Type keyword(s) to search

Broke It, Bent It, Tried To Fix It: Home Improvements

• Start Topic

(edited)

I recently rearranged some furniture so that my L-shaped computer desk ended up with one side firmly against a wall. Inspiration struck last week when the winter temperatures inside my bedroom (poorly insulated house, heated by a wood stove in the living room) provided some inspiration that draws on the anime shows I've watched over the years: a kotatsu desk! I've managed to do a quick & dirty (& cheap) version of the project.

One side of the "L" is snugly against the wall, the other side has a tablecloth hanging down to the floor on the outside. On the inside, the tablecloth and a towel close off everything else except the space where my legs go. So much for trapping heat.

For heat I've got my electric radiator-style heater under the desk for really cold days, and a home-made vegetable oil candle sitting on an old PC case for regular cold days.

My thermometer shows that I get about a 10 degree temperature difference under my desk now with just the candle burning. That's enough so that a lap blanket is enough to keep my legs toasty warm. I can make it as warm as I need with the electric heater, but that's expensive. I expect that I'd get better results with blankets instead of a towel and a cheap tablecloth, but that's a project for another time.

BTW: Do-it-yourself oil candles are really easy to make. You can find instructions for them online. The quickest version is just a metal jar lid (like from a mason jar) with a hole punched in the middle of it sitting in a shallow puddle of vegetable oil in a dish, with a wick made from cotton string through the hole and sitting in the oil.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 4

The toilet in the kids' bathroom started doing the ghost running* every 15 - 20 minutes a few days ago.  Before that it would only happen once in awhile.  So I looked up how to fix it last night (most common cause is the flapper valve) and decided I would try replacing it myself today.  The internet swore it was ridiculously easy and any fool could do it, but I've fallen for that before and landed smack dab in the middle of an ever growing repair.

Shortly after convincing myself that I could fix it, I went upstairs to get ready for bed.  And then the master bath toilet started doing the ghost running.  Tried to adjust the flapper to make sure it was sealing properly but could not get it to stop.  I eventually just turned off the water to the tank.  When I checked the water level this morning, the tank had completely drained.

So I was having lunch with my brother and we went to Home Depot after to get new flappers.  Bought the 3 pack since I needed 2 immediately and I have a guest half bath downstairs and figured that one was probably going to go soon too.

I successfully replaced the one in the master bath and walked my son through the basics (from my vast wealth of experience) and had him replace the one in the kids' bathroom.  So far everything seems to be doing fine!

*ghost running - not sure if it is the right term, but a slow leak of water from the tank that eventually triggers the tank to refill a bit to get back to the float valve (think that is the term) level.

• Love 7

When my next-door neighbors were having new flooring put in, I was standing in their backyard next to the toilet they'd removed from the back bathroom.  We chuckled about standing around a toilet chatting, and my neighbor mentioned that they might as well get a new one while they were needing to reinstall anyway, because it runs for a few seconds intermittently just like yours (and like happens a good bit; they degrade over time, and a slow leak develops).  I was gobsmacked, but nicely explained that toilets have very few parts, and it's easy to replace one - NOT the whole toilet - when a problem develops, and all they needed in this instance was a new flapper valve.  They were going to go out and buy a new toilet instead of just the cheap part they needed!

Edited by Bastet

Yeah, replacing an entire toilet was a little extreme! I will admit that I’m just waiting for the one in the kids bathroom to start leaking to motivate me to replace it. It’s the $25 builders model and really should be replaced with a good one. But as long as it works, I’m ignoring it. 

@Bastet, When my cousin and her hubby were first married, she attempted to cook, which she had never done before. She used the expensive pots and pans that were wedding gifts. Well, she burned whatever she was cooking and instead of trying to scrub the pans clean, she threw them away. Of course we were all gobsmacked. I said I wish I had known about it when it happened. I would have gotten them out of the trash and kept them. They were much nicer than I had at the time. She is now 71 and has never cooked a real meal. If they don't go out, they have sandwiches, canned soup or something from the deli. 

On topic: it is so satisfying to be able to do DIY repairs and save money. I've added sprinkler head repair to my repertoire. And a few weeks ago I replaced one of the bathroom faucets. It took me longer than a plumber would take but I saved at least $150. This is the second one I've replaced. My dad would be so proud. 

• Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, Spunkygal said:

On topic: it is so satisfying to be able to do DIY repairs and save money. I've added sprinkler head repair to my repertoire. And a few weeks ago I replaced one of the bathroom faucets. It took me longer than a plumber would take but I saved at least $150. This is the second one I've replaced. My dad would be so proud. 

This made me rethink my plan from yesterday.  Dishwasher doesn't power up.  If flipping breaker doesn't work, then I'm buying a new one.  Too much trouble to DIY or even get a repair guy.  What if I end up on that vicious cycle of the repair costs as much as a new one?  But you made me decide to watch two youtube videos.  First one convinced me I'd rather pay than mess with it. Too much diagnostic stuff I don't own.  The second one said to check to see if something was wrong with the latch.  Appearance of being closed doesn't actually mean it made the electrical connection I guess.  Futzed with it for a couple minutes and its working.

Lesson here is even if the cost to DIY time ratio is in favor of  cost, at least watch a youtube video or two. Saved me $500-600 dollars.

• Love 6

Years ago, the Internet was around, but long before Youtube videos and such, the washing machine wouldn't run.  I poked at it a bit, and finally found a troubleshooting guide online.  It said to check the door switch.  I got out my multimeter and found there wasn't electrical continuity through the switch when it was closed.  Called a local appliance repair place, $10 later I had a new switch, and the washer continued to work for years.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Called a local appliance repair place, $10 later I had a new switch, and the washer continued to work for years.

They're up to about $50 now, or at least as of a few years ago when mine went out.  I had a washer full of water and wet clothes on a Friday evening, with no agitation.  Figuring it was the lid switch, I grabbed my multimeter to confirm, called the (fantastic) parts department manager at the local appliance repair shop, learned he indeed had the part and would wait for me even though he was minutes away from closing, ran and got it, and replaced the old switch - voila, clean clothes. 

It's one of the few remaining brick and mortar places to get parts, and I was thankful for it.  Leaving the clothes to marinate in soapy water for several days while I waited for an online order to arrive would have been a first-world problem, yes, but it was very nice to just go grab the part and be done that same evening.

• Love 3

Statements like "I grabbed my multimeter" are probably why I'm always "I called my repair guy".  I probably should go buy one.

Enough procrastinating.  Getting new windows in two days and have a ton of stuff to take down and clean and trim.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Statements like "I grabbed my multimeter" are probably why I'm always "I called my repair guy".  I probably should go buy one.

Enough procrastinating.  Getting new windows in two days and have a ton of stuff to take down and clean and trim.

While you’re getting a multimeter, go ahead and pick up a basin wrench for plumbing jobs and maybe a miter box (mine came with a saw) for trim jobs. Invaluable items which also will save you some bucks. 

Later this year when I have a spare week to do it (probably week of Thanksgiving), I am stripping and painting my master bath cabinets and painting the walls. Saw a great YT on the cabinet part and in it, the guy recommended a few products which arrived today from Amazon. If they turn out to be as great as he suggests, I’ll report back.

• Love 2

One piece of good advice when it comes to buying a cable that connects something to something else, always label it at both ends so that you know what its connecting!

Most people probably have a shedload of plugs, power cables, monitor cables, USB cables, all bunched together behind a desk or TV stand. So much so that it becomes really difficult to figure what is cable is plugged into what.

So just label up the cables and plugs with something like "TV", "Printer" "Blu Ray" and do it as soon as you can; less hassle down the road, and less chance of pulling the wrong plug/cable too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Zola said:

So just label up the cables and plugs with something like "TV", "Printer" "Blu Ray" and do it as soon as you can; less hassle down the road, and less chance of pulling the wrong plug/cable too.

I've done that for so long - because I saw my parents do it - with a piece of folded over masking tape (that I write on both sides of) that I have to laugh whenever I see advertised/sold the various gizmos now made specifically for the purpose of identifying cords and cables.  I still just use tape, but maybe when I completely overhaul the main entertainment center in a few years, I'll top it off with fancy color-coded identifiers.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've done that for so long - because I saw my parents do it - with a piece of folded over masking tape (that I write on both sides of) that I have to laugh whenever I see advertised/sold the various gizmos now made specifically for the purpose of identifying cords and cables.  I still just use tape, but maybe when I completely overhaul the main entertainment center in a few years, I'll top it off with fancy color-coded identifiers.

