Type keyword(s) to search

Superacting: The Talent We Get on Screen

• Start Topic

We mods discussed this topic.  We are ok with it AS LONG as it does not veer into "bitch vs jerk" territory.  The steps, if it does, goes like this:

1. Delete without warning any posts that are "bitch vs jerk" or any other off topic post.

2. If there starts to be too many "BvJ" posts (or other off-topic posts) this thread will be locked.

Thanks-

Your SPN mods.

• Love 5
(edited)

This is where we can discuss the actors! Our thoughts on their performance, who we regard as the best, the worst etc. Our own speculation on their thoughts on particular issues, their career progression etc. Basically anything acting related that doesn't already fit in an existing thread. 

Edited by Wayward Son
14 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

I further think that JA has given up on bucking that system and has decided to just do the best that he can with the crumbs he's being given, collect his paycheck, and be happy with that. He is clearly not an ambitious actor to me, otherwise he would have left sooner. The directing gigs likely helped, but as far as his acting career is concerned(and again IMO), if he re-signs again, then those in his own fandom(and possibly more than a few in the business, too), who don't want to see him as simply an extension of his friend, will finally have to admit that he's fine with being just and simply more of a support player for JP than anything else. And if they ever hoped for more for or from him, then they'll just have to get over it, because it's never going to happen on this show.

It could be argued that Jensen (and Jared) probably enjoy being where they are because of the power their position ! IMO any realistic fan of the show knows that without J2 the show can't survive and that is bound to give them a lot of power BTS. Just think of the examples they've given of times they've stepped in and demanded changes be made to the script etc. Then there is the fact at conventions, interviews etc those two are the stars. It is Jared and Jensen who get the magazine covers, it is Jared and Jensen who get the talk show interviews (on the rare occasion they occur), it is Jared and Jensen who collect the awards they get. If he quits Supernatural he runs the risk of getting another role where he is just another main cast member and holds nowhere near the same elevated importance as SN.

Plus, IMO Jensen adores the story of Sam and Dean, their relationship and both character. Just look at how he, much to my extreme annoyance, since Misha's interview time is considerably less, rudely interrupted an interviewer before she could ask MC a question, so he could gush over "how every hero needs their Sam" *eye roll* 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Wayward Son said:

It could be argued that Jensen (and Jared) probably enjoy being where they are because of the power their position !

Honestly? They are big fish in a very small pond and nothing more, IMO. And I think they both know it and don't care. And that's fine if that's all they want. They have adoration at the cons, too. But creatively, in the acting field, they have both stagnated at this point, IMO.

And even that is okay as a fan-if that was all one ever hoped for from an actor. The ones who are falling away are the ones who'd hoped for more and better writing for these actors-and this, no matter who one prefers in that regard.

At least JP is stagnated and has always predominantly been written as a lead actor, though. So his fans can always rest assured that, poor writing or not, the showrunners and writers on this show will always remember that fact.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Honestly? They are big fish in a very small pond and nothing more, IMO. And I think they both know it and don't care. And that's fine if that's all they want. They have adoration at the cons, too. But creatively, in the acting field, they have both stagnated at this point, IMO.

And even that is okay as a fan-if that was all one ever hoped for from an actor. The ones who are falling away are the ones who'd hoped for more and better writing for these actors-and this, no matter who one prefers in that regard.

At least JP is stagnated and has always predominantly been written as a lead actor, though. So his fans can always rest assured that, poor writing or not, the showrunners and writers on this show will always remember that fact.

Sorry, that was the point I was trying to make only more winded. On SN he and Jared are big fishes. They get all the press time, award attention etc. They are the stars and practically treated like royalty within their small pond.

However, if Jensen had taken say the role of Hawkeye, a role I know he was offered, and many bemoan he didn't take, the situation would be completely different. Yes, a role in a marvel movie would have given him greater exposure, but he would have been a little fish in a big world. Due to the supporting role he was playing he would have been overshadowed by the big players like Chris Evans, Robert Downey JR etc at both conventions and official events. So it may suit his purposes to be the big fish in the small pond than a small one in a bigger one.

And since, like I said, he can't stop himself from spending interviews gushing about Sam,  I think Jensen is more than happy where he is and doesn't need to be regarded as a victim. 

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 1

Just my opinion, but I'd love to hear from someone with acting experience or close up familiarity with acting. I suspect that we like a character or an actor and base our opinions more on that than any specific skills criteria.

• Love 1

Jensen is the best actor on the show. Until Mark Sheppard left, I'd have put them on equal footing, but now that he's gone, I give Jensen the unqualified title.

For female actors, I'd say Briana Buckmaster.

