Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: If I Had A Hammer

• Start Topic

Retcon Cop here.  First off - and I'll have more to say about the Professor Randall story in the weeks to come - I don't recall Brandon getting Randall run off campus for favoring athletes.  He used that information to bail Steve out of another bout of dumbness, but he never went public with it, IIRC.

Also, Donna said David was her first kiss?  No way do I believe that.

Mark and Kelly are so insanely boring, how much more of him is there?

• Love 2

I'm saving listening to this episode for end of holiday trainride (booh) on Friday, så for now I'll just admit to having shoes very much like Donna's clodhoppers. They cost me a sprained ankle and since then I have looked at platform heels with suspicion.

Retcon Cop here.  First off - and I'll have more to say about the Professor Randall story in the weeks to come - I don't recall Brandon getting Randall run off campus for favoring athletes.  He used that information to bail Steve out of another bout of dumbness, but he never went public with it, IIRC.

Also, Donna said David was her first kiss?  No way do I believe that.

Mark and Kelly are so insanely boring, how much more of him is there?

No way is David Donna's first kiss. They started dating when she was well over 16 years old-- she had to drive them to the dance! And all of her friends (rightfully) gave her shit about it! If this was her actual first date with a boy, more would have been made of that fact. Donna used to have cool parties with alcohol at her rich parents' house before the show decided she was actually an angel sent down from heaven and I am certain she kissed boys before David. This is an unnecessary detail.

• Love 3

(TW/CW: references to mental illness/suicide)

I was diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder a few years after this aired, and the med I was given (Depakote) had all the side effects Sarah mentioned and more. It even caused a permanent hormone disorder that I have to treat with even more medication. Bipolar II is tough because you do not, under any circumstances, want to take antidepressants for it--they cause full-blown psychotic mania. The only drugs they would give you in those days were anticonvulsants (epilepsy drugs) or lithium, and lithium wrecks your liver but it'll keep you from offing yourself deliberately, or unintentionally (by driving 110 mph into a tree, for example). 

Unfortunately, there are still plenty of mental health sufferers today that refuse medication because they think that medication makes you "inauthentic" or "artificially happy", because they're looking at the situation backwards: they think that their depressed self is their true self and their content/comfortable self is the unnatural one, when in reality it's the opposite. Depression lies.

• Love 9
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I would assume David didn't want to go on meds for his condition because he's a recovering drug addict.

None of the drugs used as mood stabilizers cause addiction. The only psych meds that are addictive are given for conditions David doesn't have.  

Edited by sinnerforhire
Pun-tastic autocorrect fail

Is Jennie Garth pregnant this season? She spends part of this episode in pajamas, and I know there's an episode later in the season after she gets back together with Brandon when she gets the flu or something.

7 hours ago, sinnerforhire said:

None of the drugs used as mood stabilizers cause addiction. The only psych meds that are addictive are given for conditions David doesn't have.  

It doesn't stop him from not wanting to go on meds for those reasons. He may not want to be chemically dependent on anything period. 

I've been keeping half an eye on her midriff tops too ;). Garth and the Fatch's first child was born June 1997; the episodes we're discussing now aired at the end of '96, so it's right around now that she's going to be sitting with blankets on her lap or randomly behind the breakfast bar.

She is def preggo by the time she and Brandon get back together.  I read how they had done all those things like "carrying all the shopping bags" and I think that this is why she was in the hospital for the start of the next season.  They did give her a possible abortion/miscarriage when I think she was actually preggo... it seems to be the MO for this show. 

5 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

I've been keeping half an eye on her midriff tops too ;). Garth and the Fatch's first child was born June 1997; the episodes we're discussing now aired at the end of '96, so it's right around now that she's going to be sitting with blankets on her lap or randomly behind the breakfast bar.

I will shamelessly admit that during the college graduation episode, I paused my recording several times because you can see Garth's full-term pregnancy in all of its glory.  It's when they are walking into the ceremony.  The billowing gown does not hide it and the flapper outfit they put on her for the graduation party does not hide it.

The only way that Brandon is a "legendary prose swordsman" is if Randall has only ever taught brain-damaged athletes who shouldn't have been passed out of the 8th grade. As someone whose undergrad papers won actual awards, I'm kind of offended by the insinuation that Brandon's demonstrably crappy writing is even passable, let alone laudable.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

But he seldom mentions his addiction, either, and neither does anyone else. I suspect @TeeVee329 is correct and they didn't give him a more serious/medication-compulsory diagnosis because they couldn't be shagged to manage it for continuity going forward.

That's probably true. I'm not really disagreeing with that thought process. I just looked at it a different way while watching. But, I was also using the shows continuity which was pretty dumb on my part. Look at the show we are watching here. Anything to end this storyline is okay by me.

• Love 1

When I was in college, we typed and printed papers and then the professor returned them with our grade. How would Randall be able to prove that the paper was plagarized? Just by his memory?? Also, even a moron like Steve would know better than to turn in Brandon's work since it would contrast so much to Steve's normal quality of work. Plus, doesn't Steve have a whole database of papers he can steal from the KEG house? Maybe choose someone who is of, um, similiar intellectual skillz?
Would Mel have been able to revoke David's purchase of the club since he technically wasn't in sound mind?

• Love 1
On 8/3/2017 at 3:01 AM, CurlyATX said:

When I was in college, we typed and printed papers and then the professor returned them with our grade. How would Randall be able to prove that the paper was plagarized? Just by his memory?? Also, even a moron like Steve would know better than to turn in Brandon's work since it would contrast so much to Steve's normal quality of work. Plus, doesn't Steve have a whole database of papers he can steal from the KEG house? Maybe choose someone who is of, um, similiar intellectual skillz?
Would Mel have been able to revoke David's purchase of the club since he technically wasn't in sound mind?

Would Mel even know? Does anyone know except Valerie?

I can buy Randall knowing if he literally copied word for word. I guess he keeps a copy of papers just in case. Idk

On 8/2/2017 at 0:01 PM, CurlyATX said:

When I was in college, we typed and printed papers and then the professor returned them with our grade. How would Randall be able to prove that the paper was plagarized? Just by his memory??

The professor who supervised my senior year college project related to my major asked me if he could keep a copy of my project for future reference because of the depth of research I found.  So if Randall had such a hard-on for Brandon's prose, I can buy he had a copy of the paper also.