Tape is a good idea and thanks to Pinterest, I’ve started using those flat plastic tabs used to close packages of buns, English muffins, various breads. There’s plenty of room to write the name of the device on the tab. I now use my extra tabs at the elementary school where I volunteer and label the cords for the ladies in the office and library.

• Love 2

I have a running faucet in my bathroom and I've just about decided that I can't fix it myself. It's the original faucet unit, sink, and under-the-counter pipes, valves, etc. that were installed when the house was built (1964).  Unfortunately, the cold water shut off value under the sink is totally corroded shut and I can't shut off the cold water.  If I could, I would attempt the repair the leak (it's in the handle, not in the faucet itself).  I just sprayed the valve with PB Blaster penetrating oil (the reviews say that it's good), but I'm not hopeful. If that doesn't work I don't want to force it--and probably break it.   I could go out to the street and see if I can shut off the water to the whole house, but I'm afraid that I'll get the handle taken apart and not be able to get it back together and be stuck with no water.  If I could get the water shut off to just that sink, if I screw it up I would just use the other bathroom until I could either figure it out or call a professional.  (If I'd known that those things would freeze up, I would have been giving all of the shut off valves in the house the once or twice a year spin to keep them running.  Or, I would have had it taken care of the last time I had to call the plumber to unclog my washing machine drain pipe.) If I can't get it to work by tomorrow evening, I'll have to call a plumber.  It's not only the waste of water (thank the gods I'm on a flat rate and don't pay by the gallon!), but I'm afraid that before I can get it fixed, I'll end up with a slow-running or clogged drain and have a flood.

@BooksRule, since the faucet, valves, etc., are all original, my advice is to just bite the bullet and call a plumber. Don’t mess with the outside valve on this one. I did change my bathroom faucet once but I was able to turn off the valve under the sink and I could use other bathrooms while this one was off. However, I checked the other valves in the house and they were all stuck, so when I had a plumber here for another much larger repair some months later, I had him replace the valves. So if you do call a plumber, make sure you walk around and note what else he needs to do while he’s there. Good luck! 

• Love 2

I erected a wooden garden gate over the weekend. It was only 3ft by 3ft, but I was worried about how to fix the fence posts, and to make sure the gate was wide enough to close/open properly. But after watching several YouTube videos I felt confident to do it myself rather than pay over the odds and get a professional to do it for me,

it took me just over 2 hours to put it up, but I am really pleased with the end result.

• Love 4

I replaced the ballcock in my toilet with a fill valve (suggested by the internet and the dude at Ace). It was pretty easy once I found the second bolt to unscrew. I also bought a new flapper as the one in the toilet fell apart as soon as I touched it but the chain on the new one is shorter than the old one. Right now I have it MacGyvered but I need to get a different one because it's slow leaking and ghost flushing.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I replaced the ballcock in my toilet with a fill valve (suggested by the internet and the dude at Ace). It was pretty easy once I found the second bolt to unscrew. I also bought a new flapper as the one in the toilet fell apart as soon as I touched it but the chain on the new one is shorter than the old one. Right now I have it MacGyvered but I need to get a different one because it's slow leaking and ghost flushing.

That’s odd. I’ve had my fair share of ballcocks and flappers in my day (heh) and thought the chains on all the flappers were the same length. You taught this old dog something new!

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

That’s odd. I’ve had my fair share of ballcocks and flappers in my day (heh) and thought the chains on all the flappers were the same length. You taught this old dog something new!

I did too. I'm going to hit Home Depot this weekend and talk to them. Maybe I need a different style. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

JINX!  I was going to post the very same thing.  Great minds, eh @ginger90.

It's actually a genius idea to make it work.  If you get a plastic one, or a plastic covered one, it'll last a long time with absolutely no

12 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

ghost flushing

which would just be unnerving. 

• Love 1

Plumbers are coming out tomorrow morning to fix my running faucet and (hopefully) install the flushing doohickey on the toilet (the one where I have the new part but can't get the old one off).  I also checked the water cut off valves in the other bathroom and I'm glad I did.  The hot water one seems fine, but although the cold one turns, now it drips no matter how tight I turn the knob.  So, they'll have to be replaced as well.

