Type keyword(s) to search

Christopher Kimball's Milk Street - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Is this going to compete with ATK/CC on PBS? If not, does anyone know where I can find it? I don't know if Kimball can carry a show by himself, but I am curious nonetheless.

If you go to Milk Street's web site, and you can search what PBS stations are carrying it. WETA in DC is carrying it along with both ATK and CC.

Found it. Thanks. 

I can't believe PBS is going to put this in direct competition with ATK/CC. Then again, FN is no longer an option for stand and stir unless you're a D list celeb or the wife if an NBA all-star, and Cooking Channel is just taking all of FN's castoffs and repeating them. 

I'll give it a shot. His palette is narrow, but he is knowledgeable. 

• Love 3

Kimball's going to have to come up with a new concept since ATK/CC haven't changed their formats one iota after Kimball left. I guess this will be a test of his versatility, and to me, he has always seemed very staid and set in his ways which just made his gags more memorable. I guess the proof will be in the (bread?) pudding. :) 

• Love 2

It's basically the same format except for the interview segment and Chris hosted the equipment segment alone.

Curious to see how they will change it up or if the episodes will remain the same structure. 

I hope they tone down the audience in the future because I found them annoying. I also didn't like the brightness of the footage, it felt very sterile.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I don't see it as competition - I see it as an expansion of options, and I welcome it.

I'm honestly hoping my affiliate airs em both back to back on Sundays and places the Sunday ATK rerun on the bench for a bit.

1 hour ago, jjj said:

Wow, I had not even heard about this until I saw this topic-- sounds like it is on PBS affiliates?  I wondered what he was doing.

Yup or you can watch on their website at the links I posted above.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Skyfall said:

And unlike ATK/CC this isn't delayed two weeks to watch online for free.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Thank you, Skyfall, for sharing these!  I just watched both.  I am SO happy to have Christopher Kimball back.  I just like him and his team so much -- his manner is quite unique but I thoroughly enjoy him!  I even emailed the Milk Street team to find out when the show is appearing in my city and they gave me dates/times but it's not here yet.  So these episodes were great to see today -- again thanks much!

• Love 1

Thanks from me, too, Skyfall!  I didn't even know my local PBS was airing this till a few days ago, when I saw it on the satellite guide.  I don't know how many episodes I've already missed, so it's great to be able to watch on your links.

So far I've watched the baking episode--chocolate prune rum cake and brown sugar tart.  I'm always very interested in new piecrust techniques, so this is one I'll absolutely try soon.  The dough looked beautiful, but hers really shrank away from the pan a whole lot.  Mine never shrinks like that, so I'll be curious to see if it was the recipe or the cook.

I think I liked the bright whiteness of the kitchen segments.  Added a kind of science-in-heaven feel.  Or something.  I hope all the people aren't quite as white this time, though.  I did appreciate not having to listen to Bridget saying "I'm gonna go ahead and . . ." before every single step.  I hardly even noticed there was an audience--seemed a bit pointless. I get the feeling this is going to be a lot more adventurous than ATK and CC, and if so, I'm on board. 

I watched the first episode on my computer and felt the background was too white and sterile like @biakbiak said above, but then when I saw it on my TV it somehow seemed a little easier on the eyes.  I'm starting to fully appreciate the creative genius of Chris, not that I didn't before, but I have really been feeling his absence from ATK and I'm beginning to realize why.  I've already learned a couple of things I wanted to know from this show and that's significant.  The only thing I would have suggested with the boiled chicken is doing what the Singaporeans do with their "Haianese Chicken", and that's shock it in a bowl of ice water after taking it out of the pot, which helps prevent against any drying or "rubber chicken" texture.  Long story, but I've been making that recipe for years.  I think it's one of Singapore's national dishes along with Chili Crab.

Compared to ATK I think this show is aimed more at intermediate cooks and foodies that have some food knowledge and are more adventurous to learn foreign cuisines, which targets me well, so I'm definitely on board.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

are more adventurous to learn foreign cuisines, which targets me well, so I'm definitely on board.

This fact does crack me up because Chris acknowledges that he is not an adventurous eater and hates spice so the first episode when jalapeños were piled on a finish dish and he didn't squirm delighted me.

I do appreciate that the show seems to be focused on technique which is what I tend to watch cooking shows for and not the exact recipe.

• Love 2

I just looked up my local PBS affiliate...WGBH in BOSTON.  Their headquarters are a train ride away from Milk St, and they do not have this show in their schedule. Hmmm?  Did Christopher burn too many local bridges?

