Type keyword(s) to search

9-1-1 in the Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

On 8/25/2020 at 12:13 AM, Emily Thrace said:

I think there is a dearth of M/M friends who are portrayed as more than bros who like the same beer and sports teams. The type of relationships that Buck and Eddie have is rare on television. Men's relationships are often depicted as shallow or distant its part of the whole men can't deal with their emotions stereotype. So Buck and Eddie going through big emotional traumas and talking them through is huge. Compare the amount of time spent on the men's relationships on Friends or Grey's Anatomy compared to the female friendships. Stereotypes come in many forms and the idea that any deeper male relationship must be a romantic one is a damaging one in its own right.

Representation isn't a zero sum game, having Buck and Eddie as straight doesn't actually take anything away from the LGBT community. The writers have acknowledged the fans but aren't required to rewrite their story to appease them. I have always found it very entitled when slash fans call writers "homophobic" for not giving them the story they want. That's not how television works its not a conspiracy its often that the writer's have plan we are not privy to. Personally I think TPTB want Buck to be free and single so he can do the romance of the week when its needed to spice things up.

Bisexuality is under represented but I don't really see any indication either character is bi. If there was the episode with the older gay couple would have been the perfect moment to show one or the other was hiding something or some feelings. But Buck is very much an open book and seems a bit to comfortable in his own skin to be over compensating. Eddie is harder to read but I think his flirtation with the school teacher shows where they are going with his character.

I disagree; I think it's why there are so many popular slash ships to begin with, because there are so many super close, emotionally deep friendships between guys. Honestly, I think it's the "bros who like the same beer and sports teams" types of friendships that are rare in media. It's way more common that you see "bromances" (and, I'd argue, why that's even a term in the first place) where they're incredibly close and going through all this dramatic, emotional stuff together, at least that I've seen. Maybe we're watching different things, though, and interpretations vary.

I do agree that deep, emotionally complex relationships that are completely platonic are more rare than they should be, but I'd argue it's a much bigger issue with male/female friends than male ones. Where I think homophobia comes in is the double standard. So much of the time, when there's even the slightest hint that two male characters might get together, people freak out, but where are all the "why can't they just be FRIENDS?!" people when it's yet another male/female relationship turning romantic?

As for writers/PTB, I certainly hope there's not anyone calling Ryan Murphy homophobic because that would be ridiculous. There are cases where I do feel like homophobia on the part of the writers is a factor (including one very recent example where someone lost their job and homophobia was one of the many accusations of people who actually worked with them) but I haven't seen any evidence that that's the case here and haven't seen anyone saying it is (as with everything, I'm sure there's someone, somewhere saying it, but unless I'm missing something big, I don't think it's happening on any wide scale).

Like I've already said, I'm not particularly invested in this particular friendship turning romantic because I don't like the way a lot of TV writers write romances, and these particular writers, based on past projects, fall into that category (and honestly, I've lost a lot of the enthusiasm I once had for this show), but my main point is that I don't think it would be some completely crazy, out of left field thing if it were to actually happen because they haven't actually been established as straight. Like you mentioned, they've had opportunities to establish that they weren't, but as someone who's watched almost every show Ryan Murphy's done, I'll readily admit that thinking ahead isn't always a priority. There's also no reason to assume "hasn't explictly said they're gay/bi=must be straight" because there are plenty of reasons why someone wouldn't want to say it at a particular time (although I'll admit I might be reading too much into fictional characters here!).

And honestly, I get the frustration on the part of some fans who want the show to go there when many of them are desperate for representation. I feel like if a relationship is intended to be 100% platonic forever, I don't think it's too much to ask for the writers to make that clear from the beginning instead of this will they/won't they grey area, where they've actually admitted that certain things were intentionally framed in a romantic way. Why do that when there's no intention of it going anywhere? I don't think it's entitled at all to want some payoff when the writers have been intentionally adding things to appeal to those fans, and I don't understand criticizing the fans for feeling disappointed when it doesn't lead anywhere. If anything, I think it's unfair of the writers to try to play both sides, to intentionally play up the ambiguity for that subset of fans, to get views/get people talking, if they know that it's not going to lead anywhere. I mean, I get that hyping things up is a big part of advertising (it's why misleading previews are such a well-known thing, etc.) but I can't blame people for being annoyed at thinking they might actually go there this time, only to be let down yet again.

