Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Prom

Why must we always get a Callie In Trouble cliffhanger every damn finale? Why must she get into some kind of trouble all the time? As much as I appreciate the message and how at least, this time, she asked for help when doing this, I'm just sick and tired of Callie taking two steps back after taking a step forward. This time, Callie almost made it through the episode with not getting in trouble and doing the right thing without breaking the law. I even said "You go, Callie" when she left the rally once it started turning violent. I even cheered when she broke up with Aaron because of his possession issues. I even laughed when I saw him see her take off with AJ. But then it turned into Callie and AJ taking Ximena away, even though Stef was trying to handle things legally, and I groaned when I realized what the cliffhanger would be. Why can't the major cliffhanger center around...I don't know, any other character? 

Ximena is not a main character and although I like the girl, yet again another supporting character gets a major focus. I'm frustrated at this point, you know? I'm really, really sick of seeing Callie. Now they're going to center the whole premiere around Callie, AJ, and Ximena in the church, and....I'm sure AJ/Callie will be dealing with their unresolved feelings. I also assume Aaron will be disappearing at some point in the first couple of episodes back. I can't imagine him and Callie sticking together after this whole mess. Plus, I'm tired of Aaron now. He's kind of a jealous jerk and I'm totally fine if him and Callie stay broken up.

Ah, so we may be seeing the return of Nick, after all. He sends Mariana that cryptic text of who smashed the model at the school. What, was it his dad? How would Nick know otherwise? 

I'm all for Lena transferring schools with Monte. It sounds like a pretty good deal, and it's not like they're leaving San Diego. Maybe it's because I'm also tired of the school in general and would love to see an actual change happen. Plus, Monte's benefits sound pretty damn good. Jude needs to be quiet about this whole "you're abandoning the school" spiel he started to go on before he was interrupted with Callie drama. I'm not seeing a downside to moving. I mean, I guess the kids losing their friends, but it's not like we see them hanging out with many people. Emma, Mat, and Noah are the only ones we see regularly. 

Speaking of Mat, good to see him return. I thought for a second just before the commercial break that it was that sexist guy in STEAM that butts heads with Mariana. Also good to see Wyatt. He looks way too weird with the haircut, and...I guess he's actually been around all this time? Then why haven't we seen him and Callie hanging? And he seems too different; I don't like the way they used him. I would have preferred that they didn't if they were just going to turn him into a stoner and drunk the entire episode. I think I prefer him with long hair, to be honest. 

So, Emma/Jesus are back together. I'm super glad the whole Poppy/Jesus thing didn't turn romantic. I did feel a bit bad for her, but at the same time, she was throwing herself at a guy who didn't give her the time of day. Girl, at least you tried. Though very awkward to see the whole Emma/Mariana fake lovers thing unfold. 

Hey! Who is surprised that Tess is actually gay? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Ok, then. That's going to suck for Logan and his dad when Tess comes clean. 

• Love 4

Why is this the finale? It's episode 9.

Callie went to her mom for help, got it, and then panicked and went rogue. She almost trusted... it was very close, it really was. Also, I was cheering her telling Aaron off.

Why do Callie and AJ have to stay inside the church, though. Is it just for solidarity? Or are they worried about being arrested for helping Ximena evade ICE? Hmmmn. I guess that's it.

The leukemia story is one too many. Why does this show think every single episode has to have at least 7 major crises?

I hope Mariana goes to Lena with the text from Nick in stead of contacting him directly, but she probably won't.

I like Poppy.

Not sure what to think of the Stef-Tess story. It feels very paint by numbers and I've never seen Stef look so artificial. Tess, too.

I still hate Monte, and the Anchor Beach story feels badly executed.

Jude has become so aversive to me that I hate him the second he appears on screen, even before he does anything. He used to be my favorite, so it's weird.

I don't get the appeal of prom. Every show seems to think they need to do proms for teens and weddings for adults. I just don't get it.

Wyatt without the hair is still Wyatt, but whoever made him cut his hair needs to be severely reprimanded.

