Type keyword(s) to search

9-1-1 in the Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

24 minutes ago, possibilities said:

It sounds from the article like he thinks he's already been burned as far as the ability to work, so he doesn't have anything to lose in that department. I don't know what actually happened, but every lawsuit will claim there was shockingly bad behavior on the part of whoever they are suing, so I think it's hard to guess from the article what really happened

Yes.
It seems legal counsel who understood the value to Dunbar of his life’s work would have counseled a more conciliatory solution rather than financial.

IDK. Maybe they thought he had burned too many bridges with TPTBs.

Still. Better to have quietly left the show, given that he’s got the talent and the experience to find a better fit in the future.  
Social media will forget, but a rep of being difficult to work with tends to last in a business that values name recognition.

Edited by shapeshifter

I mean, the show left the door open for him to return, if the vaccine mandate eventually loosened up or if Rockmond had decided to get the vaccine. I even think that the showrunner expressed interest in Rockmond hopefully returning one day. He just burned that bridge with this lawsuit. 

Even if Rockmond could win this lawsuit (which he never will since he's trying to go up against Disney), or get a small settlement out of it (more likely, he'll get some money but not that much), he most definitely guaranteed that he's not getting as big of a role as this one again, and this wasn't even a big role. Any chance of him to return was just shot down by himself. He could have gotten other roles a few years down the road that could have been prominent. Disney's likely just gonna bar him from any of their roles, which significantly narrows down the list of anything he could get. He's now earned himself a reputation of being difficult, all for what? 

He's 100% wrong in thinking that he already burned the bridge and lost roles; he had a chance before this lawsuit to get back in the business a few years down the line. Maybe not right away, but given a few years, he could have. Hell, he had a chance to return to 9-1-1, since this show is very likely still going to go on at least a couple more years, if not more. Now, he's all but guaranteed that this was his last big role. 

In one of the articles, he says he's part of a church that opposes vaccinations. But he's "not anti-vaxx". Except...it sounds like he IS anti-vaxx. And he also filed for religious exemptions AFTER he filed for medical exemptions, so if it was a religious reason, wouldn't he have filed for that first? And also, him trying to also file for racial discrimination, blaming Disney for keeping non-minority employees, but he and his lawyers apparently don't understand that he's in front of the camera and has to sometimes get intimate/close to people while other employees don't. There's a health risk that comes with his particular job right now.

Unfortunately, Rockmond really screwed himself over with this lawsuit. He's literally trying to go against DISNEY; how does he THINK it's gonna turn out for him? He isn't getting that million dollars that he wants; he'll get far less and won't get work like this for a long time, if ever again. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Unfortunately, Rockmond really screwed himself over with this lawsuit. He's literally trying to go against DISNEY; how does he THINK it's gonna turn out for him? He isn't getting that million dollars that he wants; he'll get far less and won't get work like this for a long time, if ever again. 

His absolute best case scenario is that Disney will give him the Eliza Dushku treatment, where she got 4 years of pay as a lead on the series. In Rockmond's case, 4 years of 85k per ep at 20 episodes a year comes out about 5 million. That sounds like a lot but taxes and lawyers fees are going to wipe out quite a bit, and he's never going to work again. Not only is he pissing off Disney, but he's pissing off Ryan Murphy. You literally cannot throw a stone in Hollywood and not hit someone who has worked on a Ryan Murphy show, and multiple ones at that. Rockmond has burned so many bridges he might as well pack it up and move to like Iowa or something.

He's claiming discrimination, saying he was denied an exemptIon as the only black male lead, while others were given exemptions. Anyone know if any of the actors got exemptions? I am wondering if maybe other positions on set were exempted. If other actors were, he just may have a case. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

I just saw a commercial for this show on USA Network.  Apparently they're airing reruns.   I didn't even know USA was still around.  

I think at this point they're just a syndication channel. There's only two actual scripted t.v. shows as part of their original line-up. They're owned by NBC Universal...I wouldn't be surprised if eventually the channel just gets absorbed into the Peacock app.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Some more details about the lawsuit, including the complaint:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/fox-911-rockmond-dunbar-sues-disney-vaccine-refusal-1235095806/

Dunbar's contract had $1.3 million left to be paid out. I'd think that that would be the limit to his damages, if he gets any -- even if he claims that he lost potential future income. (He could claim that loss, but I think Disney's on pretty firm ground in not employing him -- especially since they didn't kill off his character -- and I don't think they've defamed him.)

According to him, Disney didn't believe his religious beliefs were sincerely held because he has piercings and tattoos that he got before he joined the anti-vax Church of Universal Wisdom, which also prohibits tattoos and piercings. 

He claims that other actors who "couldn't" be vaccinated were given paid time off instead of being fired. Could he be talking about JLH? I know there was some confusion about whether pregnant women could be vaccinated. Or Howie Han? I'm trying to remember who got extended time off, but it's hard with a big cast like that. 

