Type keyword(s) to search

I'm Sorry - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm so glad this is back, there's always a few LOL moments each episode.

BUT!!! I hate the daughter's speech impediment or whatever it is with the heat of a thousand suns.   Apparently, someone thinks it's a cute sound, because they cast kids with it all the time.  I just can't.

• Love 3

I missed her name in the opening credits and didn’t recognize Rose McIver until the final scene with her.

I remember the first time I noticed the over explaining of menus when you had never been to the restaurant, I was with my mother who was visiting SF and at the end of the crazy detailed schpeil I asked my Mom “when we said we had never been here before did she think we had never been to any restaurant before?”. I am not joking when I say that at the end of the meal she explained when bringing my mom’s credit card back to the table that the top copy of the signed receipt was for the restaurant and hers was the bottom. It is literally my least favorite of what is considered good customer service.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

BUT!!! I hate the daughter's speech impediment or whatever it is with the heat of a thousand suns.   Apparently, someone thinks it's a cute sound, because they cast kids with it all the time.  I just can't.

Not just me then? OK. I'd really like to know what the correct reaction to this is supposed to be if you're a parent and your child isn't pronouncing her "r's" correctly. Do you take her to a speech therapist? We've actually seen Andrea imitate her daughter's voice when quoting something she'd said but nobody is addressing the issue as though it were a problem. Perhaps it's something they've been told will correct itself so they're not supposed to draw any attention to it?

Loved Andrea's sex dream about the teacher and all the awkward conversations with her kid about sex. I'm guessing any parent can relate. I have no kids so I'm endlessly amused by stories about kids embarrassing their parents.

• Love 2

The whole bit with Andrea falling out of the bathroom stall with her romper around her ankles was hilarious. But seriously . . . she had only taken one hit off that vaping pen. How stoned could she have been? That must have been some powerful weed. 

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The whole bit with Andrea falling out of the bathroom stall with her romper around her ankles was hilarious. But seriously . . . she had only taken one hit off that vaping pen. How stoned could she have been? That must have been some powerful weed. 

It probably was pretty powerful but she specifically said it was because she was drinking in addition to the weed. I have definitely seen worse from some people with that cross interaction. She just got a little out of sorts which was all that’s necessary to make her fall.

The actress Casey Wilson, who is friends with Andrea, told a story about how when they were getting checked for lice she told her husband that if he didn’t have it that meant he was an uninvolved parent who didn’t spend enough time with his children, he did end up having it but that’s what I was thinking when Mike didn’t have it.

Edited by biakbiak

I was in a bathroom stall earlier and started laughing all over again about that gag. Everything was so perfect from the romper (which had foreshadowing!) to the pratfall to the look on the other woman's face. I was practically in tears.

In other news, June Diane Raphael is a national treasure.

• Love 3

My 11-year-old niece contracted lice—more than once—and my sister had to treat my niece, herself, my sister's boyfriend and the boyfriend's son (they don't all live together!). I told her I would just burn the house down.

It's true that the school doesn't tell you from whence the lice originated.

Edited by bilgistic
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

My 11-year-old niece contracted lice—more than once—and my sister had to treat my niece, herself, my sister's boyfriend and the boyfriend's son (they don't all live together!). I told her I would just burn the house down.

It's true that the school doesn't tell you from whence the lice originated.

Yeah, I was confused as to why that surprised Andrea. Do you know how much that would stigmatize the poor kid? Yikes!

Are lice just more intense than they used to be? I got 'em a couple times as a kid in the 80s and we just slapped on some Rid, combed it through, put my bedding and any hats in the wash and we were fine. Is there some new strain that's just harder to deal with? That's scary! That scares me like bedbugs.

I can't believe there are whole facilities to deal with it now. And you have to wear the gunk in your head overnight?

4 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

I can't believe there are whole facilities to deal with it now. And you have to wear the gunk in your head overnight?