No, it's not a zero sum game, as you pointed out, but can you think of even one example where a close male/male platonic friendship turned romantic? Because I can't. It seems like with same sex relationships, it always follows the formula of "well, they're both gay, so obviously they're going to be a couple" and it happens relatively quickly (at least relative to when both characters are introduced, if they're not both around from the beginning). I can't blame people for wanting the type of relationship that's common with straight couples (like Bones, The X-Files, apparently Castle although I haven't seen that one, etc.) where there's years of buildup and backstory. You never see that kind of thing with a same sex relationship, ever (which is also part of the reason I find it hard to call slash fans entitled, because they've never gotten what they wanted; all the relationships they wanted to get together stayed "just friends").

I'm not calling you (or anyone who doesn't want this particular relationship to be romantic) homophobic, because people have different tastes and different interpretations of characters and their relationships, and that's obviously fine, but there are some people who get upset every time there's even the slightest suggestion that a platonic male/male relationship could turn romantic (with the implication, of course, that it would be bad if it did). If platonic male friendships becoming romantic was some widespread thing (or those people got equally bothered when yet another male/female platonic relationship became romantic), then I could buy the "they just value platonic relationships!" argument, but when it's an ongoing pattern, I feel like accusations of homophobia might have some merit.

• Love 2

I will watch the first episodes, but if their use of masking is driven by seeing stars' faces without considering logic, I'm out. So far the 2 shows I've seen (SVU and All Rise) did not have any consistency, and, as with any plot points, it's got to not destroy my suspension of disbelief. 

• Love 1
On 5/18/2021 at 3:16 PM, anna0852 said:

Time a rousing game of Hide Your Pregnancy!

It'd be funny if they just gave Maddie a binge-eating disorder that makes her gain a lot of weight. I think they did that on Fraiser with Daphne, only it was played entirely for laughs. 

Anyway, cast pay negotiations:

911 Cast Eying Raises Ahead of Season 5

Angela Bassett is looking at 450k per episode, Peter Krause is looking at 300k per episode, JLH is somewhere lower than that, but higher than the rest of the cast who are getting to about 80k an episode. I'd guess 250k-275k.

Rockmond Dunbar started off as the least paid actor of the show but is now on par with the rest of the cast at the 80k-ish per ep level, after he already got a raise for season 4. I would get he probably started off at about 25-30k in season 1, went to 55-65k in season 4 to put him at the rest of the cast, and now the third tier cast are all making about 80k.

Edited by methodwriter85
23 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

It'd be funny if they just gave Maddie a binge-eating disorder that makes her gain a lot of weight. I think they did that on Fraiser with Daphne, only it was played entirely for laughs. 

Anyway, cast pay negotiations:

911 Cast Eying Raises Ahead of Season 5

Angela Bassett is looking at 450k per episode, Peter Krause is looking at 300k per episode, JLH is somewhere lower than that, but higher than the rest of the cast who are getting to about 80k an episode. I'd guess 250k-275k.

Rockmond Dunbar started off as the least paid actor of the show but is now on par with the rest of the cast at the 80k-ish per ep level, after he already got a raise for season 4. I would get he probably started off at about 25-30k in season 1, went to 55-65k in season 4 to put him at the rest of the cast, and now the third tier cast are all making about 80k.

This shouldn't surprise me, but it is eye opening and a reminder. People say I shouldn't shop Amazon because rea$on$, but then I'd have to give up TV too if I don't want to support the 1%.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

People say I shouldn't shop Amazon because rea$on$, but then I'd have to give up TV too if I don't want to support the 1%.

I think the situations are different.  With Amazon, the head honchos don't treat or pay their employees very well while they rake in a ton of money.

The fact that actors are getting big raises indicates the opposite.  The production company gets all the big money from distribution.  It'd be Amazon-esque if they didn't pass some of that money to their actors. And yeah, they'll make more than I could ever imagine but they make more for their bosses than I make for mine.

• Love 2
On 8/3/2021 at 10:18 PM, Irlandesa said:

I think the situations are different.  With Amazon, the head honchos don't treat or pay their employees very well while they rake in a ton of money.

The fact that actors are getting big raises indicates the opposite.  The production company gets all the big money from distribution.  It'd be Amazon-esque if they didn't pass some of that money to their actors. And yeah, they'll make more than I could ever imagine but they make more for their bosses than I make for mine.

It's pretty interesting because the show technically is way below the "profitable syndication mark" of 88 episodes, but that old model doesn't really matter as much as it used to, especially given that this show is distributed on Hulu. I wonder if it will eventually go into traditional syndication- the show is procedural enough that you probably could.

