Type keyword(s) to search

"All About the Base": Foundation, Powder, Concealer

• Start Topic

?"All about the Base, no trouble" ?  Let's talk foundations, concealers, BB creams. What products work for you? What sucks? Why? And what methods work best for thay formula? 

I recently bit the bullet and tried Georgio Armani Luminous Silk which is many people holy grail hot business. It was good. $62 plus tax good...? Not sure. I prefer a higher coverage. Plus the shade range is weird with limited undertones.

For me it's hard to find a color my shade in Armani but not golden if that makes sense. 6.5 was light and mildly golden on me. I am usually covered neck to wrists to toes at work so it was not glaring. I applied it with a damp beauty blender and that was fine. It didn't oxidize or move even 16 hrs later. I didn't "set" it with powder or use a primer. 

I think I would buy it but only if I knew I could build the coverage and find a better match colorwise.  It's natural but not a lot of luminosity. I think Kevin Aucoin is better when it comes to high end foundation that is very natural but a flawless photoshopped effect and super subtle glow. 

• Love 1

I haven't tried any of the ultra high-end foundations, partly because a mid-range foundation is going to run AU$50 - AU$70 and that is more than expensive enough for me and partly because I have decided to go cruelty-free and most of the ultra high-end brands sell in China which means they are by definition, not cruelty-free. 

I have fair, pink undertoned skin (MAC NW13-18) depending on time of year and a some fairly significant rosacea over the nose and milder rosacea over the chin and cheeks and as such have a general preference for full-coverage foundations with matte-natural finishes. My current favorite, which I only have a sample of and am about to run out of if Kat Von D's Lock-it liquid foundation in the shade light 44. I need to start the search for a new concealer for under the eyes as my last tube of Maybelline Instant Age Rewind in fair (purchased pre decision to go cruelty-free) has just run out and the NYX full coverage concealer that I use elsewhere on my face is too thick to make a good under eye concealer. 

I will also need a new finishing powder in the next month or so as my present brand, Benefit is not cruelty-free either.

My faves: Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage, Tarte Rainforst of the Sea Water Foundation, Benefit The Big Easy, It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream, and  Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless. 

I seem to always on the hunt for a good concealer for under eyes. I can't find one that doesn't t crease or look caked, which just emphasizes the fine lines (and I don't even have that many).

4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I seem to always on the hunt for a good concealer for under eyes. I can't find one that doesn't t crease or look caked, which just emphasizes the fine lines (and I don't even have that many).

I've had the same issue, and at this point in life (sigh), it's definitely the place where my fine lines are most pronounced. In that respect, I've been most pleased with Glossier Stretch Concealer. It has a creamy, supple texture, and it's the only one I've used that never looks caky or settles into my fine lines. Downsides are that, while it's buildable, it's still pretty light coverage and could have better staying power, and it's only available in a few shades. (Light works perfectly with my fair skin with pink undertones.)

I use Armani Luminous Silk foundation. Still on the hunt for something comparable. Might try Dior Airflash or it's other new one. Also have the new Chanel Beiges as a touch-up.

Have used EL Perfectionist -okay, but not a repurchase. Did use Doublewear for a few years. It changed formula and the last one I bought went gloopy.

Still hunting for a concealer. I use a Dior pen like one now - it,is pinkish and does okay.

Loose powder? Chanel. Also have a Dior bronzing type one and a couple highlighters. Still have my original backup of EL Modern Mercury. Did like the EL Re-Nitriv powder but it is expensive. Find so,e of the cheaper ones rough on my skin.

• Love 1

For foundation, I use Diorskin Forever. It's a little less expensive than the Armani but still really good. You only need a little bit for full coverage so a bottle lasts a long time.

In the summer for daily wear, though, I use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer which I love.

In my last Sephora Play box I got a sample of the Hourglass Varnish foundation stick and it's very nice.

Base is something that stays on your face all day.  I will spend the money for a mid to high-end foundation and use cheaper mascaras and lipsticks. Better products (sometimes), no parabens, etc.

When I was young, drugstore foundations were awful and seemed to eat your skin. Things have changed and there are some good drugstore brands now.

