Type keyword(s) to search

9-1-1 in the Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

On 10/18/2022 at 3:34 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

9-1-1's Jennifer Love Hewitt asked for Maddie 'to be with Chimney' on very first day on set

"It was just a gut feeling."

"Back on my first day of 9-1-1, [co-creator Tim Minear] asked me what I wanted to have happen for Maddie, and I said that I wanted her to be with Chimney," she tells EW of asking for her 9-1-1 dispatcher to pair with Kenneth Choi's firefighter paramedic. "He was kind of like, 'Wait, what?'"

so one of the only things I gave the writers credit for (pairing Maddie with Chimney was unexpected but worked great - people were already rooting for him to find love, their dynamic was sweet) came from the actress? maybe they should give more input.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, LtKelley said:

Winning the Golden Globe and being nominated is usually a good sign. I also hate to put it in these terms but she's reaching an age where she might win simply due to body of work. 

Fair.  And since the 'body of work' win happens enough, I am ok with it if that is the reason she wins (if she does).  She should've won for Tina Turner.  To this day I believe her performance was head an shoulders above Holly Hunter's in the Piano. 

The Supporting Actress category is a stacked category.  I am rooting for her.

• Like 3
Just now, LtKelley said:

I really liked them both so I can't agree but I wish they'd tied. I looked at the list for best supporting actress and my fear is that Jamie Lee Curtis is also the right age for a "body of work" award and the film she's in is the favorite this year while Ms. Bassett was in a superhero pic. 

Very true BUT EEAAO is going to win at least one other acting award (Supporting Actor definitely and possibly Actress) so I'm hoping they spread the love. 

Angela FTW. 

• Like 2
Just now, SnazzyDaisy said:

Pure speculation...

Reveal spoiler

Lucy Donato!

Arielle Kebbel.jpg

Werent't they just added somewhat recently? Is anyone really hankering for their return? 🤷‍♀️

I'm trying to think of others that it could be but I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday so that's not going to be a particularly successful endeavor. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Werent't they just added somewhat recently? Is anyone really hankering for their return? 🤷‍♀️

I'm trying to think of others that it could be but I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday so that's not going to be a particularly successful endeavor. 

Maybe the writers are trying to give the not-so-likeable character a proper closure/send-off.

Am still hoping for Ravi or Michael or Harry...

That's just shocking. I'm glad ABC picked it up, but why would Fox let go of their most popular scripted series like this? Especially given that they renewed Lone Star. Is it budgetary reasons?

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

That's just shocking. I'm glad ABC picked it up, but why would Fox let go of their most popular scripted series like this? Especially given that they renewed Lone Star. Is it budgetary reasons?

This is pretty shocking because it's one of the biggest dramas on TV.  I'm guessing it is related to budgets.  Shows get more expensive the older they get but I would have expected this in maybe Season 8 instead of Season 7. 

And yes. Lone Star is not as old so it won't face this for another year or two.

The thing that shocks me the most is that it doesn't appear as if there were any rumors about it.  I had heard it hadn't yet been renewed but the belief was that it was a no-brainer.  And then I don't recall hearing rumors about it being shopped.  I'd have to imagine there would have been a bidding war for it. 

Or is it produced by a Disney subsidiary that makes it more cost effective to be on ABC because the parent company gets streaming and international money?

ETA: Okay, I probably should have read the article before posting because it sounds like that is exactly what happened.  It's owned by a Disney Studio so they get the streaming, syndication and international money from its production.  It sounds like FOX would only get what they can sell in ads.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3

Hmmm... I vaguely remember.. was it  last year there was a major issue with the salaries of the rest of the cast.  Apparently Oliver Stark (Buck) was making more than everyone else and they all lobbied for raises?  It could be that yeah, it is a long running show with a lot of the original cast still intact so it is very expensive. Also doesn't help that they paid for all those song rights.

• Like 2

I mean, good for 9-1-1 for at least having a new home to go to, and that should theoretically keep them safe for a couple of more years if this works out, but it'll be pretty weird to have two shows in the same universe on two different networks. I guess that eliminates any crossovers or at least makes it harder for them to have any. 

But even so, hopefully ABC doesn't jump in to change too much. Hopefully, these changes are for the better of the show.

And this also leaves Lone Star as the sole veteran series to boost ratings for the freshman shows next year. They can't rely on both 9-1-1s anymore, and Lone Star will now not be able to start airing in the winter; they'll need to bring it to the fall schedule to boost whatever freshman show they're dedicating their marketing toward. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
52 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

9-1-1 to move to ABC after Fox declines to renew it:

That is quite unexpected. I presume this precludes any more crossovers with 9-1-1: Lone Star

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
22 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Apparently Oliver Stark (Buck) was making more than everyone else and they all lobbied for raises? 