I hope it all works out well, doesn't take too long and doesn't cost the earth to fix.

• Love 4

@BooksRule, I hate those flushing doohickeys! But seriously, shadow those repair guys, watch what they do, what tools they use, ask questions, so that you can gain knowledge for future repairs. I’ve learned so much from not just YT, but also from the actual repair guys. 

• Love 2

Well, the plumber was here for about 5 hours, but I think everything's working okay now. I went with a national company instead of a local plumber, because I just wasn't sure which local one to bring in and I get a one year warranty with all repairs (and they are licensed, bonded, and insured).  I'm sure I pay more that way, but as long as I'm aware that I probably do, I'm okay with that (even though friends are always horrified that I didn't go with 'Joe', 'Mr. C's.', etc. because they are local).  It didn't cost the earth, but maybe a part of the moon.  Anyway, I have all new 'stops' (valves?), a new faucet in each bathroom sink (good quality too, not cheap 'hotel fixtures'-type) and he even replaced the toilet doohickey for me as well as the flapper (?).  The faucets are purty, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight without the sound of a running faucet in the background (ha ha). 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I went with a national company instead of a local plumber, because I just wasn't sure which local one to bring in and I get a one year warranty with all repairs (and they are licensed, bonded, and insured).

I always go with national chains instead of the "local guy" because I know the national chain is national and if there are are issues there is recourse.

Speaking of, anyone have a good "national chain" of electricians? I need to have two switches moved. Garage switch needs to go in the garage and the hallway switch needs to go by the garage door.

Does anyone here have experience with Angie's List? 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Does anyone here have experience with Angie's List? 

No, but I've used HomeAdvisor (both owned by the same company now) and got a very good guy to come fix my chimney.  

• Love 1
On 10/30/2019 at 6:38 PM, BooksRule said:

friends are always horrified that I didn't go with 'Joe', 'Mr. C's.', etc.

It's going to cost a lot no matter what - so you have to go with what makes you comfortable! After all, you'll have enough trouble sleeping without that runny faucet! You don't need to be wondering if you made the right choice. too!

I've used Angie's List and Home Advisor. Either way, still interview three and go with your gut. A guy I hired from Home Advisor to build a closet. He had a high rating, so I hired him (without interviewing others - still kicking myself - I know better!) He was a total loser. The closet isn't terrible I guess. But I'm pissed because the measurements are all wrong and not what I specified (which is weird because a lot of his high rating was from his furniture making!). And I know myself well enough to know that someday I'll be paying someone else to tear it out and do it again. (I should say, I'm pissed at myself for not interviewing others and not checking his work as he went).

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

After all, you'll have enough trouble sleeping without that runny faucet! You don't need to be wondering if you made the right choice. too!

I went to bed after midnight last night (had to work a late shift) and was awakened at 3:45am by a faint alarm beeping.  I got up, but it quit before I could figure out what the heck was beeping. So, I didn't have trouble going to sleep without my background 'water noise', but didn't sleep well anyway.  It turned out that a travel alarm clock in my nightstand was going off because the alarm button was pushed for some reason. I guess it was faint because the batteries were getting low (?), but I have no idea why the alarm was set to go off at 3:45am. Weird, but at least I know what it was. I hope to sleep better tonight. (Funny story about the runny faucet, though. My cats had gotten used to that faucet as their source of clean, cool, running water.  They both keep jumping up on the counter looking for a drink.  I have a bowl of water near their food in the kitchen, but I guess that's a step down from what they were used to. I'll have to see if I can get a cat water fountain for them. Gotta keep the furbabies happy!) 

My next project will be getting my front bedroom cleaned out (it's the room where I toss everything I don't want to deal with right now) and turned into some type of usable space (probably just another place for me to sit and read, but I'll probably put a bed or futon in there for the rare guest to sleep). I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. 

• Love 3

I fitted a new bird-feeding station in my back garden. And from my bedroom window I can watch a variety of birds feeding from there, pleased in the knowledge that I am helping them get through the tough winter months.