• Love 1
(edited)

To kick start some actor discussion here are some questions 

1. Rank the acting ability of J2M. (This is strictly in regards to their acting skill) 

2. Rank J2M Overall. (This can be based on the show, your own personal encounters with them, con videos, social media etc) 

3. Who is your favourite actor outside of J2M? (Or your favourite if you prefer someone out of the main three) 

4. What episodes did (insert name of your highest ranking actor in question 1) show their best acting skills. 

5. What episodes did (insert name of your lowest ranking actor in question 1) show their best acting skills. 

6. What is it you like about the actor you ranked highest for question two. 

((To avoid bitch vs jerk let's try and stick to discussing the strengths of the actors as opposed to getting into their perceived weaknesses :) ))

1. Since my answer can change depending on genre I am going to give three seperatee lists; overall acting, dramatic acting and comedy acting. 

Overall Acting 

Jensen Ackles (7/10) 

Jared Padaleckj (6/10) 

Misha Collins (6/10) 

Dramatic Acting 

Jensen Ackles (10/10) 

Jared Padalecki (7/10) 

Misha Collins (6/10) 

Comedy Acting 

Misha Collins (6/10) 

Jared Padalecki (4/10) 

Jensen Ackles (3/10) 

2. I am not going to give actual marks because I feel that's just tacky when personality is a factor likely considered. 

1. Misha Collins 

2. Jared Padalecki 

3. Jensen Ackles

3. This is honestly a tough one as the show has had so many wonderful actors over the year. I would probably say Jeffrey Dean Morgan, because while I have some issues with his character, JDM was an excellent actor and had brilliant chemistry with Jared and Jensen. I'd also like to give special shout outs to Jim Beaver (Bobby), Fredric Lehne (Azazel) and Samantha Ferris (Ellen). 

4. Jensen always puts in a good performance for the drama based episode, so it is hard to narrow it down. However, episodes such as In my Time of Dying, The End, and On the Head of a Pin particularly stand out in my mind. 

5. While he may not put in as consistent a performance as Jensen, Misha has also put in some pretty great performances over the years. My favourites include The Rapture and The Man Who would be King. I also loved his portrayal of Cas adjusting to humanity and growing as a person throughout season nine. 

6. I positively adore Misha and his overall approach to life. I love that he has been through so many difficult times and made a life for himself. I love how open minded he is and that he shows such interest in his fans and helping them. I also admire all the work he has done through charitable projects such as YANA and GISHWHES. He also has a sense of humour similar to my own and so it appeals to me. 

Edited by Wayward Son

1. Rank the acting ability of J2M. (This is strictly in regards to their acting skill) 

2. Rank J2M Overall. (This can be based on the show, your own personal encounters with them, con videos, social media etc) 

3. Who is your favourite actor outside of J2M? (Or your favourite if you prefer someone out of the main three) 

4. Name the actor you ranked highest for question one best episode. 

5. Name the actor you ranked lowest for question one best episode. 

I`m not gonna break it down into individual acting categories but more strength and weaknesses within the show as I haven`t seen an equal amount of outside projects for them all:

Question 1:

1. Jensen - strengths:  subtlety, softening bad writing (which is a godsend on this show) and while I prefer him doing drama, I believe he has good comedic timing,

weaknesses:  can get too broad and overdoes slapstick if not reigned in by a director

2. Misha - strengths:  ability to give a lot of nuance to a rather stoic character (not many actors can play stoic) 

weaknesses:  can get too hammy when going outside character (some of his Lucifer was splendid and some of it was atrocious)

3. Jared -  strengths:  mimicry, Meg!Sam was great and pretty spot on with some of Nikki Aycox` ticks

weaknesses:  plays bad writing straight and/or up  (this is a deathknell on this show) 

Question 2:

1. Jensen

2. Misha

3. Jared

Question 3:

The show had some high calibre guest stars or recurring performers, I`d give JDM the top spot here 

Question 4:

Hm, I didn`t name a best episode in question 1 but it would be Lazarus Rising. Highest-ranking performer is easily Jensen here. 

Question 5:

Lowest ranking performer for Lazarus Rising would be Genevieve Padalecki, hell no. Anybody else actually did pretty good work in that one but she stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

Question 6:

I like Jensen`s dry humor and that he is a bit reserved and doesn`t really toot his own horn too much.

Actually in terms of personal fan encounters, none of J2M have been actually mean anytime I saw them. Mark Sheppard is a great actor but he could be acerbic in ways that I was a bit terrified during his M&G. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I've decided to better phase questions 4 and 5. 