On 9/9/2020 at 10:12 PM, marina707 said:

No, it's not a zero sum game, as you pointed out, but can you think of even one example where a close male/male platonic friendship turned romantic? Because I can't. It seems like with same sex relationships, it always follows the formula of "well, they're both gay, so obviously they're going to be a couple" and it happens relatively quickly (at least relative to when both characters are introduced, if they're not both around from the beginning). I can't blame people for wanting the type of relationship that's common with straight couples (like Bones, The X-Files, apparently Castle although I haven't seen that one, etc.) where there's years of buildup and backstory. You never see that kind of thing with a same sex relationship, ever (which is also part of the reason I find it hard to call slash fans entitled, because they've never gotten what they wanted; all the relationships they wanted to get together stayed "just friends").

this part I agree with and I'm kind of baffled no show has attempted this yet. I love representation but TV viewers looooove the will-they-won't-they-best-friends-but-maybe-more iconic couples and they're usually the center stone of a lot of shows. If there's a gay character, and another gay character is introduced, they're usually dating by ep 2. So I get why this is such a popular ship, if one of them was a girl, the expectation would absolutely be that they'll end up together.

I like Buck and Eddie as friends, but I don't need everyone on the show to be coupled up with a love interest. I feel like keeping them mostly single and teasing the ship occasionally would be enough to keep fans happy. Aside from that, they need to make the love interests interesting too if they're gonna take up screentime with so many characters as it is, I guess Taylor has some personality but Ana is just there. Beautiful actress but not the strongest, and the guy playing Eddie is often quite weak too so they need to stop pairing him up with guest actresses like her and Ronda. Honestly I find him really bad in some scenes. The guy who plays Buck acts circles around him - if anyone deserves a raise in negotiations it's him (he was pretty unknown before, right? I don't recall having seen him in anything before).

Edited by KatWay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, KatWay said:

The guy who plays Buck acts circles around him - if anyone deserves a raise in negotiations it's him (he was pretty unknown before, right? I don't recall having seen him in anything before).

In an article posted about the negotiations and raises of the cast that recently happened, it was mentioned that Oliver Stark got the biggest raises each season previously because he started so far below his fellow cast members. He's the youngest main cast member and most of his work was done in the UK.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

In an article posted about the negotiations and raises of the cast that recently happened, it was mentioned that Oliver Stark got the biggest raises each season previously because he started so far below his fellow cast members. He's the youngest main cast member and most of his work was done in the UK.

well deserved then! He's definitely one of the strongest actors on the show for me, which really surprised me.

• Love 3

‘9-1-1’: Vanessa Estelle Williams Joins Fox Drama Series

EXCLUSIVE: Soul Food alumna Vanessa Estelle Williams has joined the Season 5 cast of Foxdrama series 9-1-1 in a heavily recurring role.

Williams will play Claudette Collins, a take-control 9-1-1 Call Center veteran who transfers back to the main Los Angeles station and shows the younger ones, including May Grant (Corinne Massiah), “how it’s done.” Claudette is tough but fair, outspoken, and confident as hell.

Williams’ character will be introduced in Monday night’s episode.

C0A0B12C-3F09-473C-9109-A9B98CFB12DB.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/12/2021 at 11:16 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

Yeah, not so much. LOL. I think May borders on MarySue-ism at times, but this new character was *anything* but fair to her.

Omg! I hate Claudette and her excessively curled faux eyelashes, grr!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Good for him.

what? dude was making an easy 80k per episode doing barely anything. Hella stupid of him to lose good money for no good reason, anyone could have told him that productions were gonna insist on the vaccine for insurance reasons alone.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, KatWay said:

what? dude was making an easy 80k per episode doing barely anything. Hella stupid of him to lose good money for no good reason, anyone could have told him that productions were gonna insist on the vaccine for insurance reasons alone.

Given the lengthy send-off of flashbacks in his final episode, I'm wondering if he had a medical reason for not getting vaxxed (there are probably a few instances of that?) and it was just not safe for the other cast and crew to have him on set (hence insurance requirements). The story line being left open to his return also supports that theory. 
But then why not explain it?
I guess it could be something he doesn't want to share (like being immunocompromised due to something else that he feels is nobody's business).
Or maybe he doesn't want to be the one copycats are basing their reason on for not getting vaxxed when they do not have any real reasons other than selfishness or stupidity. 
Or has Dunbar stated anything to disprove my guesses?

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Given the lengthy send-off of flashbacks in his final episode, I'm wondering if he had a medical reason for not getting vaxxed (there are probably a few instances of that?) and it was just not safe for the other cast and crew to have him on set (hence insurance requirements). The story line being left open to his return also supports that theory. 
But then why not explain it?
I guess it could be something he doesn't want to share (like being immunocompromised due to something else that he feels is nobody's business).
Or maybe he doesn't want to be the one copycats are basing their reason on for not getting vaxxed when they do not have any real reasons other than selfishness or stupidity. 
Or has Dunbar stated anything to disprove my guesses?

