Type keyword(s) to search

Sharknado 5: Global Swarming (Syfy) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Sharknado 5: Global Swarming airs Sunday, August 6, 8/7pm on SyFy
I wonder why they don't air these during Shark Week in July.

From Metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/feature/tv-premiere-dates):

Miscellaneous, shark-related

New guest stars include Charo, Olivia Newton-John, Clay Aiken, Margaret Cho, Tony Hawk, Greg Louganis, Gilbert Gottfried, Fabio (playing the Pope), and Bret Michaels.

1 hour ago, CletusMusashi said:

I feel sorry for "Game of Thrones."

Who could possibly compete with this masterpiece?

Heh.  To each is own I guess. I find the Sharknado series to be a masterpiece of its own kind.  I wait all year of it and I am always satisfied.  This year it had a weird end of the world vibe to it that actually worked with the current....uh climate.  Nichelle Nicol's cameos was my favorite of course.  Some of the line delivery was fabulously awful but that is kind of the point.  "London Bridge is falling down."   Nova in her Xena outfit.  This whole thing just worked for me.  The Hindenburg.........

I know people love Game Of Thrones and again to each is own but I much prefer this.  Plus I kinda do like the relationship between Fin and April and it worked very well in this chapter which probably could have been called "The Search For Gil."  

I am so in for number 6.   I just hate having to wait another year.  I love this series.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

That was stupid, ridiculous, over the top, had little basis in reality, badly acted, and it was so much fun.  Zod damn, that was just a blast.

I'd rank it as the second best in the franchise, part 2 is still the best.  This was a massive improvement over part 4, part 4 made the terrible mistake of being boring with the exception of Gemini.  Good to see them reclaim it being B-movie fun.

And kudos to The Offspring for allowing "The Kids Aren't Alright" to be licensed for this.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 3

I have to admit, I was so distracted by the bad face lifts on some of the women that it took me out of the show at times.  Charo, in particular, made me feel so sad and I kept saying Charo?  Why???  

My favorites were Kris Kattan, Clay Aiken, Gerg Louganis, Fabio, and Dolph Lundgren.  Throw internet stones at me, I don't care, but these older guys look great and they don't look like they've had much, if any, work done on their faces.

I liked the 'round the world aspect, but the British stuff was the weakest IMO and those newscasters got on my nerves.  I actually dozed off a bit towards the end, but I was glad I saw Dolph at the end.  

I want April to finally die so that Finn can wind up with Nova.  There.  I've said it.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

God no I love April.  I think April dying would be the thing that would sour me to the show for good.  I adore Tara Reid in this.  She is not the worlds best actress but I love her to pieces inthe roll of Finn's robot wife.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Heh.  To each is own I guess. I find the Sharknado series to be a masterpiece of its own kind.  I wait all year of it and I am always satisfied.  This year it had a weird end of the world vibe to it that actually worked with the current....uh climate.  Nichelle Nicol's cameos was my favorite of course.  Some of the line delivery was fabulously awful but that is kind of the point.  "London Bridge is falling down."   Nova in her Xena outfit.  This whole thing just worked for me.  The Hindenburg.........

I know people love Game Of Thrones and again to each is own but I much prefer this.  Plus I kinda do like the relationship between Fin and April and it worked very well in this chapter which probably could have been called "The Search For Gil."  

I am so in for number 6.   I just hate having to wait another year.  I love this series.

I haven't watched this but reading "Nova in her Xena outfit" reminded me that in an interview Lucy Lawless said she turned down a role in this. 

• Love 1

My god this was so bad..........everything about it.  The acting.  The writing.  The shameless cameos with shameless references to prior roles.  The special effects.  The ridiculous nature of the story, which really is just well beyond making any sense at all at this point.  Don't even try to apply any logic

He is carrying around the head of his dead wife for Christ's sake!!!  Or at least the head of his dead half robotic wife. 

That little kid playing the son was particularly annoying. 

I am assuming they will all be back with the time travel angle.  And of course I will be watching the 6th one next year. 

I did watch Game of Thrones sunday and saved this one for last night though

• Love 2

Such a dearth of comments? I was hoping there might be an identifying of references to other movie and tv shows.  I think I missed a lot. I think the whole back tothe future is the only way, I do see a sharknado 7 in the future though, they are pretty much way over the top, they have had sharks in space and sharks every country and pretty much destroyed the earth and killed everyone, even if they start over, they can only do some things once.  

Glad to see that I wasn't alone in my Sharknado voyuerism.   Uhura and Chris Kattan were absolutely the stars.   I had read some of the guests previously and was a bit underwhelmed by Charo and Margaret Cho.   Loved Olivia Newton-John, but her daughter.....

I, too, am rooting for April's demise.   I don't care who Fin ends up with, but I just can't take Tara Reid.

