Type keyword(s) to search

S.W.A.T. in the Media

• Start Topic

As per Deadline, Patrick St. Esprit- Commander Robert Hicks- has been promoted to series regular for Season 2. Which is not a surprise considering he was practically a regular last season.

I do wonder if this means Hicks will start getting some meaty stories. The character certainly has the potential for some- we do know he is a widower, for instance.

• Love 1

For those who know Derek Morgan very well, SWAT has hired a familiar face:

https://tvline.com/2019/11/05/swat-season-3-rochelle-aytes-cast/

I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm guessing Shemar Moore really liked working with Rochelle Aytes so he wants to bring her back (he's done this with a few former Criminal Minds alums, like Patrick St. Esprit and Meredith Monroe), but, though I liked Savannah on CM, I wasn't too particularly sold on her romantic chemistry with Morgan. Maybe this time will be different because we will likely get more than just the "fluff scenes" we got on CM, but I still have reservations.

Besides, I really think if Hondo should hook up with someone it's Nia Wells (played by Nikiva Dionne), the sharp-witted DA who knew how to keep Hondo on his toes. Those two really worked well together and I could buy them in a relationship. Besides, I think Dionne is extremely talented and deserves a bigger role.

We'll see. Aytes makes her SWAT debut on November 13.

• Love 1
On 11/5/2019 at 5:10 PM, Danielg342 said:

For those who know Derek Morgan very well, SWAT has hired a familiar face:

https://tvline.com/2019/11/05/swat-season-3-rochelle-aytes-cast/

I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm guessing Shemar Moore really liked working with Rochelle Aytes so he wants to bring her back (he's done this with a few former Criminal Minds alums, like Patrick St. Esprit and Meredith Monroe), but, though I liked Savannah on CM, I wasn't too particularly sold on her romantic chemistry with Morgan. Maybe this time will be different because we will likely get more than just the "fluff scenes" we got on CM, but I still have reservations.

Besides, I really think if Hondo should hook up with someone it's Nia Wells (played by Nikiva Dionne), the sharp-witted DA who knew how to keep Hondo on his toes. Those two really worked well together and I could buy them in a relationship. Besides, I think Dionne is extremely talented and deserves a bigger role.

We'll see. Aytes makes her SWAT debut on November 13.

I agree that the character Nia Wells was a great match with Hondo. They had great chemistry and she did a good job of handling him. Time will tell how it will be with Aytes as his potential new love interest!

On 12/18/2019 at 7:30 PM, marykat71702 said:

Does anyone know why Hulu isn't playing Season 3? I just found this show recently and finished through Season 2, but now I can't catch up with Season 3 😞 .

I would hazard to guess that CBS is holding it for All Access subscribers only

• Love 2
On 12/18/2019 at 9:30 PM, marykat71702 said:

Does anyone know why Hulu isn't playing Season 3? I just found this show recently and finished through Season 2, but now I can't catch up with Season 3 😞 .

Hulu is never going to stream the current season of a CBS show. CBS is the one network that doesn't have this agreement with Hulu since they have their own streaming service, CBS All-Access. So Season 3 won't be available on Hulu until late August, early September, when CBS All-Access removes the episodes.

On 5/7/2020 at 9:25 AM, Raja said:

I would hazard to guess that CBS is holding it for All Access subscribers only

3 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

Hulu is never going to stream the current season of a CBS show. CBS is the one network that doesn't have this agreement with Hulu since they have their own streaming service, CBS All-Access. So Season 3 won't be available on Hulu until late August, early September, when CBS All-Access removes the episodes.

Thanks for the info. I finally caved and got the access, so am in the process of catching up.

'SWAT': Why Was Kenny Johnson Missing from the CBS Show? (newsweek.com):

While the fictional Luca was dealing with an injury, Johnson's absence from the show came as he was engaged in legal action with Sony Pictures Television over an injury he claims he sustained in real life while being pulled through the air hanging off the landing gear of a helicopter while filming the show.

Interesting. I'm trying to rack my brain to figure out which episode this occurred in. Anyone want to take a stab at this?

• Useful 3
7 hours ago, Maverick said:

Oh, so they're essentially announcing this is the final season.  

We'll see. If I recall correctly, NCIS: New Orleans and the original CSI had a few seasons on Sunday night.

