Type keyword(s) to search

Younger Fashion: Asymmetric Styling

Whimsy

Patricia Field (Sex and the City) and Jacqueline Demeterio (Ugly Betty) used to costume with some basis in reality. Even some of Carrie's or Betty's more ridiculous costumes would be tame by this show's standards. By and large, they refuse to dress Liza and to a lesser extent Kelsey like they work in an office. It's just weird and dumb. I also have a hard time coveting any of the items because too often the sum is less than the parts. They also seem to not understand how to dress Hilary Duff. She's tiny and curvy, but too often they make her look like a wide stump.

I often find myself exploring Diana's wardrobe and accessories because it at least looks appropriate for the setting and consistent with the character even if she was wearing Younger's version of Daenerys' dragon necklace rendered with an iguana in a recent episode. 

https://www.racked.com/2017/6/28/15886114/younger-season-4-costumes

• Love 3
On 8/24/2017 at 4:33 PM, Ms Lark said:

This top is probably the most inappropriate thing worn to the office yet. Looks like it's ready to slide right off. Not to mention, piano keys-ish. Yeah.

apiece-apart-Soleil-Abstract-Print-Crop-

Liza wears two outfits that are basically this (off the shoulder top and mini skirt) and they are so inappropriate. They might have able to salvage the tops with pants or a longer skirt. The mini could have been salvaged with a top that fully covers everything, but together it's an outfit more appropriate for hanging with your friends than an office.

I know it's TV and Patricia and Jacqueline have always had an exuberant and over the top style, but half the shit they put Liza in doesn't even have any basis in reality. I think about the suit Carrie Bradshaw wore on SatC during the Drunk at Vogue episode. It was pinstriped and asymmetric, but it was still a suit. What the fuck is this outfit?

• Love 1

FYI, for anyone in Los Angeles, the FIDM museum has a fashion in TV exhibit this month. The wardrobe from Younger is featured. It's a little underwhelming compared to some of the others, but I have to share this close up of Diana's necklace. I'm crossing my fingers for Paley Center to do an exhibit with ALL the statement pieces one day!

diana.jpg

• Love 1
11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Another episode, another TWO off-the-shoulder peasant tops. Every damn episode this season. No one wears that to work or a work meeting (Pauline). No one.

I liked almost everything worn in this episode. The thing I continue to feel about Patricia and Jacqueline is that whatever costume design skills they used to have, they've either largely lost them or Darren Star has done a poor job at really defining Liza and Kelsey to them.

We're right on top of the 10 year anniversary of Gossip Girl. The costume designer for that show, Eric Daman, used to work for Patricia on Sex and the City. His work on Gossip Girl was absolutely stellar. He had such a fundamentally good grasp on every character and how that would be reflected in the clothing they wear. Janie Bryant, the costume designer for Mad Men, also had such a strong understanding of the characters and their clothing choices. For example, the character Pete Campbell is slightly more progressive than the other account guys despite being a massive jerk. His clothing is always slightly hipper than the other men. His suits are a tiny bit tighter and a little more in line with what you might see on a celebrity of that era than on anational ad or salary man.

• Love 3

I don't have a problem with the message, per se, it just reminds me of Girlfriend's guide to Divorce, which this season is trying to rebrand itself with "Boss" somewhere in the title, I forget what, exactly. And mostly, I'm just not a boss type, I'm too lazy and mellow, so I don't IDENTIFY with it on a personal level, but I'm all for women being bosses. The actual statement piece is a little braggy or self aggrandizing maybe, and likely to worn by a Kardashian or a real Housewife or someone who's not boss at all, imo, but I love it on Diana, cuz she is the boss, and cuz it's kind of funky and out of her wheelhouse. It IS very Stephen Sprouse, but I guess the designers at ThesePinkLips, and Patricia Fields, don't care, or maybe it's an homage. 

• Love 1

Another article about Diana’s necklaces

Costume designer Jackie Demeterio discusses the look she’s created for actress Miriam Shor.

Q: What is Diana’s look?

A: Her look is very strong, that’s for sure. When we were creating her look originally, it was to differentiate between the millennials in the (book publishing) office and her and Charles being in their 40s. So the inspiration behind her originally was, I found some photos of Linda Fargo that I really liked — she’s the fashion director at Bergdorf Goodman in New York, and she has that similar chic blunt bob haircut that’s super smooth, everything’s in place. The whole look is very sleek, but it has a bit of an edge to it. So Diana is not a total take on her, but she dresses very fashion-forward, and there’s also a sense of celebration in her dressing. Big jewelry or big pops of color or prints or metallic. Very bold. Miriam has a small frame, but she’s able to carry it.