No you just come it through but you have to get a second check. In the above mentioned Casey Wilson story her place had both a physical location and would make house calls to do the checks/cleaning the house. 

2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

No you just come it through but you have to get a second check. In the above mentioned Casey Wilson story her place had both a physical location and would make house calls to do the checks/cleaning the house. 

Good lord.

But then why were Andrea and the kid both seeming to have some sort of overnight treatment in their hair with those tight buns?

• Love 1

I thought tonight's episode was terrific, and I'm hoping we see Alison Tolman more often.  The friend scenes were wonderful, ditto the scenes between Andrea and Mike--it's nice when Andrea is just an almost regular human.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:53 PM, gesundheit said:

But then why were Andrea and the kid both seeming to have some sort of overnight treatment in their hair with those tight buns?

I keep meaning to ask my sister about this.  She was a volunteer lice-inspection mom in her kids' school (the very idea gives me the full-body vomits, so yay her), and I assume she's the repository of all knowledge about head lice.  If I remember this weekend, I'll do the lice report here.

• Love 1

Is there anything cuter than Andrea and Mike trying to role play? Although Mike's got a point that she turns everything into a "bit." I still say it would be exhausting to live with her, although he seems to be able to keep up and take it in stride. Maybe they're made for each other.

• Love 3

RE the lice issue: I was surprised their car didn't need to be cleaned. Andrea was sitting there with her head on the headrest behind her when she drove.

RE this week's episode: Andrea takes everything too far, and I agree she needs to stop being gross about her daughter's friends. I'm sure she thinks it's funny because it's absurd, like when she was being super-lewd at the coffee shop in a previous episode, but still-- there's a line, and I think elementary school kids is waaaay over it.

I loved it when her friend went after "Jeff" in the cooking class, even though that was also probably over the line-- but in a way I was able to enjoy.

Though, if you were having an affair, would you be texting with your lover in the middle of a class while standing right next to your spouse?

Andrea totally caving and being friendly to Scott was hilarious. She really does have trouble being serious, and I enjoyed seeing her face herself in the aftermath of her stunning politeness.

My landlord just put in smoke alarms that have voices yelling at you in addition to the blaring siren sounds. It really does up the level of alarm. Though ours don't sing, they shout.

I wasn't bothered by the remarks about the daughter's friends.  It's the kind of thing you say to your partner (when you trust your partner completely) that you'd never say to anyone else in the world, because you both know it's insane and you both know neither of you believes it.  But in the moment it's funny.  If my husband is secretly recording our conversations, I'm totally done for.  I don't think any pedophiles are going to use this show as permission to go molest little girls. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

don't think any pedophiles are going to use this show as permission to go molest little girls. 

That doesn’t matter to me, it’s the double standard. There would be outrage if this protagonist of the show were a man.

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

My landlord just put in smoke alarms that have voices yelling at you in addition to the blaring siren sounds. It really does up the level of alarm. Though ours don't sing, they shout.

My smoke/carbon dioxide detector says "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!" but so far only when I test it, knock wood. However, it has MANY times in the middle of the night—NEVER the daytime—scared the shit out of me and the cats by yelling, "LOW BATTERY!"

• LOL 2

I like this show, but I always get the impression that Andrea Savage thinks she's sexier than she is. 

My favorite part of this last episode was Jennifer telling the guy in the cooking class that his wife was sleeping with someone and that she was going to sleep with him.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, rmontro said:

like this show, but I always get the impression that Andrea Savage thinks she's sexier than she is. 

I am a straight woman but my boyfriend and me agree that Andrea is a smoke show.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

She is hot!

And I don't think she overestimates her attractiveness; I think she plays her "sexiness" for laughs, to the point that she's actually turning Mike (and others) off. 

