Type keyword(s) to search

S.W.A.T. in the Media

• Start Topic

I don't know if it's too early to post the episode thread, but we do now have a press release for the sixth season premiere:

(Source)

"Thai Hard" - During a trip to Bangkok to train alongside Thailand's premiere S.W.A.T. team, Hondo and his former military buddy Joe (guest star Sean Maguire) stumble upon a wide-ranging heroin operation with ties to Los Angeles and find themselves on the run from a powerful drug kingpin

Still no word yet on who replaces Lina Esco on the team, though I'll note the cast list includes Zoe Powell (played by Anna Enger Ritch), best known as the recruit who disobeyed orders and drew parallels to Street, who tried to coach her out of her recalcitrant tendencies. We'll have to see how Episode 2 shapes up to see if Powell's addition is permanent, or if we're going to get a rotating cast of replacements until one is selected.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, DanaK said:

One other note, also from The Futon Critic: the fall portion of the schedule resumes this Friday with the show skipping Black Friday and then returning to air for two more weeks before taking the break until January 6.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

One other note, also from The Futon Critic: the fall portion of the schedule resumes this Friday with the show skipping Black Friday and then returning to air for two more weeks before taking the break until January 6.

Yep, the Futon Critic is now showing that Dec 9 is the Fall finale

S.W.A.T. Midseason Finale Post Mortem: Jay Harrington Talks Deacon's Family & Impactful Storytelling

TV Fanatic got to chat with Deacon Kay himself, Jay Harrington, about the storyline on S.W.A.T. Season 6 Episode 8 and the emotional aspects that came along with it. We also chatted about the possibility of it having a deeper impact on the series and what it could all mean for Deacon moving forward. Have a look!

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 1

‘Blue Bloods‘, ’S.W.A.T.’ & ‘East New York’ Did Not Get Early Renewals By CBS – Here Is Why

S.W.A.T., headlined by Shemar Moore, is a rare series to tick up in viewership year-to-year after its move to Fridays this season where the drama has flourished. A co-production between lead Sony Pictures TV and CBS Studios, S.W.A.T., like Blue Bloods, had previously received early renewals. I hear talks for a seventh season have recently started and there are no major hurdles, with sources optimistic that a compromise on budget and other points would be reached.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Useful 1

CBS' S.W.A.T. Is the Bubble Show You Most Want to See Renewed — See the Complete TVLine Poll Results

And as of today at 11 am ET, when our poll closed with nearly 200,000 votes, it was CBS’ action-packed Friday-night procedural that led the standings with 15 percent of your votes. (Feeling déjà vu? S.W.A.T. previously topped this annual poll in 2020.)

S.W.A.T. Season 6 thus far is averaging 6.8 million total viewers and a 0.7 demo rating (with Live+7 playback) — up in viewers and off just a tenth in the demo compared to its Season 5 tallies. Out of the 14 dramas that CBS has aired this TV season, it ranks No. 10 in total audience but is in a five-way tie for third in the demo, trailing only Fire Country and FBI.

• Love 1

😥😥😥

S.W.A.T. EP Reveals What's Holding Up Season 7 Renewal at CBS (and It's Not What You Think)

Longtime S.W.A.T. executive producer and former day-to-day showrunner Shawn Ryan addressed the series’ in-limbo status as a guest on THR’s latest TV’s Top 5 podcast, where he also discussed his new thriller, Netflix’s The Night Agent, and what to expect from the WGA negotiations as the May 1 deadline inches near.

Comparing his long-ago experiences with broadcast shows such as The Unit, Ryan said that network TV in 2023 “is not the same place, the economics are completely different.

“Right now, it’s up in the air whether S.W.A.T.will get picked up for a seventh season,” he shared, “and that has nothing to do with ratings.”

S.W.A.T. right now is the No. 3 show, I think, or tied for third, for CBS in the demo,” Ryan correctly noted during his podcast hit. “There’s no reason why the show shouldn’t be picked up other than the economics of the business are changing, and CBS and [lead producer] Sony [Pictures Television] will or will not figure out a way to economically make a seventh season work.”

5 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

😥😥😥

S.W.A.T. EP Reveals What's Holding Up Season 7 Renewal at CBS (and It's Not What You Think)

Longtime S.W.A.T. executive producer and former day-to-day showrunner Shawn Ryan addressed the series’ in-limbo status as a guest on THR’s latest TV’s Top 5 podcast, where he also discussed his new thriller, Netflix’s The Night Agent, and what to expect from the WGA negotiations as the May 1 deadline inches near.

Comparing his long-ago experiences with broadcast shows such as The Unit, Ryan said that network TV in 2023 “is not the same place, the economics are completely different.

