Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E19: Live Top 12 Eliminations

• Start Topic

From TV Guide:

Ten artists are revealed as safe by America's votes.  The bottom two artists compete for the Instant Save, and one is eliminated.  Maroon 5 performs.  Jennifer and Blake perform with their teams.

This is a one-hour results show as the first elimination of the live rounds is decided.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 1

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Addison Agen (saved by America's vote)
Adam Cunningham (saved by Twitter vote)

Team Miley
Brooke Simpson (saved by America's vote)
Janice Freeman (saved by America's vote)
Ashland Craft (saved by America's vote)

Team Jennifer
Noah Mac (saved by America's vote)
Shi'Ann Jones (saved by America's vote)
Davon Fleming (saved by America's vote)

Team Blake
Chloe Kohanski (saved by America's vote)
Keisha Renee (saved by America's vote)
Red Marlow (saved by America's vote)

This is our top eleven.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

On a shallow note, Jennifer's dress was gorgeous.

Agreed!  Also, Miley's dress was a hoot.  Really enjoyed JHud's group performance and even the Pitch Perfect video.  I've seen Maroon 5 live and was underwhelmed at the time; on tv tonight they were pretty blah for me.  Did not care for the two survival performances - was Jon seriously trying to be saved with that mess?

• Love 6

I’m excited that the first artist to sing was saved! It’s a small thing but it gives me hope for future weeks that maybe people won’t always save the last person they heard.

Adam L. was palpably annoyed and that was fun. I also enjoyed how he told Adam C. how he would be nuetral then told Jon that Jon should stay then went back to trying to be nuetral.

Jon had a tough road. He was montaged in the knock outs which makes it hard to earn more support than artists we’ve gotten to get know every round.

• Love 5

So much good about tonight.

First of all, I figured that Addison, Noah, and Chloe were as good as safe.  By far, they're the three most popular artists this season, from what I've seen on social media, so they were no-brainers.  And I must say that Addison and Chloe looked nice!  Did Chloe let her hair down, or was she wearing extensions?

Davon, Noah, and, of course, Jennifer were all excellent in Team Jennifer's performance.  Shi'Ann wasn't bad, either, but she came off very nervous, although after that guitar solo, she did seem to calm down and settle into her parts.  Still, I really enjoyed that performance from all of them.  But damn that band for drowning them out at various points.

Next results . . . weren't surprising, either.  I knew that Brooke would get through.  Keisha getting through for now is no surprise, but I can see the polarizing opinions about her singing and her attempts to do an R&B/soul/country combination catching up with her sooner or later.  Maybe not next week, but if not in the top ten week, then she could easily be a bloodbath victim in the semifinals.

There's a reason I only really like "Animals" and "Sugar" from Maroon 5.  Nothing about most of their work grabs me.  This one included.  And Adam?  Please stick with your chest voice.  That's easily the best (or at least most tolerable) part of your range.  Your falsetto is too much.  No wonder you pant over the contestants that rely so heavily on it.

Next . . . Shi'Ann is safe?!  Whaaaaaaaat?!  I -- I -- I just . . . wow.  How do I respond to that?  Um . . . well!  Looks like she must have more fans than I thought!  Good for her, especially since she looked ready to cry at various points throughout Carson's reading of the results!  (She must've seen how low she charted on iTunes.)  But she'd better step up next week.  And Janice being safe?  No surprise at all after that performance from last night.  Glad to see her get through to next week.

So apparently, this new Snapchat winner was on a Snapchat season in which two coaches worked together against two other coaches.  This winner won from Team Adam and Team Miley together against Team Jennifer and Team Blake.

Team Blake's performance?  Well, all of them were good individually.  But it says how bad it is to have a team with artists of several different genres when they don't sound good together.  Still, not a terrible team performance.