Interesting comments.  I agree she's attractive, and obviously she keeps herself in great shape, but I still don't think she's as shot as she acts like she thinks she is.  But I never realized Seth McFarlane was considered a hottie either, until I read comments on message boards, so what do I know?  It's not like I'm saying she's ugly, I guess I find her behavior offputting.  Like Mike  🙂  To me, there's nothing more attractive than an attractive woman who shows some humility.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this relates to this topic or not, but this is how the show is described on my cable TV:

"A seemingly confident writer exposes her inner immaturity and neuroses in unexpected situations."

• Love 1

One thing I like about Andrea is that she's enjoying her own sexuality, not just enjoying other people enjoying it or enjoying the power it gives her in relation to others. She's not only an object, she's also a subject. That's a tough job for a female character on tv.

• Love 3
On 2/28/2019 at 4:52 PM, possibilities said:

RE the lice issue: I was surprised their car didn't need to be cleaned. Andrea was sitting there with her head on the headrest behind her when she drove.

I kept thinking about her giant padded headboard. You can’t wash it and they are always sitting against it when talking in bed. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I found the continued escalation of the fake relationship with the teacher to be over the top for even Andrea who is often over the top.

I also didn’t like she just didn’t tell the baby sitter that they liked to use the correct terms when talking to Amelia about her body. It’s not as if trying to find a different babysitter was paid for laughs so it was just a ridiculous reaction to someone spending a few hours with your kid, especially since the last one who was apparently a regular forgot to feed her.

I typically like her character and often sympathize with her even when I don’t agree with her actions/humor but o actively disliked her for most of the ep including the last scene with blaming the annoying neighbors.

Edited by biakbiak

I like that she calls him "Ted" even though she doesn't really know his first name. But I agree it was a little disturbing how he played along in the joke. Inappropriate. 

Sending a sexually suggestive e-mail, text or photo to the wrong person is a pretty unoriginal idea, too. 

I think the thing with the baby sitter was mostly just played for laughs. I've never heard of anyone using the nickname "front tushy" before, and they took it as a sign there was something not-quite-right with that girl, as would I. They must have figured they could just find someone else, and when they couldn't they decided they could live with it. 

I loved how awesome Mr. Castellotti was about the inappropriate email. I was not expecting him to be so cool about it. I didn't think Andrea needed to turn into herself at the end of the convo with her "put ya dick away" she was actually in the school at the time and it was time to let it be by that point, it's like she didn't learn her lesson that this was a step too far. But the way he dealt with it was cool enough that they'll move past it instead of it being super awkward for the rest of the year while Amelia is in his class. And I took it as him coming to that decision after some thought, like this was the best way to turn it into a non-issue, because he never replied to her apology email and spoke to her after a weekend had passed.

I've definitely felt Andrea's escalation of the joke was a lot, but none more so than when she shared it with the other parents so that they knew and it's become some parent joke at the school. And now even her mom knows? Like, it's a lot on so many levels, so it becomes too much for me. But I hope that this de-escalates everything about the teacher and we don't have to hear the jokes about him or his mustache anymore.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I found the continued escalation of the fake relationship with the teacher to be over the top for even Andrea who is often over the top.

I kept thinking "Really?  This subplot is still part of the storyline?".  I would have expected that to be dead with the last episode.

1 hour ago, JasmineFlower said:

I didn't think Andrea needed to turn into herself at the end of the convo with her "put ya dick away" she was actually in the school at the time and it was time to let it be by that point,

I see this as another example that Andrea is just too into her own sexuality.

• Love 1

In reading some of these comments, I keep thinking that if a man had this part, he wouldn't receive any of this criticism. An entire genre is based on men being "too much". God forbid a woman be funny and think herself sexy. Does she think she's Jerry Seinfeld, Tim Allen, Jim Belushi, Louis C.K., Aziz Ansari, Dane Cook, Daniel Tosh, etc., etc., etc.? Give me a goddamn break.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I like that she calls him "Ted" even though she doesn't really know his first name. But I agree it was a little disturbing how he played along in the joke. Inappropriate. 

