Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E07: The Battles Premiere

• Start Topic

Here's a preview of one of Monday's Battles, this time without any coach commentary afterwards:

It's a nice, refreshing song choice, and Bobby Brown is an interesting idea in terms of whose song to take on.  Meagan has a Tonya Boyd-Cannon (season eight)/Regina Love (season nine) kind of thing going on, and I like it a lot, but Lucas just feels like the winner of this one to me.  Nice, strong voice and an amazing growl that he doesn't use too much.

I'm glad they're calling Jennifer's team "Team Jennifer" instead of indulging her need to go by "Team JHud" like she did on the U.K. version.  But I'm a bit surprised that they're previewing a Battle between two one-chair-turns.

• Love 1

Just for a reset going into the Battles, here are the team rosters once more:

Team Adam
Dave Crosby
Brandon Showell
Dylan Gerard
Hannah Mrozak
Adam Pearce
Anthony Alexander
Emily Luther
Brandon Brown
Whitney Fenimore
Jon Mero
Michael Kight
Gary Carpentier

Team Miley
Janice Freeman
Brooke Simpson
Ashland Craft
Shilo Gold
Addison Agen
Moriah Formica
Sophia Bollman
Karli Webster
Chloe Kohanski
Ilianna Viramontes
Katrina Rose
Megan Rose

Team Jennifer
Chris Weaver
Shi'Ann Jones
Lucas Holliday
Maharasyi
Davon Fleming
Kathrina Feigh
Alexandra Joyce
Eric Lyn
Stephan Marcellus
Ignatious Carmouche
Meagan McNeal
Jeremiah Miller

Team Blake
Mitchell Lee
Esera Tuaolo
Keisha Renee
Red Marlow
Adam Cunningham
Noah Mac
Anna Catherine DeHart
Dennis Drummond
Rebecca Brunner
Natalie Stovall
Ryan Scripps
Kristi Hoopes

Edited by Jabu
  • Love 1

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Adam Pearce (defeated Whitney Fenimore)

(Still Waiting)
Dave Crosby
Brandon Showell
Dylan Gerard
Hannah Mrozak
Anthony Alexander
Emily Luther
Brandon Brown
Jon Mero
Michael Kight
Gary Carpentier

Team Miley
Moriah Formica (defeated Shilo Gold)
Brooke Simpson (defeated Sophia Bollman)
Whitney Fenimore (stolen from Team Adam)

(Still Waiting)
Janice Freeman
Ashland Craft
Addison Agen
Karli Webster
Chloe Kohanski
Ilianna Viramontes
Katrina Rose
Megan Rose

Team Jennifer
Lucas Holliday (defeated Meagan McNeal)
Chris Weaver (defeated Kathrina Feigh)
Noah Mac (stolen from Team Blake)

(Still Waiting)
Shi'Ann Jones
Maharasyi
Davon Fleming
Alexandra Joyce
Eric Lyn
Stephan Marcellus
Ignatious Carmouche
Jeremiah Miller

Team Blake
Keisha Renee (defeated Noah Mac)
Kathrina Feigh (stolen from Team Jennifer)

(Still Waiting)
Mitchell Lee
Esera Tuaolo
Red Marlow
Adam Cunningham
Anna Catherine DeHart
Dennis Drummond
Rebecca Brunner
Natalie Stovall
Ryan Scripps
Kristi Hoopes

Names in bold indicate an artist who has either newly won his or her Battle and stayed on his or her team, or been newly stolen by another coach.  An asterisk indicates that this artist's Battle was montaged.

• Love 2

And to think there was doubt over the talent this season.  I enjoyed all six Battles tonight.