No.  I don't think he made more than the rest of the cast.  I am pretty sure Angela Basset has always made the most.  The latest numbers I could find for her were $450K per ep. I do remember reading that his relative raises likely were more than the rest of the cast because he started out earning much less than his castmates.  He didn't have many Hollywood credits so his starting quote was lower.  And because pay equity is such a hot button issue, when a show has become a solid hit, the belief is that actors doing similar work should be close in wages.  Usually, that benefits actors of color or actresses because they typically earn less than their white male counterparts.  It just so happened that on 9-1-1, that "benefitted" Oliver Stark the most. So if everyone got a per ep raise of 20%, I believe his per ep pay may have even doubled or tripled but it didn't mean he made more than others.  It just brought his pay closer to theirs.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2
  • Useful 5
5 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

No.  He didn't make more than the rest of the cast.  His relative raises were more than the rest of the cast because he started out earning much less than his castmates.  He didn't have many Hollywood credits so his starting quote was lower.  And because pay equity is such a hot button issue, when a show has become a solid hit, the belief is that actors doing similar work should be close in wages..  Usually, that benefits actors of color or actresses because they typically earn less than their white male counterparts.  It just so happened that on 9-1-1, that "benefitted" Oliver Stark the most. 

I'm sure the salary for Angela Bassett has to be pretty high to start

Still, very surprising given how well 9-1-1 is doing, but Fox doesn't own it so they don't benefit quite as much as owner ABC probably will

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, junemeatcleaver said:

9-1-1 to move to ABC after Fox declines to renew it

1 minute ago, LtKelley said:

Well, this is all very weird....

I wonder if there’s any connection with the fact that Hulu airs both ABC and FOX shows the day after they first air on their networks? 
Like maybe some merger stuff?

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

No.  I don't think he made more than the rest of the cast.  I am pretty sure Angela Basset has always made the most. 

Good info.  I was not thinking of  Angela and Peter in the mix because they are both EPs and I was sure they were making way more than the rest.  So yeah, maybe I was thinking about Oliver because he was the only one who got a raise the year before. 

• Like 2

What?  How?

I find it hard to believe that FOX’s scripted department is going to be better off for this, but I guess they had to come up with 700 mil somewhere.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
22 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

I don't see ABC wanting this show that badly since they have Station 19.

Maybe they decided they'd like a first responder show better than Station 19...

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, DanaK said:

I'm sure the salary for Angela Bassett has to be pretty high to start

Still, very surprising given how well 9-1-1 is doing, but Fox doesn't own it so they don't benefit quite as much as owner ABC probably will

I've joked that Disney is really trying to wind down Fox, but this is probably the actual answer. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I've joked that Disney is really trying to wind down Fox, but this is probably the actual answer. 

The irony is that the studio making the show is 20th Century Fox television (now 20th Television), which was owned by…Fox before Rupert Murdoch sold off nearly all of 21st Century Fox’s assets except for the Fox network

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Original is an ensemble show that started with multiple actors that people knew (Angela Basset, Connie Britton, Peter Krause, and Jennifer Love Hewitt), Lone Star has only really one (Rob Lowe).  I have to believe the cast cost is much higher add in location price and I imagine 911 costs a lot more. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
8 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

Original is an ensemble show that started with multiple actors that people knew (Angela Basset, Connie Britton, Peter Krause, and Jennifer Love Hewitt), Lone Star has only really one (Rob Lowe).  I have to believe the cast cost is much higher add in location price and I imagine 911 costs a lot more. 

Technically, Lone Star started with two (Rob Lowe and Liv Tyler), and OG had three (JLH didn't appear until season 2). But yeah, I totally see how the OG is higher in production cost.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Technically, Lone Star started with two (Rob Lowe and Liv Tyler), and OG had three (JLH didn't appear until season 2). But yeah, I totally see how the OG is higher in production cost.

I don't watch Austin but I'm assuming it's filmed on location. It probably gets tax credits to film there as well. A lot of shows that are set in Los Angeles actually film in Vancouver because it's cheaper. I think the first two seasons of Lucifer filmed in Vancouver despite the Los Angeles setting.

7 hours ago, DanaK said:

The irony is that the studio making the show is 20th Century Fox television (now 20th Television), which was owned by…Fox before Rupert Murdoch sold off nearly all of 21st Century Fox’s assets except for the Fox network

It does in a sense feel like Fox is winding down. There are so few scripted dramas left on the network that are actual hits.

• Like 1

I like this show, but I like Station 19 a lot more. I hope having both doesn't harm Sta 19.

I guess we wait and see.

It does seem like half the shows on TV these days are emergency/rescue shows. So maybe there's room for both.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

JLH wasn't part of the original cast. She pretty much ruined the show first me. I haven't watched at all this season, although it's still on my DVR.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

Saw on Deadline that Fox was paying $10 million/episode, for a show they don't own. Not surprised they pulled the plug.

The Variety article just said “in excess of 8 million”. That just seems like a crazy amount to me for a non-sci-fi show. What are they spending that on?

3 hours ago, DanaK said:

The Variety article just said “in excess of 8 million”. That just seems like a crazy amount to me for a non-sci-fi show. What are they spending that on?

I believe that the $8 million is what 20th Century (Disney) budgets for production. I'm guessing that would be salaries and the large set pieces (stunts) they do.

Then they turn around and charge Fox $9-10 million per episode. It probably made sense when it was still 20th Century Fox (seasons 1-4), and Fox could control the costs and get paid from syndication. That's gone now.

• Useful 1