I will watch via the links above and see if I can get a smart "food/cooking" show back in my viewing rotation.  Lord knows Food Network only shows fat white guys shoving behemoth sized burgers in their faces...or the other fat white Guy's eleventy billion iterations of DD&D. Or all the doofy competitions with worse cooks, food trucks, pumpkin carving, infusing squid ink into cupcakes. GAH!   I'm over the "travel" food shows too.  I believe you when you tell me it tastes good as the food spills out of you mouth b/c you're talking with a face full of chili fries.  Now could you go back to your kitchen and show me how to make it?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I just looked up my local PBS affiliate...WGBH in BOSTON.  Their headquarters are a train ride away from Milk St, and they do not have this show in their schedule. Hmmm?  Did Christopher burn too many local bridges?

I will watch via the links above and see if I can get a smart "food/cooking" show back in my viewing rotation.  Lord knows Food Network only shows fat white guys shoving behemoth sized burgers in their faces...or the other fat white Guy's eleventy billion iterations of DD&D. Or all the doofy competitions with worse cooks, food trucks, pumpkin carving, infusing squid ink into cupcakes. GAH!   I'm over the "travel" food shows too.  I believe you when you tell me it tastes good as the food spills out of you mouth b/c you're talking with a face full of chili fries.  Now could you go back to your kitchen and show me how to make it?

Look on the Milk Street website. It didn't come up on my local PBS affiliate's station, either. 

13 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

The Milk Street site is showing it broadcasting on WGBH at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday September 23rd.

• Love 1

Milk Street is not breaking any new ground, and that's fine. (One episode has aired here in SF on the local PBS station, and as Sew Sumi noted above another airs tonight.) I don't think there can be too many well-produced instructional cooking shows that focus on the food and not the personalities making it. (I couldn't tell you that last time I watched anything on FN, even for five minutes. It's just painful.) I'll certainly keep watching Milk Street, as well as ATK and CC because the latter two are Comfort TV for me as I've been watching them for years (and one of their on-screen personalities is a good friend of mine). One suggestion for Milk Street: Get rid of the audience. They add nothing. But keep the guest experts like the London woman who was an expert on Chinese cooking. That's surely a vast pool from which to draw.

• Love 3

They used a microwave without a snarky comment from Chris, that might be a first.

Still not liking the video quality, all these people are so pale that it makes them look unhealthy, when they did a close up of Matt's hand I thought he could be an extra in Twilight.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Chris appeared on "The Rachael Ray Show" on Wednesday.  He's been on her show several times since his break with ATK and I like his segments.  He was attempting to teach Nate Berkus how to cook eggs several ways.  Nate could qualify for "Worst Cooks in America".  It was fun.

• Love 1

I'm looking forward to seeing Milk Street but it's not on my PBS station yet.  I talked to the programming manager and he was very pleasant and plans to put it on in the future.  He mentioned that so often people call to complain about shows, he's delighted to get calls that are positive about shows and the latter calls make his job easier.

So, maybe if you aren't finding it locally yet, it's time to call your PBS station and encourage them.  I also used some comments from here ....about it being for technique.  Thank you Biakbiak

On 9/18/2017 at 3:00 AM, biakbiak said:

This fact does crack me up because Chris acknowledges that he is not an adventurous eater and hates spice so the first episode when jalapeños were piled on a finish dish and he didn't squirm delighted me.

I do appreciate that the show seems to be focused on technique which is what I tend to watch cooking shows for and not the exact recipe.

Chris can be a very good teacher but he can't tell a joke to save his life.  It's not his fault; some people just aren't funny.   He should skip the stupid jokes--even the self-depreciating ones-and just show us the recipes.  

• Love 1

Oh, Chris.  *sigh*  I've been a huge fan apologist of Christopher Kimball, his PBS shows, and all of his publications since day one.  I grew accustomed to his prickly nature and his often-pissy interactions with his costars.  I was so dismayed to hear of his troubles (his ouster, the impending lawsuit, etc.), but intended to continue following his career and watch his new show.  I was so hoping that Milk Street would be on par with the excellent America's Test Kitchen and (the not quite as good, but still better than 99.9% of other cooking shows) Cook's Country.  Unfortunately, it just doesn't fit the bill.  The premise is educational, which is really all I ask from any cooking show, but the execution is quite lacking, in my opinion.  They basically visit a location, watch a chef cook a dish, then return to the studio to cook it again.  And that studio!  Wow.  Did anyone at Milk Street watch this show before it aired?  As others have said, the colors are so washed out.  There's way, way too much white and I spend half the episode wondering what's written on those boards in the background.  The chefs seem competent (I would expect nothing less from a Kimball employee), but maybe a little too hipster, if that makes sense.  I agree with others who have said that they're sick of cooking shows that incorporate travel.  What in the hell happened to cooking shows where the chef simply demonstrates the preparation of a dish in an attractive studio kitchen?  No travel sequences, no cameo appearances of "famous" chefs, no children (for the love of God, no more children), and no bullshit, time-filling storylines.  Just calm, informative cooking that didn't make you want to hurl your best cast iron skillet through the TV screen.  Julia Child, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

