Type keyword(s) to search

S.W.A.T. in the Media

• Start Topic

Don't know why we're not going to see Hondo's and Nichelle's wedding. I would have thought that's how the series would have ended.

I'm sad that Street and Luca have been demoted, but the truth is I feel like everyone other than Hondo, really, have been "demoted" for the past few seasons. As long as they're not disfigured or dead and their lives move in a positive direction, I'm OK with how their stories end.

• Like 1

The opening credits for the premiere are depressing.  I really hope Kenny and Alex are happy about their recurring status and it allows them to do other things they want to do.

I think Shemar and the producers keep openly referring to this as "if this is really our last season," like ratings and (my guess) maybe the impact of the strike on this year's pilots might keep SWAT on the air, but I do not want a second season with this pared down team.  I don't know if ratings will take a hit because of the departures.  I like everyone who's left, but it's incomplete to me and not a good sign of what's going on with the allotted budget.

The obvious guess for how Street's storyline ends is he leaves to be with Chris, and maybe they leave LA altogether, like maybe Chris wants to set up another safehouse in another state and Street is happy to go with her.  I don't know about Luca - but I feel like they might write him going to San Diego to be with his real-life daughter, like maybe he ends up dating her mom and decides this is the commitment he wants but has always had trouble making in the past.

Neither character has to leave LA necessarily, but it would be weird to write two die-hards off the SWAT team at the same time while saying they stayed in the area.

• Like 1

Street will be back on March 8 via episode 7x05 - "End of the Road". 💙

Please don't kill him. Please don't kill him.

A SWAT writer has tweeted that the 2x SWAT episodes airing on March 8 are NOT technically a two-parter - LINK

SWAT S07 E05 Info.jpg

• Like 1

Was looking up something about season 7 and read this:

”Lina Esco's return as Chris in S.W.A.T. season 7 is questionable. Show producer Dettman is unsure of Esco's return for the show's finale but highlights her important role in Street's life. Esco left the show in season 5 to pursue other projects and hasn't been involved in any movies or shows since then.”

I know there was a strike but it’s kinda surprising how often we see this.  Someone leaves an established role on a show to pursue “other projects” and then they are out of work for years. I guess I don’t understand it.  It must be difficult in Hollywood to line up other things when you’re working on a show but why leave a show if you don’t know you have something else?

2 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Was looking up something about season 7 and read this:

”Lina Esco's return as Chris in S.W.A.T. season 7 is questionable. Show producer Dettman is unsure of Esco's return for the show's finale but highlights her important role in Street's life. Esco left the show in season 5 to pursue other projects and hasn't been involved in any movies or shows since then.”

I know there was a strike but it’s kinda surprising how often we see this.  Someone leaves an established role on a show to pursue “other projects” and then they are out of work for years. I guess I don’t understand it.  It must be difficult in Hollywood to line up other things when you’re working on a show but why leave a show if you don’t know you have something else?

I hope she can find a way back for S7...it would stink not seeing her again, given how long she was with the show.

As for why she'd leave without having anything lined up...well, I don't know her personally but my guess is that, like all of us from time to time, she needed a break and didn't want to commit herself to going back until she felt like she wanted to. Maybe she felt after S5 that she felt that she would make enough in residuals that she wouldn't need to get back to work right away.

Plus, I imagine having "made it" in Hollywood, Lina Esco thinks that she's got enough clout that she could easily get another project. Kind of like how someone who's a former WWE star almost always never has trouble finding a new gig simply because of having the prestige of having "made it" to the top level.

Sure, Lina may, unfortunately, have trouble getting a big role in another big Hollywood project, because that tends to happen with just about everyone after their first big series...but it doesn't mean she can't find work.

The whole "pursuing other projects" is likely just a standard answer so that the actor doesn't have to say "I just want a break", because that might make them sound lazy. My guess is that Lina, after five years of her character getting nowhere, just got tired and needed a break from the series.

Hopefully she'll turn up again somewhere.

According to Shemar, S08 will have 22 episodes!

SOURCE - IG

SWAT FAM!!!!!! The dream continues all because of YOU the FANS!!!! We love y’all and wouldn’t be here without your continued love and support!!! Thank you to @cbstv and @sptv for believing in us !! Season 8 here we come!!! FILL THE GAPS …. Let me hear say the rest Fam!!! #rollswat #season8

(A caption from Shemar's IG)

• Like 1

Colour me shocked...maybe I shouldn't be. It was still a ratings winner and a proven brand in a TV landscape devoid of both, and arguably the show is cheaper to make now so CBS realized the economics work for another season, and maybe beyond.

...but...

Is this right move? Creatively I'm not sure the show has much left. We said goodbye to Street and Luca thinking this was the final season. Potentially, we're saying goodbye to Deacon too, meaning that S8 could have only two original regular cast members- Shemar Moore and David Lim- from the pilot, and three originals if we're counting Patrick St. Esprit (who was recurring in S1 and is practically a recurring character now).