• Love 2
(edited)

CBS’s Sunday 10pm slot is a terrible time slot, particularly for viewers, as whatever show is in there gets frequently delayed because of football. I add an hour padding for a CBS Sunday 10pm show, if I’m watching it, on my DVR’s season pass just in case the show runs over its time slot, which is frequent. Given the lateness of the hour, it’s hard to catch manually. So I don’t hold high hopes for SWAT, especially given an initial move to Fridays, then a later move to late on Sundays. Though 10pm in general is a tough slot these days and SWAT has been holding that pretty well for awhile

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 2
On 5/19/2021 at 6:35 PM, Danielg342 said:

We'll see. If I recall correctly, NCIS: New Orleans and the original CSI had a few seasons on Sunday night.

They had a few seasons, but it was essentially the beginning of the end. CSI: Miami lasted just 2 more seasons, with countless delays after being moved to Sunday nights. NCIS: New Orleans is another casualty after 3 seasons on Sunday nights. And CSI moved to Sunday night in its final season, and suffered delays to the point where episodes were actually pushed to the next week because of the Sunday line-up getting pushed so late due to football.

Really, they would have been better off  moving this to Paramount+ as well.

20 minutes ago, WinJet0819 said:

They had a few seasons, but it was essentially the beginning of the end. CSI: Miami lasted just 2 more seasons, with countless delays after being moved to Sunday nights. NCIS: New Orleans is another casualty after 3 seasons on Sunday nights. And CSI moved to Sunday night in its final season, and suffered delays to the point where episodes were actually pushed to the next week because of the Sunday line-up getting pushed so late due to football.

Really, they would have been better off  moving this to Paramount+ as well.

Seeing where the ratings are, my gut tells me this show really only has a year and a half left anyway. It needs 16 episodes to get to 100- a milestone I'm sure CBS wants to pass- and the standard Hollywood "start-of-series" contract runs for six seasons, so I think we're getting a full S5 followed by a S6 of maybe 13 episodes that ends the show.

Which I would be OK with. It already far surpassed the original's episode count, and very few shows get to 100 episodes anyway. Personally, being Canadian I don't know if I get Paramount+ up here but I don't know if I'd want it anyway, since paying for all these streaming services is quite the expenditure. Plus I think creatively shows almost always crest after six or seven seasons anyway, so there's no need to run this past its prime. I watched Criminal Minds for all 15 seasons and the last six or seven seasons I only tuned in out of loyalty. I, at least, want S.W.A.T. to end well before it gets to that point.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Seeing where the ratings are, my gut tells me this show really only has a year and a half left anyway. It needs 16 episodes to get to 100- a milestone I'm sure CBS wants to pass- and the standard Hollywood "start-of-series" contract runs for six seasons, so I think we're getting a full S5 followed by a S6 of maybe 13 episodes that ends the show.

Which I would be OK with. It already far surpassed the original's episode count, and very few shows get to 100 episodes anyway. Personally, being Canadian I don't know if I get Paramount+ up here but I don't know if I'd want it anyway, since paying for all these streaming services is quite the expenditure. Plus I think creatively shows almost always crest after six or seven seasons anyway, so there's no need to run this past its prime. I watched Criminal Minds for all 15 seasons and the last six or seven seasons I only tuned in out of loyalty. I, at least, want S.W.A.T. to end well before it gets to that point.

Since the show seems hell-bent on pushing a Street-Alonso romance, when it's good enough not to need it, and just detracts from the actual excitement of the cases, the show ending sooner rather than later, wouldn't be the worst thing.

• Love 2
On 7/12/2021 at 3:40 PM, DanaK said:

Season 5 premieres October 1 https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/07/cbs-announces-fall-2021-2022-primetime.html

Then its timeslot is taken over by The Activist documentary series for 6 or so weeks starting October 22 and SWAT returns December 3. Weird scheduling

Update: Given The Activist series imploded due to protests, it looks like SWAT will continue on in its Friday timeslot for now according to The Futon Critic, though it will likely have reruns at times

• Useful 2

From TVLine Inside Line

Can you please give us anything on the 100th episode of S.W.A.T.? –Patricia

Ohhh, it promises to be a doozy! Currently penciled in to air Sunday, April 10, the milestone hour will find Hondo framed for killing two fellow officers, after which he goes on the run to clear his name. (You can also expect the return of a bad guy from the series’ past….)