• Love 1

Wait. What?
I was all bent out of shape from early on when I thought I heard Ian/Fin say back home we're trying to "make America great again," but then I just saw on IMDb: "Tagline: Make America bait again." So is that what he really said?
I had to watch with Arabic subtitles (DADT) and all I learned from them was that an exclamation of "No!" Looks like a capital U with trident prong ends on the two top tips of the letter. 

I did dose off briefly during Brazil, but considering I worked a full day, went for a swim in Lake Michigan, and then took a shower before I got in bed with my iPad Mini to try to watch it, that's not too bad. I did laugh once, but don't recall at what.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for time travel—even when it's abused to do a retcon—so I'll be back for more—hopefully with fewer bad face lifts.

My favorite thing was the Egyptian hieroglyphics with the shark heads. They looked like they could be real. Combined with the time traveling and the magical artifacts, it felt like a nice homage to the Stargate franchise.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

That was [Olivia Newton John's] daughter standing next to her with the awful facelift? oof

I know! I was thinking how sad it was that ONJ was growing "old" so gracefully and beautifully, and yet her daughter has been implanted, lifted, and plasticized to within an inch of having Mattel stamped on her ass (and with the end result so terrifyingly awful). I do not understand why any of these ladies think that makes them look good, and there seemed to be a lot of them in this show.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Zanne said:

I know! I was thinking how sad it was that ONJ was growing "old" so gracefully and beautifully, and yet her daughter has been implanted, lifted, and plasticized to within an inch of having Mattel stamped on her ass (and with the end result so terrifyingly awful). I do not understand why any of these ladies think that makes them look good, and there seemed to be a lot of them in this show.

And what was up with the teeny tiny waistline?  Did she have some ribs removed?

Chloe has been anorexic in the past (body image issues is self abuse in many ways) she says she is not anymore, but talk is cheap.  She says she uses a waist trainer. which is another way to warp your body in self torture/self hate.. She is supposedly a singer and actress, but I can't imagine it is in any notable way. 

On 8/8/2017 at 0:42 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I am assuming they will all be back with the time travel angle.  And of course I will be watching the 6th one next year.

You can all see it now ..........  Sharknados in ancient Egypt, sharknados during the American Revolution,  sharknados attacking Napoleon, sharknados at Woodstock, sharkna.................

There actually was a tornado during the War of 1812, but I really doubt this franchise is slightly interested in attempting realism in history,

since they don't bother with realism in anything else.

On 8/8/2017 at 1:38 PM, holly4755 said:

I do see a sharknado 7 in the future though,

They do have to reach seven before they can at least have the same number as the Police Academy franchise.  Guttenburg actually showed up a few movies ago.  He was plugging his own franchise; something about giant killer tarantulas, but I can't help but feel that secretly, he was giving his "blessing" to this ridiculous franchise as well.

Edited by Twilight Man
  • Love 2

Was it just me, or did April seem even ditzier after her "upgrade?" On original viewing, I took it to be that phony "boop boopy doo" stage-dumb, and that all they really did was reapir some robotic shit and give her a makeover. Which still isn't that far from what I think happened. I think they repaired some robotics, gave her a makeover, and then she ran with it, trying to act as sexy as possible... while still under the influence of a shitload of surgical anasthesia.

I don't think the time travel is even going to reach accuracy levels of "Bill and Ted." I expect to see Megalodons, Tyrannosauri, maybe Hitler as a quick comedy relief death, and if they need sidekicks it'll probably be The Knights of The Round Table.

None of this is bad. Just more observations of silliness. To me, the weakest installment seemed to be #2, because I did not at that time know how far they were willing to stretch this idea. But since then it has grown. It's not just a series of movies. It's a weird, overbloated series that only comes on once a year. No beginnings, no endins, just a never ending serial on steroids. And, once you really get your brain around that idea, then... what better subject matter could you possibly have for such a thing than time traveling tornados full of sharks?

The ridiculous nature of the story, which really is just well beyond making any sense at all at this point.  Don't even try to apply any logic

When did tornadoes made of flying sharks ever make any sense? It's always been campy. Logic takes a back seat to the ridiculousness played for humor.

I can't quite put my finger on it but this one seems to have stepped up the game a bit. A bigger budget, maybe?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
On 8/12/2017 at 1:49 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

When did tornadoes made of flying sharks ever make any sense? It's always been campy. Logic takes a back seat to the ridiculousness played for humor.

I can't quite put my finger on it but this one seems to have stepped up the game a bit. A bigger budget, maybe?

Bigger budget plus an attempt at an actual end of the world storyline.    Most of the other storylines just involved Finn attempting to get to his family through a storm of sharks.  This one also involved some weird apocalypse....sharkalypse.