I find that there aren't any testers in the drugstores/supermarkets (and if there are, I wouldn't go near them due to whatever has touched, played with, and contaminated them), there is very poor natural lighting, and I wouldn't have a clue what shade I should be looking for. Maybe there is some online guide for X foundations = X drugstore brands. The mid to higher end ones at least have someone to help you find a good shade, you can probably get a sample 10 day sample to see if it works for you/causes you breakouts, and can probably return if you have a breakout. It's probably worth it to go to Sephora or a department store and have someone help you to look for one that will work for you and your skin type. And you probably have more shades to work with.

• Love 1

I really like Hourglass Vanish Foundation Stick and their Immaculate Foundation. I would not mind finding less pricey dupe for the Hourglass Immaculate Foundation though.

For the summer heat I am liking Dr. Jart Black Label BB cream. I am very fair skin so it works well for me.

I am also, really loving The Ordinary serum foundation and their coverage foundation. The serum foundation is very light, which I like in the warmer months.

I like sheer/light coverage when it comes to foundation.  For years and years and years, I used the Lancome Dual Finish compact (can be used wet or dry), but as I got older, it just became too matte for my liking.  

I started using the Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm and LOVED IT.  It was a sheer tinted moisturizer and it was just perfect for me.  And of course, they discontinued it.  :(  I have a bit of a stockpile, but I need to find a replacement.

I love trying new products and I have no problem getting samples at my local Ulta, Sephora, Saks, Nordstrom etc - which is definitely the way to go when you're trying to find new products.  I do tend to purchase higher end products that have testers in the stores (or where I can get a sample).  I would purchase more drugstore brands, but I end up having to purchase several to find a shade match and even though a lot of places do allow returns of opened products, I just don't like to do that.

Some that have worked pretty well, and I would repurchase if I don't find something better:

Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer - 30 SPF and you can definitely smell it in the product (although not too noticeable when it dries down); Nice Range of Shades; Blends Nicely (although it's pretty thick, you have to work quickly or do the parts of your face separately) 

https://www.sephora.com/product/tinted-moisturizer-broad-spectrum-oil-free-P140906?skuId=905364&icid2=products grid:p140906

Too Faced Born This Way Absolute Perfection Foundation - Extremely Wide Range of Shades, This is probably a BIT high coverage for me, but I just use a small amt for a sheer look, it really blends beautifully

http://www.ulta.com/born-this-way-absolute-perfection-foundation?productId=xlsImpprod12621017

No7 - Airbrush Away Foundation Serum - Not a Very Wide Range of Shades (more options for fair skinned folks); Blends Nicely with a Brush (really looks lovely on the skin), but will cling/exaggerate any dry skin

http://www.ulta.com/airbrush-away-foundation?productId=xlsImpprod14541077

Some that I tried that I would not repurchase:

Philosphy Renewed Hope in a Jar Skin Tint - 20 SPF; Limited Shade Range (although they did add two more shades recently); it has a nice finish and blends really well with a brush, but I found it counteracted with my primers and created these weird slick areas on my face, so I had to blend my primer in REALLY well and be careful applying this product.  I don't LOVE it, so I won't repurchase it.

https://www.sephora.com/product/renewed-hope-in-jar-skin-tint-P417009?skuId=1898485&icid2=products grid:p417009

Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 - Limited Shades (all too light for me); Tended to oxidize on my face creating a orange-ish tinge.  Was VERY emollient (too greasy for me).

http://www.ulta.com/amazonian-clay-bb-tinted-moisturizer-broad-spectrum-spf-20?productId=xlsImpprod2430045

Cover Girl Clean Matte BB Cream - Way too greasy for me...couldn't find a good shade match.

http://www.ulta.com/clean-matte-bb-cream?productId=xlsImpprod14161013

BH Cosmetics Forever Nude Illuminating BB Cream - Great Price; Nice Shade Match for Me; Tended to make me greasy within a few hours though...

http://www.bhcosmetics.com/forever-nude-illuminating-bb-cream

EX1 Invisiwear Foundation - Had Trouble Finding  A Good Shade (could only find product it online); Nice Shade Range for Warm Undertones

http://ex1cosmetics.com/products/invisiwear-liquid-foundation/

• Love 1

The new Fenty Beauty foundation is ? my holy grail. I’ve had it for about three weeks now and it is so good. My skin had gone through a real rough patch just before I got it with a moderate acne flare up and worsening roseaca (fun!). This foundation did a pretty good job of covering up my flaws and feels as light as air. My skin also started improving and is almost back to baseline. The best things about it is that it is comes in a shade that actually works for my skin (light 170) and it sticks to oily skin better than any foundation I’ve tried. The fact it only runs AU$50 is a wonderful bonus.

