Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Tams made her onscreen debut as Carly on May 2, 2001. So, she had been around for a month or so when those scenes aired.

Sarah Brown had last appeared on April 24 of that year. In her last scene, Sonny sent her to her room. He told her "Go upstairs!" She refused. He said, "You think I'm kiddin'?" (or words to that effect), threw a glass, and she scurried upstairs. Then I think the show ended with a musical montage of Sonny looking tortured about Whatever The Hell, and Sarah flaring her nostrils.  

I remember this because there were a lot of pissed-off Sarah/Carly fans on various boards that day. They thought it was a humiliating way for her great run to end, with Carly frightened into obedience by Sonny.  

Here it is:

And Tamara's first scene. You can even hear "Braun" at the very beginning of the clip--the tail end of the "The role of Carly" announcement.

• Love 2

Hi, Zander! Hi, Amber-as-Emily! I choose not to greet Roy DiLucca and the Jacob Young Lucky.

That writing is so Megan McTavish, and the musical montage is so Jill Farren Phelps. She really went montage-crazy in her first couple years. Who could forget the one with Lucky and Nikolas (Jacob/Coltin versions) suffering over their rift, with the Zombies singing? Or the even more homoerotic one with Jason and Sonny suffering over their rift, while Portishead sang "Roads"? 

Thanks, UYI.  

• Love 1

No problem!

And JFP basically stole from herself with the "I Shall Believe" montage--the year before, there was a montage set to that same song on OLTL, when she was still producing it. 

• Love 2

Also, had to find this. Vindication!

Patrick: Yeah. What about the next time? How many times do you leave to go save Jason? 

Robin: I don't know. I don't know. I just know that he would do it for me. 

Patrick: Really? You think so? You think he'd leave his wife and his son? 

Robin: If it meant saving my life, yes.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Suck on it, Patty!

I don't know why I'm saying that, I like Patrick lol.

LOL. I love him, too, for the most part. He needed to be schooled, though. His jealousy was thick.

• Love 1

I almost can't watch early Cassadine stuff, the times before Katherine Bell swanned into Stefan's line of fire because of Riche's maniacal demands.  The early stuff is so, SO good. Stefan/Nikolas, Stefan/Alexis, Stefan/Helena. I know NLG was never keen on the gothic element, but it never showed in her performances and I loved all of it.  Back when the Spencers weren't designated winners. Real Nikolas/Emily, all the Nikolas/Lucky goodness. Stefan/Bobbie hotness and how Nikolas and Lucky bonded over both caring about Bobbie.  That first year was amazing.  There were some gold moments later on, just bits here and there, but nothing quite like when the Cassadines returned. 

• Love 1

Her terrible driving killed Liz's and Jax's unborn daughter. Which made the whole Jax falls for Carly writing even worse for me. But a killer like her husband and BFF, no.

29 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Question - has Carly ever killed anyone?

No. Although she only didn't kill Tony by sheer luck. She plugged him in the chest I believe. Also one Nurses Ball she kept wandering around with a gun in her bag waiting for a chance to kill AJ. I forget why she didn't do it.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ulkis said:

No. Although she only didn't kill Tony by sheer luck. She plugged him in the chest I believe. Also one Nurses Ball she kept wandering around with a gun in her bag waiting for a chance to kill AJ. I forget why she didn't do it.

I do remember her shooting Tony, but that was right before she got committed, right?

• Love 1
Just now, TeeVee329 said:

I do remember her shooting Tony, but that was right before she got committed, right?

Yup. It's why she got committed, to get out of serving prison time.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cupcake04 said:

Thank you!  I was thinking exact same thing and wondering if I was missing something or had the "family tree" wrong but they keep saying Carly's adoptive father, so they aren't blood related, so what are the chances that his real daughter would be a match for his adoptive daughter's daughter?  Wait...who is Carly's bio father?  Has he been on?  Are we gonna find out that adoptive dad is really her bio dad??

Carly's bio dad is John Durant (played by Corbin Bernsen).  Carly found him in 2004 or 2005 & he came to town to get to know her and take down Sonny (he was a federal prosecutor, IIRC).  Obvs, he didn't succeed.  He died in 2006.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

All I know for sure is that she shot him in an open courtroom, like smart people do, amirite? 

Oh, and she also used a cop's gun to do it--she stole it right out of Taggert's holster.  He was right there when she did it.

Edited by UYI
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

That's kinda wild that, in all her years of ridin' n 'dyin', that Carly never killed anyone, not even in self-defense.

Well, except for Liz's and Jax's unborn baby girl. I'd love for Joss to find that out one day.

• Love 1

Her terrible driving killed Liz's and Jax's unborn daughter. Which made the whole Jax falls for Carly writing even worse for me. But a killer like her husband and BFF, no.

Carly was not driving. Jax and Liz were in the car and Carly was having a mental breakdown when she ran into the middle of the road. Jax swerved to miss her and that caused the accident.

Carly shot Tony after he got off in court for kidnapping Michael. I think he smiled smugly at her and she snapped and grabbed Taggert's gun. They she faked a breakdown in order to avoid prison time.

