Type keyword(s) to search

9-1-1 in the Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

2023 in Review: 16 Dumb Things TV Did This Year

#1 - Fox Hands 9-1-1 to ABC 

Sure, there might be an economic justification for moving the Ryan Murphy procedural (which is produced by Disney-owned 20th Television) from Fox to ABC. But in its sixth season, 9-1-1 averaged more than 7 million total viewers and a 1.0 demo rating (with Live+7 playback), numbers that were not only good enough for No. 1 among all Fox dramas, but would’ve qualified as the most-watched and top-rated entertainment program on ABC. Why give a competing network a hit show on a silver platter? Plus, the move only stands to confuse casual viewers, who might be thrown off by 9-1-1 airing on ABC while its spinoff, 9-1-1: Lone Star, continues to air on Fox. 

• Like 3
On 12/29/2023 at 3:42 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

9-1-1 comes to ABC on March 14 | Stream on Hulu

Dammit. I was going to quit this soap opera, but now it looks like they're going back to their disaster flick roots.

You know Athena and Bobby will just bob up into an air pocket, gasping, thinking "GODDAMMIT! ONE VACATION, is that TOO MUCH to ask for?!"

I assume this will happen right after they leave port or right when they return, so the ship is within LAFD "jurisdiction". (Coast Guard? What Coast Guard?)

• Like 3
  • LOL 7

Exclusive: Angela Bassett teases 'wet and wild' 9-1-1 season 7 opening emergency

Angela laughed when asked about the initial teasers which revealed the opening emergency will focus on a cruise ship. Admitting this is her "favorite opening" in seven seasons, she said: "It is going to be very wet and wonderful, wet and wild."

"It's a shortened season because we had such a crazy year in Hollywood, so we are going to give it to you, we won't be coasting, we are coming full throttle." 

• Useful 1

‘9-1-1’: Oliver Stark Says Season 7 Buck Is ‘A Brand-New Man’ & Doing What Makes Him Happy

What are Buck’s most important relationships this season?

There’s some really beautiful stuff between him and Eddie and kind of them being open and sharing things with each other that they may have been reluctant to share with—I know how that’s going to be taken. [Laughs] But it’s true. [They’re] there for each other in a very kind of open and non-judgmental way.

spacer.png

Well, we know Station 19 is in their last season. What if they’re gonna have a character or two move to Los Angeles and get hired at the 118?

• Like 1

Exclusive: 9-1-1's Oliver Stark previews 'intimate' 100th episode, says it will 'honor these characters'

"The 100th episode is a really great character episode. The heart of the show is the characters, right? The spectacle is lovely but if you didn't care about the people then the spectacle would wear off pretty quickly. We had these huge, chaotic, high-octane first three episodes of the season so to bring things down and have a more intimate character-driven episode is going to be a really nice breather and a way to honor these characters that we've spent seven seasons getting to know, and to really focus in on them – because they are the show." 

9-1-1 Recasts Harry: Here’s the Story Behind That Season 7 Surprise

“I reached out to Marcanthonee, who hadn’t been around for a minute, and I pitched him this story. I think he loved the story, but was just ready to do something new.”

Minear took this as an opportunity to rethink the character, recasting him with an actor who appeared slightly older. (“Ironically, I think the actors are about the same age,” Minear says with a laugh.)

spacer.png

(edited)

I fully applaud Oliver Stark for this post - IMHO, it's the tools posting the whiny "You've ruined my show - never watching again!" impotent threats/rants that need the chill pill. A huge thank you to all involved for the general inclusivity of the show, and specifically for giving Buck the freedom to explore who he is and what he wants in life. #RepresentationMatters

Buck-Stark post.jpg

Edited by giovannif7
  • Like 7
  • Love 8

Lots of interviews from Tim Minear, Lou Ferrigno Jr, and Oliver Stark.

Tim Minear talks about Buck's bisexuality and what's upcoming for the second half of the season

Lou Ferrigno Jr talks about his return to the series

A secondary Lou Ferrigno Jr interview, in more depth about Tommy and his role in this season

Oliver Stark talks about Buck's season 7 journey

Some potential spoilers in those interviews, including: 

Spoiler

The Buck bisexuality storyline almost didn't happen; not just availability of actors, but there was a very, very large chance that the storyline would have gone to Eddie. So there was a very real possibility the Tommy/Buck storyline would have been Tommy/Eddie. Things got changed up very last minute for unknown reasons.

Lou Ferrigno Jr spills a lot of information in his interviews, but it's very entertaining to read. He seems like a true fan of the show, even has come up with his own backstory and headcanons for Tommy. 

55 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Lou Ferrigno Jr spills a lot of information in his interviews, but it's very entertaining to read. He seems like a true fan of the show, even has come up with his own backstory and headcanons for Tommy.

I wonder if he's going to get into trouble for the little slippage.  It also makes me wonder about the Catholic guilt story and how far back it was planned. 

I read the articles, and I didn't think they spoiled things much for what's coming, it was more them talking about how they felt about their characters and what it felt like to get to play them. To me, it seemed like it was less about plot developments ahead, and more about process and backstory that Ferrigna imagined for himself, which isn't necessarily about the future, but more what helped him decide how to play the scenes in the present.

• Useful 1
47 minutes ago, possibilities said:

To me, it seemed like it was less about plot developments ahead, and more about process and backstory that Ferrigna imagined for himself, which isn't necessarily about the future, but more what helped him decide how to play the scenes in the present.

That's true. Although one thing he revealed, which isn't necessarily a spoiler but maybe could be depending on one's interpretation, is what he initially was told the story to be. 

Spoiler

And that is that the original story was supposed to be with Eddie. It got switched for some reason to Buck.  Personally, I do think it works better with Buck and is playing out a bit more playfully than it would have with Eddie.  But it maybe sort of kind of hints that the creators weren't necessarily firm about Eddie's sexuality.

As to whether that info needs to be behind spoiler tags is up for debate.  It depends on if this story means anything about the future.  Some people might think it does.  Personally, I don't.  But we really don't know.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

As to whether that info needs to be behind spoiler tags is up for debate.  It depends on if this story means anything about the future.  Some people might think it does.  Personally, I don't.  But we really don't know.

I would say, given how the initial storyline almost played out, it's on their mind and opens the door for them pursuing it in the future. I was iffy on whether to put it under spoiler tags, so did it just in case.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

To me, it seemed like it was less about plot developments ahead, and more about process and backstory that Ferrigna imagined for himself, which isn't necessarily about the future, but more what helped him decide how to play the scenes in the present.

I definitely don't think most of what Ferrigno has said is a spoiler. I love reading his thought processes on things, especially with his character, and his excitement really just shines through the interviews. I really find his interviewing style fascinating. 

He did say that he initially only signed on for four episodes, but I'm fairly confident that that plan has changed. 

Apparently, Tim Minear is still writing episodes 8-10, as well. They're very behind on production (probably due to the cruise ship filming) so the end of season 7 is still up in the air.

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I was iffy on whether to put it under spoiler tags, so did it just in case.

I didn't mean it was questionable as a critique.  I would have erred on the side of caution and tagged it too.