I'll continue watching Milk Street because I've been following Christopher Kimball for too long to stop now, but I'm sad to see how far he's fallen.  He was better with his old homegirls, Julia and Bridget (and vice versa).  They took the edge off of him and made him more palatable as a person and cook.  The new "co-chefs" seem very young and intimidated by him, which I totally understand, but is somewhat uncomfortable to watch.  That, combined with the distractingly white kitchen, makes for a pretty lackluster viewing experience that just doesn't measure up to the overall excellence that I've come to expect from Kimball productions and products.

Again, *sigh*.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

He was better with his old homegirls, Julia and Bridget (and vice versa).

We saw both America's Test Kitchen (or maybe it was Cook's Country; I can never remember which one I'm watching), and the first episode of Milk Street yesterday, and when we were watching the former, my husband commented that he didn't like the way Julia and Bridget interact with each other vs. when Chris was there.  He feels they're too conversational.  When we were watching Milk Street, I really noticed the difference and have to agree that I disprefer the style of Julia and Bridget together. 

I did not notice the white set!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

We saw both America's Test Kitchen (or maybe it was Cook's Country; I can never remember which one I'm watching), and the first episode of Milk Street yesterday, and when we were watching the former, my husband commented that he didn't like the way Julia and Bridget interact with each other vs. when Chris was there.  He feels they're too conversational.  When we were watching Milk Street, I really noticed the difference and have to agree that I disprefer the style of Julia and Bridget together. 

I did not notice the white set!

I completely agree.  Chris not being there has kind of ruined America's Test Kitchen for me.  It's just too different.  I'm a creature of habit, guilty as charged.  I'll still watch it simply because it's an ingrained habit by now, but a lot of the luster is gone for me since Chris left.  Julia and Bridget's interactions have a weird, underlying cattiness (in my opinion) that I find really unpleasant.  It's almost as if they're thumbing their noses at Chris as they move through the exact same script that he created.  Part of the allure of ATK was watching the ladies cool Chris' curmudgeonly ass down and poke delicate fun at his admittedly narrow palate.  With him gone, it's just two ladies cooking recipes and chatting with each other.  

• Love 3
On 9/24/2017 at 6:59 PM, janie jones said:

I know, I hate to say this because I love Julia and Bridget, but Mr. Snarkle called them the "new 2 fat ladies" yesterday and I could NOT stop laughing!!!  When I calmed down I did mention that I thought the original 2 fat ladies had far better on-screen chemistry together.  And that's the thing.  A cast is chosen with a lead and supporting characters and when you start making supporting characters the stars it often somehow doesn't work out.  It's a delicate balance with chemistry on these shows!

• Love 3
On 9/24/2017 at 10:49 AM, SuzyLee said:

<snip all sorts of stuff I basically agree with.>

Again, *sigh*.

@SuzyLee, I feel your pain, really I do.  I agree with everything you said but am hopeful to reap something positive from Chris' new show nonetheless.  I figure it might need a few seasons to work into itself and change a few things based on viewer feedback (like add some freaking COLOR already!).  I bought the Milk Street cookbook at Costco yesterday and there are some interesting things in it that I'd like to make.  It's far from a total loss and definitely not as disappointing as ATK and Cook's Country have become, despite needing sunglasses to watch it!

I'm a creature of habit too, and I think Chris' chemistry as host with all his supporting cast members worked very well.  It just throws the balance way off to take him out of the picture.  That's why I thought they should have looked for a suitable replacement for him that could fill his place without upsetting the balance too much. 

• Love 3

I know Andy Ricker is well respected in American chef circles and knows a great deal about Thai food, spends a lot of time there, etc. But it bothers me that they have had two outside experts to talk about two different Asian cuisines and both have been white.

That said I would pay to view the unedited footage of Chris eating a traditionally spiced Thai curry versus the two dishes we saw him eat where the person chooses the heat level based on the condiments.

