Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

I looked at the site for the talks, actually on Facebook if you click the link you are get to 2 free tickets... But Amy is literally the only one I have heard of and there are like 10 speakers. They are all categorized, and Amy's title is perseverance, there is motivation, financial, and stuff like that, I should probably just add the link.

Camerino's story was so real and tragic. Here was all the faux drama between Amy and Matt, and here was a truly touching story in the midst as kind of a dramatic twist. Gosh! I hope he will not have to be separated from his family for any length of time. 

• Love 5

I'm not trying to start WW3, but, can't Camerino's family go with him?   Honestly, just a question.  I'm just wondering because on RHNJ, Joe Guidice may be deported when he's released from prison and Teresa, his wife, has said his family would move to Italy so that the family would stay intact.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 1

I am going to answer in the spirit of not starting world war three. First Joe Guidice probably won't be deported because he's still rich and is kinda a celebrity. Second, Camerino at the end of the day is one of Matt Roloff's farmhands. He's not making the kind of money where you casually uproot the family to a different country and have realistic expectations of living on a similar level. Third, Italy and Mexico are two very different places and I am willing to bet that if Joe Guidice was making Camerino's wages, his family would be staying in the USA.

If Camerino's children were born in the US, they can't casually move back to Mexico and just declare themselves mexicans

• Love 7

I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea if children born in the US to Mexican citizens are dual citizens. They are certainly born US citizens. I can tell you as someone born to a born citizen of the UK that dual citizenship is not some automatic privilege other countries grant. From Mexico's perspective, Camerino's US born children are US Citizens that the US needs to tend and not their problem.

As to why Camerino was deported? He was in the country illegally. I will actually throw the Roloffs a bone or two for offering him some help but the reality here is that there's no way Matt hasn't known for years that he was breaking the law by employing an illegal alien.

The sad thing in this situation is that it's only Camerino who is punished.

• Love 2

Not true, his family is suffering. Amy specifically  said he had a work permit. In California Matt could  be fined or jailed  for employing an illegal  alien.

If one of your parents  was born in Mexico the paperwork for duel citizenshipis fairly simple, costs $13 and can be filed with tge Counselate 

Edited by Willowsmom
  • Love 2

Then if you knew that, why did you ask me? :)

And if that's the case, great for the daughters, but is Camerino's wife of similar status. And, not to diss Mexico, but I have had the impression that based on all the illegal immigration to the US, that there's probably a reason so many people prefer living and working in the US...

I have been following the problem on the various Roloff sites and the real issue is that he didn't have a *valid* work permit. That it dragged out over several years is likely due the Roloffs helping him but at the end of the day, considering how many people get to stay, I have to assume Camerino wasn't deported despite having perfectly valid and up to date legal paperwork allowing him legal status in the US. I mean, the poor man was deported. Because it's easily checked on, I suspect the tv show isn't lying that he was deported.

• Love 1

I teach in a school where 65% of the population is Hispanic and Camerino's story made me think of many of my students and their families.  It's a sad situation all around. However, I do wonder if Amy's lamenting over Camerino supposedly never seeing his kids again is a little exaggerated. I'm not exactly sure how the process of deportation works,  but I think "never" is a strong word.

• Love 3

I confess, for similar reasons, my soul isn't bleeding for Camerino's situation but it is too bad. I'm more amused that despite their often right wing politics, the Roloffs aren't against hiring under the table, and were on board with employing someone in the country illegally and denying an American a good job. But then I've never gotten the sense the Roloff family much cared for actually practicing what they preach.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I confess, for similar reasons, my soul isn't bleeding for Camerino's situation but it is too bad. I'm more amused that despite their often right wing politics, the Roloffs aren't against hiring under the table, and were on board with employing someone in the country illegally and denying an American a good job. But then I've never gotten the sense the Roloff family much cared for actually practicing what they preach.

Or maybe conservatives aren't all the same and as black-and-white as the world like to think they are. I don't mean to be a Roloff apologist--they have few redeeming factors--but I think this election has grilled into people's heads that, whichever side of the aisle you support, you have to be all-in. You don't, and in my opinion, that's what's caused a lot of the division over the whole thing.

I also want to say I don't necessarily condone hiring illegal immigrants or remaining illegal for so long when you could've changed it. That being said, I don't know why Camerino didn't take care of his legal status before now. Maybe he had good reasons, I don't know. Laws aside, though, deportation will be rough on his kids and I hope he can work something out later.