4. What episodes did (insert name of your highest ranking actor in question 1) show their best acting skills.

5. What episodes did (insert name of lowest ranking actor in question 1) show their best acting skills.  

So basically 4 is for people to talk all about their favourite actors best performances and 5 is to encourage some nice words for actors one may not normally favour :)

Edited by Wayward Son
1 minute ago, Aeryn13 said:

Then I`d like to revise my answers to What is and what should never be and Born under a Bad Sign respectively.  :)

Awesome! Sorry for my initial bad wording causing confusion. 

On 7/24/2017 at 1:55 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

Jensen is the best actor on the show. Until Mark Sheppard left, I'd have put them on equal footing, but now that he's gone, I give Jensen the unqualified title.

For female actors, I'd say Briana Buckmaster.

I adore Mark Sheppard, but he pretty much delivers the same performance over and over.  It's a great performance, so I keep coming back for more, but how many times can one man talk calmly for most of the scene and then RAISE HIS VOICE AT THE END FOR EFFECT!?!

I've posted this before, but I think Jared is a very fine actor.  He's done so many different things on the show, from so many angles, and I really value and appreciate what he brings to Sam.  Moreover, I love what he's brought to all the not-Sams over the years.  But Jensen's a freaking savant.  His instinct and talent are beyond measure.

To the question at hand:

1) JA, MC, JP

2) I've met them at cons and even done the extended M&Gs, but I don't know these people. By all accounts, they seem like loving, dedicated husbands and fathers who are making the world a better place, so I won't rank them.

3) That's tough. I'll go off the board here and say Robert Wisdom as Uriel. He was such an exquisite dick.  Honorable mention to Amy Gumenick.

4) Best JA performance? I don't even know where to begin. Can I just say Season 2, with call-outs to Hollywood Babylon (They're aware!) and What is and What Should Never Be

5) Best JP performance? Tempted to say Born Under a Bad Sign, but let's go with Mystery Spot.

6) See above

• Love 5
(edited)
12 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

The actors of SPN have just as much influence in our Celebs list. Jensen Ackles has appeared on a whopping 128/129 lists. Misha Collins (@mishacollins) has been on 96 and Jared Padalecki on 63.

Without getting into a bitch vs jerk discussion, or debating who deserves what and so on, this is an example of why I consider Jensen the most popular and arguably invaluable of the main cast. He is often the one who gets the most attention and several places such as Twitter, tumblr and on here are very much dominated by Dean / Jensen fans. This is the reason why, when it has come up as a possibility in the past, I have argued strongly against the possibility of the show continuing if Jensen were to quit and pursue other projects. 

Im putting this in here because it is a comment on my thoughts on an actor and his place on the show. It is in no way intended as a diss against Jared and Misha. 

Edited by Wayward Son

He is often the one who gets the most attention and several places such as Twitter, tumblr and on here are very much dominated by Dean / Jensen fans. 

I find a lot of tumblr to be quite hostile to Dean/Jensen fans. Back when the show started IMO he had greater popularity but I would honestly say it has waned in the last few years. Nowadays I couldn`t say who is more popular anymore. 

This show's not going anywhere without both Jensen and Jared.  It's that relationship that makes the show.  It's not about the acting or the writing, it's that intangible something between those two that sucked us in to this show and won't let us leave till the bitter end. 

• Love 1
On 7/24/2017 at 11:59 AM, Wayward Son said:

1. Rank the acting ability of J2M. (This is strictly in regards to their acting skill) 

5. What episodes did (insert name of your lowest ranking actor in question 1) show their best acting skills. 

1. Jensen, Misha, Jared

2. They seem like amazing people but my perception is based mostly off of interviews & vids on social media; I've never met any of the actors. They all seem very charming & outgoing & seem to be really sweet to their fans which I think is cool.

3. I'm gonna go with Mark Sheppard. I loved & hated Crowley in equal measure but when the writing was good he always kept my attention when he was on screen.

4. All Hell Breaks Loose Part 2. Jensen made me feel Dean's anguish, helplessness & desperation when sitting by Sam's body and trying to figure out a way to fix things (he made me cry!)

5. Born Under A Bad Sign. Jared was incredible in this episode.

6. I can't really rank one above the other based on my response for question 2 but I like the genuine fondness that they all seem to have for each other and their dedication to the show & their characters.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, sarthaz said:

Misha Collins has made me a better person.

13 hours ago, SueB said:

Me too!

Because I'm nosy, and I love a feel good storyline featuring the amazing Misha Collins, how do you both feel he has helped make you better people? :) 

11 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Because I'm nosy, and I love a feel good storyline featuring the amazing Misha Collins, how do you both feel he has helped make you better people? :) 

1) Activities that he does like asking homeless people what they need and going out an getting it.  I've done more donations for homeless since then.  

2) His political message of fighting for what is right - it inspires me to get out there and write letters, engage w/ my representatives, etc...