• Love 3

Oh my God, Stefs face when she saw Mariana and Emma making out made me laugh harder than anything has this season. That almost made everything worth it. 

I actually said, out loud, "damn!" when Aaron dropped his ever so charming "it was super easy to steal you from AJ, why wouldn't it be easy for him to steal you back?" line, because I literally just said the same thing! It was just a really dick move for him to say it like that. He isn't exactly wrong, but still, what a shitty thing to say to your girlfriend, and it majorly highlights his hypocrisy in regards to Callie being friendly with AJ (who she has WAY more reason to still be friends with them him in the first place, considering they are in the same extended family) and how creepily possessive he can be. I've liked him at times, but I wont miss him if thats the last we see of him. 

I have to say, I expected more drama at the protest. The hate speech lady was there (who was honestly much more polite than I expected) and some guy in a camo jacket threw a tiny bomb (to make it look like the protesters did it?) and...that was it. I was glad Callie ran for it, but I was expected more drama. The way the camera was following camo guy, I thought he was going to pull a gun or something. 

Speaking of, while I like Ximena, and I think her story is very interesting and timely, but its basically the Diamond plot all over again, complete with Callie getting into trouble in an attempt to help. Callie runs off to save another girl in trouble, and instead of trusting her mom, she does something rash herself, that will probably end badly. Its always one step forward, two steps back wit her. Rinse and repeat. She was so CLOSE to letting Stef handle it, but then she ran off again to Save The Day, and now thats going to be another damn Callie in Peril Cliffhanger. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

Boy oh boy Aarron... Lol... Man what a scumlord... AJ was right abt dude all along... And poor Kara royster.. From rebound fiance on pretty little liars to rebound girl on the fosters.. Just hanging around waiting for the other girl to come to her senses and take the big back... 

I still like Monte....i want Lena to take the job screw whatever Jude was about to say... Poor brandon... Ugh Nick is coming back... Yay Matt is back... Logan seems cool hope he sticks around.. And we get that oh so rare scene on TV channels like the cw and free form two young blk guys on screen at the same time not commiting a crime

16 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Why is this the finale? It's episode 9.

Because episodes 19 and 20 are going to be on the same night, making it a two hour finale!

Ok, I'm half joking but the longer I think about it, the more I think it's a possibility.

17 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The leukemia story is one too many. Why does this show think every single episode has to have at least 7 major crises?

I agree, but damnit if I don't find it my favourite storyline of this season. Who knew a Brandon storyline would end up being one of my favourites? I just really like Grace and I'll admit, the scene where Brandon was telling Callie about Grace being sick and him legit getting choked up was very well done.

20 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I don't get the appeal of prom. Every show seems to think they need to do proms for teens and weddings for adults. I just don't get it.

I don't either; maybe it's because I'm Canadian and the only prom at my school was for the graduates, not juniors too.

21 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Jude has become so aversive to me that I hate him the second he appears on screen, even before he does anything. He used to be my favorite, so it's weird.

Same here. I was convinced until Nick's text that Jude destroyed the model, the way he was lurking behind the corner when Monte/Lena were talking about that job offer. I thought that they'd give him that because that'll get him into the family drama, rather than his drama with Noah and Taylor.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

Well, on TV, I think its an excuse to get the cast more dolled up than usual, and get the whole cast into one room together, in a setting with dancing and possible romantic tension. In the real world, I cant speak for everyone, but at my high school (a rural, mostly working class school in the Midwest part of the US) prom was a reason to get dressed up, and get to be fancy for once. There wasn't much to do in general (fun normally consisted of hanging out in Wallmart or Pizza King, driving around back roads, or drinking cheap beer in the cornfield in someones basement), so Prom was an excuse to save up money to buy a nice outfit, get your hair done, and actually have something fun to look forward to, even if it was basically just dancing in the elementary schools gym with balloons and streamers. For the seniors, its also a bit of a Last Hurrah type of deal, before everyone graduates and has to get jobs or go to school or into the service or something. So, I have fond memories of Prom, even if I can get why its not everyone's thing. At least it was something to look forward to. From what I have heard from other people at other schools, it was more of a status thing, in a high school politics Mean Girls way, but I think there is something to be said for teens having an excuse to be glamorous and feel cool for a night. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

The costume people like to dress everyone up?  Plus, it moves romantic plots forward. And it is one high school even that is actually realistic in that prom is a formal event most people dress up to attend. Some shows are always having crazy school events and trips that probably never happen. I think Gossip Girl had a formal party every week.