• Love 5

That didn't bother me.  It might if it continued to be a pattern, though.  I think Chris is trying to "demystify" exotic cuisines with approachable recipes and perhaps spokespeople that can introduce that cuisine to a potentially unfamiliar audience, hence featuring Americans or Western Europeans that have immersed themselves in the cuisine versus natives.  I notice they put a different spin on it  that Chris may think makes it less intimidating for an American audience.  As if to show that they mastered it, and so can you.  After reading some of the recipes in the cookbook, I can bet that's what he's shooting for as the ingredient lists seem pared down and include maybe only one or two ingredients that have to be found in a gourmet or foreign market.  So I'm going with that - for now.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I think Chris is trying to "demystify" exotic cuisines with approachable recipes

That is his stated premise so I get that. I just think it's problematic that so far Chris has decided that the way to do that is with white chefs being the experts that they have chosen to feature. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, mishy said:

And the only way to get that across is if you see white people doing it?

Of course not, but there have been only two shows so far, so I prefer not jump to any conclusions.  ATK and Cook's Country were solidly white for over a decade but no one said a word about that.  Now suddenly just because Chris airs two episodes of a new series he becomes a suspect just because he's a white man and his guests have so far been white too?  I may be thrown off the board for saying this, but geez, what's with people these days?  And I'll refrain from being insulted that anyone would think they need to ask me of all people that question....

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 5
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Snarklepuss said:

Now suddenly just because Chris airs two episodes of a new series he becomes a suspect just because he's a white man and his guests have so far been white too?  I may be thrown off the

My issue was specifically the fact that they brought in outside experts in two different Asian cuisines and they were both white. Though I also have had an issue with how white ATK and CC have been.

• Love 6
On 9/29/2017 at 9:38 PM, biakbiak said:

My issue was specifically the fact that they brought in outside experts in two different Asian cuisines and they were both white. Though I also have had an issue with how white ATK and CC have been.

I asked my husband and best friend separately how they felt about this conversation re: ATK and Milk Street and they both got their backs up, saying that the next thing you know TV shows will find themselves expected to stop featuring Rick Bayless and Bobby Flay as experts in Mexican cooking because they're white.  I found it interesting that they both used these two chefs as an example separately.  And I didn't even expect that response from either of them to tell the truth!

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Snarklepuss said:

they both got their backs up, saying that the next thing you know TV shows will find themselves expected to stop featuring Rick Bayless and Bobby Flay as experts in Mexican cooking because they're white. 

No one was suggesting that, in fact in my first post I pointed out how respected and knowledgeable Andy is in Thai food. However, choosing the experts on the first two episodes of a new show that is supposed to highlight different cuisines is choice and it's a choice I will judge. 

It's not stopping me from watching the show but it is something that I note. They have a Mexico episode coming up, I actually imagine Rick and Bobby are too high profile for this show so maybe it will feature a non white chef.

• Love 3

I grew up in the Bronx in the '60s and '70s.  My classes looked like the U.N.  I was brought up color blind by my parents who worked with and were friends with people from all walks of life.  My apartment building, my wedding party and my DNA were represented by all continents except Antarctica and Australia.  So ironically (or perhaps not so ironically if you think about it), judging people for how well they integrate their TV shows after two episodes didn't even cross my mind.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I just watched a few minutes of the next episode, which is already up on the "Milk Street" site, and Rayna Jhaveri, an Indian chef is showing Chris how to make a Turkish meatball dish with tahini.

Reyna is a regular and already on the Thai episode. Based on the episode description this show doesn't appear to highlight an outside expert like the past three episodes have.

17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

No one was suggesting that, in fact in my first post I pointed out how respected and knowledgeable Andy is in Thai food. However, choosing the experts on the first two episodes of a new show that is supposed to highlight different cuisines is choice and it's a choice I will judge. 

It's not stopping me from watching the show but it is something that I note. They have a Mexico episode coming up, I actually imagine Rick and Bobby are too high profile for this show so maybe it will feature a non white chef.

They could go with Pati Jinich. At least she's Mexican and would come a lot cheaper than Bayless or Flay.  I doubt Flay would do it anyway, as he is married to Food Network. 

• Love 3

Another recipe that used a microwave! I will try tthe kofta. 

The hummus recipe is similar to the one I make and it's delicious, though I add garlic to mine. 

Not sure about the brownies but I might give it a try because the flavor description sounded like something I might like. 

I thought the show flowed better without the outside experts because of how the other three episodes had the expert go through their recipe and then recreated it in the test kitchen felt so repetitive.

• Love 1