• Love 3

For something to do I re-watched Ten Inch Hero.  I've seen it so many times I just FF through the bits when Priestly isn't on screen.  Anyway, out of interest I went to the IMDb site and checked out the reviews.  It seems everyone was pretty much blown away by Jensen's performance. Lots of accolades for him. They hardly even mention the other characters or actors.  

He's always getting digs about his bowlegs, but I don't think it bothers him too much. Jensen picked out the kilt he wore.  It wasn't in the script.  Also with the red shorts and whistle...

Apologies if I've posted in the wrong spot. I wish IMDb would re-open message boards.  It was a much larger community than Prev TV.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

I don't really think so.  If he was dropped for story, then why bring in Asmodeus?  If they wanted Lucifer to take over the King of Hell role, why hire another actor entirely to do what Mark S. was already doing?  That's what I don't get, and that's why I think it was a budget decision.  

17 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I could be wrong and correct me if I am , @MysteryGuest but I think you think Mark S was dropped for budget regardless of story whereas I think Mark S  was dropped for Lucifer specifically.  Maybe that's the difference. Or do I have that wrong?

Ah OK I think I understand now! I think I’m somewhere in between you both. 

I agree with @MysteryGuest that it was likely a budget related issue. I think in an ideal world we’d have a cast of Jared (lead) , Jensen (lead), Mark S, Alexander, Mark P and Misha. However, this isn’t an ideal world and the network was only prepared to pay for three regulars. 

Then I think storyline considerations came into it so I also agree with @catrox14 that it was a factor. I think at this point they likely decided Mark S / Crowley would be the one cut because his role as a ruler of hell and frenemy would be the most easily replaced. Lucifer already has history with the boys and given a common goal (destroying Michael) they can elevate him to a frenemy they’ve a long complicated messed up history with. On the other hand, they’ve only met Jack. They’re only getting to know each other and there is simply no way Jack can become the boys best friend the way Castiel is at the moment. 

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Ah OK I think I understand now! I think I’m somewhere in between you both. 

I agree with @MysteryGuest that it was likely a budget related issue. I think in an ideal world we’d have a cast of Jared (lead) , Jensen (lead), Mark S, Alexander, Mark P and Misha. However, this isn’t an ideal world and the network was only prepared to pay for three regulars. 

Then I think storyline considerations came into it so I also agree with @catrox14 that it was a factor. I think at this point they likely decided Mark S / Crowley would be the one cut because his role as a ruler of hell and frenemy would be the most easily replaced. Lucifer already has history with the boys and given a common goal (destroying Michael) they can elevate him to a frenemy they’ve a long complicated messed up history with. On the other hand, they’ve only met Jack. They’re only getting to know each other and there is simply no way Jack can become the boys best friend the way Castiel is at the moment. 

Are you saying that essentially split Crowley's role into Asmodeus as the King of Hell with added straight up enemy and Lucifer is now the frienemy that Crowley had become? I don't see how that saves them money when they are giving one role to two different characters,  one of which is Mark Pellegrino who I imagine commands a higher wage than Mark S or Asmodeus actor. Jack doesn't really factor IMO because he was always gonna be a thing.

That's why to me it's a straight up story/character/actor move with Crowley and Lucifer given the hoops to keep him around. I think the process started in s11 with Devil in the Details. They were setting up Lucifer to take over from Crowley back in s11 but Pellegrino could not be booked for s12 as a regular so they kept him as a place holder via all the other actors.  Crowley's story meanders all over the place in s11 with Amara then helping TFW save the world from Amara but he does nothing really. He drives them I guess. Then in s12 Rowena gets her vengeance for him killing Oscar with his son. But randomly Crowley has Lucifer on ice and is being petty towards him which Crowley is never petty to his own detriment. And then they writers literally have Lucifer "kill" him. And he gets one last frienemy move with sacrificing himself.  To me Mark S was being written out over two years for Lucifer

I think Asmodeus was the fallback option for King of Hell since they killed off Crowley for Lucifer.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Are you saying that essentially split Crowley's role into Asmodeus as the King of Hell with added straight up enemy and Lucifer is now the frienemy that Crowley had become? I don't see how that saves them money when they are giving one role to two different characters,  one of which is Mark Pellegrino who I imagine commands a higher wage than Mark S or Asmodeus actor. Jack doesn't really factor IMO because he was always gonna be a thing.

At the moment yes! Although I don’t expect Asmodeus to possess the same longevity as Crowley. I’d say he’ll be dead by the end of this season and Lucifer will go back to being king of hell. As you said I think Lucifer was always going to be a thing due to the nephilim storyline. I just think that ultimately the writers are going to use him to replace Crowley’s role as king of hell and frenemy in addition to the importance he’ll hold in the Jack storyline as Jack’s father and the enemy of Lucifer. 