• Love 2

@Jac that's good to hear! I think I'm going to give it a whirl. My skin is normal and I love a full full coverage. This might be slightly lighter coverage than what I'm used to. I haven't heard any bad feedback or snark on this foundation. 

Anyone have recommendations for powder foundations? I have used Bare Minerals loose matte powder in the past and Makeup Forever's Mat Duo powder but neither seems to give me good enough coverage. If I add more powder, it gets cakey looking by the end of the day. I have largish pores and combo skin so liquid foundation doesn't work for me (it sinks in my pores and looks/feels like a mask) and I love the ease of powder.

On 9/25/2017 at 2:05 AM, Jac said:

The new Fenty Beauty foundation is ? my holy grail. I’ve had it for about three weeks now and it is so good. My skin had gone through a real rough patch just before I got it with a moderate acne flare up and worsening roseaca (fun!). This foundation did a pretty good job of covering up my flaws and feels as light as air. My skin also started improving and is almost back to baseline. The best things about it is that it is comes in a shade that actually works for my skin (light 170) and it sticks to oily skin better than any foundation I’ve tried. The fact it only runs AU$50 is a wonderful bonus.

I've seen reviewers on YouTube say Fenty oxidizes pretty badly so go a shade or two lighter. Did you find that to be the case?

My favorite foundations are as follows:

High End: IT CC Cream in Fair

Drugstore: Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless. Shade 110 Porcelain.

I'm pale with yellow undertone and the Maybelline is one of the rare pale-skin foundations that isn't pinkish. 

Edited by BitterApple
14 hours ago, emma675 said:

Anyone have recommendations for powder foundations? I have used Bare Minerals loose matte powder in the past and Makeup Forever's Mat Duo powder but neither seems to give me good enough coverage. If I add more powder, it gets cakey looking by the end of the day. I have largish pores and combo skin so liquid foundation doesn't work for me (it sinks in my pores and looks/feels like a mask) and I love the ease of powder.

I've used Urban Decay's powder foundation in the past, before my skin turned into a desert wasteland. I thought it had pretty good coverage for a powder. My only complaint was that it didn't work well with primer, no matter how long I waited between primer and applying it.  I can also recommend Benefit's The Big Easy which is a cream to powder foundation. It worked well on my  oily T-zone and large pores and felt/wore more like a powder than a cream. 

On 1/25/2018 at 3:00 PM, BitterApple said:

I've seen reviewers on YouTube say Fenty oxidizes pretty badly so go a shade or two lighter. Did you find that to be the case?

My favorite foundations are as follows:

High End: IT CC Cream in Fair

Drugstore: Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless. Shade 110 Porcelain.

I'm pale with yellow undertone and the Maybelline is one of the rare pale-skin foundations that isn't pinkish. 

I find that the Fenty doesn't oxidize on me at all. Also you have to be quite careful with the shades because they are strongly warm, neutral or cool so there can be quite significant gaps in the shade range. The pure cool shades in the 100 range are 110 and 170 and there is a really big gap between those colors. I am nearly through my first bottle now and I am definitely repurchasing. Bonus, it really is sweat proof.

I have also recently purchased The Ordinary's serum foundation in 1.1P and am really liking it as a lighter coverage foundation.

• Love 1

For primer, I like Becca's Backlight Priming Filter. If I'm not feeling glowy then I like Benefit's Porefessional.

In one of those Sephora Play special edition boxes awhile ago I got a Guerlain primer with gold flecks in it, and it's amazing but the full size is too expensive. It was a fun one to try, though.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

OK. Primer. Why can't I find one I like & that 'works'? Does anyone have a holy grail??

What’s your skin type (dry, combo) and what do you want the primer to do - add glow, blur, mattify, etc? I’ve used many....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

What’s your skin type (dry, combo) and what do you want the primer to do - add glow, blur, mattify, etc? I’ve used many....

Dry, w shiny T zone. I want to minimize the appearance of pones & reduce shine as the day drags on! Thanks @MargeGunderson!

