Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, LeighAn said:

Reaching me thinks:

http://www.thewrap.com/finn-jones-iron-fist-reviews-donald-trump/

(I haven't read all the Iron Fist reviews but isn't the general consensus that the show just sucks on just about every level in terms of casting, acting, writing, pacing etc and not just a rejection of a Billionaire White Hero?)

Yep, and even if he wanted to go with that excuse...does he expect people to not like Batman or IronMan anymore, too?  Can't blame the boogeyman for your own shortcomings.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, KirkB said:

I'm actually surprised Marvel managed to miscast a blonde white guy so badly.

I like Iron Fist but nothing about this looks good to me.

The main problem as far as I can tell - besides the fact they should have gone with an asian-american, comics be damned - is that Jones is a block of wood, charisma-wise, and HE CAN'T FIGHT. How do you cast the (second) best martial arts fighter in Marvel-verse with someone who can't even make it look like he's trying? One of the things that really impressed me was the fight sequences on Daredevil. I mean, they were brutal. Alive. From what I've seen (and read) it looks like they just shrugged when it turned out Jones was unable to sell the fights. At least give him a mask, so his stuntman can do all the work...

"Nothing" might be a bit of an overstatement :) I like the look of Colleen Wing and I'm always up for more Claire.

• Love 2

From TVLine:

The Flash's Candice Patton Weighs In on Broken 'WestAllen' Engagement, Teases 'Breathless' Musical Role

TVLINE | The producers told me that Iris plays a huge role in the musical crossover with Supergirl (airing Tuesday, March 21).
Yeah! I saw that article, and I didn’t really think of it that way, but yeah, she’s a big part of it because this is her first crossover ever. Although I don’t thinks she’s technically crossing over….

TVLINE | She’s being “crossed over” [by some Supergirl cast].
She’s being “crossed over,” yeah. We get to see Iris as a completely different character — new name, new everything. Barry is whammied by the Music Meister and both him and Kara are in this dream-like state where they envision a world where… Iris is this fast-talking, brash daughter of a mobster. It’s a wig that we put on, and I was very much inspired by [Dick Tracy‘s] Breathless Mahoney. It’s just fun for us to do something different, because Iris usually has that “girl next door” thing going on. Even the sets we’re in are so glamorous and kind of 1940s-style. It’s really fun.

Edited by Starfish35
Just now, SmallScreenDiva said:

Didn't Barry just propose? They're broken up already? 

It wasn't as clear-on-the-nose as the break-up in 415, but she didn't wear the engagement ring at the end of the episode (315, in a very pointed shot) after a scene where she said she was disappointed that he proposed to her (at the end of 314) out of fear instead of out of love, so I guessed they broke up, but it went by really quickly so I'm not 100% sure.

I believe said in that Grant interview with TV Line that Barry will live with Cisco and Iris gets to stay on the loft.

Yeah Candice doesn't seem that happy based on her replies and I certainly wouldn't if I was her.

I love that.

EP's to Iris fans - Iris is a big part of the musical, you'll love it.

CP - I read that article and was like huh? Ok, I guess, this is Iris' first crossover where she's still not crossing over. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

That wasn't from the TVLine interview.

Was it edited to remove a spoiler, maybe? Because this is in one of the comments:

Seriously Cisco is a freaking saint to let Barry move back in after everything. Just hope it will be fun at least.

The comments in reply also talk about Barry leaving/moving back in. Seems like a weird thing for more than one person to pick up if it wasn't ever in there, haha. But who knows.

Yeah it must've been deleted because that's where I saw the Cisco part. 

26 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I love that.

CP - I read that article and was like huh? Ok, I guess, this is Iris' first crossover where she's still not crossing over. 

which technically isn't true since she was still in the flash portion of the crossover this season. I guess she probably means they actually let her do something for once.

29 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Was it edited to remove a spoiler, maybe? Because this is in one of the comments:

The comments in reply also talk about Barry leaving/moving back in. Seems like a weird thing for more than one person to pick up if it wasn't ever in there, haha. But who knows.