A bit like

Dabb: “Hmm we cant afford all four of them! I know... Let’s make Lucifer / Mark P replace Crowley / Mark S as king of hell and frenemy of the boys IN ADDITION to what we already had planned for him”

On the other hand, Jack simply can’t take over Castiel’s role as their best friend and closest supernatural ally. Unlike Lucifer who already has his own history with the brothers Jack has no history of them that could remotely recreate that dynamic so Cas was safe. However, a few seasons from now when the brothers have gotten to know Jack and truly formed bonds with him.. that could change. 

ETA: @catrox14 . So basically I think it was budget cuts that prevented them from using all four as regulars this season. Alexander and Mark P were definitely getting promotions so they used storyline considerations to help them decide who out of Misha and Mark S was getting the cut and ultimately that was Mark S. 

Edited by Wayward Son
24 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I just think that ultimately the writers are going to use him to replace Crowley’s role as king of hell and frenemy in addition to the importance he’ll hold in the Jack storyline as Jack’s father and the enemy of Lucifer. 

Wait you think Asmodeus will become a frienemy?

14 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Wait you think Asmodeus will become a frienemy?

No, sorry, I think Asmodeus is a very temporary one season (if even) character. I think after both his demise and Michael has been dealt with Lucifer will become king of hell and something of a frenemy. 

I think Lucifer was initially brought back to sire Jack and play a key role in the fight against AU Michael. Lucifer having a role in that fight makes some sense since Lucifer vs Michael was such a big thing back in the day. I’m speculating that when they decided they couldn’t keep all 4 as regulars they decided to drop Mark S and give Lucifer Crowley’s role as king and frenemy IN ADDITION to their existing plans for him. 

Edited by Wayward Son
2 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

No, sorry, I think Asmodeus is a very temporary one season (if even) character. I think after both his demise and Michael has been dealt with Lucifer will become king of hell and something of a frenemy. 

Ahhhh gotcha. Gods I hope you're wrong about Lucifer in that role. I don't like what they are doing with him already, regardless of Pellegrino's acting talents. I want Lucifer GONE after this season.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

They have. But things can change. Jared says he doesn't want to act in a series again. Jensen doesn't say that. I think it's going to be harder for Jensen to leave the show than Jared because IMO Jensen loves playing Dean more than Jared loves playing Sam. And that's not a B v Jerk thing either. I think he wants to do other things. Jensen is a craftsman about his work in TV. I think he wants to stay working in TV. Jensen has said he would happily direct Wayward eps if that gets picked up. And I also think they both feel a responsibility to the crew. To make sure they have jobs.

So I really wonder if now the end of SPN depends on whether Wayward gets a green light. Like if it gets picked up then they can end SPN sooner.

I used to think this but I'm not so sure anymore TBH. I've been thinking maybe all of this is a stealth move to switch Supernatural to Wayward and given Brianna's comments that it will be not that different in tone from SPN that maybe that's the stealth plan all along?

Change it from the inside and not build a new entire ship. The only problem with that theory is that it's being said it won't film in Vancouver which means everyone goes to L.A. which I guess can happen. My point is more that I think the mothership name Supernatural will end when the boys leave. But the ship keeps going revamped into Wayward. Not Wayward Sisters specifically. JMHO.

could definitey see something like that being the case! If it’s true J2 feel a sense of responsibility to the crew (have they ever actually said this, or is it fan speculation?) then a successful spin off could be a perfect solution for them. 

The existing crew (props etc) could transfer to Wayward and continue work there allowing J2 to leave without the guilt of leaving friends out of work. 

One problem with this is the fact both shows are airing concurrently and in separate areas to one another. It would be difficult (if SN has a shorter season) to impossible (if it has a full season) for the crew to work both shows meaning Wayward would have to bring in people of their own. What happens to those people when SN ends and it is time to transfer the SN crew to Wayward? Do those who were there when the spin off started get fired? That seems an awful move to me!

Edited by Wayward Son
3 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

could definitey see something like that being the case! If it’s true J2 feel a sense of responsibility to the crew (have they ever actually said this, or is it fan speculation?) then a successful spin off could be a perfect solution for them. 

They see the crew as family and sing their praises all day long. They do consider the effects on the people they work with if they call it a day. I think they have made remarks to that effect I just can't think of them verbatim.

9 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

The existing crew (props etc) could transfer to Wayward and continue work there allowing J2 to leave without the guilt of leaving friends out of work. 

