Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: Nicole & Nicole

-Will Nev and Max ever run out of prologue activities?

-Total cliche MySpace girl.  How did someone approach her on the street? There are thousands of girls that have that awful look going on, I don't think you'd be able to recognize them enough to boldly confront them like that.

-Today's Catfish is for you "shut-ins", even though this one is willing to go on a TV show and apparently had a shit ton of followers.

-Doing a crossover with Catfish Brasil? Apparently the Nicole/Nicole theme is carrying over with Catfish & Catfish. Very crowded, good thing Nicole isn't there.

-Catfish undoubtedly did several flights to find Nicole besides Cleveland...or they got it on the first try cause this is a set-up!

-I'm positive this sharp as a tack guy has loads of secret admirers.

-3 WEEKS OF DATING TURNED INTO 10 YEARS? O.O

-Arica with an A probably was fully at fault for her blockings.

-Battle for the last say.

-Well that was anticlimactic. I don't care about the epilogues for any of these people. Blah blah I was bullied and blah blah victim noises from both sides. Ryan was also out of place as frick and I don't believe he was very invested in any of this.

Three thoughts...

- I might be in the minority but I actually liked the style of the stolen-photo victim being the one to initiate the story. It felt more organic, and Nev and Max actually did some investigating and asked relevant questions.

- I wanted to take wet wipe to Nicole's face the entire episode.

- Why was there no follow up on the weird blog (tumblr?) of her old photos? Or asking Facebook to remove the fake profiles? Showing Nev or Max or Nicole do something to report the page and at least attempt to get it down would have been interesting and possibly helpful to other people who are dealing with identity theft/privacy violations.

• Love 6

I totally think that her eyebrows were tatoooed on based on the way the light reflected on her face. The reflection was the exact same for her skin as it was for the "eyebrows". If they were penciled in, it would have been duller there. Yes, I really studied this during the episode.

What I didn't get, and maybe at 40 I'm just too old to know what the kids are up to these days, is that out of the millions of people that are on social media, that many people picked out this girl's pictures and used them for nefarious purposes. And she just happened to run into a "victim" randomly?

Also, as was pointed out in the podcast and by cometcupid - why was there no exploration into reporting these as fake pages to facebook?

• Love 2

I wanted to take wet wipe to Nicole's face the entire episode.

I think of this quote often, but it was running through my head constantly while prepping the episode -- Mike from Dazed & Confused looking at Tony's frosh crush and noting, "She's probably pretty cute once you clean all the shit off her."

• Love 4

Well, one thing about all that makeup -- if she stopped wearing it or changed it up, she wouldn't be recognizable to people interacting with the fake profiles. Granted, she shouldn't *have* to change her look, but it would stop her getting accosted in public. I'm not sure what appeal her look holds for catfish, but I can accept that it must exist for a certain percentage of the population.

I guess it's supposed to be enough that getting to tell off one catfish makes her feel like she's getting her life back, but I agree that they should have helped her shut down more fake profiles.; they should have used their "expertise" and celebrity status to contact FB on her behalf.

• Love 1
On 8/16/2017 at 8:22 PM, GaT said:

I guess all the people stealing her identity stole her personality too because Nicole was seriously dull.

Yes! She seemed borderline medicated. The face says party but the demeanor says long nap. The makeup....oy.

• Love 2

I guess all the people stealing her identity stole her personality too because Nicole was seriously dull.

She had one of the flattest affects I've ever seen. No inflection to her voice at all.

• Love 1

Maybe she wouldn't be "stolen" so much if she hadn't been let loose on the internet at 16 and put up what appears to be eleventy million pictures of herself with no privacy settings. I'm guessing between that and the fact that she's so young with both face tattoos and LDS parents that her home life was something.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, vinnieprice said:

Maybe she wouldn't be "stolen" so much if she hadn't been let loose on the internet at 16 and put up what appears to be eleventy million pictures of herself with no privacy settings. I'm guessing between that and the fact that she's so young with both face tattoos and LDS parents that her home life was something.

I'm very old, so I don't understand the need some people have to document almost every moment of their lives and post it online. It's true, if she hadn't posted a treasure trove of pictures with no privacy filters they wouldn't have been there to be stolen. Still, I think all of  the accountability is with the people who thought it was ok to take something that didn't belong to them and ok to pretend to be someone they weren't.

Edited by Passing Strange
  • Love 4

So two things to note:

• Riot is an actual last name! Whether it is Nicole's given name is up for debate.
  • Apparently there is another girl on Facebook that goes by "Nicole Riot" who ALSO has a face full of piercings! Now people are sending her hate mail for stealing catfish Nicole's identity. On top of that, according to this other Nicole, people are now stealing HER identity and making copycat Facebook accounts. 

Don't you just love the internet!

FB_IMG_1503607319679.jpg

Edited by peachypanda
Wrong word
  • Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:07 AM, picklekitten said:

Also, as was pointed out in the podcast and by cometcupid - why was there no exploration into reporting these as fake pages to facebook?

I wonder this on a lot of these.  I've got a lot of complaints about Facebook, but they will take down profiles shown to be fake.
And real Nicole might have been able to get a "verified" profile, with a little blue check.
I also wonder why Catfish doesn't sometimes encourage people to seek legal remedies, get injunctions.  Maybe so there will still be stories for the show?
I've just started watching this recently, and seeing the gullibility of so many young people, makes me worry even more about the future.
Schools need to offer courses on  walking while chewing gum.

• Love 1