I think this season only has 18 episodes. I remember hearing about how it was shorter. 

I agree with everyone about how annoying it was for Callie to get in trouble trying to save someone in another finale. She did so well leaving the protest and talking to Stef and then it all blew up. And honestly, what was Ximena thinking announcing at the protest she was undocumented? 

I did find all the Mariana, Emma, Jesus stuff hilarious though.  I liked that they brought back different people's exes. I started thinking about how many people in that room all the main characters have dated/slept with. These teenagers have very active dating lives.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh my God, Stefs face when she saw Mariana and Emma making out made me laugh harder than anything has this season. That almost made everything worth

Same! I was not expecting Steph in that shot and that was the best WTF? face I've seen on TV. I cracked the hell up.

Poor Mariana, even the guy in the obnoxious polka dot tux had a date! :)

Take the job Lena, take it now!

I kept waiting for something big to happen at the very end, because was a lame-o mid season finale.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

I was not interested in the ICE plotline, but Stef's what the hell face, the overly ambitious photographer, high Wyatt ("oh c'mon girl, we just got back together!"), and Poppy ("why are they slow dancing?" "Because it's a slow song. Ugh!") made this episode for me.

• Love 8

At least Callie's free-range crusading was a bit less risky and stupid than usual, at least to me.  I don't think the stakes are as high as previous things she's done; she was a passenger in a car that gave a ride to someone to a sanctuary church.   I don't even know what the charges would be.  If everybody that aided someone like Ximena (schools, employers) could be arrested, wow, major problems in the justice system.  Helping her get out of a San Diego police officer's vehicle might be a bigger problem but I bet that gets brushed over.  The story is going to be the sanctuary thing.  Aaron being a pre-law student will probably figure in.  Also, I have actually seen undocumented people announce their status in public, in front of the cameras.  They don't want to live in the shadows, and the ones who have DACA status are already out. 

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Why do Callie and AJ have to stay inside the church, though. Is it just for solidarity? Or are they worried about being arrested for helping Ximena evade ICE? Hmmmn. I guess that's it.

ICE cannot arrest American citizens that help immigrants. They do arrest American citizens and documented immigrants because they are a bunch of authoritarians who think they can do whatever but it is unconstitutional for them to do that. They are not law enforcement, they are immigration enforcement.

• Love 2

We did see that ICE tried to intimidate Stef and claim jurisdiction when they didn't have it, so maybe the story will also be about how illegal the behavior of ICE is.

Callie and AJ also might not know what is or is not legal. Would staying in the church with Ximena help her get more publicity for X's case? If so, that might be one motivation. I suppose it also could get them in trouble for skipping school or some other BS, but honestly, I don't object as much as most people do to Callie's activism. And AJ getting involved on his own made me like him more. I think Callie needs to be more strategic than she is at times, but I think her behavior comes from more than a reckless disregard for her own safety and is largely coming from genuine caring, which I think is a positive trait.

• Love 1

Usual Fosters melodrama. 

Mariana was being ridiculous. I hated how they framed everything as if we were supposed to be on her side when she *was* actually trying to steal Logan. The way she was running around and talking made it seem like Olivia was way off base when we already know that's definitely not the case. I have always loved Mat, but at this point I think he deserves better than Mariana. She was taking major hits in character back when they broke up and she's only gotten worse since then. Of course, we had to have some super shady shit with Nick. It's not like we already ran that storyline into the ground at all.  ;)

I have always loved Wyatt so I enjoyed seeing him for a bit. But, I hate how they screwed up his character. Everybody has indulged in alcohol on this show before and there's always been a pretty liberal attitude in regards to drugs as long as it's not hardcore or anything, but to have him show up totally wasted like that at Prom when he knew he was supposed to be helping out Mariana rang false. I'd rather he not show up at all than have them retcon him like this. Also I like how they basically are trying to say that he's just been living off screen as normal when last time we discussed his home situation he was totally homeless and Callie had to arrange for him to stay with Daphne (which we didn't even bother resolving even though they started dating right after). I actually liked the haircut. 