One problem with this is the fact both shows are airing concurrently and in separate areas to one another. It would be difficult (if SN has a shorter season) to impossible (if it has a full season) for the crew to work both shows meaning Wayward would have to bring in people of their own. What happens to those people when SN ends and it is time to transfer the SN crew to Wayward? Do those who were there when the spin off started get fired? That seems an awful move to me!

It's being said that Wayward will shoot in L.A. so I could see them offering the crew to go to L.A. if they wanted. Some may opt for it others may not.

13 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

It's being said that Wayward will shoot in L.A. so I could see them offering the crew to go to L.A. if they wanted. Some may opt for it others may not.

I suppose that could work, but IMO the only way a transfer of crew could work is if a spin off started the year after SN finished. For instance next year Wayward Sisters will have to hire an entire new crew for their show as the people involved in Supernatural will be busy with Supernatural. I would imagine Kim, Brianna etc wouldn’t be keen on seeing many of the people they worked with throughout season 1 fired so that the SN crew could take over the position for season 2 and beyond. 

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

They have. But things can change. Jared says he doesn't want to act in a series again. Jensen doesn't say that. I think it's going to be harder for Jensen to leave the show than Jared because IMO Jensen loves playing Dean more than Jared loves playing Sam. And that's not a B v Jerk thing either. I think he wants to do other things. Jensen is a craftsman about his work in TV. I think he wants to stay working in TV. Jensen has said he would happily direct Wayward eps if that gets picked up. And I also think they both feel a responsibility to the crew. To make sure they have jobs.

@catrox14

Where did you get this? Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, auntvi said:

@catrox14

Where did you get this? Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.

Wishful thinking? I have no idea what this means. It's my impressions of them. What would be the wishful thinking part of it? 

10 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't know for sure, but I assume that a lot of the crew working in Vancouver are Canadian? It isn't just as easy as all that for us to go work in the US.

Oh I guess I was thinking it was easier for you guys to come work here. But I hadn't considered that. Fair point.

Nevermind all my theories. Probably different crews altogether then. 

I think they might have had an end date in mind, but I'm wondering if all of the publicity and attention they've received this past year has made them rethink their plan.  They're finally getting some mainstream recognition, so I'd hate for them to quit now.  I know we're nearing the end, but I hope they stick around for another year or two.  

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Oh I guess I was thinking it was easier for you guys to come work here. But I hadn't considered that. Fair point.

Nevermind all my theories. Probably different crews altogether then. 

It's complicated. I don't know about the entertainment business, but there are only a few professions with carte blanche to work in the US (registered nurses are golden, lol). It may not be the case - I honestly don't know. When I looked into it years ago, one of the requirements was that the employer had to prove there were no qualified Americans available for the job. Maybe that would be relevant to tv production crews.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It's complicated. I don't know about the entertainment business, but there are only a few professions with carte blanche to work in the US (registered nurses are golden, lol). It may not be the case - I honestly don't know. When I looked into it years ago, one of the requirements was that the employer had to prove there were no qualified Americans available for the job. Maybe that would be relevant to tv production crews.

That would make sense.

On a slightly related note... What do you see the main cast doing once Supernatural ends / their time on the show comes to an end.

Jensen ~ I think he'll stay in the field of entertainment though. While there is a good chance he will choose to continue acting I think he could just as easily switch to directing instead. I am basing this on the fact he has directed several Supernatural episodes and spoke of how much he enjoyed it and the fact he is said to have previously looked into roles with large names companies like Marvel. 

Jared ~ Based on Jared's recent comments I doubt he will be a regular in a tv show again or holds enough ambition to try his luck at gaining roles on the big screen. I think Jared will likely spend large amounts of time at home and work on side projects such as more wine lines, occasionally guest starring when the urge to dip back into acting strikes, and charitable projects such as AKF. I am basing this on his recent comment about not wanting

Misha ~ Like Jared I think Misha will bow out of the world of entertaining when the show ends. He may do the occasional guest appearance, but for the most part he'll likely become a full time philanthropist and dedicate himself even further to numerous charitable causes. I am basing this guest on the fact when asked about directing Misha has stated he has chosen not to do so again as he didn't have the time due to his work on things such as YANA and GISHWHES. This suggests to me that his charitable work is a higher priority to him than advancing in the world of entertainment. 

Alexander Calvert ~ I really don't follow Alexander outside of the show so I honestly have no idea if he has said anything about his future plans. Considering he is still quite young and has been acting for several years already I'm going to assume he intends to continue post Supernatural. I wish him the best as I feel he has done an excellent job of making Jack a sympathetic character. 

Mark Pellegrino ~  I think his career will return to how it was before he became a regular on Supernatural. Lots of one off guest appearances and the odd recurring role there and there. 