Lucas vs. Meagan: I think it was wise to get the least exciting Battle out of the way first, though I still found a way to enjoy this one, as well.  Their harmonies were very good, and their solo parts were solidly done.  The non-melody-singing opponent performing ad-libs while the other opponent sang the melody toward the end probably was the one negative standout I had, but otherwise, a very enjoyable performance.  I agreed with Jennifer's choice of Lucas, though.  There was something about his that stood out to me more, while Meagan, while also good, had more of a Tonya Boyd-Cannon (season eight)/Regina Love (season nine) kind of vibe to her voice that I've heard before.  So I wasn't surprised that she lost without a steal.

Moriah vs. Shilo: It's astounding to notice how much Shilo improved under Miley and/or Billy Ray!  She sounded great!  I expected her to be overrun by Moriah, especially not being a rocker like she is, but she actually put up a good fight against her!  But there's no question that Moriah was still the better one, IMO.  She rightly won this one.  I am a bit shocked that neither Adam nor Blake went for the steal, though.  Indie girls are usually their thing.

Keisha vs. Noah: This was close to call for me, as I really did like both of their performances a lot, both separately and together.  Still, I can see why Keisha won.  She had more singing parts, for one thing, and her voice had just more a standout quality than Noah's did.  Plus, the rare black artist who wants to specialize in country?  Come on.  You know Blake's going to want that uniqueness around.  Still, because both were so good, I am glad that Noah got stolen, and Jennifer made sense to steal him, since she did go for him before at the Blinds.

Chris vs. Kathrina: Blah, blah, blah, oversingcakes.  I don't care.  I really liked this take on one of Ariana's most famous songs.  Their voices went very well together, they had good stage chemistry, and they seemed to give each other great energy off which to play.  I was actually surprised by the power behind both of their voices, as well!  But that said, Chris clearly wiped the floor with Kathrina, so I was more than okay with Jennifer giving the win to him.  But because I also enjoyed Kathrina's performance, I am thankful to Blake for granting her the second chance with his steal.

Brooke vs. Sophia: So not only did Miley help Shilo improve, but I dare say she also helped Sophia improve!  She was fantastic, IMO!  Brooke improved, as well, even though she was already good enough to begin with.  That was an amazing performance, and Miley coached them well to bring it about.  I'm glad that Miley remained loyal to her four-chair-turn, though, so I agreed with Brooke staying.  But Sophia deserved a steal, so I'm not happy that she didn't get one.

Adam P. vs. Whitney: As much as Adam drives me up the wall, he actually made one of his rare good song choices.  Tom Petty for Adam P. and Stevie Nicks for Whitney?  Two famous rockers for his current-day rockers?  Excellent choice, and their voices were excellent, as well, though I preferred them both alone rather than together.  Of the two, I might've preferred Whitney, so after Adam gave the win to Adam P. (because . . . obviously, he no likey women), I'm glad that Miley gave Whitney the second chance, especially since she'd gone for her before in the Blinds.

All in all, good song choices, good pairings, great Battles, and I can agree with the steals, for the most part.

20 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Well, it's official.  I'll be FFing through all of Jennifer's coaching sessions.  I don't want to hear her diva self sing.

Well, I do want to, so I will enjoy any and every time she does.:)

• Love 15

I enjoy Jennifer's energy, talent, and enthusiasm. Watching her figure out how to play this game is entertaining. She and Kelly are a fun coaching team, and it totally feels like they are great friends in real life. 

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

She and Kelly are a fun coaching team, and it totally feels like they a great friends in real life. 

It actually fits that Kelly's her Battle mentor.  She was a coach in season six of Australia's version, and who should be her team's Battle mentor but Jennifer?  So it's a very cute, amusing switch that they've made.:)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I don’t often compliment Blake, but he was very sweet when he stole the girl who performed “Dangerous Woman.” Especially when she was thanking him, and he said he should be thanking her. That was really kind of him.

Speaking of the steals, I quite enjoyed seeing that the show is actually going to let us see the reactions of the winners when their opponents get stolen.  I loved Keisha and Chris's respective reactions to Noah and Kathrina's steals.  Adam P.'s reaction to Whitney's steal wasn't too bad, either, though kind of ordinary.