“Right now, it’s up in the air whether S.W.A.T.will get picked up for a seventh season,” he shared, “and that has nothing to do with ratings.”

S.W.A.T. right now is the No. 3 show, I think, or tied for third, for CBS in the demo,” Ryan correctly noted during his podcast hit. “There’s no reason why the show shouldn’t be picked up other than the economics of the business are changing, and CBS and [lead producer] Sony [Pictures Television] will or will not figure out a way to economically make a seventh season work.”

Not at all surprising given how other shows have been canceled because they aren't owned by CBS and couldn't come to terms. It would not entirely surprise me if the show got moved to Paramount+ like Seal Team did

Edited by DanaK

CBS Renewal Status Report: ‘Blue Bloods’, ‘S.W.A.T.’, ‘East New York’ & ‘True Lies’

[excerpts from the article]

S.W.A.T., headlined by Shemar Moore, is a rare series to rise in viewership year-to-year following its move to Fridays this season, where the drama has flourished. A co-production between Sony Pictures TV and CBS Studios, S.W.A.T., like Blue Bloods, previously had received early renewals.

But I hear those early renewals the last few years came with CBS keeping the license fee unchanged, which has put more and more pressure on the budget and further squeezed the show’s profit margins as costs increase every year. I hear the lead studio Sony is not willing to go for another renewal at a flat license fee (which is the amount of money a network pays to a studio for its programming) as that would compromise the show’s production quality and financial model. 

I hear there had been preliminary conversations, but CBS is yet to start formal renewal negotiation and the network’s exclusive window on the show might have expired. Still, sources are hopeful that the network would step up to keep S.W.A.T. on the air.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
21 minutes ago, juno said:

Disappointed would be an understatement. I mean, I'm not sure the show had much left creatively but it was still a watchable show. It sure had more life than many other shows that Hollywood thinks are viable.

Maybe getting to S8 or beyond would be too much...but I would have at least hoped we would have gotten a S7, no matter how truncated, to give the series a proper sendoff.

I'll miss this show immensely.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
10 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Disappointed would be an understatement. I mean, I'm not sure the show had much left creatively but it was still a watchable show. It sure had more life than many other shows that Hollywood thinks are viable.

Maybe getting to S8 or beyond would be too much...but I would have at least hoped we would have gotten a S7, no matter how truncated, to give the series a proper sendoff.

I'll miss this show immensely.

sad for all the fans. It looks like the hammer is coming down now on all the shows.

• Sad 3

In the video posted on his Instagram, Shemar Moore said:

“I got sunglasses on cuz I’m a little bit sad. I’m a lot of bit sad. We got canceled, S.W.A.T., S.W.A.T. got canceled. It makes no sense. Look up the articles, read the articles. We are the best shows at Friday night at 8 for CBS. The last two years we have been killing it, us and the fire show…the fire show that comes on right after us, and respect to those brothers and sisters. We’ve done nothing wrong. We did everything that was asked for. And let me tell the truth. We’re diverse. Did you know I am the only African American male lead on network TV? Not streaming, not cable, network television … NCIS: LA, LL Cool J, Chris O’Donnell, respect. Much respect. LL wasn’t no. 1. Chris O’Donnell was. But LL is a beast, don’t get it twisted, don’t mix my words. Since 2017 there are females, Angela Bassett. Look them up. I am the only African American male lead. Let’s get beyond me. S.W.A.T. is the most diverse show on CBS. CBS when I got hired to be Hondo on S.W.A.T., was getting a lot of flack for lack of diversity. If I post this and I think I might, I will get in a lot of trouble with CBS because I’m calling them out cuz’ they’ve been wonderful to me for 26 out of my 29-year career. But to abruptly get told that you’re canceled when you led us to believe last week and the week before that … that we would have some semblance of a season 7 to at least say goodbye, if not continue, and to abruptly be told you’re done…now there’s a lot of politics, a lot of things called licensing, a lot of you won’t understand what that means…its all about money, y’all. They said we’re canceling, but guess what I don’t think we’re done. CBS is either gonna wake up and realize they made a mistake. Sony is gonna do their math and realize that this is not the right move. I hope we can have a kumbaya and come back together and continue this show because it's a good time for families across the world. If it is the end life will go on, I’m not worried about me. I care about my family, my crew, the writers, the producers, the caterers, the wardrobe, the sound mixers, the teamsters, the construction crew ..that’s a whole lot of people who are abruptly being told you that don’t matter, sorry, thank you for your services. Good luck in finding a new job. To me, that’s not okay.”