Edited by sucker4reality
  • Love 2

I think - and I risk becoming too political so I get that - that this example, the Roloffs, conservative and prone to harping on their good old fashioned values of complete with a whole lotta hooha on how they are farmers and Americans loudly whining how the government is oppressing them with rules and regulations... all while smirking and grinning on how damn smart they are to hire illegals for cheap and pay them under the table, is why people disconnect so badly on this topic. The reality here is that this is a business that is completely comfortable displaying on tv without fear of legal backlash that they were employing someone without legal status. This is why illegal immigration works - why SHOULD a business man pay an American worker a living wage when he can pay a Mexican half that and he won't be in any trouble at all? That the Roloffs would then use the poor guy's situation as an activity to exploit on their reality show is just added ickyness. That said, the real loser here is Camerino.

• Love 6

I don't know enough about this law and this situation to stand my ground on it, but at this point, it is impossible for me to believe that the Roloffs—Matt particularly—didn't have a major role in creating this situation.

If any actual truth about the Roloff mentality has ever been depicted (and the extent of that is a good question), that truth is surely Matt's belief that he is above the law and above the wishes of his quiet neighborhood. His nearly constant quarreling with Washington County and his neighbors over those pesky public safety regulations, his constant dance to thwart and dodge established statutes of business conduct, his self-expressed cleverness in the face of public measures that restrict his "dreams," his stated belief that all regulation brought to bear on him is due to official jealousy of him and intended to "get the midget"—all this infantile nonsense, detailed season after season, convinces me that Roloff has no concept of responsible behavior inside a community of equals, and no intention to follow any law if he feels he is unobserved.

Matt has painted this picture of himself, by himself. So, it is impossible to believe that in his cleverness—and believing himself unobserved—Roloff followed any part of immigration law in any serious way. But now he (and Camerino) got caught at it . . . 

Apparently, Camerino came here with a work permit. The permit expired, but Camerino stayed. It's my understanding that that situation—staying past agreed time—is the single most common transgression of the law among undocumented immigrants (the eleven million Jeremy's Election Miracle is going to deport in January). It seems to me that employers have great responsibility to know, and to monitor, the dates and circumstances of their employees' permits, if only to protect themselves.

Why didn't clever Matt Roloff do this?

(Addition) I agree that using this tragedy—to which they are surely a contributing party—to hype their show and hide their participation is cheap beyond words. 

Edited by Mike p.
Addition
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

It was that Camerino is being deported.

I don't think so. It was something else (because everyone already knew that) but the show ended before Amy told Matt what was in the mail, so we will have to tune in again to find out.

I don't know why people jumped to conclusions and assumed Camerino was trying to stay in the states illegally and not trying to become a citizen? Looks like that is what he has been trying to do. I don't know the process in the states I will admit but it certainly has happened here in Canada where people try for years (and spend thousands of dollars) to be allowed to stay and end up getting deported anyway. I think Camerino should be allowed to stay, and the useless Jer and Odd be deported. I don't know of any country that might want them, but since their whole contribution to society appears to be their useless website, I can't imagine they would be missed.

• Love 1

In regards to the petition, whoever does the marvelous proofreading of Jer and Auj's site clearly did a similar job here... only sadly it could affect whether the petition is taken seriously.

Because I have no wish to be a dick to Camerino or his family, I will simply say that the petition makes a lot of claims without backing up any of the claims with real facts. If Camerino's lawyer was disbarred, then name that lawyer - it's not libel or against the law if it actually happened. Likewise with the "Camerino was FALSELY CONVICTED of drug possession" - frankly that's a big bomb to drop anyway and even before the election, people were taking a hard line towards illegals committing crimes.

I absolutely believe it could be a false conviction.... but honestly this is kind of an important thing to have left out for years, that nine years ago your beloved handyman was convicted (falsely or not) for drug possession.

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 2

I don't think the cliffhanger is about Camerino either.  When Amy walked into Matt's room, one of them said something about the deportation.  So, Amy knew that Matt knew about it.  Unless the letter that they'd just received had a date for when it would happen, I think it's about something else.

2 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Matt Roloff posted a petition here:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/866/349/208/stop-the-deportation-of-camerino-and-demand-a-complete-review-of-his-legal-case./

with some more details. He claims a disbarred lawyer botched Camerino's case, and also reveals a pesky little drug conviction.