It’s almost like Diana has this mentality of ’80s and ’90s power-dressing — bigger and bolder is better for women in the workplace. She wears Fendi and high-end designer clothing. It’s very expensive, but also very striking, especially compared to the millennials who are accessorizing with minimalist jewelry or the stacking of the fine jewelry.

Q: Where do you source her wardrobe?

A: It’s all high-end designers, so we go to Bergdorf’s, Saks, Barneys. The jewelry, though, is a hunt. I really like pieces that are hard to find, so I go everywhere. Anywhere I go, if I see something that catches my eye, I’ll just pick it up.

Q: What’s the story behind the swan necklace, which looks like both a collar and a eye-catching piece of jewelry?

A: I was saving this crazy swan necklace that we got at the very beginning of the season when I was prepping. It’s a vintage Christian Lacroix necklace that we found in this antique showplace in New York, and it was the talk of the first fitting: We have to use this necklace at some point!

And then I thought, when she goes out with Enzo (Diana’s new love interest), and she’s making her first public appearance with him, we thought it was the perfect spot. I definitely wanted a more conservative dress to place it on. It would disappear if you put it on something crazy. So I went with a very plain cement gray Narciso Rodriguez dress to really showcase it. It was so her, that necklace. I saw so many comments about it after the episode aired (last week) so I’m glad people responded to it.

Q: Has any piece ever been considered too over the top?

A: It has gotten to the point where we were like, “OK, wait — we need to take a minute here.” Because Miriam gets so into it! She really gets in character with her wardrobe, which is awesome for me. And it really helps her; the second she puts on one of these outfits, she just goes completely into Diana. So she loves it. At one point this season, she was like, “The necklaces have been a little smaller this year,” and I was like, “Are you serious?” She’s gotten used to them.

The necklaces get so much attention from everybody, so I try to keep it exciting and find interesting pieces because people really enjoy seeing them. A big thing I hear about the show is, “How do they afford these wardrobes in the publishing world?” I get that all the time. And I’m like, the whole fashion part of the show is hyper-reality. It’s eye candy for the audience.

• Love 4

I loved everything Lauren wore in the The Bubble. That shimmery skirt was gorgeous, and the whole outfit she had on when Maggie brought her the flowers was fabulous, especially those yellow chunky sandals.

I think the wardrobe for everyone has improved this season, with the possible exception of Kelsey. Still not crazy about most of the choices they make for her.

I don't think the fashion in this show is all that great. Which you think it would be great with them being young professionals in NYC. I really like the show, but I've just never cared that much for the fashion of the show. I don't think I've ever seen an outfit on there that makes me go "Wow! That is great." or "I gotta have that." But I still really like the show itself.

17 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I don't think the fashion in this show is all that great. Which you think it would be great with them being young professionals in NYC. I really like the show, but I've just never cared that much for the fashion of the show. I don't think I've ever seen an outfit on there that makes me go "Wow! That is great." or "I gotta have that." But I still really like the show itself.

There are definitely shows that make me go ooh, where did she get that dress/coat/purse because I must have it?! This is not one of those shows. My usual reaction to everyone's outfits is usually WTF is she wearing?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There are definitely shows that make me go ooh, where did she get that dress/coat/purse because I must have it?! This is not one of those shows. My usual reaction to everyone's outfits is usually WTF is she wearing?

I hope you mean 'except for Diana'?! ;-)

14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

96 Diana Trout necklaces:

Wow, what a collection and Miriam Shor looked absolutely stunning in all of them! My favourite piece isn't a necklace though, its those huge flamingo earrings.

• Love 3

My grandmother had a huge collection of necklaces—some nice, some pretty far out (three-inch papier-mâché fish, anyone?)—and at the dinner after her memorial service, we all chose one and wore it in her honor, even the men. It was great.

• Love 10
On 6/3/2019 at 11:59 AM, Aulty said:

Wow, what a collection and Miriam Shor looked absolutely stunning in all of them! My favourite piece isn't a necklace though, its those huge flamingo earrings.

Those earrings are fabulous! 

On 6/2/2019 at 9:17 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

96 Diana Trout necklaces:

That was fun! If I worked with Diana I'd look forward to going to the office every day just to see what she would be wearing.