SOURCE

• Like 1

Well, it's not uncommon for networks to cancel shows at the last minute, but those are mostly first-year or second-year shows where the writing's been on the wall for quite some time. A long running series (4 seasons plus) usually at least gets one last year or half year to finish everything up.

So I don't know why we couldn't have had at least a ten episode final season to give the show a proper send-off (likely with the wedding of Hondo and Nichelle). Fine, there are a lot of things about TV show economics I don't know about, but I can't help but think S.W.A.T. was cancelled because the studios were being pedantic. I'm sure CBS and Sony could have taken the small hit needed just to wrap the series up.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

The last two years we have been killing it, us and the fire show…the fire show that comes on right after us

Come on.  At least look it up.  This reads to me like he doesn't really care what else is on the network.

19 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I am the only African American male lead. Let’s get beyond me. S.W.A.T. is the most diverse show on CBS.

Isn't Cedric The Entertainer the lead on the Neighborhood?  Also, all the FBIs are as much, if not more, diverse than S.W.A.T.

20 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

that’s a whole lot of people who are abruptly being told you that don’t matter, sorry, thank you for your services. Good luck in finding a new job. To me, that’s not okay.”

People get let go from their jobs without warning every single day.  This is nothing new.

20 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Sony is gonna do their math and realize that this is not the right move.

They already did their math, that's why S.W.A.T. got cancelled.

Moore playing the race card here really isn't the way to go. He's been in the business long enough that he knows that the longer shows run, the more expensive they get.  He can even look at S.W.A.T. as an example of that.  How many episodes did we have this season where at least one member of the cast didn't even appear in the episode?  The show just got too expensive.

I'm put of by Moore response too.   Sure he should be upset, sure he worried about the crew and how abruptly it happened.  But calling out other shows/actors, acting like he's the only beacon of diversity on CBS?  Get over yourself.  This has nothing to do with diversity.  It's about economics and ownership.   The exact same thing happened to Magnum P.I. last year.   SWAT may get picked up somewhere else like Magnum did, but I'd think the odds of CBS reversing it's decision are zero after that reaction. 

First of all, according to The Neighborhood's official pitch, the series' lead is Max Greenfield, FKA Schmidt in New Girl and very much a white guy. Cedric The Entertainer, who is an executive producer, is the series' No. 2 guy, playing the next door neighbour to Greenfield's character.

Now, perhaps since the first season Cedric has morphed into a practical co-lead with Greenfield, but I'd say, technically, Cedric is really the No. 2 guy in The Neighborhood.

Honestly, though, whether or not Cedric is a lead feels pedantic. Fact is, there are very few lead actors and actresses in Hollywood who are people of colour. Just off the top of my head I can think of this show, Magnum, P.I., Station 19, the new version of The Wonder Years9-1-1, The Rookie: FedsEast New York and, possibly, The Neighborhood. Maybe there are two or three others I have missed but you get the idea.

Of those eight shows, here's what's happened to each of them:

• S.W.A.T.Cancelled after six seasons, despite being in the top 20 within the crucial advertiser demographic (18-49 year-olds) and being one of the few shows that picked up viewers from last season.
  • Magnum, P.I.: Cancelled after four seasons in May 2022 under very similar circumstances to S.W.A.T. (it was still a top 25 show, but CBS could not agree on a licensing fee). It would be later rescued by NBC, who has technically renewed it for two more seasons (though they'll act as two halves of the fifth season).
  • The Wonder YearsThough it received a second season order, that second season is scheduled to premiere on June 14, 2023 (it may be pushed to the fall of 2023 depending on the writer's strike). Though Elementary lasted two seasons as a summer show and attitudes are slowly changing on the subject, the summer season still tends to be the season where networks place the shows they are not particularly high on, kind of like "dump months" in the movie release season. So The Wonder Years being a summer show is an indicator of what ABC really thinks about it.
  • 9-1-1: FOX cancelled the series just a week ago after six seasons, only for ABC to pick it up for a seventh season later that day.
  • The Rookie: Feds: No word yet on whether or not it will be back for season 2. There are questions about its fate given that ABC has renewed all the shows on The Rookie: Feds' night (Tuesday) and has brought in 9-1-1 and Dancing With The Stars. It's a real toss-up at this stage.
  • East New York: Its status is also up in the air. You would think this would be a lock for S2 given that its ratings are better than other shows that have been renewed but so was S.W.A.T. so who knows.
  • The Neighborhood: Renewed by CBS in January for a sixth season. Debatable it belongs on this list.
  • Station 19Renewed by ABC in April.