• Love 4

I have had some recent renovations done on my house.  I used a contractor that my brother knows. He's done work for him and several other family members, so, it worked out well.  He's a jewel. So, I'm now thinking about backsplashes.  Any suggestions would be welcomed. I took a look at this one. 

https://www.thebuilderdepot.com/cagoitma1x2herrhoned.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAsvTxBRDkARIsAH4W_j-n4mcycmBpLa_Bj3jG52mB8VkkAIH2QfljPegTfKk83rx0vfvP_ckaAhXhEALw_wcB

The kitchen cabinets are Sherman williams extra white and the walls are Heron white. Subtle difference. Floors are medium wood tone wide plank.  I'm thinking this marble may be too formal.  I may need something more casual.  I just want something that makes a statement.  I recently saw someone on tv use wallpaper.....not sure how cleaning that would work. .................................

Just ran across this one.  It's modern, which I like. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fasade-18-25-in-x-24-25-in-Argent-Silver-Rings-PVC-Decorative-Backsplash-Panel-B61-09/202874871

Edited by SunnyBeBe
14 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

@SunnyBeBe what type/color appliances do you have?

Right now, the dishwasher is stainless steel and fridge and stove are white, but, they are old and I'm going to be going with new appliances that are will be stainless steel.  It'll probably be the summer before I can do that though.  The light fixtures and door knobs, handles on cabinets, etc are brushed nickel. 

I tried to find link for my inspiration kitchen.  See if this will work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sherman+williams+white+kitchen+photo&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiiotD4qsDnAhWS11MKHQ7CCrUQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=sherman+williams+white+kitchen+photo&gs_l=img.3...87748.97898..98166...3.0..3.114.5645.79j3......0....1..gws-wiz-img.....3..35i39j35i362i39j0i67j0j0i131j0i24j0i10i24j0i10j0i8i10i30j0i10i30.zAPBweHSRu0&ei=ANA9XqIikq_PAo6Eq6gL&rlz=1C1CAFA_enUS634US634#imgrc=OyUg_-FZDST2pM

The one to the far right on the screen.  I like that backsplash too. Hmmmm.....

Edited by SunnyBeBe

@SunnyBeBe, others may have a differing opinion, but I have always heard that you should use special cleansers on natural stones like marble and granite. I specifically selected quartz for my surfaces so that I could spray the Lysol and other disinfecting and degreasing cleaners on it. I’ve had red wines splashes, mustard, tomato sauce, etc., and never had to worry about which cleaner I use. When we PTA members decided to give the school staff lounge a facelift, we decided on quartz because we knew that over the years, the cleaning crew isn’t going to “baby” the counter and backsplash like we would at home if we had chosen another surface. In fact, when we went to the stone place to look at slabs, the guy there told us not to go with granite or marble. There are now some porcelain tiles that mimic marble beautifully! And I’m not sure how much marble cleaners are compared to regular spray cleaners. Just my opinion! I’m sure there are others here who have marble or granite and love it.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good points!  I need to consider this.  No way, I'm going to baby it either. Thanks. 

Do you have a Floor and Decor in your area? They have a large, great display of tiles. Do look into the glass tiles! They are a pretty, contemporary look.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Do you have a Floor and Decor in your area? They have a large, great display of tiles. Do look into the glass tiles! They are a pretty, contemporary look.

There isn't one in my area.  But, I'll find some to view.   The closest one is quite a drive for me.  I will explore the glass tiles. ........

Ouuggh...just found this.  Interesting. It gets great reviews as a backsplash.  Maybe, too subtle though. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ivy-Hill-Tile-Mother-Of-Pearl-Serene-White-Squares-12-in-x-12-in-x-2-mm-Seamless-Pearl-Shell-Glass-Wall-Mosaic-Tile-EXT3RD102047/206496847?mtc=Shopping-VF-F_D23-G-D23-23_6_FLOOR_AND_WALL_TILE-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-NA&cm_mmc=Shopping-VF-F_D23-G-D23-23_6_FLOOR_AND_WALL_TILE-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-NA-71700000054964474-58700005193678076-92700045832425974&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsvTxBRDkARIsAH4W_j-KzQDVoh6QUnH0acg0X3jIzOiSWFknIxy2A8VgKichkoCa_25sfmQaAtSsEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

Oh man!  I really love this idea!  Bamboo!  I just wish it didn't have the pink tones in it.  I'd prefer just something more in the earth tones.  A little out there, but, I like it so much.  I'm decorating the main bath with nature elements like bamboo, cotton, essential oils, etc. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-in-x-6-in-x-6-mm-Upscale-Designs-Crystal-Glass-Mosaic-Wall-Tile-7-8-sq-ft-Case-9520103/307371663

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

I've just finished redoing my house over about three years.  Three new tiles in three different rooms.  Two natural stone and a porcelain tile. 