Edited by Mediocre Gatsby
4 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

Some more details about the lawsuit, including the complaint:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/fox-911-rockmond-dunbar-sues-disney-vaccine-refusal-1235095806/

Dunbar's contract had $1.3 million left to be paid out. I'd think that that would be the limit to his damages, if he gets any -- even if he claims that he lost potential future income. (He could claim that loss, but I think Disney's on pretty firm ground in not employing him -- especially since they didn't kill off his character -- and I don't think they've defamed him.)

According to him, Disney didn't believe his religious beliefs were sincerely held because he has piercings and tattoos that he got before he joined the anti-vax Church of Universal Wisdom, which also prohibits tattoos and piercings. 

He claims that other actors who "couldn't" be vaccinated were given paid time off instead of being fired. Could he be talking about JLH? I know there was some confusion about whether pregnant women could be vaccinated. Or Howie Han? I'm trying to remember who got extended time off, but it's hard with a big cast like that. 

If that is true, other actors given time off, not terminated, he will have a really good case. Pregnant women are advised to get the vaccine but that doesn't mean you can't find some doctor somewhere to give alternative advice. I will be bummed if they had a chance to get rid of JLH and didn't😀

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, chlban said:

If that is true, other actors given time off, not terminated, he will have a really good case. Pregnant women are advised to get the vaccine but that doesn't mean you can't find some doctor somewhere to give alternative advice. I will be bummed if they had a chance to get rid of JLH and didn't😀

I doubt he would have a good case, if it's pregnant JHL, because a) that would imply she was given time off to have the kid so she could get the vaccine afterwards, while Dunbar had no intention of ever getting it so time off wouldn't have changed anything for him, and b) I remember there being a lot of waffling on vaccines for pregnant women and not every country handled it the same. Friend of mine is absolutely pro-vaccine but she also waited to get it until she had her baby because she just wanted to be on the safe side. And JHL is 43, that's pretty much a high risk pregnancy in itself, I can see wanting to be extremely cautious in that case.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, KatWay said:

I doubt he would have a good case, if it's pregnant JHL, because a) that would imply she was given time off to have the kid so she could get the vaccine afterwards, while Dunbar had no intention of ever getting it so time off wouldn't have changed anything for him, and b) I remember there being a lot of waffling on vaccines for pregnant women and not every country handled it the same. Friend of mine is absolutely pro-vaccine but she also waited to get it until she had her baby because she just wanted to be on the safe side. And JHL is 43, that's pretty much a high risk pregnancy in itself, I can see wanting to be extremely cautious in that case.

44 minutes ago, KatWay said:

It may not have been JLH, he referred to others plural. Which makes it worse, if true. Yeah, there is a viable argument if she was one, but tougher to argue for any other actors. If there are other actors, which he is stating.

• Love 1

The way I took it was it was just a list of when the Season Finales would air.

Monday 5/15 is the finale for 911 and 911 Lonestar May 22 is Simpsons season finale.

Though a crossover would be a hoot!! :) 

• Love 2
On 8/1/2022 at 11:42 AM, ninjakid said:

Update on Rockmund Dunbar lawsuit. Sounds like the judge isn't buying his argument. 

This is an example of "actions have consequences".  He doesn't have to get the vaccine, but he has to suffer the consequences of that decision. 

I left my primary care physician's office (after 16 years) because I requested to NOT be in contact with any unvaccinated employees, and they refused.  They allow a religious exemption from vaccination.  I'm an atheist and don't believe religion has a place in science (or government, but that's another discussion).  I heard they lost many more patients after I left a Google review.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 8/9/2022 at 8:35 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

A blimp?

New color/logo 🔥🔥🔥

5C9241E7-D159-4BB8-85B2-70C1EA39AA87.jpeg

I think Aliens are invading. Just kidding.

Yeah a blimp crashing in to a stadium full of people would fit. Although usually they go for disasters with a precedent so they can pull details from that event. The only blimp disaster I can think of is the Hindenburg.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2022 at 11:42 AM, ninjakid said:

Given that Disney has been able to push back copyright laws every time Mickey Mouse has been up for public domain, I don't think they're going to have much problem burying Rockmund. Again, this was ridiculous. They made it extremely clear that the door was open for Michael to come back.

2 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Given that Disney has been able to push back copyright laws every time Mickey Mouse has been up for public domain, I don't think they're going to have much problem burying Rockmund. Again, this was ridiculous. They made it extremely clear that the door was open for Michael to come back.

I wonder if Rockmund Dunbar is just getting really bad legal and life-coaching advice. 
Seems like maybe both. 🥺
Hopefully some family members can intervene if necessary.