That's eight shows with a POC lead, and, out of those seven shows, three have already been cancelled by their original network (though two of them were saved by another), one has been shoved to the summer, two shows' status is still up in the air and two have been renewed (though there will be a debate on whether one of those shows belongs on this list).

I know The TV Grim Reaper likes to get snarky and say that there's only one reason why TV executives make the decisions they do (something coloured green in the U.S. that rhymes with "honey"), but I can't help but wonder if there are racial and other social elements at play here. The fact that both S.W.A.T. and Magnum, P.I. were both cancelled despite being top tier TV shows leaves me asking questions about what else is in play here.

To further this point, FOX cancelled Call Me Kat after three seasons, even though most shows that get a third season get a fourth (since a fourth season usually leaves the network with enough episodes for stripped syndication). Now, Kat ended with 53 episodes, so FOX may have thought a fourth season (giving the show potentially 75 episodes) still wouldn't make syndication worth it, but the Grim Reaper was sure it would come back.

...and yet, here's a series starring Mayam Bialik, a woman who (in Hollywood's eyes) is on the wrong side of 45 (she is 47), having her series cancelled.

The gears in my brain are really starting to turn now.

Look. I know a lot of this is circumstantial. I don't know what really went on in the executives' minds because I am not them. I also tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, and, let's face it, I'm sure the vast majority of TV execs aren't consciously making decisions based on things like gender and race- they are after the bottom line in the monetary sense, ultimately.

However, that pursuit of the bottom line means that execs are typically less likely to take risks, and that means that prevailing attitudes- that the driver of TV audiences are heterosexual, vaguely Christian men like me- will subconsciously enter an executive's way of thinking. Without getting into the debates, we saw this play out when Bud Light had to stop its association with Dylan Mulvaney.

So, if you're an exec and you had to make a choice between renewing a series with a black male lead like S.W.A.T. or other aging series with white male leads like Blue Bloods or NCIS: Hawai'i, which would you pick?

"Playing it safe" means going with the latter, even if you would like to prop up the former.

Which means that, while it's provocative and likely risky move on his part, I'm not sure Shemar Moore is entirely wrong in wondering if race is playing a factor here. Without knowing for sure what the economics for CBS' shows are like, it's hard to know if there really was an insurmountable gap between studio and network preventing a renewal, or if that gap was so small that the studio and the network should have swallowed their pride and at least figure things out for a shortened seventh season, if not more.

Remember, Moore is a producer on this show. He probably knows more about the inner workings than we do. So I'm not going to outright dismiss his rant as just a bunch of hot air- he may be truly on to something.

Something truly unfortunate but, until things are different, they are what they are.

• Like 2

I gave up on SEAL Team this season because it sucked out loud, but S.W.A.T. was still doing what it does well (well, besides not having Jessica or Chris any more).  This sucks.

Man I hope Taye Diggs didn’t leave All American to be a regular on this show.

24 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Really??? 👀

‘S.W.A.T.’ Un-Canceled: Drama Starring Shemar Moore Resurrected At CBS With Season 7 Renewal – Update

It’s a done deal. CBS has confirmed Deadline’s exclusive about canceled S.W.A.T. getting a reprieve with a renewal for a seventh and final season through a statement. Star Shemar Moore has been added as an executive producer.

Wow. I had a feeling both sides were being pedantic and this just proves it. I get that the show was getting expensive, but I also felt that both the studio and the network could have sucked up a year or so of losses just to give the fans some proper closure, which is the right move.

A final season of 13 episodes suits me just fine.

• Like 2
(edited)

This un-cancellation drama, it somehow feels like a publicity stunt to me - the quick turnaround, the lead actor throwing a hissy fit etc - smooth. All is sus.

I have mixed feelings about CBS’ decisions. Happy to have S.W.A.T. back for a final season but totally disappointed about East New York being cancelled. 😣

And Chris Alonso’s fandom has started to make noise about bringing her back for at least one episode. UGH!

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

This un-cancellation drama, it somehow feels like a publicity stunt to me - the quick turnaround, the smooth plots, the lead actor throwing a hissy fit etc. All is sus.

Smooth plots? I don't quite understand what you mean there.

3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I have mixed feelings about CBS’ decisions. Happy to have S.W.A.T. back for a final season but totally disappointed about East New York being cancelled. 😣

I wasn't comfortable reading reports that suggested that CBS was pitting its two shows with Black leads against each other. I'm not sure I buy it. If CBS was really deciding between S.W.A.T. and East New York, then East New York should have been renewed when S.W.A.T. was originally cancelled. Instead, ENY was still on the bubble despite CBS' original decision.

Which tells me that, no matter what, ENY was doomed. As for S.W.A.T., it's very possible that its original cancellation was a negotiation tactic by one or the other, with the fan backlash anticipated by the side pulling the gambit. We may never know.