Sending a sexually suggestive e-mail, text or photo to the wrong person is a pretty unoriginal idea, too. 

I think the thing with the baby sitter was mostly just played for laughs. I've never heard of anyone using the nickname "front tushy" before, and they took it as a sign there was something not-quite-right with that girl, as would I. They must have figured they could just find someone else, and when they couldn't they decided they could live with it. 

I've heard it called a front butt before and front tushy is kind of like that but less vulgar.

(edited)
4 hours ago, bilgistic said:

In reading some of these comments, I keep thinking that if a man had this part, he wouldn't receive any of this criticism. An entire genre is based on men being "too much". God forbid a woman be funny and think herself sexy. Does she think she's Jerry Seinfeld, Tim Allen, Jim Belushi, Louis C.K., Aziz Ansari, Dane Cook, Daniel Tosh, etc., etc., etc.? Give me a goddamn break.

My issue with this specific episode is that it wasn’t funny and it wasn’t really grounded in the (hyper)reality of the show. The reason I love the show is because even if it’s heightened and over the top I usually find it fairly realistic and that wasn’t the case for the long extended bit about the teacher and most of all I didn’t find it funny.

To me this episode felt like a first draft from the unfunny dead kid joke (I have no problem with making a dead kid joke it just should be funny) or even little details like you no longer need a medical marijuana card to get weed in California. Or how her mom found out about the sex dream, it doesn’t seem like something Mike would tell her and she doesn’t hang out with any of Amelia’s friends parents. I suppose she could have told her brother but it again just seemed poorly written.

Edited by biakbiak
(edited)

I liked that the teacher played along. It defused the situation and it was surprising, since he seems to buttoned up all the time. There's a tendency for things to blow up and become bigger deals than they need to be and he and Andrea both managed to take responsibility for not letting that happen. I would not have liked it if Andrea hadn't apologized, and it was kind of a risky strategy for him. If she had not reacted well, it could have been very messy. But the fact that it turned out okay made me like both of them more.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 6
On 3/8/2019 at 1:22 PM, bilgistic said:

In reading some of these comments, I keep thinking that if a man had this part, he wouldn't receive any of this criticism. An entire genre is based on men being "too much". God forbid a woman be funny and think herself sexy.  Does she think she's Jerry Seinfeld, Tim Allen, Jim Belushi, Louis C.K., Aziz Ansari, Dane Cook, Daniel Tosh, etc., etc., etc.? Give me a goddamn break.

Believe me, if it was a guy talking about how sexy he was all the time, I would get tired of it just as quickly, probably quicker.  I don't recall any of those male comedians you mentioned spending copious amounts of time demonstrating how hot they think they are.

Let me reiterate though, I like the show, I like Andrea, I just find this aspect of it distracting.

• Love 1
On 3/8/2019 at 5:11 PM, biakbiak said:

My issue with this specific episode is that it wasn’t funny and it wasn’t really grounded in the (hyper)reality of the show. The reason I love the show is because even if it’s heightened and over the top I usually find it fairly realistic and that wasn’t the case for the long extended bit about the teacher and most of all I didn’t find it funny.

To me this episode felt like a first draft from the unfunny dead kid joke (I have no problem with making a dead kid joke it just should be funny) or even little details like you no longer need a medical marijuana card to get weed in California. Or how her mom found out about the sex dream, it doesn’t seem like something Mike would tell her and she doesn’t hang out with any of Amelia’s friends parents. I suppose she could have told her brother but it again just seemed poorly written.

I can EASILY see Andrea telling her mother.  She tells her everything else so why not this? 