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

LOL, yeah, except I don't necessarily believe it would work in the opposite direction. ;)

ETA: I do think you're right about Jared wanting out though. And he did say that both he and Jensen have now agreed on how they want it to end, but they'd have to convince TPTB of it. Given that, and how many times recently he's said he thinks it has to end with the brothers dying (otherwise they'd be hunting, and if they're hunting, he wants to see it), I won't be surprised if it ends with both of them dead. But I still stand by my gut-feeling that Dean's days are numbered.

What makes you think it wouldn't work in the opposite direction? IMO from what we've seen Jensen is the more ambitious and committed to the field of entertainment. He's the one who has chosen to direct multiple episodes of the show presumably to see the world of television from a whole new angle and add to his resume. Jensen is also the one who has been known to have talks with big studios such as Marvel. While for a long time now, particularly in the past year, Jared has spoken of how he doesn't intend to act full time once the show ends and would be happy to just become one of those actors who makes the odd guest appearance when the itch to act for a bit strike. So what makes you think he'd be more likely to continue without Jensen when Jensen is the one who seems more committed to the business? 

Just to be clear in order to avoid misunderstandings. While there are times the descriptor 'ambitious' can be used as a negative one that is not my intent in this post. There is nothing wrong with possessing a healthy dose of ambition and drive :) 

Edited by Wayward Son
Just now, Wayward Son said:

What makes you think it wouldn't work in the opposite direction? IMO from what we've seen Jensen is the more ambitious and committed to the field of entertainment. He's the one who has chosen to direct multiple episodes of the show presumably to see the world of television from a whole new angle and add to his resume. Jensen is also the one who has been known to have talks with big studios such as Marvel. While for a long time now, particularly in the past year, Jared has spoken of how he doesn't intend to act full time once the show ends and would be happy to just become one of those actors who makes the odd guest appearance when the itch to act for a bit strike. So what makes you think he'd be more likely to continue without Jensen when Jensen is the one who seems more committed to the business.

Just to be clear in order to avoid misunderstandings. While there are times the descriptor 'ambitious' can be used as a negative one that is not my intent in this post. There is nothing wrong with possessing a healthy dose of ambition and drive :) 

Believe it or not, I don't mean it in a disparaging way towards Jared. As you said, 'ambitious' is not an insult, and in a business like 'show business', neither is looking out for yourself. There's a reason Jared has never given up 'first billing' over the seasons*. And based solely on my own impressions of them after seeing hours of interviews, con footage and social media, I think Jared is the more -- and I'm searching for a word here, let's use practical -- one when it comes to his career and ambitions. I have no desire to argue or defend my impressions - they are what they are.

*Not that I think Jensen should have it either, but they should have been equal billed after S1, IMO

7 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Believe it or not, I don't mean it in a disparaging way towards Jared. As you said, 'ambitious' is not an insult, and in a business like 'show business', neither is looking out for yourself. There's a reason Jared has never given up 'first billing' over the seasons*. And based solely on my own impressions of them after seeing hours of interviews, con footage and social media, I think Jared is the more -- and I'm searching for a word here, let's use practical -- one when it comes to his career and ambitions. I have no desire to argue or defend my impressions - they are what they are.

*Not that I think Jensen should have it either, but they should have been equal billed after S1, IMO

Aside from the first billing what about Jared's behaviour in interview, con footage etc strikes you as giving the impression he's more practical than Jensen? Sorry, I'm not trying to attack your opinion or act as an overly defensive Jared fan. I'm honestly just curious because of how much Jared has spoken recently of his desire to leave acting behind post SN :) 

1 minute ago, Wayward Son said:

Aside from the first billing what about Jared's behaviour in interview, con footage etc strikes you as giving the impression he's more practical than Jensen? Sorry, I'm not trying to attack your opinion or act as an overly defensive Jared fan. I'm honestly just curious because of how much Jared has spoken recently of his desire to leave acting behind post SN :) 

Jared's proclaimed desire to 'retire' doesn't really have anything to do with his nature. I'm saying any decisions Jared makes are made with Jared in mind. Nothing wrong with that. 

3 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Jared's proclaimed desire to 'retire' doesn't really have anything to do with his nature. I'm saying any decisions Jared makes are made with Jared in mind. Nothing wrong with that. 

So, it occurs to me - Jared's very savvy and would not want TPTB to know everything about him. (Especially with the speculation that Singer keeps Misha just in case Jared has another breakdown.) Jared's public statements could be considered part of his contract negotiations. As in, if they want him to stay for another season, it will be on his terms, e.g. fewer episodes or mini-series or whatever. Just speculation......

36 minutes ago, auntvi said:

(Especially with the speculation that Singer keeps Misha just in case Jared has another breakdown.)