Ultimately, what troubles me a bit more is that the economics of TV these days feels like what viewers want mean less and less than before, and that's not a good trend. I mean, we'll probably never see the day where the top-viewed shows get canned, but the flipside are that fans of the shows that do well but aren't high profile hits (like S.W.A.T.) may start to feel their actions don't mean anything. Which means fans may sour on TV even more if they don't feel like their fandom is worth it. I don't know what the best course of action is from here but I think it would do well for the networks to lessen the politics and start being more transparent and honest with their viewers.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Smooth plots? I don't quite understand what you mean there.

1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

Which tells me that, no matter what, ENY was doomed. As for S.W.A.T., it's very possible that its original cancellation was a negotiation tactic by one or the other, with the fan backlash anticipated by the side pulling the gambit. We may never know.

I didn't mean like plot, plot. I have edited my comment. What I mean - everything that happened recently feels orchestrated. CBS and SonyPT couldn't come to a renewal decision for months and suddenly it can be un-cancelled within days? It's like they announced the cancellation as a bait and waited for the public outcry - whether they're gonna see the same (or bigger) magnitude of backlash as Magnum PI's cancellation. Then Shemar Moore reacted, he sprinkled some race element to it to get people talking, then wallaa! Positive or negative reaction, it doesn't matter, it's still publicity. The smooth chain of events. It feels like a stunt.

49 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Ultimately, what troubles me a bit more is that the economics of TV these days feels like what viewers want mean less and less than before, and that's not a good trend. Which means fans may sour on TV even more if they don't feel like their fandom is worth it. I don't know what the best course of action is from here but I think it would do well for the networks to lessen the politics and start being more transparent and honest with their viewers.

It's only the writers who usually care about what viewers think. Some may have gone too far to appease the fandoms and the writing quality suffers from it. The "ship" culture isn't helping.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I didn't mean like plot, plot. I have edited my comment. What I mean - everything that happened recently feels orchestrated. CBS and SonyPT couldn't come to a renewal decision for months and suddenly it can be un-cancelled within days? It's like they announced the cancellation as a bait and waited for the public outcry - whether they're gonna see the same (or bigger) magnitude of backlash as Magnum PI's cancellation. Then Shemar Moore reacted, he sprinkled some race element to it to get people talking, then wallaa! Positive or negative reaction, it doesn't matter, it's still publicity. The smooth chain of events. It feels like a stunt.

OK, now I understand. Thanks.

I think you could be right. I lean more towards either Sony or CBS called the other's bluff and they blinked. I always felt the cancellation was petty and pedantic, because, let's face it- S.W.A.T. is not the kind of show that typically gets cancelled. It's also not CBS' usual forte to cancel its old shows- they usually give them a truncated final run (see CSICriminal MindsThe MentalistMomTwo and a Half MenMadam Secretary, etc.).

So when S.W.A.T. got cancelled, something didn't add up. We'll probably never know what really happened until the show is long gone but it wouldn't surprise me if it deviated from the official narrative.

• Like 1
On 5/8/2023 at 12:27 AM, Danielg342 said:

So, if you're an exec and you had to make a choice between renewing a series with a black male lead like S.W.A.T. or other aging series with white male leads like Blue Bloods or NCIS: Hawai'i, which would you pick?

NCIS: Hawaii has white male lead?

9 hours ago, b4pjoe said:

NCIS: Hawaii has white male lead?

Whoops. That's my mistake...I should have put it in the other list. It also hasn't been on that long either (two seasons). Of course, that post is somewhat moot because S.W.A.T. came back, though I stand by it in an overall sense in the TV landscape.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D., S.W.A.T., NCIS: Sydney, Reacher, La Brea and More!

The CBS drama’s farewell run kicks off Friday, Feb. 16, 2024 with the first half of a two-parter that is set in Mexico City and thrusts Hondo, Hicks and Powell (played by Shemar Moore, Patrick St. Esprit and Anna Enger Ritch) into the season-opening action. Powell, for one, “is going to take some lumps,” showrunner Andrew Dettmann previews, “but also will get to kick some ass.”

• Useful 1

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Chicago Fire, Monarch, S.W.A.T., Outer Range, Magnum P.I. Series Finale and More!

“Given that this could be S.W.A.T.‘s final season, we’re going to return to our roots to some extent and really put Hondo in a vise between his allegiance to his community and his commitment to being a cop — the whole ‘Black vs. Blue’ notion that started the show back in Season 1.”

And yes, you read that right. The showrunner Andrew Dettmann wrote COULD…

• Useful 1