Agree with everyone in regards to Callie. Does the right thing by leaving the protest only to screw up by leaving with Ximena. Stef could have played everyone off and maybe let Ximena escape (we already were being shady might as well go full on here) and because she was just some detective ICE wouldn't have had any reason to follow her or not trust her. Callie and AJ were stupid to just take Ximena when they had no leverage of that kind or any plan besides drive around. And Callie just doesn't give a shit how this could affect Stef's job does she? This whole thing now looks as if Stef was conspiring with her daughter (which she technically was, but not to the extent of staying in the church) and that could totally come back to bite her. But, what does Stef matter when Callie has known Ximena for like a week right? 

AJ being apart of this also rang false to me. This is the same AJ that refused to mess around with Detective Callie's BS way back when (which contributed somewhat to their breakup) because he was trying to stay out of the way because he was a minority. It would have been more interesting if instead of going in the complete opposite direction with AJ like this he could have actually agreed with Aaron in that there were different ways of contributing to a movement and you didn't need to put yourself out there. It also would have been interesting because AJ is also a minority. Callie fought with Aaron despite the fact that he is transgender because she could argue that he passes, but she would have been hardpressed to fight AJ when he can't 'hide' (as she puts it). He doesn't have the risk of deportation of course, but as a minority he also has some of those same fears/risks so a conversation like that could have been fun to see. But, alas it wasn't meant to be since AJ is supposed to be supportive just so he can seem like more of a threat to Aaron since he didn't support Callie. 

Now onto Aaron. Callie once more tries to play the victim here. "I'm not a piece of property" is totally true and I can see why she'd be upset. But, Callie *did* let Aaron 'steal' her. She spent weeks allowing Aaron to unofficially court her. So let's not pretend now that Aaron is just being jealous for the sake of being jealous. He has a foundation for it. Plus Callie immediately fell back into her old patterns. Aaron was beating around the bush about it, but Callie clearly was taking pains to be vague about the AJ situation. She did the exact same thing to AJ when she was hanging with Aaron; all the half truths and dancing around the subject and blowing him off. Not so cute now that you're the boyfriend is it Aaron?

On the other side of the coin though Aaron did get into a relationship knowing Callie low key might not be the totally faithful type (she kissed him the first day she met him when she was in a relationship and the aforementioned emotional cheating) and a relationship does mean trust. So he owes it to her to trust her because he knew full well what he was getting into and if he has issues then he should address them with her so they can work through it. Or just  dump her if it's too much. There's a reason some people can't get with cheaters even if they aren't the ones that were cheated on. 

So basically they're just incompatible and should break up. Which I saw coming since every episode since they started dating has been riddled with issues. 

Stef and Tess was so annoying because it was not only utterly predictable I also couldn't see why Stef was essentially pissed at Tess for not being into her? Like when they had that little fight she was all like "Did you cuddle with your other 'girlfriends'?" and I was just like just because she might have felt super comfortable with you does not mean she was feeling you Stef. And Tess did use some kind of stiff language before, but I really think Stef was off base trying to act like she was homophobic. I think Tess like a lot of people didn't know exactly what to say since she hadn't really been around gay people before. Doesn't excuse it, but Stef could have just explained that instead of jumping to she's prejudiced or repressed. But, of course Stef had to be right. Wonder how that's going to affect her husband and child. 

Jesus and Emma were okay. I really think that they no longer are compatible, but it seems they might end up endgame anyways. Whatever. Shallow part of me doesn't mind since they are two beautiful people and look good together. As long as they don't have any more problems I won't complain much. 