I didn't remember it from when I first read the interview.  That's why I went and checked.  It'd be a weird thing to delete - it's not like a major spoiler.  But I guess maybe so?

Edited by Starfish35

Don't mean to pile on Iron Fist, but decided to post this review just for the multiple Arrow references...

What Went Wrong with Iron Fist?
By Trent Moore  |  March 14, 2017 
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/03/what-went-wrong-with-iron-fist.html

There’s also the fact that Iron Fist seems to be borrowing (stealing?) from more than a few comparable genre properties—most notably The CW’s Arrow and Netflix compatriot Daredevil—which only serves to underline Iron Fist’s shortcomings. The initial episodes hit many of the same beats as the first season of Arrow, showing Danny’s return to the family business and his issues with the bustle of city life, all while moonlighting on the streets. Some of Danny’s early adventures also seem to draw heavily from Daredevil’s mission roster. Kidnapping case? Check. Mystery drug hitting the streets? Double check. The Daredevil comparisons are all the more glaring when the Hand emerges as the main villain, complete with a few familiar faces, such as Rosario Dawson’s Claire Temple and Carrie-Anne Moss’ Jeri Hogarth. If you’ve been watching the Marvel shows, you’ve seen much of this before. Iron Fist does feature a few additional intrigues on the margins—Harold Meachum’s mystery role, why Danny left K’un-Lun—though they flit in and out of the overarching narrative at random, and with no real urgency.
Then, there’s the look of the show, in particular its action sequences—typically a strength for Marvel’s Netflix series. Where the studio’s other shows have an almost cinematic style, Iron Fist has more in common with broadcast dramas of the same ilk. The cinematography and choreography are not unlike what you’d find in a typical genre entry, with their speedier production schedules, on one of the major networks—Arrow, perhaps, or ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. That’s not to say it’s bad, exactly. It just feels rushed when compared to the attention to detail we’re used to from Netflix and Marvel’s prior collaborations. The fight scenes are also forgettable, which is not a good thing when your hero is supposed to be a kung-fu master. Oh, and the “Iron Fist” at the heart of it all? It’s… not great. Basically, it’s a glowing yellow fist that looks like it’d be more at home in a B-level sci-fi movie.

• Love 1

‘The Flash’: Candice Patton on Barry and Iris’ Growing Rift
Jacob Bryant  March 14, 2017
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/the-flash-iris-barry-candice-patton-1202008785/

Who Can Save Iris on 'The Flash'? Candice Patton Has the BEST Answer
Damian Holbrook March 13, 2017 6:00 pm
https://www.tvinsider.com/137598/iris-the-flash-candice-patton-interview/

THE FLASH & SUPERGIRL: Musical Crossover Set Visit
Published on Mar 14, 2017, by DC Entertainment 

“You’ll see two versions of Iris in the episode,” she said. “The Iris that we know and love, and a person they [Barry and Kara (Melissa Benoist)] think is Iris but is actually a completely different character named Millie. She’s the sassy daughter of two gangsters — played Victor Garber and Jessie Martin — and she’s madly in love with Mon-El’s character (‘Supergirl’s’ Chris Wood), whose name is Tommy. They’re fighting for their love, because both of their families do not want them to be together.”

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/the-flash-iris-barry-candice-patton-1202008785/

This sounds like lots of ship baiting with Barry/Kara and Iris/Mon-El

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

That wasn't from the TVLine interview.

It was; TVLine edited.

15 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm thinking about watching Flash tonight since I saw Eddie in a promo but, I don't want "bad" Eddie. I don't want another Canaries where they toss Eddie's ghost under the bus. Decisions decisions.

If you like Cosnett I'd say watch; at least for his sexy, sexy voice. It's not really Eddie but the speed force talking through his image.

24 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

This sounds like lots of ship baiting with Barry/Kara and Iris/Mon-El

Heh, Barry's not into blondes. And 'Iris' and 'Mon-El' are playing different characters, so I'm not worried.