Oh, yes, Liz and Jax's unborn daughter. Remember the scene where they mourned her together, and each of them talked about the things they would never get to do with her? Jax was all "I was going to show you how to succeed in business," et cetera, and Liz's contribution included "I was going to show you how to clean a kitchen"? The actors did well with it, but the lines were pretty bad.  

• Love 1
On 3/17/2017 at 10:06 AM, HeatLifer said:

Did any female character ever slap OGJason?

Liz did. For when Jason asked for Jake's kidney for Joss(never seen the scene just heard about it) 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

Liz did. For when Jason asked for Jake's kidney for Joss(never seen the scene just heard about it) 

Elizabeth slapped the shit out of Jason and it was awesome!  My girl put her back into that slap and Jason looked so shocked.  LMAO!

On 3/17/2017 at 9:06 AM, HeatLifer said:

Did any female character ever slap OGJason?

Elizabeth slapped the shit out of Jason this time in 2011, when he asked for little Jake's kidney.

• Love 2

Newly posted scenes from 1979.  Between April and September 1979.  Some scenes are pieced together, but it doesn't matter.  What these episodes show is the kindness and sweetness of a friendship blossoming between Luke and Laura.  It was a brief period of time before his deep love for her surfaced, the mob, the rape.  He liked helping her, he didn't have much of an agenda other than to be near her.  He wanted her to get out of the disco one month before the rape. (second video posted). Some say Laura didn't know that she was falling in love with Luke at this time, around the time she and Scotty married.

Edited by TessHarding2
  • Love 1

I always thought it was gross that Jason was the one who asked Elizabeth about the donation. He deserved the slap for that alone. However, Elizabeth shouldn't have called organ donation "using [Jake] for spare parts." As a nurse, she knows better. I get she was a grieving mother, but Jake was on life support. 

As always, that story was mainly about Jason's pain. The emphasis was put on the wrong syllable. UGH.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

As a nurse, she knows better. I get she was a grieving mother, but Jake was on life support. 

I don't think she was talking about organ donation so much as the specific request. Jason asking for organs from his biological son to save a child that was a bigger part of his life than Jake was. Asking like he had a right to ask when he hadn't done anything to earn that right

• Love 6

I totally agree Jason was the absolute wrong person to ask Elizabeth. It should have been Stephen Lars. The writing for that scene between Jason and Elizabeth should have been much more sharply written, but of course  Guza was never going to make Jason anything but noble for wanting to save the daughter of his BFF. So Elizabeth gets lines like "using [Jake] for spare parts." She probably wouldn't have said that to Stephen Lars. 

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I always thought it was gross that Jason was the one who asked Elizabeth about the donation. He deserved the slap for that alone. However, Elizabeth shouldn't have called organ donation "using [Jake] for spare parts." As a nurse, she knows better. I get she was a grieving mother, but Jake was on life support. 

As always, that story was mainly about Jason's pain. The emphasis was put on the wrong syllable. UGH.

It wasn't just Jason's "pain."  Suckwad JJ/schmucky and TG got gobs of knob slobbing scenes out of the story courtesy of Guza/JFP as well.  BH was supposed to leaving the show at the time the storyline was playing out.  

2 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

I don't think she was talking about organ donation so much as the specific request. Jason asking for organs from his biological son to save a child that was a bigger part of his life than Jake was. Asking like he had a right to ask when he hadn't done anything to earn that right

It was always about Carly and some brat (be it Michael or Josslyn) she birthed ahead of Jake.  He was always an asshole doing that to Elizabeth.  More than once.  Hated Guza and SB (yes, I meant the actor) by the time 2011 rolled around.  

Edited by coffee drinker

Question - what have, historically and in general, Lucy's feelings about Sonny been?  And what about Kevin's?

Lucy has been friends with Sonny in the past. They were even partners for a short while when he was part owner of Luke's Place.

Kevin didn't really interact much with Sonny but he didn't hate him.

1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Question - what have, historically and in general, Lucy's feelings about Sonny been?  And what about Kevin's?

She and Sonny and Luke used to be good friends. I'd like to think she feels differently about him now, though. 

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I really liked the Lucy/Luke friendship.

Me, too.

Regarding Sonny and Lucy, I don't know that they were friends themselves, but had a mutual friend in Luke and were involved with him in various shenanigans. I think Lucy got on Sonny's nerves, IIRC, but they didn't dislike each other.

As for Kevin, I mostly remember him not being terribly happy that Lucy was involved with Sonny and Luke, but because he thought it was dangerous, not because he had anything against either of them personally. He might have been a little jealous of Luke, because he and Lucy could be flirty with each other, but it wasn't a huge deal because back then everyone (including goddamned Tony Geary) knew Luke was 100% faithful to Laura.

• Love 3

I remember Lucy having a very meta conversation in her first scene under Ron where she talked about how weird it was that everyone now just openly discussed how Sonny was a mobster.

4 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

(including goddamned Tony Geary) knew Luke was 100% faithful to Laura.

A great Luke line, it may have been Lucy who said it to him, "oh, Luke doesn't even look at other women", and Luke replied, "oh, I look."