Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Fancy Crackers and Giant Women

paulvdb

Bonnie suffers withdrawal after giving up cable TV to help Christy pay for her law school applications, and the women rally around Jill after she has a breakdown in her favorite department store.

57 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

So does Natasha's new music career and move to LA mean that she'll be gone from the show? I never liked her very much so I won't miss her.

I'd thought she was being set up to join the main cast, actually.  But yes, it looks like she's leaving.

Jill also seems to be leaving, though I'm betting it's a short-term thing due to Jaime Pressly's maternity leave.  I wonder what she said that got cut off?  Something the writers intentionally did to leave it open to interpretation in terms of what Jill plans to do in Tucson and what she plans on bringing back?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Star Aristille said:

Jill also seems to be leaving, though I'm betting it's a short-term thing due to Jaime Pressly's maternity leave.  I wonder what she said that got cut off?  Something the writers intentionally did to leave it open to interpretation in terms of what Jill plans to do in Tucson and what she plans on bringing back?

Whenever there's a health spa (or fat camp) referenced on TV, it always seems to be set in the Southwest.  She did say "spa" so I suspect it's a place designed for her to lose weight. 

I really enjoyed this episode.  Even Natasha's story had purpose. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I really enjoyed this episode.  Even Natasha's story had purpose. 

Indeed.  Also, I'm really shocked that a new episode was on Thanksgiving, given all of the other reruns and specials being aired today.  I give CBS props for chancing it despite the holiday.

• Love 2

I hope to see Jaimee back.  She's a real important component to the show, imo.  I think they have a good mix.  

I have missed some episodes lately though.  I must catch up. (Not sure what happened to Bonnie's boyfriend. I thought they were getting engaged.) 

The show seems to be over so quick. 

• Love 3

Jamie probably gone for a few weeks which explains the new character which has the potential for a short run story arch.    Either ending happily or not.     She'll come back with a kid that she adopted or something.  

I am still waiting for Christy to crash and burn.  

And yes Ritz cracker are "fancy" crackers. 

I was surprised they seem to be writing Natasha and her daughter out of the show.  I really thought since things were bad for them and that apartment was not very nice they would both end up living with Jill.  I am sure Jamie will be back shortly thin again, maybe with a child.  No mention of Adam but I think he and Bonnie are still together.  Unrelated to the episode, I see Violet and Roscoe have been dropped completely now.  I wonder if they will even be mentioned again or have they both gone the way of Chuck Cunningham.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Indeed.  Also, I'm really shocked that a new episode was on Thanksgiving, given all of the other reruns and specials being aired today.  I give CBS props for chancing it despite the holiday.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I've noticed that this show has never done a holiday episode. At least I think they haven't. I just started watching when it started on TV Land but I've caught up on Hulu and don't remember seeing any holiday themed episodes.  That's strange for a show like this. 

• Love 2
On November 24, 2017 at 3:12 PM, LucyEth said:

I see Violet and Roscoe have been dropped completely now.  I wonder if they will even be mentioned again or have they both gone the way of Chuck Cunningham.

We'll know if they've been Chuck Cunninghamed when Bonnie and Adam get married. If they don't appear and their absence isn't explained by a quick line of dialogue, then we will know that they have been completely erased from the show. I could see the writers bringing back the episode for an episode or two each season. 

• Love 2
On 11/24/2017 at 8:51 PM, Maharincess said:

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I've noticed that this show has never done a holiday episode. At least I think they haven't. I just started watching when it started on TV Land but I've caught up on Hulu and don't remember seeing any holiday themed episodes.  That's strange for a show like this. 

I think Octavia Spencer's final episode (the one where she reveals that she's drinking again) was Christmas-themed. IIRC, they were preparing for a sober Christmas dance, and the implication was that Regina would be spending Christmas alone with her booze.

it definitely wasn't a "special Christmas episode" in the tradition of old sitcoms, though.

Re: Jill and the spa - I'm not sure why they didn't just have her say she was going away to lose weight and work on herself, and she wasn't sure when she'd be back. The lost connection thing seemed completely unnecessary. (And why wouldn't the other women just explain that they couldn't hear her?)

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Re: Jill and the spa - I'm not sure why they didn't just have her say she was going away to lose weight and work on herself, and she wasn't sure when she'd be back. The lost connection thing seemed completely unnecessary. (And why wouldn't the other women just explain that they couldn't hear her?)

That was just crazy; why didn't they? It's not like a bad connection would put Jill into a downward spiral of despair!

• Love 4
On 11/24/2017 at 0:12 PM, LucyEth said:

I was surprised they seem to be writing Natasha and her daughter out of the show.  I really thought since things were bad for them and that apartment was not very nice they would both end up living with Jill.  I am sure Jamie will be back.....

I expect that Natasha and her daughter will be back in some form, perhaps after a Natasha Relapse.  Maybe the daughter will turn up on Jill's doorstep later this season.

• Love 4

I haven't watched the whole episode yet, but there is almost no way to go to college and not have internet.  Maybe she isn't attending right now, but still.  I guess it can be done, but it would be really hard to stay caught up as the instructors rely a lot on email and the sites for updates and so on.  

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, kelslamu said:

I haven't watched the whole episode yet, but there is almost no way to go to college and not have internet.  Maybe she isn't attending right now, but still.  I guess it can be done, but it would be really hard to stay caught up as the instructors rely a lot on email and the sites for updates and so on.  

Students without the internet live in the library or coffee shops with the internet.  Email can be sent to the phone if they have a smartphone. Not the most comfortable or convenient, especially for someone who has to work.

• Love 2