hannigan, Keri Russell, Michelle Williams, Jamie Fox, Joshua Jackson).  I guess the WB is not just for pretty faces who can't act.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

Coming off a smaller base, the CW posted bigger percentage increases than CBS, with both the total haul and CPMs said to be up low double digits from last year. With volume increase believed to be in the 12%-14% range, the CW pre-sold about 80% of its ad inventory, on par with last year, for as much as $500 million, sources said. I hear the growth was driven both by linear and digital, with more deals based on C7 ratings.

The CW is expected to control in-season SVOD rights for next season. Additionally, the network is projecting a ratings boost from the addition of superhero drama Supergirl, which joins flagship series The Flash and Arrow. 

Also as part of its upfront ad sales, the CW has secured several clients to support its social responsibility initiative.

The upfront market is moving fast, with ABC also believed to be closing its sales.

The CW Wraps Upfront Sales With Double-Digit Volume Increase

http://deadline.com/2016/06/the-cw-upfront-sales-volume-increase-1201780220/

• Love 3

Frankly, that doesn't soound so disappointing for Einstein. It's not like he's famous for his virtue. I would be disappointed if he turned up to be an idiot.

• Love 3

Einstein would be an idiot if he didn't make a play for Sara, but that goes for pretty much anyone who hasn't had the privilege of meeting Felicity Smoak.

OMG!

Can you imagine Felicity and Einstein in a scene together?!  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, TrueMyth said:

Einstein would be an idiot if he didn't make a play for Sara, but that goes for pretty much anyone who hasn't had the privilege of meeting Felicity Smoak.

OMG!

If she was star struck with Harrison can you imagine her reaction to Einstein??? Her and Barry both would FREAK lol

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, TrueMyth said:

OMG!

Well that's not fair. Now I really want Felicity to meet Einstein and it will never happen. Curse you! *Humph*

(edited)
25 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

So still no casting news for the Flash. I really think they will resolve Flashpoint in episode 1.

I don't get it, because if they DO resolve Flashpoint in episode 1, wouldn't that mean that there should definitely be casting news by now, with them at least looking for guest stars, villains of the week, etc, for the episodes coming afterwards? All this casting news for the other shows isn't just for the premieres.

If anything, this is making me a bit concerned that FP might be going on longer than I thought, even though it's clearly not affecting the other shows at all.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 3
(edited)

Not if they dont want to give away the Flashpoint storyline. Flashpoint is their buzz word during hiatus. Even with Flashpoint they would need some guest stars or recurring. But there is nothing. There must be holding back the info on any new additions to keep the buzz going.

Doesnt Captain Cold has an important role in Flashpoint. At least tease it with him? There are no announcments.

Edited by Velocity23
5 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I don't get it, because if they DO resolve Flashpoint in episode 1, wouldn't that mean that there should definitely be casting news by now, with them at least looking for guest stars, villains of the week, etc, for the episodes coming afterwards? All this casting news for the other shows isn't just for the premieres.

If anything, this is making me a bit concerned that FP might be going on longer than I thought, even though it's clearly not affecting the other shows at all.

That's a good point.  I can't imagine Flashpoint going past the first episode, but you're right - the lack of any new casting info for Flash is just weird.

(edited)

But even if FP does go on for any amount of time, wouldn't they still need new people in the cast? If Barry changed everything beginning with his mother's non-murder, what are the chances that every single person that's in his life now would still be in his life then? 

Maybe it's just all way under wraps. 

Edited by apinknightmare

Well, I figure that it's going to be kind of like Earth-2, where all the regulars are playing kinda new versions of themselves, except for Barry. So in this other timeline it makes sense to me that they wouldn't necessarily need new characters, they'd probably just bring back old ones, like Captain Cold in a new role for example.

But the lack of news for anything does make me think it may go on a little longer. Maybe three episodes?

• Love 3