• Love 5

Oh, and I checked the promo for tomorrow night's episode (and then rewatched some of the Blinds to match their physical descriptions).  It looks like the six pairs seen will be:

Brandon Showell vs. Hannah Mrozak (Team Adam)
Dave Crosby vs. Dylan Gerard (Team Adam)
Chloe Kohanski vs. Ilianna Viramontes (Team Miley)
Davon Fleming vs. Maharasyi (Team Jennifer)
Dennis Drummond vs. Mitchell Lee (Team Blake)
Esera Tuaolo vs. Rebecca Brunner (Team Blake)

But since tomorrow will only be an hour long, only three of these Battles will be seen, and the other three will be montaged.  Since Davon and Maharasayi's Battle has made the promo rounds this past week, I think they'll be shown, for sure.  But I can't figure out which others will be.

• Love 2

On merit, Sophia and Shilo should still be in the competition over Lucas and Kathrina.

Kathrina was not great in particular and Lucas was just too cheesy/cartoon-y where I would've given that battle to Meagan. Sophia is one of those classic Voice happenings, where she was clearly just there to make up the numbers and there was no universe where Miley wasn't choosing Brooke in that pairing....but low and behold she actually sang really well and made the actual battle pretty close to a toss up. Unfortunately for her, she was never going to be on any of the other three coach's radar for a steal so she gone.

Whitney. Yay, my underdog's that I cheer for almost never get stolen. I don't think she's long for Team Miley...but at least she'll get to sing one more time. Adam P. I worry could ride that Laith or Terry McDermott like wave (Laith was obviously more bluesy and guitar focused) of classic throwback rock singers tending to do well in the votes (don't think for a minute Adam Levine won't factor that in when he's making his KO pairings and figuring out who he wants on his team for Lives).

This Chris is about as bad as last year's Chris.  And he has Jennifer egging him on. Methinks him approaching a song with anything remotely close to restraint will be pipe dream....

What's the best a female rocker has done? It has to be Juliet Simms making the finale, right? Moriah is awesome (and only 16. "What!?" says Blake over and over again from the cheap seats lol) but at a certain point I wonder if she'll have a ceiling. Maybe that Top 8 to Top 4 culling (if that's what they decide to do again) might be about as good as she can hope for.

Not totally mad that Noah got a steal, still not totally seeing Keisha as an aspiring country act. I know what passes for country in 2017 is a seriously big tent (Sam Hunt? The Voice's Cassadee Pope is still trying, Chris Lane sounds more R&B than country....so given some support from Blake and access to top tier Nashville hitmakers, maybe she's got a shot. But it's definitely going to be an uphill climb)...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Adam P. I worry could ride that Laith or Terry McDermott like wave (Laith was obviously more bluesy and guitar focused) of classic throwback rock singers tending to do well in the votes (don't think for a minute Adam Levine won't factor that in when he's making his KO pairings and figuring out who he wants on his team for Lives).

Or Jesse Larson.  Let's not forget that debacle, @PhD-Purgatory15.

• Love 1

I'm a Brooek supporter, since she's from my home state and not too far from my hometown.  But, Sophia was robbed by not being stolen. What was it?  Her voice is actually the best in the competition, except for Brooke's imo.   Do you think the coaches thought that she would be compared with Brooke too much and not measure up?  I don't get it.  I hope she'll come back in a WILDCARD thing or something. 

• Love 4

The first battle was such a disappointment to me.  ITA with PHD-PURGATORY15 about Lucas.  And, Meagan was one of my favorites from the blinds.  As with others posting here, Brooke's win was, for me, expected and welcomed.  Regarding tonight the contestant I am most interested in is Esera Tuaolo and that is mostly based on his song choice in the blinds. If anyone else ever sang Andra Day I either missed it or have forgotten. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MillionReasons said:

Regarding tonight the contestant I am most interested in is Esera Tuaolo and that is mostly based on his song choice in the blinds. If anyone else ever sang Andra Day I either missed it or have forgotten. 