Matt lays it on a little bit thick about just how bad off he is and also really needs someone to grammar check his writing. I'd be interested to know when that was actually put up. Depending on how Camerino entered the country (work permit, educational permit, legal permanent resident, illegally, etc.), the drug arrest probably put him back on Immigration's radar. Conviction of 3 misdemeanor or 1 felony drug charge makes a person removable, even if everything else is in compliance. But since his conviction hasn't been overturned, ICE isn't going to just decide the conviction was invalid.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, MegD said:

Matt lays it on a little bit thick about just how bad off he is and also really needs someone to grammar check his writing. I'd be interested to know when that was actually put up. Depending on how Camerino entered the country (work permit, educational permit, legal permanent resident, illegally, etc.), the drug arrest probably put him back on Immigration's radar. Conviction of 3 misdemeanor or 1 felony drug charge makes a person removable, even if everything else is in compliance. But since his conviction hasn't been overturned, ICE isn't going to just decide the conviction was invalid.

I think you're right.

I wondered how Camerino caught the attention of authorities, and the drug conviction answers that question.

If that hadn't happened, maybe he and Roloff would have got away with their deception.

• Love 1

Another thing about the petition being successful is a matter of timing.   Government offices are frequently in turmoil after a major election, especially when a different party in taking over.  Senior staff and appointees are more focused on finding new jobs than looking at another petition.  So, depending on when the actual deportation is to take place, it may be pointless.  And, frankly, nothing stands out that makes it a particular compelling argument for him to stay. There are probably thousands with the same story, sans the drug conviction.

He was convicted of unlawful posession of cocaine, driving under the influence of intoxcicants,  reckless driving, after he drove his car into a ditch. Police searched the vehicle which needed to be towed. He called Matt and Matt went to the scene. This is listed under "Facts" in a page you can find by searching his name. It comes up as a PDF which I have no clue how to link, and it doesn't allow copying to paste it here. Full name, Camerino Gonzalez Sanchez.

• Love 1

Found it elsewhere:

Petitioner was convicted of unlawful possession of cocaine, driving under the influence of intoxicants, and reckless driving, arising out of an incident in which he drove his car into a ditch. After petitioner had driven his car into the ditch, the police arrived. The car was partially in the ditch and partially in the roadway. As a result, the police determined that the car needed to be towed. Before towing the car, police conducted an inventory search and discovered drugs. The police gave petitioner Miranda warnings in English, and petitioner proceeded to make incriminating statements. At his criminal trial, petitioner's trial counsel unsuccessfully moved to suppress evidence seized during the inventory search and petitioner's incriminating post-Miranda statements. We summarily affirmed petitioner's direct appeal.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/or-court-of-appeals/1707297.html

Edited by ginger90
forgot the link !
  • Love 2

Thanks for the link. Sadly in looking thru it, the appeal seemed based  on petty procedural stuff. I don't know how there could be new, decision changing evidence in a drug possession case (no one really seems to be disputing the drugs). But you know what? I can't fault them for trying. Hopefully Camerino will have some good luck.

3 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Another thing about the petition being successful is a matter of timing.   Government offices are frequently in turmoil after a major election, especially when a different party in taking over.  Senior staff and appointees are more focused on finding new jobs than looking at another petition.  So, depending on when the actual deportation is to take place, it may be pointless.  And, frankly, nothing stands out that makes it a particular compelling argument for him to stay. There are probably thousands with the same story, sans the drug conviction.

The level of people who would be working on this are not the ones who will be replaced or looking for new jobs.  What can change is interpretations of policy even before laws are changed.

8.  The court went on to say that, in any case, it was “not persuaded that admission of the evidence concerning the cocaine in the car had a tendency to affect the result of the trial,” because “cocaine was also found in a baggie that a deputy observed fall out of the petitioner's pocket, when petitioner was not in the car.” Thus, the court noted “the pocket baggie was sufficient for a conviction even if the baggie in the car had never been discovered.” Petitioner does not challenge that conclusion on appeal.

Cocaine. Pure as the driven snow, all right.

It's a shame for his family, but this is on him. It's not at all like Matt says in the petition about being "wrongly convicted", and it's not his work permit status that caught him up. Maybe that's why he just appeared resigned and sad, rather than outraged. He knows he screwed up.

And Mike p. is right about Matt's sense of entitlement. That episode when he pulled the LP card at the Eiffel Tower looking to skip the line is where he lost me.

• Love 4

You know, this begs the question - what kind of money is Matt Roloff paying if his field hand can afford multiple baggies of cocaine? And I have to be honest, I'm finding it increasingly suspicious and hilarious that Matt was right on the scene for his field hand's coke bust.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, sucker4reality said:

Maybe the cliffhanger was about Zac and Tori's pregnancy? Do the timelines match up?

