Type keyword(s) to search

Current Squad 2017-2018: Media, Music, Videos & Show Group

sleepyjean
  • Start Topic

The test and essay have been mentioned before. In Season Three, some of the girls flunk the test, and Nicole Hamilton got in major trouble with Kelli because she was one of the girls who flunk the test.

I don't think I've watched that far back, I might have gone as far back as season 5 but that's it. I wonder why they don't mention those things on the newer seasons?

I do not know why the essay and test is not mentioned in the later seasons unless you have a bunch of girls flunking the test, or a stand out veteran flunks the test. I think they showed the veterans taking the test on a twitter or facebook, but it was a long time ago.

I really applaud all the DCC cheerleaders past and present ... this sounds like more work than a job interview or even getting into college! Especially if you're international and don't know the rules of the games or our culture. Kudos to them all.

If you don't know the rules to the game or a thing about the sport then why do you want to cheer for the team? I'd cut those girls, too.

Edited by RazzleberryPie

Hey there! Long time lurker first time poster (which means this is probably the wrong thread).

I've seen several videos throughout the years as well as coverage on MTT of show group routines. They seem to never change! Is this simply because they don't want to show too much of their routines or because Judy just really loves that choreography? I'm not a dancer by any means so maybe this is common?

If you don't know the rules to the game or a thing about the sport then why do you want to cheer for the team? I'd cut those girls, too.

When Jinelle first tried out she said that she's from AUS so it's hard for her to know the differences in rules but she's wants to learn etc etc etc.  Kelli smiled at the answer so I guess they're fine with it.  Not saying she didn't know anything before trying out but it certainly was an effort

• Love 1

Hey there! Long time lurker first time poster (which means this is probably the wrong thread).

I've seen several videos throughout the years as well as coverage on MTT of show group routines. They seem to never change! Is this simply because they don't want to show too much of their routines or because Judy just really loves that choreography? I'm not a dancer by any means so maybe this is common?

They're going to say it's 'tradition', but seriously, I think they just love that choreography and wear it out, especially with show group.One reason I like the Fireball dance (someone had on youtube i think) is because the choreography was a lot fresher. Not a fan of the song, but liked the change.

They're going to say it's 'tradition', but seriously, I think they just love that choreography and wear it out, especially with show group.One reason I like the Fireball dance (someone had on youtube i think) is because the choreography was a lot fresher. Not a fan of the song, but liked the change.

DIdn't someone on the TWoP board (a supposed insider) say something about how Judy had tried to teach new choreography a few years ago and the girls just couldn't get it so she stopped and they went back to the old faithfuls? I may totally be mis-remembering that. But I remember thinking, really? the girls couldn't do better than Thunderstruck??

• Love 1

That seems nuts to me. All these girls with all these years of dance training, and all the choreo they have to learn during training camp, and they can't pick up brand new material? I thought they were "the best of the best."

• Love 1

DIdn't someone on the TWoP board (a supposed insider) say something about how Judy had tried to teach new choreography a few years ago and the girls just couldn't get it so she stopped and they went back to the old faithfuls? I may totally be mis-remembering that. But I remember thinking, really? the girls couldn't do better than Thunderstruck??

Again, not a dancer (excluding champagne induced dance parties) so maybe I'm wrong but it seems if they really are such "world class performers" and obviously they are all incredibly talented dancers learning a few new routines a year wouldn't be too tough. Also, some of the longer tenured dancers (esp show group gals) must get bored with the same stuff! I think that's why I love seeing the solo routines from finals so much-- unique choreography!

exactly!  and they seem to pick up Michelle Key's choreography just fine ... hmmm, Judy, me thinketh perhaps you just can't come up with  good choreography?

That seems nuts to me. All these girls with all these years of dance training, and all the choreo they have to learn during training camp, and they can't pick up brand new material? I thought they were "the best of the best."