According to the articles announcing his departure, he tried to apply for a waiver for medical reasons and religious reasons, both which were turned down by FOX (presumably because neither were good enough reasons to stay on the show while unvaccinated). 

But it seems like he has a good relationship with the showrunner, or so I've read, which is why the door is still open for his return should the mandate be dropped or if FOX grants him the waiver in the future to return. That, and this show doesn't kill off main characters. 

• Useful 3

He tried both religious and medical. That kind of tells me that he was throwing spaghetti on the wall trying to see if anything sticks.

Sorry, not sorry.

Ironically, he's cooked.

I have stopped watching two show ( The Rookie and New Amsterdam) this new seasons because they were going so off the rails it wasn't fun or engaging to watch anymore. This show is getting close to being dropped...I fast forwarded through most of the prison episode with the idea that I missed the goofy emergencies they used to have. But I like how Disney wasn't buying the Bull that was being presented by this actor, so I will stick around and hope it gets back to the formula that made it fun, silly tv watching.

• Love 2

Did anyone see Ryan Guzman's instagram story where he shared a Joe Rogan post comparing the US to Nazi Germany with regard to the vaccines...lol. He must be vaccinated cause otherwise they wouldn't let him work with Gavin, hopefully, but honestly I'm not surprised that he's one of those. Based on his previous controversies he's dumb as a box of rocks.

wonder if they'll ever write him out, his co-workers have certainly hinted at being annoyed with him and his terrible takes on social issues before.

Edited by KatWay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

Pretty stupid of him. He just had a coworker fired for not vaxing, the fall season ended with his character quitting and there's even been mention of arrangements for his on-screen child to stay on the show. In short, his character can be removed with little fuss if needs be.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 1/16/2022 at 5:22 PM, anna0852 said:

In short, his character can be removed with little fuss if needs be.

There are MANY pretty, fit actors in Hollywood who would LOVE his role (and salary).

• Love 6

Well I guess that's a bridge burned.

"Rockmond Dunbar has filed a lawsuit against Disney and 20th Television over his firing from the television series “9-1-1.” Dunbar — who played Michael Grant for five seasons on the Fox procedural, which is produced by the Disney-owned studio 20th Televsion — is unvaccinated against COVID. The actor said he filed paperwork to the studios seeking a religious and medical exemption for the COVID vaccine."

• Love 1

Wow, what an idiot. Rockmond is going to burn a bridge with Disney?  Seriously? He might wind up being able to settle with Disney. The best case scenario is that they pay him for 4 seasons- so that'd be about 85k for about 60 episodes. That gets him like 5 million. Not bad, right? But a hell of a lot of that is going to be eaten up by lawyer's fees, and he's never going to work again. Dude is not Scarlett Johansson. He also made the personal choice to not get vaccinated and for him to claim discrimination because he's black is absolutely disgusting.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

He also made the personal choice to not get vaccinated and for him to claim discrimination because he's black is absolutely disgusting.

Maybe discrimination (specifically religious?) was the real issue:

The lawsuit notes that other unvaccinated “9-1-1” cast and crew members were given exemptions, . . .

“The administrators who work for [the studios] never took Mr. Dunbar’s requests for accommodations seriously,” the lawsuit states. “They openly mocked his beliefs and proceeded to deny Mr. Dunbar his accommodations based on nothing more than rank hearsay and assumptions. Defendants refused to believe Mr. Dunbar’s doctor’s recommendation, and they refused to engage with Mr. Dunbar in any meaningful interactive communication regarding his religious beliefs.”

According to Dunbar, the studios then terminated his employment agreements and refused to pay him the hundreds of thousands of dollars that are still owed to him. The actor also said the studios “wrongfully leaked negative information” about his firing to the media to “deliberately make it sound” like he was an anti-vaxxer. As a result, Dunbar has “became persona non grata in his industry.”

(variety.com/2022/tv/news/911-rockmond-dunbar-sues-covid-firing-disney-fox-1235185005/)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1

If Disney can get themselves out of this by paying Rockmond the remainder of what his season 5 contract was and nothing more, I'm going to laugh myself silly. Shades of ABC getting to settle with Suzanne Somers for 30k back in 1981 and then she went from being a highly sought-after actress to not working for three years.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, marceline said:

Michael's COVID death in Haiti

...preferably from a communicable disease he caught because he declined a vaccine.

It sounds from the article like he thinks he's already been burned as far as the ability to work, so he doesn't have anything to lose in that department. I don't know what actually happened, but every lawsuit will claim there was shockingly bad behavior on the part of whoever they are suing, so I think it's hard to guess from the article what really happened. 

• Love 2