Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Shame

The Things I Learned From This Episode That I Didn't Learn In Law School

1. Judges don't care if you use cuss words in their courtroom.

2. If you want to file a lawsuit, you must have a judge review it in open court and approve it before you can go forward with it. The judge will only give you a day to find evidence.

3. Law and Corporate offices in New York City have no security and anyone can walk in to anyone's office without being announced.

4. The preferred way of negotiating with the opposing side is to show up unannounced in their offices and yell nasty threats.

5. Lawsuits are brought because the Plaintiff's lawyer has a grudge against the Defendant's lawyer.

6. The other side gets to decide which people you depose. Also, no one is ever put under oath and the deposition consists of lawyers making speeches to each other.

7. Past practices of lawyers in unrelated cases can be used as evidence.

8. If you have a surprise piece of evidence you must announce it to the other lawyer so that they have time to figure out a defense.

9. Never, EVER practice law like they do in Suits.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, Good Queen Jane said:

The Things I Learned From This Episode That I Didn't Learn In Law School

1. Judges don't care if you use cuss words in their courtroom.

2. If you want to file a lawsuit, you must have a judge review it in open court and approve it before you can go forward with it. The judge will only give you a day to find evidence.

3. Law and Corporate offices in New York City have no security and anyone can walk in to anyone's office without being announced.

4. The preferred way of negotiating with the opposing side is to show up unannounced in their offices and yell nasty threats.

5. Lawsuits are brought because the Plaintiff's lawyer has a grudge against the Defendant's lawyer.

6. The other side gets to decide which people you depose. Also, no one is ever put under oath and the deposition consists of lawyers making speeches to each other.

7. Past practices of lawyers in unrelated cases can be used as evidence.

8. If you have a surprise piece of evidence you must announce it to the other lawyer so that they have time to figure out a defense.

9. Never, EVER practice law like they do in Suits.

First: ????????????

Then realizing this is how THIS show portrays law firms: ?????????????

• Love 3

Don't forget:

10.  Make sure if you have something to say, announce it in the opposite gender's restroom.

Ugh, that shtick is getting old.  They must be hanging out by the door, waiting for the other person to finish their business.  Yeah, not creepy at all.  Besides, why is it that, most of the time, there's absolutely nobody else using the facilities?  You'd think with all of the employees, clients, and visitors, there would be somebody else using them as well.

Oh, and poor Gretchen.  Now she's a part of the whole "who can yell the loudest" contest they have going on.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Utpe said:

Oh, and poor Gretchen.  Now she's a part of the whole "who can yell the loudest" contest they have going on.

Yup. And she now has potty mouth, too.

Unless I'm mistaken, Rachel may be the only regular character left who doesn't curse simply for the shock value. It would be funny if she said "bollocks" one time, though.

• Love 3

Louis loves kids and sincerely wants to be a father. Sheila doesn't want them. If his craving for the former is stronger than his craving for the latter, he should have no problem moving past her. I hope they don't pursue a single parent adoption/surrogate storyline. He has no time to raise a child on his own.

I do wonder if Sheila secretly looks down on all the Columbia students she is helping to find jobs for since they didn't attend Harvard, her be-all and end-all. That would be true to her character as originally written.

6 hours ago, bros402 said:

I read the OP as "Ten things I learned from this episode"

I wasn't sure how many things I would list (the choices are infinite), so I left it open. I adopt Utpe's  No. 10. Make sure if you have something to say, announce it in the opposite gender's restroom.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

So, is this a lead in to a new spin off series, Gretchen, Donna, and FirstYearAssociate?  The adventures behind the doors at a top New York law firm?

behind the bathroom doors...

• Love 3
On 9/8/2017 at 9:19 PM, Dowel Jones said:

So, is this a lead in to a new spin off series, Gretchen, Donna, and FirstYearAssociate?  The adventures behind the doors at a top New York law firm?

seems like it'd be Scrubs, but with lawyers, and a lot of cursing

• Love 1

Another spin off series could have the first year associate with the baby and his wife die in an accident, with Louis being named as the guardian of their baby in their wills. Louis then has to adapt to practicing high powered law while taking care of adorable baby. Hilarity ensues.

• Love 1

The one moment that I found REAL in this was Gretchen tearing that 1st year a new one re Louis.