Final vote-based saves next.  Ah!  Despite Davon charting so low last night, I knew he had a big, powerful enough fanbase and online following that would help him carry the day, so it's no surprise to me that that was the case here.  What was surprising was Ashland getting through!  Wow!  I guess either country really does have a great following, Miley has a great following, or both!  And now I feel pretty good about this.  With all seven women safe, any of the three men left can go, because I really don't care about any of them.  Plus, they're all artists from the two men's teams!  YAY!  But there's still one more save, and it's . . . Red.  Well, damn.  I really wanted him gone, and very quickly.

BUT . . . an all-Adam bottom two of Adam and Jon is a nice consolation prize!  I guess Adam's feeling the brunt of being picked over Emily, after all, and Jon's fakeness and disingenuousness wasn't just picked up by me.

But before I go on . . . I have something to note.

This, people, is a landmark event.  When the one-elimination-a-week format started, I began to think that it'd be impossible for either Adam or Blake to lose someone in the top twelve week.  In all four seasons since that format was adapted, it was always one of the middle two coaches who lost someone -- Pharrell losing Mark Hood in season nine, Pharrell then losing Emily Keener in season ten, Alicia losing Sa'Rayah in season eleven, and Gwen losing Troy Ramey in season twelve.  Now . . . at last!  One of the two veteran coaches is guaranteed to lose someone in the first top twelve week!  Better yet, it's Adam losing someone, guaranteed, since they're both his artists!

Would rather have seen Red down there over at least Adam, but . . . meh.  I can wait at least one more week for his time to come.

Okay.  Going on with the Instant Save performances, I actually didn't mind Adam's.  After not delivering at all last night, he actually showed how much he wanted to stay this time.  But Jon . . . pretty much sealed his fate by doing an upbeat song and not even doing it very well.  You could hear the shakiness in his voice.  He was clearly shocked and not happy to be at risk, and it showed in parts of his performance, especially the first, like, twenty to thirty seconds.

Indeed, the Twitter results said it all.  Adam was clearly preferred over Jon.  And so he managed to make it through, possibly to split the country vote with Red one more week.  While Jon, originally thought of as one of the frontrunners from Adam's team, is shockingly (even to me) sent home very, very early.  And with Jon goes not only Adam's only four-chair-turn, but the last original Team Adam member.  He only has a Battle steal from Miley (Addison) and a Knockout steal from Blake (Adam) left on his team.  Miley has three of her original members left (Ashland, Brooke, and Janice).  Jennifer has two original members (Davon and Shi'Ann) and a Battle steal from Blake (Noah).  And Blake has two original members left (Keisha and Red), plus a Knockout steal from Miley (Chloe).  All of the original Team Adam members are gone.

Again: ALL OF THE ORIGINAL TEAM ADAM MEMBERS ARE GONE.

All of Team Miley gets through.  All of Team Jennifer gets through.  Adam's team makes up the entire bottom two, with a guarantee that one of them will go home.  And probably the more threatening member of the two -- the one more threatening to all of my favorites, that is -- gets the ax.  Good episode.  Good, good, gooooooood episode.  I = one happy Voice fan.:)

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 7

Are there any stats of early departures by race or older age?  Jon's elimination reminded me that often seems to be a pattern, but I may be wrong. 

I can't help wondering if Adam C. wouldn't have been so low if Adam hadn't dwelled so long on his mistakes. But, overall, lives got off to a good start.

• Love 2

I don't know what it is about Adam C. but he bugs me. I would have rather seen him go over Jon. I liked his performance from last night. I do always enjoy when it's both of Adam's artists in the bottom 2.

I love Keisha and I don't mind her combining genres.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:48 PM, Court said:

I do always enjoy when it's both of Adam's artists in the bottom 2.

And that's a rarity, so I enjoy it whenever it can and does happen.:)

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:48 PM, Court said:

I love Keisha and I don't mind her combining genres.

I don't mind it, per se, and actually find it interesting.  I just don't particularly think she does it as well or as seamlessly as she or Blake thinks she does.  Many, many fans on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram all seem to be in agreement, too.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, Padma said:

Are there any stats of early departures by race or older age?  Jon's elimination reminded me that often seems to be a pattern, but I may be wrong. 