I don't know what the truth of that was! I was able to read old TWoP stuff through the wayback machine and not every page showed up so it was only from what I could put together that the girl who said that was an insider... maybe she misunderstood or something because I agree, crazy.  

I don't think we ever actually see Judy choreographing anything. She's just there to watch the girls do the dances and make sure they're doing it correctly. The only thing I've seen her choreograph is the field entrance.

I don't think we ever actually see Judy choreographing anything. She's just there to watch the girls do the dances and make sure they're doing it correctly. The only thing I've seen her choreograph is the field entrance.

So how exactly is she the choreographer?  Love ya Jules, but I think we need new and more talented / fresh blood ... Michelle Keys would be great!  Although not sure her style is "DCC"

So how exactly is she the choreographer?  Love ya Jules, but I think we need new and more talented / fresh blood ... Michelle Keys would be great!  Although not sure her style is "DCC"

That's exactly my point lol. Idk maybe she choreographed the dances in the past so she knows how they're supposed to be? I'm pretty sure they could get Stephanie Wheat from the Allen Ice Angels if they really wanted a new choreographer. She's the one who did the "little red wagon" dance.

Yes. It was that year they had a 'weaker' team - lots of great girls but not the technical dancers they have now. 

I'm pretty sure they could get Stephanie Wheat from the Allen Ice Angels if they really wanted a new choreographer. She's the one who did the "little red wagon" dance.

Loved that dance!! Very fun to watch!!

That was probably Cassie saying that.

Stephanie's latest piece,"Hustlin" is SO fun!! Jenna posted several videos from it last week and it so makes me wish I could dance lol I love Stephanie's choreography and she seems like such a sweet person. 

I would be very surprised if that whole thing about "not being able to learn the dances" was true.  To me, it was more likely that whatever dances were attempted didn't go over well (whether with the girls, the fans, whoever) and thus were dropped.  I wouldn't be surprised if Judy would rather blame the girls for "not being able to learn the dances" rather than admit "her" dances are beyond stale and nearly to petrified or fossil.  All about the ego, you know?

I would be very surprised if that whole thing about "not being able to learn the dances" was true.  To me, it was more likely that whatever dances were attempted didn't go over well (whether with the girls, the fans, whoever) and thus were dropped.  I wouldn't be surprised if Judy would rather blame the girls for "not being able to learn the dances" rather than admit "her" dances are beyond stale and nearly to petrified or fossil.  All about the ego, you know?

This. It was a sideline dance and it was awful. The girls knew it but it was never used.

We don't SEE it, but she definitely does. The group leaders are technically her "assistants" when it comes to choreographing anything new.

She used to get up and teach at auditions. I posted a video of that a while back, I think. (I can't remember how long ago that was.)  I think age (and the plethora of assistants) are a factor. She's in her 50s, now right? Close to 60? As far as I can tell, she doesn't do much dancing herself. It's probably been a while since she danced anything full out herself and I suspect the kind of "teaching" she does these days are mostly dances with the same moves combined in different ways, where she doesn't have to demonstrate the full movement. She can just say "do sexy hips here" and everyone knows what she's talking about, without her having to show how its done. 

I can't see her learning or doing anything like the choreo Stephanie D-Wheat did.She probably had to have one of the captains learn it and teach it to everyone else.

IMO there's nothing wrong with the fact that Judy doesn't get up and teach anymore. She's not old by any means, but she was a dancer for years and has put in a lot of years with the DCC. We don't know what kind of physical ailments she may or may not have that might keep her from dancing. Her job isn't to dance anymore, and that is the reason she has assistants.

Comparing her to Stephanie Dibiase-Wheat also doesn't make sense since Stephanie is younger. Obviously their choreography and teaching styles will be different.

• Love 1

Comparing her to Stephanie Dibiase-Wheat also doesn't make sense since Stephanie is younger. Obviously their choreography and teaching styles will be different.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing the two! Just saying if they really wanted a new choreographer, they could get her.