The cliffhanger was something that arrived in the mail while Amy was away at her speaking engagement. From what I remember when she opened it she mentioned that it was not good news, and said the same thing to Matt when she went over to see him. However what the information was was not revealed at the end of the episode.

UsernameFatigue is absolutely correct. Something came in the mail that Amy found after she came home. She even said it was not the Camarino affair. That was the end of the program. For some reason I got the impression it was divorce related. I have no idea why I thought that.

Another thing that annoys me about the petition is Matt trying to make it sound like Camerino possessing some special talent so only he can help Matt with his mobility issues when any physically abled person could help Matt.  Hell, even the poor neglected late Rocky, the dog helped Support Matt. That is when the Roloff's remembered Rocky existed. 

• Love 1

The next episode titled "Pumpkins in Jeopardy" - Matt is home from the hospital, but his relief is short lived when he discovers a problem on the farm that could destroy pumpkin season; Zack and Tori plan a wedding anniversary trip.

Ep #3 "Embrace the Body" - Amy plans a pool party with single friends' Matt wants to install surveillance cameras on the farm".

Edited by Malvina

Actually I think Camerino's situation might be better served if the petition was more factual and less dramatic. Was the drug possession conviction 9 years ago? Was Camerino ever on a legal  work permit?

Is the issue that Camerino never got a permit or is it that because of the drug arrest and conviction that he’s no longer eligible to get a work permit? Did the Roloffs know when they hired him that he had an issue with his legal status?

I agree that the petition is pouring it on although I tend to expect that in such things. My cynical side does note that while it was necessary when the children were young for Matt to need someone to be his arms and legs, perhaps now that he has the big strapping golden boy Jeremy age 26, its time for Matt’s son to proudly be his arms and legs as Jeremy wants to own the farm and run the farm and how better than to put himself at his father’s beck and call?

Personally I suspect that’s a little too much like work for Jer-Bear ;)

Edited by ZoloftBlob
"young" and "wrong" mean different things
  • Love 3

Matt wanted cheap labor, andd had 15 years to work with Cam on getting him citizenship or the correct permits....shame on him for having a family with an unstable residency.  Its not up to anyone else to figure it out for him...bummer that he was running around with illegal drugs and got caught... been so victimized..waaahhh

Take care of your personal business and your family Cam...now from across the border...bon voyage Home Skillet...maybe u will grow a pair over there

Its adorable how slanted this this is..lololol...

Maaaybe being a convicted felon could be  a bit of an issue?? 

Wow

Edited by Christi
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

The cliffhanger was something that arrived in the mail while Amy was away at her speaking engagement. From what I remember when she opened it she mentioned that it was not good news, and said the same thing to Matt when she went over to see him. However what the information was was not revealed at the end of the episode.

I'm thinking botulism in the pumpkin salsa.

Made from the precious secret family recipe, passed down for . . . weeks and weeks now.

(I'm being snarky, BTW.)

Edited by Mike p.
  • Love 1

I didn't see this ep until this morning. My mom watched it "live" and when I asked her what happened she mentioned
 Tory's pregnancy. But when I watched today (unless I missed it) there was no mention of Tory being pregnant. I think it was even posted here somewhere above? How did we learn this? Or is this just a rumor? Or did I miss it in the episode?

6 hours ago, kat165 said:

I didn't see this ep until this morning. My mom watched it "live" and when I asked her what happened she mentioned
 Tory's pregnancy. But when I watched today (unless I missed it) there was no mention of Tory being pregnant. I think it was even posted here somewhere above? How did we learn this? Or is this just a rumor? Or did I miss it in the episode?

I believe they showed it in a commercial that ran during the show. It's true.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

You know, this begs the question - what kind of money is Matt Roloff paying if his field hand can afford multiple baggies of cocaine? And I have to be honest, I'm finding it increasingly suspicious and hilarious that Matt was right on the scene for his field hand's coke bust

I could imagine Matt partaking now and again. 

As for helping someone get legal residency, I have done this.  The waiting list is very, very, very long for Mexico.  It was something like 16 years at the point where I helped my housekeeper through and now for some categories it's over 20 years.  The people on the way list know to avoid any legal trouble or they will be deported.  Camarino will probably stand about zero chance from Matt's petition.  My guess is he'll simply re-enter the country illegally while Matt pays him under the table and never be seen on  camera again.

Edited by Absolom
Had some tea and looked at the State Dept chart again.