Brandon and Grace was so so sad. Brandon finally gets an appropriate girlfriend (no possessive nastiness, not his sister, not emotionally unavailable, doesn't have a kid, and is age appropriate) and she has leukemia. I hate Brandon, but he doesn't deserve this at all. I felt so bad when she was low key trying to tell him to still live without her (I.e. the convo about Coachella). 

Privatization storyline is dull and I have barely cared since they introduced it. Lena should definitely leave Anchor Beach though. Monte is absolutely right. She could stay, but what good would it be if she's not able to get anything done because the board fights her at every turn.

Jude is being a selfish pissy little brat, but what else is new? 

Weak sauce mid season finale overall. I don't care about Ximena enough to really care about this. Don't get me wrong I definitely feel for her and it is all kinds of wrong and unfair. But, this show has burnt me out on all these social issues. I don't know if anyone here has watched Switched at Birth, but it went down the same exact road. Took a cool premise/issue (deaf culture) and then mangled it by feeling the need to cover literally every other social issue under the sun in a poor attempt to stay relevant. Felt exploitative there, and Fosters is rapidly approaching the same problem. Really hoping 5 is the last season so I can finally be free. 

• Love 10

So, cliff hanger ends with Callie trying to help someone again.... This is getting so tiresome and predictable.

The Stef and Tess story line is so stupid and has been drawn out. I would much rather see an actual story line for Stef and Lena that was about them and not the kids.

The writers of this show has let the show go totally downhill with all its political and groundbreaking story lines. It needs to get back to the family drama like the first 2 seasons but I think it's to late now. The remaining 9 episodes will probably be the last so who cares anyway!

• Love 4

@JaneSmith I too am getting very tired of "Callie Saves the Day" plots. Can we go back to the relationships between the family members as the driving plot? It seems like "the issue of the week", and the poster upthread who stated Switched at Birth fell into the same trap was spot on. This is supposed to be a FAMILY drama, we hardly have any scenes of the family together working through things. 

I did like Callie pointing out to Aaron that she wasn't a piece of property, but 1. AJ is the one who ended things with Callie (not the other way around), and 2. Aaron should make note of the phrase "how you get her is how you'll lose her", he cannot act self righteous about Callie's behavior when he was making the moves on her knowing she had a boyfriend. Ummmmhmmm. 

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

2. Aaron should make note of the phrase "how you get her is how you'll lose her", he cannot act self righteous about Callie's behavior when he was making the moves on her knowing she had a boyfriend. Ummmmhmmm. 

Yes, and Mariana should bear it in mind as well if she manages to snag Logan after his girlfriend goes back home.  A teenage long distance relationship like that might fizzle on its own and she can stay out of it. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

Yes, and Mariana should bear it in mind as well if she manages to snag Logan after his girlfriend goes back home.  A teenage long distance relationship like that might fizzle on its own and she can stay out of it. 

Mariana was being quite self righteous too. Logan's girlfriend didn't say anything to her that was untrue! Now if she was actually innocent I could see her being annoyed at being accused of such a thing, but she isn't...

• Love 6

They are really putting a lot of booze in Stef's hand. And when she is not drinking she is endlessly talking about wanting a drink.

I preferred her hair super short and with bangs. She looks strange with this current style.

Callie is such a jerk. She has no right to be defensive that boys get jealous when they are with her. She is batting 100 on being that girl you would not want anywhere near your boyfriend. She has never been trustworthy. I don't give a flip about Aaron- I find him creepy, but she should cut the guy some slack about his uneasiness.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 1

I regained my ability to watch American stuff last week, so caught up on the Fosters. It's almost reassuring to watch now. You know that the kids are all going to be as dumb as stumps to drive the drama along. Callie takes the prize again, naturally, but I was on her side when Aaron revealed his own insecurities about their relationship by slut-shaming her. Dick move.

Marianna and Emma might become a thing. Imagine the drama of them carrying on behind Jesus's back. He'd go full on HULK SMASH! when the truth came out. Stef's face was epic.

• Love 1