• Love 3

S.W.A.T.'s Lina Esco Previews Her Musically 'Different' Directorial Debut, to Be Followed by 'Crazy' Episode 100

TVLINE | Following your episode, on April 10, is S.W.A.T.’s 100th….

Matt, I can’t believe it. I never in a million years though I was going to be hitting 100 episodes. These five years blasted by fast. The episode I directed was No. 99, so as I was wrapping my episode we were starting to shoot our 100th, and I was already emotional because I had so much fun directing…. It was just a lot. I’ve been really emotional about where we’re at now and opposed to how far we’ve come. It’s all beautiful, actually.

TVLINE | I heard the plot for the 100th episode is pretty intense, with Hondo framed for the murder of two fellow officers.
Yeah, that’s going to be a crazy episode. That’s going to be full-blown action, with every toy you could possibly imagine in terms of action, cameras, drones… everything.

• Love 1

TV Line, Matt's Inside Line

Anything you can tell us about the relationship between S.W.A.T.‘s Chris and Street? –Jenny

Lina Esco, like “Stris” fans, is hoping the season ends with some resolved sexual tension. “I’ve heard about the whole ‘Stris’ phenomenon and how the fans want this unrequited love that’s been simmering for five seasons and is so tumultuous” to pay off, she told me. “I hope that we can give the fans that fix that they need. We have three more [episodes] to shoot and I haven’t seen the scripts, but I’m hoping they do something.”

• Love 3

I don't know why "Stris" can't just be content with being friends...I mean, even in today's day and age, friends still have sex with each other.

Anyhow...not sure I want the show to pursue the consummation of the relationship until the series finale. I'm just not sure a relationship on the team is such a good idea.

• Love 3
On 4/1/2022 at 8:36 PM, Danielg342 said:

I don't know why "Stris" can't just be content with being friends...I mean, even in today's day and age, friends still have sex with each other.

Anyhow...not sure I want the show to pursue the consummation of the relationship until the series finale. I'm just not sure a relationship on the team is such a good idea.

I agree that a relationship in the team is bad news.  I also feel like two people who are single and available and attracted to each other would have had sex already.  They would not necessarily be in a relationship that is against the rules at  their job, but they would either do more than kiss or they would move on.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 3
On 4/1/2022 at 7:36 PM, Danielg342 said:

Thankfully, Lina Esco chose to leave so they won't have to pursue it. 

• Love 2

David Lim posted this on his verified Facebook profile. For those who can't see it:

That’s a wrap in Thailand!

A month long journey comes to an end. Couldn’t think of a better group to do it with. Shout out to our Thai crew for busting their asses in the heat and humidity to make us look good.

Khop khun kaa!

#SWAT #Season6 #Thailand

298282170_473950121221011_24856777148781

So, it looks like at least part of Season 6 will take place in Thailand (note the Thai SWAT officer character in this picture), Nichelle will find her way over there and somehow- my guess after overcoming some baddie in a fight- Hondo gets a nasty boo-boo. Perhaps it's another vacation episode where Hondo and Nichelle saw the crime and thus can't actually participate in official duties, which is why Hondo is not in uniform and Tan and Deacon are.

We'll see. No word yet on who replaces Lina Esco in the cast. I also don't know how many episodes they shot in Thailand but I assume it's more than one.

ETA- Since this post is also on his Instagram, I figured out, if anyone wanted to know, who the Thai actor is. His name is Nutt Devahastin, and, according to IMDB, he's been acting in his native Thailand since 2012. IMDB doesn't yet have the listing for his episode of SWAT but I assume since he's in costume he appears in the episodes shot in Thailand in some capacity.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Some more pictures, these from Jay Harrington on Facebook. This profile doesn't have the verified checkmark that Harrington's profile has on Instagram, but these pictures couldn't have come from someone who was not on the S.W.A.T. set, so I am assuming this post is from the real Harrington:

Link

298614562_157111756904800_73305212850616

298762642_157111793571463_76206475463556

I'm also going to post these in the Speculation thread since I've got some specific thoughts on what this could mean, story-wise, in Season 6.

• Like 1
  • Love 2