I was wondering why Michael was written off the show not being someone who has any interest in backstage drama I just figured the character had run its course.    To be honest I am surprised Michael has lasted as long as he had being Athena’s ex-husband and not being a first responder.     So Rockman Dunbar was always playing with a bad hand.   He isn’t necessary for the plot.  Marrying a doctor would have been an interesting  way to bring the hospital into the game but that just makes him a convenient connection.    As for the whole vax thing.  The mandates were never going to last forever but politics and religion have been egging people on (on both sides) and people have been making dumb angry decisions because of it.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Has anyone seen any info on Arielle Kebbel (Lucy) this season?  All I could find is a vague interview with her and a bunch of uninformative clickbait.  The Zoom scene in this season’s first episode with her was so odd.  I was thinking maybe the actress had a real-life ankle injury, Covid, or was working on another project, but the scene was pretty noncommittal on if she’d be back.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, mbluecpa said:

Has anyone seen any info on Arielle Kebbel (Lucy)

There was a preview of the season and the producer said they hoped to see her again later in the season. 

She was recurring.   My guess is that they decided not to make her a regular after bungling her introduction if that was even a consideration. 

On 10/4/2022 at 11:02 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

threesome would be more interesting lol but this show will probably do the family-friendly trope and go for the sperm donor storyline (and Buck'll reject it). I swear I just saw a sperm donor storyline in another show but forgot which one.

2 hours ago, KatWay said:

threesome would be more interesting lol but this show will probably do the family-friendly trope and go for the sperm donor storyline (and Buck'll reject it). 

Throuple arc didn't work out for Chris Alonso in SWAT.

I bet most of Buddie shippers will be saying that "Buck already has Christopher".

9 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Throuple arc didn't work out for Chris Alonso in SWAT.

I bet most of Buddie shippers will be saying that "Buck already has Christopher".

I don't know if the show even remembers the whole will thing (mind you I still don't get how you can list someone without their knowing). But then I don't know if the show remembers Buck's cancer-stricked brother either, if they're going the sperm donor route...pretty sure that would disqualify him?

9 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Or maybe The Resident where surgeon AJ donated his sperm to an annoying chick named Padma? 

I was actually thinking of TBBT lol but yeah, it's such a common storyline it pops up almost everywhere. The writers are really out of ideas it feels.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, KatWay said:

I don't know if the show remembers Buck's cancer-stricked brother either, if they're going the sperm donor route...pretty sure that would disqualify him?

I suppose it depends how formal the donating is. 

You don't need permission to donate sperm, anyone can do it and then the person using the donation can inseminate at home with a turkey baster. Before sperm banks became mainstream, and when they wouldn't work with non-straight people, it was done privately all the time. It's also way less expensive. But yes, it's not anonymous and most people prefer a sperm bank if they can afford it.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, Redrum said:

I suppose it depends how formal the donating is. 

informal or not, don't prospective parents normally ask for medical history? At least they did in all the other shows that had this storyline lol. But it's not like anything's gonna come of it tbh, it's just another filler plot for Buck it seems.

10 minutes ago, KatWay said:

nformal or not, don't prospective parents normally ask for medical history? At least they did in all the other shows that had this storyline lol. But it's not like anything's gonna come of it tbh, it's just another filler plot for Buck it seems.

Buck's brother had childhood leukemia which may have some genetic components but also may not.

Sperm donors mostly self report their medical history anyway. I mean, no, this isn't technically accurate but really, Bobby the fire captain isn't allowed to simply steal dogs from private citizens, either. 

And don't get me started on who pays the bill for calling several fire trucks for a dog overdosing. 

9 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The prospective parents said they didn't care about the medical history, they cared about the donor being a good person. Not everyone is a eugenics freak, some are sentimental.

I don't think trying to minimise the risk of your child dying young after long term suffering is being a "eugenics freak". There's a reason sperm banks are really strict about medical history. That said yeah childhood leukemia is mostly not considered a hereditary thing (though it can be) but it would normally come up in a discussion.

I'm probably overthinking this dumb soap opera plotline bc I'm annoyed I have to sit through yet another crappy iteration of it.

how about this, for maximum soap points: he does donate, they have the kid, the couple dies in a terrible disaster, suddenly Buck gets the kid! On this show, anything is possible.

• Like 1

'9-1-1' star Oliver Stark unpacks Buck's 'overwhelming' personal decision in the latest episode

What can you tell me about Buck's future and how this decision will affect him through the season?

Stark: This storyline doesn't actually come back until episode seven, so we are without it for a couple of weeks, but we start to see the difficulties that it presents. It's not going to be as straightforward as maybe he felt like it would be at the end of episode four. It's going to throw in some new challenges for him to deal with.

9-1-1's Jennifer Love Hewitt asked for Maddie 'to be with Chimney' on very first day on set

"It was just a gut feeling."

"Back on my first day of 9-1-1, [co-creator Tim Minear] asked me what I wanted to have happen for Maddie, and I said that I wanted her to be with Chimney," she tells EW of asking for her 9-1-1 dispatcher to pair with Kenneth Choi's firefighter paramedic. "He was kind of like, 'Wait, what?'"

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1