I work for such a lawyer.  He is brilliant, but he had a reputation for blowing his cool.  Now I've been with him 15 years so I've seen it happen.  And yeah, he yells.  But you will learn to be a good lawyer listening to him.  It is pretty amazing that despite his "rep" the associates still love to work with him and all of those he's mentored have made partner.
But the day a second-year asshole-ciate thought he could score points with me (after a particularly bad morning} by running MY boss down to me was the day I boxed his effing EARS back and with enough loudness that the other partners heard me down the hall.  Yeah, he's an asshole.  But he's MY asshole.

Oh, and how have I learned to live with it after 15 years?  Your girl here learned to snot right back at him.....

Oh and can I just tell the people who are writing TV shows that not everyone in the known universe watches "Game of Thrones" - hopefully every viewing household had at least ONE watcher familiar with something that happened two seasons ago; otherwise I'm prettty sure there was a whole lotta "WTF???" going on.

12 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Another spin off series could have the first year associate with the baby and his wife die in an accident, with Louis being named as the guardian of their baby in their wills. Louis then has to adapt to practicing high powered law while taking care of adorable baby. Hilarity ensues.

Louis should have the help of a Janitor in taking care of the child.

Title the spinoff Legal Custodians

• Love 3

Curious...no one moves their hands and arms when they speak.  No gestures.  Just hands by their sides. 
It appears these guys missed Class #1 at Acting School.  
And the story lines, with all this pseudo-relation stuff, is getting a bit repetitive. 
Wait...make that VERY repetitive.  
But, I still like those cool offices, although no one turns on their office lights at night. 
And everyone opens a bottle of wine, every night.  

On 9/11/2017 at 3:44 PM, Carolina Girl said:

The one moment that I found REAL in this was Gretchen tearing that 1st year a new one re Louis.

I work for such a lawyer.  He is brilliant, but he had a reputation for blowing his cool.  Now I've been with him 15 years so I've seen it happen.  And yeah, he yells.  But you will learn to be a good lawyer listening to him.  It is pretty amazing that despite his "rep" the associates still love to work with him and all of those he's mentored have made partner.
But the day a second-year asshole-ciate thought he could score points with me (after a particularly bad morning} by running MY boss down to me was the day I boxed his effing EARS back and with enough loudness that the other partners heard me down the hall.  Yeah, he's an asshole.  But he's MY asshole.

Oh, and how have I learned to live with it after 15 years?  Your girl here learned to snot right back at him.....

Oh and can I just tell the people who are writing TV shows that not everyone in the known universe watches "Game of Thrones" - hopefully every viewing household had at least ONE watcher familiar with something that happened two seasons ago; otherwise I'm prettty sure there was a whole lotta "WTF???" going on.

I don't watch GOT so I'm clueless. LOL I don't work in a law office, but how private (sound wise) are those glass walls? I'd imagine it would be hard to have a confidential meeting with a client. 

What I've learned from being around people who yell all the time is that you learn to tune them out. Yelling is their version of talking. 

Are these restrooms unisex?

At least I didn't have to see Harvey be boring with his chemistry-less girlfriend.

I lurve Gretchen.

Aw! Louis and a newborn.

On 9/12/2017 at 12:49 PM, grommit2 said:

Curious...no one moves their hands and arms when they speak.  No gestures.  Just hands by their sides. 
It appears these guys missed Class #1 at Acting School.  
And the story lines, with all this pseudo-relation stuff, is getting a bit repetitive. 
Wait...make that VERY repetitive. 

Yes! And not only that, but the dialogue all sounds like it was written by the same person. Like, whenever anyone is dressing down anyone else for being an idiot, or apologizing for BEING an idiot, or whatever, they use the exact same general phrasing (including awkward cuss words) that any OTHER character would use and has used in the same situation. There is no individuality to these conversations, apart from what the actors give it, and the small details specific to the situation. Gretchen's whole speech dressing down Louis could have been put word-for-word into the mouths of Harvey, Donna, Jessica, Rachel, Mike... basically anyone! And it would not have sounded out of character. It's the same damn conversation over and over again, and it seems to get assigned to characters based on whose turn it is to make a speech.

On 9/11/2017 at 12:44 PM, Carolina Girl said:

Yeah, this show is taking quite a leap to assume that they have a large crossover audience with complex HBO dramas. Keep living the dream, I guess!

• Love 1