Judy certainly doesn't look like she's suffering from any physical ailments that would prevent her from getting up and dancing/demonstrating - in one of the recent shows she was walking around in a shorter skirt/shorts and bare legs and the woman has the legs of a 25 year old. I was impressed by how fit her body looked for her age - especially her legs.

Judy certainly doesn't look like she's suffering from any physical ailments that would prevent her from getting up and dancing/demonstrating - in one of the recent shows she was walking around in a shorter skirt/shorts and bare legs and the woman has the legs of a 25 year old. I was impressed by how fit her body looked for her age - especially her legs.

Which is why I said ailments she may or may not have. You can't always tell by looking at someone though. Maybe she does, maybe she doesn't. Regardless of that her job doesn't require her to dance at her age and I'm sure the group leaders have no issues demonstrating the choreography.

I don't think judy is ready to break out the walker yet, but choreography isn't just dance moves. She does a lot with sound, lighting, costuming, etc and should probably be called something more like artistic director and choreographer.

I don't think judy is ready to break out the walker yet, but choreography isn't just dance moves. She does a lot with sound, lighting, costuming, etc and should probably be called something more like artistic director and choreographer.

Agree. But I didn't say anything about a walker. For instance if she has bad knees or hips she would be less inclined to get up and demonstrate. All I'm getting at. ;) My dad had a double knee replacement and you wouldn't know it by looking at him in every day life, but it drastically changed his exercise routine.

I just wish we could get fresher routines for these girls, though I would hope that Judy does NOT choreograph them.  Frankly, to me, it lacks imagination if all you can do is move 8-counts around, especially if you tout yourself as a choreographer. Not all dancers can (or should) be choreographers and not all choreographers are dancers (though they should be or have been to understand how the movement feels and should be executed).  I think Judy is on the "Does OK choreography, but it's not that great".

It would be great if they would retire a few of the most overused and out-of-date stuff each year and replace it with new stuff, then that would be great.  It likely won't happen until tradition has beaten all possible life and hope out of the routines.

• Love 1

Beyond that even-- the show group costumes are the same. I get the uniforms and even holiday outfits not changing. But the classic rock routine, and a few snipits I've see on MTT of other SG routines seem to never change. Is this common on other Dallas squads? (I.e. mavs Ice Angels)

The DCC were on wrestle mania tonight doing a player tunnel entrance for The Rock. It was at AT&T Stadium so that makes sense, and every seat was filled! I'm not a wrestling fan/watcher but my boyfriend was scrolling through the highlights on Twitter and showed me because he knows I love DCC. Anyhow, I don't have a link and he is saying he doesn't think he can find it again so I apologize.

I think Jennifer deserves to be point...she is technically wonderful and a lot of fun to watch.  She's shown great leadership and is a K&J favorite.  I feel like the only thing holding her back is she may not be considered 'glam' enough to be at the point...we shall see. I'm honestly not sure who they'd pick if not her... Jessica is a gorgeous and a great dancer but that seems like kind of a random choice and she is also pretty short, like Jenna.  Have Erica or Melissa been there long enough?  I do think they will both move up in the triangle. 

Erika would make a great point, but I don't think she's far up enough now in the traingle to move to point. It's got to be Jenn K. - I agree she's not very sexy/glam/hot as most, if not all, of the point girls, but either K&J don't agree, or they don't care. I think she's a shoe in to get it.

I honestly don't think there's any question about Jenn K. being point. If it's not her I'll eat my right arm! I agree that she fully deserves it, and I think while she might not be glam, she is beautiful in her own right. I never found Whitney particularly attractive, but she was a great dancer and made a fabulous point.

• Love 3

Wow, that video really made me appreciate the way the white in their uniforms really pops on the field. The routine just doesn't read as well from the stands when everyone is wearing different outfits. It just looks like a muddle of grey and blue.

Huh, that video is not great. They don't even look like they're all doing the same moves a lot of the time. So out of sync. There's also a lot of Jordan Baum in that video, and she did not look good, especially with Ashton right beside her.