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

Dry, w shiny T zone. I want to minimize the appearance of pones & reduce shine as the day drags on! Thanks @MargeGunderson!

Oh, I’m familiar with that combination! My go-to is Murad’s Invisiblur Perfecting Shield. It has SPF, blurs the giant pores on my nose, but isn’t drying. I also like Stila’s One Step Illuminate (it’s similar to Becca Backlight but not as shimmery), Urban Decay’s Optical Illusion, and Charlotte Tillbury Brightening Youth Glow (very moisturizing). In the summer when my T-zone is oily, I use Benefit Pore Professional on it and one of the above everywhere else. I also use a setting spray (Urban Decay’s All Nighter), especially in the summer.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Oh, I’m familiar with that combination! My go-to is Murad’s Invisiblur Perfecting Shield. It has SPF, blurs the giant pores on my nose, but isn’t drying. I also like Stila’s One Step Illuminate (it’s similar to Becca Backlight but not as shimmery), Urban Decay’s Optical Illusion, and Charlotte Tillbury Brightening Youth Glow (very moisturizing). In the summer when my T-zone is oily, I use Benefit Pore Professional on it and one of the above everywhere else. I also use a setting spray (Urban Decay’s All Nighter), especially in the summer.

@MargeGunderson  Thanks Margie (see: Norm!). I smile every time I see your screen name, I love a Midwest accent! The only one of those I tried was the Benefit & didn't like it. I also ALWAYS forget my setting spray! Dang it. I am gonna get samples of those next week at Sephora. I did order the Smashbox Photo Finish Radiance Primer earlier this week. We'll see!!

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 2

Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation does not have shades for cool toned medium color people. In spite this I tried 2 (TWO) shades to see what was coverage like, blendability ect. Both shade gave me white heads and clogged pores and greasy reaction. Now I hardly ever break out so the fact I got several pimples was noteworthy. The consistency was like clay pudding as well. tenor.gif?itemid=7663264

12 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation does not have shades for cool toned medium color people. In spite this I tried 2 (TWO) shades to see what was coverage like, blendability ect. Both shade gave me white heads and clogged pores and greasy reaction. Now I hardly ever break out so the fact I got several pimples was noteworthy. The consistency was like clay pudding as well. tenor.gif?itemid=7663264

Ugh, that's so annoying! I actually love that foundation for me - it's truly full coverage without having to build it, and I've never had a problem with outbreaks or greasiness. Just goes to show that foundation is really specific! 

4 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

@MargeGunderson do you have dry skin? My skin is very normal so maybe if it's very moisterizing or has any oils it would seem excessive to me? I also walked in the sun briefly and that can give me outbreaks of actinic prurigo 

I have mostly normal skin with the occasional dry patch on my chin from Differin and an oily T-Zone in the heat/humidity. I don't find it super moisturizing, maybe because the clay should absorb oil. This is why I love being able to try out foundations without committing, you never know how it's going to actually work on your skin. 

So, I decided to go with Urban Decay’s Optical Illusion (primer). I got a generous sample from Sephora & wore it several times, including this weekend when it was 94 & I had to be at an outdoors college graduation :(  I'm not saying my makeup & face looked perfect, but that primer held up pretty well! & did very well in other (indoor) circumstances but still hot a hell weather. Thanks @MargeGunderson  for the rec! I'm also liking the Smashbox Photo Finish Radiance Primer that I ordered, but will use it when it's not quite as freaking hot.

• Love 1

I think I'm the only person who finds Georgio Armani Luminous Silk overrated. The finish is not great it doesn't really blur or perfect and the luminousity looks artificial. Like lotion hand mixed with the foundation so the flow on skin is not seamless and not from microspheres of mica or minerals but rather droplets of glycerin and oil dispersed.  Estée Lauder Double Wear is better at perfecting and Kevin Aucoin Etherialist is better at a dewy glowy foundation. 

• Love 2

@Frozendiva I don't know why it isn't working well for me. I wonder if I got a bad bottle? I was thinking of trying Marc Jacobs Remarcable but it has mixed reviews ? 

A lot of other foundations don't have my shade (or close enough to mine) so it is actually hard to find a new foundation 

My last Doublewear foundation went gloopy. The lady at the Dior counter recommends that line. I don’t know. Dior has the new backstage line that is supposed to be quite inclusive. Fenty may also be an option. 