I feel like someone definitely sang "Rise Up," but I can't remember who did.

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I feel like someone definitely sang "Rise Up," but I can't remember who did.

In season ten, Tamar Davis sang it at the Playoffs.  But she charted so low on iTunes, Christina couldn't pass her through (and her Comeback, Nick Hagelin, miraculously getting the public vote certainly didn't help her cause).  In season twelve, Aaliyah Rose also sang it for her Blind.  Only Gwen turned around for her.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 1

Does anyone recall when Miley was talking about her two team members Brooke an Sophia performing American Women? She said something like she wanted them to celebrate being young, strong women, tribute to feminism, etc.  something along those lines.  I wonder if she thinks that's what the song American Woman is about.  lol  

• Love 6

I'll echo other commentators by noting that the level of talent was surprisingly good, mostly because there were contestants like Sophia and Shilo who improved quite dramatically over their blind auditions.  I would actually liked to have seen those two go through over any of the three who were stolen.

It of course also helped that my three favorites from this bunch (Moriah, Brooke, and Chris) all confirmed my initial positive impression of them.  Moriah may just be my overall favorite so far this season.  Unfortunately I can't see a female rocker winning this show, but I hope she at least makes the semifinals.

I do find Lucas entertaining and his was one of the better battles of the night, I have a feeling he might be carried a lot further than he should based on the sympathy factor.

I agree with Star Aristille that both Adam P. and Whitney sounded good when singing individually, but did not combine well at all.  That was perhaps the worst of the night when judged strictly as a duet.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone recall when Miley was talking about her two team members Brooke an Sophia performing American Women? She said something like she wanted them to celebrate being young, strong women, tribute to feminism, etc.  something along those lines.  I wonder if she thinks that's what the song American Woman is about.  lol  

Did she really say that? Wow, pretty dumb, because the song is a snarky put-down of American women.  I hate when people claim they love a song but has apparently have not listened to the lyrics beyond the title. Like thinking Springsteen's "Born in the USA" is a celebration of America when it's actually an anti-war song. Or for those old enough to know it, Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land" was also a protest song, not a patriotic anthem.

No surprise, Jennifer Hudson's battles were a scream fest. The only one I mildly enjoyed was the first, because I think Lucas is interesting and I give him a lot of credit for staying in his lower register for the sake of the duet, and not going for the high notes he's capable of. JHud made reference to "money notes." They're what people on this forum have for years called "glory notes." Though given how rich she is. in her case "money notes" is probably the correct term.

Blake said that one of the singers "literally grabbed that song by the throat." I had an image of a piece of sheet music being strangled.

How annoying is it when Jennifer refers to herself as "J Hud Productions?"

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1
On 10/16/2017 at 9:41 PM, MaryPatShelby said:

Well, it's official.  I'll be FFing through all of Jennifer's coaching sessions.  I don't want to hear her diva self sing.

I don't think she sings that much, only when she's demonstrating something for the people she's coaching. Christina used to do it too. In fact, all the coaches sing a little bit here and there in their coaching sessions. We just hear less of it from the others because, let's face it, they're not the best vocalists. Good entertainers, sure. But I'm convinced that if the coaches were contestants in the blind auditions, nobody would push their button for Adam or Miley. Possibly Blake, but definitely not the other two. 