The musical part looks like it's going to be fun! I'm only concerned with everything outside that.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Trini said:

Heh, Barry's not into blondes. And 'Iris' and 'Mon-El' are playing different characters, so I'm not worried.

The musical part looks like it's going to be fun! I'm only concerned with everything outside that.

Werent Patty and Felicity blondes. But i think the EPs loved the chemistry of Barry/Kara in last seasons crossover. And they push for more this season.  Its still ship baity territory for me. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

Me too. The musical is the last thing I am worried about. I want to know what happens to Iris outside of it. I have a feeling they are going to do "new" Iris storyline next season. 

6 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I love that.

This is why I love Candice. She always been honest with her fans regarding her storylines. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Cleanqueen said:

I believe said in that Grant interview with TV Line that Barry will live with Cisco and Iris gets to stay on the loft.

Yeah Candice doesn't seem that happy based on her replies and I certainly wouldn't if I was her.

8 hours ago, way2interested said:

It wasn't as clear-on-the-nose as the break-up in 415, but she didn't wear the engagement ring at the end of the episode (315, in a very pointed shot) after a scene where she said she was disappointed that he proposed to her (at the end of 314) out of fear instead of out of love, so I guessed they broke up, but it went by really quickly so I'm not 100% sure.

So they actually broke up.  Wow.  That was not clear in the episode.  I assumed she was turning down the engagement but I don't get breaking up the whole relationship.  It reminds me of 408 where I watched Oliver and Felicity have a fight and Barry said they broke up.  

8 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

So they actually broke up.  Wow.  That was not clear in the episode.  I assumed she was turning down the engagement but I don't get breaking up the whole relationship.  It reminds me of 408 where I watched Oliver and Felicity have a fight and Barry said they broke up.  

But does giving the ring back mean the relationship is also over? Could be she gave the ring back, and told him she'd accept it again when he proposed out of "love," and not fear, whatever the fuck that means. Makes it sound Barry doesn't love Iris at all, but doesn't want her to die, so he proposed because he's afraid she'll die and he won't be able to save her? Why can't his proposal come from a place of both fear and love? It's clear to me he's been in love with her forever, and that proposal didn't sound like it came from a place of fear to me. I don't understand why it has to be either OR. And yes, I realize a lot of folks here hated the proposal, and loathe Barry.

But I'm hopped up on drugs right now after having MAJOR surgery, so please just pelt me with nerf bullets!?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But does giving the ring back mean the relationship is also over? Could be she gave the ring back, and told him she'd accept it again when he proposed out of "love," and not fear, whatever the fuck that means. Makes it sound Barry doesn't love Iris at all, but doesn't want her to die, so he proposed because he's afraid she'll die and he won't be able to save her? Why can't his proposal come from a place of both fear and love? It's clear to me he's been in love with her forever, and that proposal didn't sound like it came from a place of fear to me. I don't understand why it has to be either OR. And yes, I realize a lot of folks here hated the proposal, and loathe Barry.

But I'm hopped up on drugs right now after having MAJOR surgery, so please just pelt me with nerf bullets!?

I didn't hate the proposal and I do believe Barry loves Iris.  I actually thought that Iris was just turning down the proposal for now but if

Spoiler

he's moving out of the loft,

that's a breakup.  It feels contrived honestly.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

I didn't hate the proposal and I do believe Barry loves Iris.  I actually thought that Iris was just turning down the proposal for now but if

Hide contents

he's moving out of the loft,

that's a breakup.  It feels contrived honestly.  

This is why I hate time travel on this show! If that jackass Wally hadn't insisted to Cisco to take him into the future-Maaaaaybe Barry and Iris would still be engaged. He spent more time staring at Iris's finger that no longer had the ring, and thus, he too, was too late to save Iris. And he just Assuuuumed that the reason why Barry proposed was because he wanted save her and change the future. The fact that it turned out to be true, is totally beside the point!?