I like Andrea.  I think she's funny.  Is it often cringe-worthy because she takes it too far?  Yes, but to me in a very funny way.  Because she realizes she's doing it but it seems like once she gets started she just needs to keep going and often times regrets it afterwards.  As far as her "thinking she's sexy"- it's mostly with Mike.  Her husband.  Who SHOULD be attracted to her.  But, again, Andrea mostly pushes it past sexy on purpose because she doesn't really think she IS all that sexy. That's how I see it.  Yes, she shows off her belly, but I would too if I had one like that!!! 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

can EASILY see Andrea telling her mother.  She tells her everything else so why not this? 

I could see her telling her but she was surprised that her mother knew.

33 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I could see her telling her but she was surprised that her mother knew.

I guess I missed that part.  When her mom was talking about it, I just assumed Andrea told her.  

I know longer have the recording but the look she gives her and her response to her mom talking about it is one of surprise and she definitely wasn’t happy that her mother brought it up or at least that’s how it read to me and the people I was watching with which goes back to the fact that I don’t think this was a well written episode.

I believe her mom says “from what I’ve heard...” which would be a weird phrasing if Andrea told her.

Edited by biakbiak

I enjoyed this episode much more!

Andrea’s hatred of Mike’s Santa Barbara tank top never got old to me but I adored the fact that it was a bit!!!

Have we seen their backyard before? I love it! The exteriors on this show make me happy.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I enjoyed this episode much more!

Andrea’s hatred of Mike’s Santa Barbara tank top never got old to me but I adored the fact that it was a bit!!!

Have we seen their backyard before? I love it! The exteriors on this show make me happy.

I'm so sad that was the season finale! But damn, yes, that backyard was enviable. And I love that the conclusion of a season-long arc let Mike get one up on Andrea in a long con-- and she loved it.

• Love 3

That was a great ending. It showed that Mike is just as capable of pulling something off without her knowing it and that she appreciates it rather than resents it. I never really understood her problem with the tank tops. Maybe they're not for everyone but it's not all that weird. To find out he planned this all along and gave her the big old middle finger in the video was hilarious. 

I also thought it was sweet, in Andrea's own twisted way, that she admitted she loved her Mom more than she thought she did when she started to think about her dying. 

It was weird that Amelia was absent but I didn't exactly miss her.

• Love 2

That was the season finale?  Wow, that went fast.  I could have used a few more episodes, maybe round it out to 16.  Oh well, I'm sure there will be other things for me to waste my time watching.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:35 AM, Whimsy said:

As far as her "thinking she's sexy"- it's mostly with Mike.  Her husband.  Who SHOULD be attracted to her.  But, again, Andrea mostly pushes it past sexy on purpose because she doesn't really think she IS all that sexy.

I guess I was the one who brought this up, so let me make this clear:  It's not that I think the character thinks she sexy, I get the impression the actress thinks she's sexy, because of the acting choices she makes (all the little shimmying she does and such), and the situations and dialogue she writes into the show.  She created the show, and presumably is one of the main writers.  That said, I guess she is actually pretty hot, so I'm ready to let it drop.

27 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

That was a great ending. It showed that Mike is just as capable of pulling something off without her knowing it and that she appreciates it rather than resents it. I never really understood her problem with the tank tops.

I don't get her problem with tank tops either, I guess we all have our little idiosyncracies.  I don't like to see men's bare feet in sandals.  I've heard of people objecting to tank tops around food before, but that's about it.

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

It might be irrational but I share Andrea’s hatred of men in tank tops. Particularly that kind of loose armed one.

If I could like this a thousand times,  I would. Tank tops on men just bug me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It might be irrational but I share Andrea’s hatred of men in tank tops. Particularly that kind of loose armed one.

Same. I once put the kabash on a booty call because the guy showed up in a purple tank top. It was 20 years ago and I can still picture that ugly thing. So yeah, tank tops on men can be real lady-boner killers!

On topic! This was a great episode to end out the season. The tank top joke reveal was hilarious, and Andrea’s reaction was perfect!

I LOVED that blue dress A wore to the funeral. Damn that’s inspiring me to get back the gym!

Edited by Duke2801
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5