Wow I have never heard that spec before. That's pretty demeaning to Jared, Misha and Singer. I don't believe that for a minute.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, auntvi said:

So, it occurs to me - Jared's very savvy and would not want TPTB to know everything about him. (Especially with the speculation that Singer keeps Misha just in case Jared has another breakdown.) Jared's public statements could be considered part of his contract negotiations. As in, if they want him to stay for another season, it will be on his terms, e.g. fewer episodes or mini-series or whatever. Just speculation......

36 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Wow I have never heard that spec before. That's pretty demeaning to Jared, Misha and Singer. I don't believe that for a minute.

I was just about to ask where you heard that spec from @auntvi because I’ve never heard it before. 

Personally, I don’t believe that spec for a minute. Putting aside the demeaning aspect of it @catrox14 mentioned Singer would have to be an idiot if he thinks he can replace Jared/Sam with Misha/Cas and I say that as a major Cas fan. 

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

I was just about to ask where you heard that spec from @auntvi because I’ve never heard it before. 

Somewhere on tumblr - and it may have come from the spn-gossip board originally, which is really wacko! Sorry, didn't intend to be inflammatory. At any rate, I still think Jared is using the "retiring from acting" gambit as a bargaining tool.

Jared has talked about walking away from acting, at least temporarily, for quite some time.  That definitely seems to have ramped up in the last year or so.  They've mentioned that they've decided on an end date, but we won't know if that date has been extended at all, since we don't know what they originally decided.  

Listening to the con videos from this past weekend, they were talking again about how the show should end, and Jared said that only one brother should die.  I'd have to watch it again to get the full context of the comment, but it struck me as a bit unusual.  It's so hard to know what's in their heads.  On one hand they talk about ending the show, then they talk about doing shorter seasons/movies, and then they talk about guest starring on Wayward, if it's picked up.  Regardless, as ready as they may be to walk away from these characters for good, I think the reality of it is going to be pretty hard for them both.  

Jensen doesn't seem to talk much about wanting to retire from acting, though he has made comments about spending more time with his family.  I can see him continuing to act, if he can find a project, and I won't be surprised if Jared takes an extended break. 

2 hours ago, auntvi said:

Somewhere on tumblr - and it may have come from the spn-gossip board originally, which is really wacko! Sorry, didn't intend to be inflammatory. At any rate, I still think Jared is using the "retiring from acting" gambit as a bargaining tool.

I can see it being a bargaining thing.

I just cannot fathom who benefits from that kind of rumor. Why would someone try to woobify Jared for his mental health concerns which is really shitty and it completely denigrates Singer that he would think so poorly of Misha as an actor and I don't see that being the case. Man, that's something else. SMH

2 hours ago, auntvi said:

I still think Jared is using the "retiring from acting" gambit as a bargaining tool.

I'm not sure it's (entirely) a bargaining tool--I think Jared is burned (or burning) out, in between being away from his family too much (which does seem to affect his mental health); the heavy shooting schedule and the cons that take up even more of his spare/family time.  I don't think he's going to walk away from acting entirely, but I can see him backing off until he's more in balance (or starts to get bored, or gets an offer too good to refuse.)  He's only 35? 36?  I can't see him spending the rest of his life sitting back and waiting for residuals/money from his bar or other investments to come in.  (Granted, the first time I burned out on a job, it took a year and a desperate need for money before I went back to work, and even then I switched to an entirely different field.)  

I think Jensen might want to take a break from acting, in between setting up The Family Business and wanting to spend more time with his kids while they're young.  TBH, I can see him getting more into directing, which, while time intensive, he can (hopefully) pick and choose which projects and when, and have a set/limited time frame that can be planned in advance (and, paraphrasing: like cars, "once you fix 'em they leave and you're not responsible for them any more." ) :)    I don't think either of them wants something with a multi-year full-time commitment right now--maybe after the kids are older?  And of course, I can't see either of them turning down a really good role.  Hopefully they'll be offered some!

As for myself--I'll be *majorly* pissed if only one brother dies (no matter which one.)  Frankly, I don't want anyone else (except Lucifer) to die (especially if they want to keep the door open for future SPN projects or even guest shots, even though "dead" is a relative term for the show.)  :)

But having the boys die at the end would ruin the whole show for me, just like the end of Quantum Leap ruined my enjoyment of however many years it went on before.  I guess I'm just a sucker for happy (or at least satisfying) endings.  

20 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

He made a remark at one of his last Creation Cons that it wasn't his choice. 

Did he? That is interesting. 

Im purely speculating of course, but I wonder if they axed him to make room for Mark P money wise.

Yes, I know they made Alex/Jack a regular this year, but I’d imagine a young actor like Alexander would have cost considerably less than an established actor like Mark Shepherd who had been with the show in one form or another for eight years.