Natural stone isn't  a bunch of extra upkeep. I heard marble is bad about staining, but otherwise my suggestion is to get what speaks to you.  

I had a decorator for all of my renovations.  The one thing she always did was make sure that the floors, cabinets, counter tops, and backslashes/wall tile coordinated,  Basically, no decisions got made without samples of all of those sitting on top of each other.   Except for the one room that got designed based on me saying "this is the tile, pick everything else based on this tile".  I looked at every tile in existence over the last three years.  And I am not kidding.  

And also, the house started becoming this domino effect where once enough stuff was done, the next room had a narrower set of options. So I think your instinct to think about the bathrooms is a good one.  Although whatever is the most permanent should take precedent in deciding what you want/like because you will find yourself locked in a direction.

In terms of stores, for actual selection of tiles you could look at in person I thought the Tile Shop was the best.  Home Depot or Lowe's have more on line selection but very little in the stores.

I'd suggest that before you get too deep into looking at one tile at a time, that you go here and look at the Tile Shop catalogs.  https://www.tileshop.com/inspiration/online-catalogs

They have basically everything the store sells and lots of pictures.  I think its easier to start with pictures of tiles in rooms because you'll probably find that certain shapes, textures, colors, or designs are catching your eye over and over again even if its not "the one".

• Love 1

I'm hoping someone will have a suggestion about the trouble I ran into trying to hang my plants.  I bought hooks similar to these.

When I tried to install them in the ceiling, the problem I ran into was that the screw portion broke into an empty space in my ceiling - as if my ceiling is drywall or plaster (maybe it is?).   Or if there is a gap between the ceiling above and the one that is the floor of my bedroom.  I hope that makes sense.

Since the screw is too long - there is not enough material for it to grab onto - I can't use them.  I have been searching and there are other types of hooks I could try (the screw portion needs to be less than 2" long) but I hate to keep buying stuff if I'm missing something obvious.

@raven, i think the answer is in the link that you sent! See the one next to what looks a bit like an arrow? The arrow-shaped thing is a toggle anchor. The “arms” that extend from the screw are flush against the screw at first, but once you drill it into the ceiling the arms come down and brace against the ceiling inside. This anchors the screw and the hook against the ceiling, even if it is hollow (most are, unless you hit a joist). If you search toggle anchors on YouTube you’ll find some videos that might be helpful.

• Love 1

Thanks @MargeGunderson I should have explained - I did try the toggle but the screw piece that connects to the hook is still too long.  The arms of the toggle opened up in the ceiling to hold it but the hook doesn't screw flush and the whole thing wiggles around.  It's also very possible I did something wrong, LOL.

Thank you for mentioning most ceilings are hollow, I didn't know that - kinda new at this stuff!

I'll see what else I can find online.

20 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

This is going to sound odd but can you pull down while screwing in?

As I suspected, I was doing something wrong (not pulling the toggle piece down firmly while turning the hook).

yummy mummies face palm GIF by Channel 7

3 plants are hanging now!  I just need more now that I know what I'm doing.

It only took a few tries and a few lost toggle doohickeys that are permanently entombed in my ceiling for me to get it.

• Love 2

I replaced our shower head with a new rainfall shower head that also has a handheld shower head. I haven’t taken a shower with it yet, but I am loving the handheld part for rinsing the tub after cleaning! I don’t know why I didn’t do this years ago. (We had to put off redoing the entire bathroom, so this is a little thing I can do). 

• Love 4

Has anyone used a soy gel paint remover or Smart Strip?  I want to remove what looks like one layer of paint from a small bookshelf and want to stay away from the toxic chemicals.  Curious if anyone has tried any of these products.