At least since the eliminate-one-per-week thing started, it's almost always been either a black artist or an artist on the team of a black coach who goes out first.  Or in seasons nine and eleven's cases, both.  As of now, season twelve is the only anomaly of that pattern.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Padma said:

I can't help wondering if Adam C. wouldn't have been so low if Adam hadn't dwelled so long on his mistakes. But, overall, lives got off to a good start.

IIRC, Blake mentioned them first, but I grew up with that song, know it by heart, and didn't need Blake or Adam to point out the mistakes.  Not only did he mess up at the beginning, he forgot lyrics all the way through.  None of that is a deal-breaker per se, but there were a lot of performances that were head and shoulders above his, so I don't think he needed any help landing on the bottom.  

When Miley first joined the show I thought I'd hate her, but I actually enjoy her a lot as a coach and will miss her next season.  On top of that, she looked absolutely beautiful last night. But that dress tonight was another story...

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, Kerri Okie said:

IIRC, Blake mentioned them first, but I grew up with that song, know it by heart, and didn't need Blake or Adam to point out the mistakes.  Not only did he mess up at the beginning, he forgot lyrics all the way through.  None of that is a deal-breaker per se, but there were a lot of performances that were head and shoulders above his, so I don't think he needed any help landing on the bottom.

I completely agree with this, and I had meant to post something similar last night. It was obvious to anyone who listened to his performance that Adam C. messed up. Perhaps at the beginning he couldn’t hear the band or whatever, but then he messed up the lyrics twice the first time he sang the chorus. He knew it, the coaches knew it, the audience knew it, so there was no ignoring it. Far from throwing him under the bus as someone suggested, they were giving him credit for recovering from that abysmal start and doing a decent job with the rest of the song. That’s what you do, and he deserved credit for doing it. 

• Love 5

I was really surprised when Jon ended up in the bottom two. But, his save-your-ass performance was one of the worst in this show’s run, so he deserved to lose the Twitter vote. 

Loved the Pitch Perfect music video! I will be tracking that down on YT to rewatch.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mystery Author said:

But that dress tonight was another story...

When I saw Miley's dress, my first thought was, "Who thought it was a good idea to dress Miley to look like a pink lampshade in a little girl's room?" And those enormous hoop earrings? Those looked big enough for trained dogs to leap thru. Miley is a beautiful young lady, but some of her fashion choices leave me scratching my head.

I didn't much care for Team Jennifer's rendition of Let It Be It started out okay but went way over the top closer to the end, made it feel like a shouty gospel song instead of the simple song the Beatles recorded.

I really think the right person went home. Jon's Instant Save performance was a hot mess. Too much running around playing to the audience and it affected his support, breath control and tone. He completely slurred a few lyrics to the point that if I had not known the song, I would have said, "What is that? What did he say?"

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Cindyluwho said:

[Miley]'s dress looked like Ayana's  Shopkins dress from Project Runway. 

That's what I thought, too! It only needed the bow and it would've been it exactly.

Did Chloe let her hair down, or was she wearing extensions?

I imagine extensions. She had them in on Monday for her performance as well.

12 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Again: ALL OF THE ORIGINAL TEAM ADAM MEMBERS ARE GONE.

Oh, nice. I love this!

12 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

At least since the eliminate-one-per-week thing started, it's almost always been either a black artist or an artist on the team of a black coach who goes out first.  Or in season nine's case, both.  As of now, season twelve is the only anomaly of that pattern.

Wow. Can't say I'm surprised, but damn.

• Love 4

I was quite surprised and not happy that Jon was in the Bottom-2.  I thought his performance Monday night was (barely) in the top half of the group and would much rather have seen Red or Ashland having to sing up against Adam.  But Jon's Save-Me performance was not only a poorly sung cheese-fest, but it reminded me of exactly why I hadn't  been impressed with him early in the season.  I can't say that I'm sad about his elimination.