So what does it mean for S8? Are we really going to be stuck with a team of Hondo, Tan, Alfaro, Powell and The Reject-of-the-Week from 50-Squad?

Or is CBS going to hire a new cast member in an attempt to "freshen" the series?

Obviously, I'd rather have Street and Luca back- and even more ideally, Cortez and Christina as well- but I feel like that's a remote possibility.

So that leaves me with having to accept the current cast for S8 (who are a really underwhelming group) or accepting whom CBS will hire to round out the cast for S8.

A new character could be a great idea but I cringe at what they'll come up with. Are we going to get a sad attempt at "wokeness" where the new character ticks all the "diversity" boxes in a misguided attempt to make the show look "inclusive" and "progressive"? Are we going to get a character who's a Mary Sue that can do no wrong and makes everyone, even Hondo, look like a chump?

Are we going to get both?

I shudder to think about it.

Yeah, I shouldn't throw S8 under the bus before it begins, but usually Hollywood series by this point are not creative goldmines. Shows by this point are all about staying profitable and maintaining the brand, so writers take fewer risks and experiment very little.

So I doubt that whatever we'll get for S8 will be much of an improvement, if it will be an improvement at all. I might still watch because I've been here from the beginning and I'll stick it out to the end, but I feel the show's already far past it's peak and they've made a grave mistake extending this further.

• Like 2

Nichelle should be kept at a minimum and reduced to recurring in season 8, like Annie.

Most importantly, please get rid off Powell, Cabrera and Alfaro. Stop shoving them down our throats!

spacer.png

• Like 2
On 4/11/2024 at 7:19 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Most importantly, please get rid off Powell, Cabrera and Alfaro. Stop shoving them down our throats!

I have nothing against any of those characters. They don’t have much character development because they haven’t had a chance, but that means they also don’t annoy me. And if it’s not them, then it will be some other new people that the show introduces to us.

Even if Deacon stays, the crew is going to need more than just Hondo, Deacon, and Tan. They might as well fill out the roster with people we’ve seen before. 

• Like 1

The problem I have with Powell, Alfaro, Cabrera, et all is that I feel I have no reason to care about them. They're just bland "robots" who are just there to execute the plot.

Yeah, they may be "inoffensive" but "inoffensive" isn't the same thing as "interesting". I'll grant that, perhaps the characters may get some character building later because the writers wrote this season as if it were the last one, but I also feel that each of the characters should have at least started with some kind of "hook" to get us in to them.

To be clear, I'm not saying I need some deep characterization, but I might have liked knowing that, say, Miguel Alfaro is there because his family was ruined by gangbangers so he's a police officer to set things right.

I also think the other part is- with all due respect to Niko Pepaj, Anna Enger-Richt and Brigitte Kali Canales- I don't find them particularly that strong as actors. Kenny Johnson, Alex Russell, Lina Esco and Jay Harrington run circles around them and it's not even close. The newer cohort seems fine when all they're tasked with is holding the fort for an episode or two, but I'm not sure I could ask any of them to carry a series or even just a single episode.

Which is a big issue. If you're going ask me to watch these actors for 22 episodes, then I want actors in there who will be comfortable taking centre stage.

So S8 needs some changes on the cast front, even if Harrington stays. 'Cause I don't just want characters I care about- I want some actors I would genuinely enjoy following too.

• Applause 1

S.W.A.T. Vet Says ‘Series Finale’ Left Things ‘Wide Open,’ Even Ahead of Surprise Un-Cancellation

“Look, it was presented to us as definitively final. But I’ve always said, as I talk to the actors and the other writers here, everybody holds out hope. Your show’s not gone till your show’s gone, right? So, we’re approaching it to make it a wonderful farewell if that turns out to be what it is.”

Andrew Dettmann (showrunner)

“I just read the last episode, because I asked Andy [Dettman] if I could read it and so I did, and, you know, it’s a great last episode but it definitely leaves it open. There’s not a definitive ending where everyone takes off somewhere. They kind of leave it where there is definitely a possibility — if somebody wants to go on with it, or however they do it — that that could happen.”

- Kenny Johnson (Dominique Luca)

CBS Reveals Finale Spoilers for 20 Shows, Including S.W.A.T., NCIS, CSI: Vegas and #TheFBIs — See Schedule

FRIDAY, MAY 17
8 pm S.W.A.T. series finale Season 7 finale

Spoiler

SWAT faces their deadliest adversary yet when a violent cell of extremists looks to extract vengeance by blowing up half of Los Angeles, potentially killing thousands. Still reeling from the anger and outrage directed at him by his own community, Hondo questions if he still has what it takes to lead 20-Squad.