And I get Iris telling Barry she wanted to be his wife, not just someone he had to save through eternity. And of course that was the magic word, and Barry and Iris had to return to STAR Labs to reveal that Savitar was in the Speed Force. So I'll we'll never know what Barry would have said in response. BUT. It was just a few episodes ago where Iris tearfully told Barry she was afraid to die and that he had to do something to stop it from happening.

And if that ASS Wally, hadn't stolen the last piece of the Philosopher's Stone, to battle with Savitar, after opening his pie hole that the team had it, maybe Wally wouldn't have gotten sucked in. This is the WORST iteration of my Favorite Flash EVER. I can't tolerate him and his whiny ass.

Off to watch tonight's show now.

Now I remember why I stopped watching The Flash.  Man, everyone must sacrifice for Barry while giving him a pep talk. It's annoying. 

I did like seeing Eddie/Rick again. I loved him and still think he's a wonderful man. So much better than Barry and a better partner for Iris. 

I also like Robbie Smell as Ronnie he was really good and oddly DO (even tonight) has good chemistry with RA.

• Love 3

I still can't tell if they've broken up or are just taking a step back from the engagement, LOL. It seems like yes because Barry said he wasn't sure how they could "move forward like this"? 

This is all very dumb, especially given Iris was willing to stay engaged and Barry's the one who broke it off? Ugh.

Just now, apinknightmare said:

This is all very dumb, especially given Iris was willing to stay engaged and Barry's the one who broke it off? Ugh.

Iris, girl... Have some dignity. smh 

Barry truly doesn't deserve her.

Well they are taking space and Barry is moving out, so I consider that a break-up.

Sorry to all of those WestAllen fans who thought they would buck the trend and stay together without a contrived break-up. You are free to join us with all the other fans of couples who for TV purposes needed a break.

I'm only really surprised it took so long, or Iris didn't have to get physically hurt in the present to make it happen.

Glad I tuned back into Flash just in time to watch it be as predictable as always. Another existential crisis for BA with dead people, must be March.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

So basically... Barry is the one who messed up. But Iris is the one who not only went back to him to make amends but they're going to have her wait for him too? Good lord that's messed up.

He's the hero, duh! ?

4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I know the other heroes do dumb things, but Barry is really the only hero that makes everything about him. And then needs to get pep talks constantly. 

Who gave a "pep talk" this time? The episode was mostly the opposite.

2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I just read the Flash thread! Poor things! They are living out their version of BMD it seems!

It's really disappointing they backtracked on not doing the whole 'we need to be apart so I can protect you' trope; but I don't think it's at all like "I can't be with you because you kept your lovechild a secret from me".

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Trini said:

Who gave a "pep talk" this time? The episode was mostly the opposite.

It's really disappointing they backtracked on not doing the whole 'we need to be apart so I can protect you' trope; but I don't think it's at all like "I can't be with you because you kept your lovechild a secret from me".

No you guys definitely don't have a demon spawn and a lying hag BM but it was still a stupid unnecessary break up! I just hope they sort this sh%t out soon. I like The Flash because it's more cheerful than Arrow. Gawd help me if I need to sit through S5 Arrow again but the Flash version!

• Love 1

Just watched The Flash. I don't actually understand why Barry broke up with Iris.  Why do they need distance?  Whatever happened to not wasting the time they have?  And how come Jesse Quick must go keep E3 when it lost its Flash but no one cared that E2 lost its Flash (her)?  

And the Speedforce is taking waaay too much credit if it claims Snart gave up his life cause he wanted to be like Barry.  Barry can have only enough credit to get him on the Waverider and after that I'm giving it to Sara.  ;)

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

how come Jesse Quick must go keep E3 when it lost its Flash but no one cared that E2 lost its Flash (her)?  

Yeah that makes no sense.

30 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

And the Speedforce is taking waaay too much credit if it claims Snart gave up his life cause he wanted to be like Barry.  Barry can have only enough credit to get him on the Waverider and after that I'm giving it to Sara.  ;)

Lol.  Well, I suppose it probably pleased the ColdFlash shippers. ;)

• Love 1