As usual, I wasn't very impressed with the Team performances, but the Pitch Perfect video was pretty good.  As for Maroon 5, I haven't really liked any of their songs since their first album, with the possible exception of Sugar.

• Love 3

I was soooooo hoping for a Red-Adam showdown.  Damn.

On 11/21/2017 at 6:54 PM, Cindyluwho said:

Miley's dress looked like Ayana's  Shopkins dress from Project Runway. 

I thought so too.  For those who don't watch PR...

Project-Runway-Ayana-.jpg

On 11/21/2017 at 7:52 PM, Star Aristille said:

At least since the eliminate-one-per-week thing started, it's almost always been either a black artist or an artist on the team of a black coach who goes out first.  Or in season nine's case, both.  As of now, season twelve is the only anomaly of that pattern.

A black artist went out first.  So no anomaly that I see.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

A black artist went out first.  So no anomaly that I see.

I said in season twelve, it was an anomaly.  In that season, Troy Ramey, a white artist, went home first, and he was coached by Gwen, a white coach.  Every other season from season nine to now, it's either been a black artist or an artist coached by a black coach, as I've said before.

Season nine: Mark Hood, a black artist, was out first.  His coach was Pharrell, who was also black.
Season ten: While Emily Keener, who was out first, was a white artist, her coach was Pharrell, who was black.
Season eleven: Sa'Rayah was out first, and her coach was Alicia.  Both were black.
Season twelve: Troy Ramey was white and out first, and his coach was Gwen, who was also white.  The one exception to what may or may not be a coincidental occurrence.
Season thirteen: Jon Mero is black and was the first one out.  His coach was Adam, who was white.

Again, could be a coincidental pattern.  But it's one I thought I'd point out and clarify.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Star Aristille said:

I said in season twelve, it was an anomaly.  In that season, Troy Ramey, a white artist, went home first, and he was coached by Gwen, a white coach.

Reading comprehension -- it's a thing!  Sorry!!!!

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I was wondering if someone, or more than someone, would mention Miley's...um...dress. My reaction was WTF! She looked like the Fat Lady in the circus.

I loved her outfit - it was a total tweak to those who comment on her wardrobe choices!

• Love 1

I didn't much care for Team Jennifer's rendition of Let It Be It started out okay but went way over the top closer to the end, made it feel like a shouty gospel song instead of the simple song the Beatles recorded.

THIS! Yes. You took the words out of my fingers!

• Love 5

I thought Noah sounded fantastic on Let it Be -  the only one who let their voice do all the talking. I was on Team Davon after his audition, but after that group performance he completely lost me.  I love runs and melisma; I even look up youtube videos of it, but it's only effective when you pick your moments. If everything is all runs all the time, it sounds like a hot mess, even coming from a skilled singer. I was worried that Jennifer would lead him down this path rather than trying to reign him in, and well - it happened.
BUT, gotta say that I was pleasantly surprised by how generous JHud was with her group sing. Definitely was counting on her pulling an Xtina and giving herself all of the good parts.

I always love Blake's weirdo group sing choices, they're fun. Also made me long for Chloe to do some bluesy stuff; she sounded really good.

Meh on Jon leaving. Based on absolutely nothing, I found him a little arrogant and not likeable, which is very weird because he didn't actually "do" anything to warrant that. Oh well.

LOVED the Pitch Perfect video! Especially dug the first part with Keisha, Adam and Janice - gorgeous.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Sugar said:

I found him a little arrogant and not likeable,

It's weird, but during his audition I told the hubby that he would be the winner.  Not sure what went wrong.  I'm a music professional, and I liked his confidence and stage presence, and, oh yeah, his voice.

Edited by Babalooie
typo
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Babalooie said:

It's weird, but during his audition I told the hubby that he would be the winner.  Not sure what went wrong.  I'm a music professional, and I liked his confidence and stage presence, and, oh yeah, his voice.

Problem is, America didn't.  And that's the key to his ouster.

• Love 2