Estée Lauder is usually pretty good with samples. Talk to the person at the counter and mention you are having issues with the product and think it is the bottle itself. Ask for a 10 Day sample to see if there is any change.

I tried the Cover FX powder foundation but sadly, it broke me out. Before that I was using Lucy Minerals loose powder foundation (it is an indie brand) and I liked it, but I wanted to get a pressed powder foundation since loose powder tends to get everywhere. I also didn't like the Cover FX coverage and finish much, although I would have kept using it anyway if it hadn't broken me out. However I found a Wayne Goss video where he said that pressed or loose powder should be applied with a velour puff pressed into the skin and a powder brush should be used just to brush excess powder off the face. I'm going to try that with my next powder foundation and see if I get better results and less mess.

For concealer I tried the Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer but it was way too thick and heavy, especially on the undereye. If I get a concealer again I will probably try the Alima Pure cream concealer.

As part of the Bay's Dior bag promo this past week, I picked up the new Dior Forever Glow foundation. We'll see how it works - will alternate it with Armani Luminous Silk. Have been looking for an alternate foundation for a while. Maybe this one will work out nicely.

• Love 2

I used to use the Clinique wand concealer, but the nice lady at Ulta said I might try the Bare Minerals wand, and I really like it much better.   Good coverage, but not as thick as the Clinique, and the feel is much nicer too.   It really lasts all day, without getting cakey, and that's a nice change.  

I swear by IT Cosmetics Celebration foundation.  I just switched to that from Laura Geller's baked balance and brighten.  The IT truly is full coverage....it covers my port wine birthmark on my forehead and my reddish cheeks.  It goes on like a dream, although I do use the IT brush too.  It doesnt settle in my ever increasing fine lines.  The IT Bye Bye undereyes concealer is fantastic too.  Both products you use so little of that they last forever.  Warning though...the colors do tend to be lighter than other brands so go a shade darker than you normally would.

• Love 1

Well I caved and got the Fenty foundation (shade 150 - neutral). I was going to waih for Pat McGrath at the end of the week but I'm not crazy about her return policy (nor the very expensive lip products that are sitting in a drawer unused except for the initial try it on moment). Hopefully I don't have the same issues others seemed to have that was mentioned above.  

Honestly the best foundation I've ever used was Cover Girl Clean in creamy natural. Great color and application but I became weirdly sensitive to the smell of it in the past few years. 

29 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

(nor the very expensive lip products that are sitting in a drawer unused except for the initial try it on moment).

Glad I'm not the only one not enamored by her lipsticks. I did buy a few from her site—and they're sitting in my drawer, too. However, I was suckered into buying that lipstick that was glittery based on all those posts on IG that made the product look like it did amazing things. It didn't. Luckily, I purchased it from Sephora where I was able to return it a few days later. I also returned a highlighter palette of hers I purchased from Sephora, too. Was underwhelmed with how they performed. The best highlighter I've ever used? Wet n Wild MegaGlow Highlighting Powder. That stuff is the bomb and it costs less than $8 and will last forever.

I received a sample of the La Prairie Essence-in-Foundation with an order I got from Nordstrom. Came with a cute little applicator. The coverage was OK so I looked it up online only to find out that shit costs $205!!! That's just outrageous.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

Glad I'm not the only one not enamored by her lipsticks. I did buy a few from her site—and they're sitting in my drawer, too. However, I was suckered into buying that lipstick that was glittery based on all those posts on IG that made the product look like it did amazing things. It didn't. Luckily, I purchased it from Sephora where I was able to return it a few days later. I also returned a highlighter palette of hers I purchased from Sephora, too. Was underwhelmed with how they performed. The best highlighter I've ever used? Wet n Wild MegaGlow Highlighting Powder. That stuff is the bomb and it costs less than $8 and will last forever.

I received a sample of the La Prairie Essence-in-Foundation with an order I got from Nordstrom. Came with a cute little applicator. The coverage was OK so I looked it up online only to find out that shit costs $205!!! That's just outrageous.

I have one of the blitztrance I like. It's kind of bronzy. All the rest are a no go. They are not good unless one has very full lips.

Edited by callie lee 29