• Love 4

Keisha and Noah had me thinking back to a not-so-popular singing competition of a few years back, "Can You Duet?" I really enjoyed their version of "I'm So Lonesome..." together. Both can do country, both are soulful, and both had some really lovely moments within that song, with nice feeling and control. They sang well together. I couldn't help thinking they'd be nice as a teamed up country-soul duet (a combo that country music really needs, imo).  So glad Jennifer stole Noah. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

re: coaches,  I'm still enjoying Miley and feel she makes much better comments than many coaches of the past. Seems to coach well, too, and to genuinely care. I'm surprised she won't be back again in future seasons. I'll miss her youth, enthusiasm, coaching and comments.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Padma said:

Keisha and Noah had me thinking back to a not-so-popular singing competition of a few years back, "Can You Duet?" I really enjoyed their version of "I'm So Lonesome..." together. Both can do country, both are soulful, and both had some really lovely moments within that song, with nice feeling and control. They sang well together. I couldn't help thinking they'd be nice as a teamed up country-soul duet (a combo that country music really needs, imo).  So glad Jennifer stole Noah. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

re: coaches,  I'm still enjoying Miley and feel she makes much better comments than many coaches of the past. Seems to coach well, too, and to genuinely care. I'm surprised she won't be back again in future seasons. I'll miss her youth, enthusiasm, coaching and comments.

I loved the Keisha and Noah duet and I agree with the judges' comments - how Keisha took them to church and Noah took them to a 50's diner.  I'm glad Noah got to stay.  He seems genuine and I agree with Jennifer that he has star potential. 

Keisha is my favorite at this stage of the competition.  I'm eager to see her sing country but with the same soul and power she brought to this performance.   It's really hard to know how contestants will fare long-term based on the auditions and battles but I hope Keisha is able to deliver and go the distance.

On 10/13/2017 at 5:48 PM, Star Aristille said:

Here's a preview of one of Monday's Battles, this time without any coach commentary afterwards:

Reveal hidden contents

It's a nice, refreshing song choice, and Bobby Brown is an interesting idea in terms of whose song to take on.  Meagan has a Tonya Boyd-Cannon (season eight)/Regina Love (season nine) kind of thing going on, and I like it a lot, but Lucas just feels like the winner of this one to me.  Nice, strong voice and an amazing growl that he doesn't use too much.

I'm glad they're calling Jennifer's team "Team Jennifer" instead of indulging her need to go by "Team JHud" like she did on the U.K. version.  But I'm a bit surprised that they're previewing a Battle between two one-chair-turns.

This was an awesome duet as well.  I'm glad Lucas stayed.  He's super entertaining, but I was also REALLY surprised Meagan went home.  She was really, REALLY good.  It was odd though.  During talking heads, etc. she didn't have a lot of enthusiasm.  It was like she knew she wasn't going to be a contender.  I read an interview from someone from Blake's team from an old show and he knew he wasn't going to make it based on comments Blake made to him and the battler partner.  I think there was some of this going  on.  The judges have their minds made up before the battles for the most part, IMO, and the contestants sense it.  

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Jextella said:

Did we ever learn why Miley won't be returning?  I adore her and would like to see her permanently.

Yes.  It's in the media thread, too, but Miley confirmed on Howard Stern that she won't be back for some time.  It's publicly known that Kelly Clarkson will be taking her place next season, and more than likely Gwen will be back the season after.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Jextella said:

I loved the Keisha and Noah duet and I agree with the judges' comments - how Keisha took them to church and Noah took them to a 50's diner.  I'm glad Noah got to stay.  He seems genuine and I agree with Jennifer that he has star potential

Agreed, easily my favorite of the night. I previously though Noah was a bland singer who got through the battle round on his looks, but he did some really nice things on this song so I'm glad I'll hear more. Keisha was just perfection. She has the range of some of the singers and Jennifer's team but the taste to be true to the song and not indulge in showboating. It will be interesting to see where Blake takes her. He has had talented black female vocalists before (Sisaunra), but never one that wanted to sing country.

10 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Yes.  It's in the media thread, too, but Miley confirmed on Howard Stern that she won't be back for some time.  It's publicly known that Kelly Clarkson will be taking her place next season, and more than likely Gwen will be back the season after.

I think that Miley has been good for the show.  I wonder if she will win this season. Just a hunch. 

• Love 4