Type keyword(s) to search

Family Guy - General Discussion

ari333
  • Start Topic

I honestly love the image of Sam Elliot and Tom Selleck in a mustache themed hippy band. So of course they're rivals. That was not Tom Selleck voicing himself, sadly.

Of course Peter's idea of NYC is the M&Ms store and the ESPN Zone.

"A Stache From the Past". When Peter loses the family home in a reverse mortgage, he confronts the man advertising the scheme, Tom Selleck. Meanwhile, Stewie and Brian open a booth at the flea market, leading to a rivalry with Bruce.

*Yawn* Did someone Seth knew recently get scammed by a reverse mortgage?

Edited by Gharlane
Formatting

Didn't last year's Hallowe'en episode get preempted in many markets for some reason? Maybe that's why they're considering this repeat a "new" episode or something. 

As for last week's ep, I didn't realize Tom was hawking those Reverse mortgages. As a Canadian, we only get a retired ice skater hawking them, and we simulcast over most of the US networks so we don't see as many of the US commercials any more. Still, it was a cute episode overall I found. 

4 hours ago, Taeolas said:

As for last week's ep, I didn't realize Tom was hawking those Reverse mortgages. As a Canadian, we only get a retired ice skater hawking them, and we simulcast over most of the US networks so we don't see as many of the US commercials any more. Still, it was a cute episode overall I found. 

Oh my gosh! 😲

There was a lot of discussion about it in the Commercials Forum.

I really liked the designs of the old people. It's true, old ladies are 70% pocket candy. I liked that there was this grand scheme to steal Peter and Lois's organs, and that Joe was in on it. Wasn't expecting Cleveland's legs to be so muscular.

Man, wasn't expecting to hear a snippet of "The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald." It's notoriously hard to clear.

Heard James Hong and Henry Winkler amongst the old people. I like hearing them in things.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Heard James Hong and Henry Winkler amongst the old people. I like hearing them in things.

I knew Hong’s voice right away, but I’m ashamed I didn’t recognize Winkler.

Between the organ-snatching old people and Stevie and Brian being traumatized by showers, this was fun.

• Like 2

Brian's terror over the shower was hilarious. I only had a shower stall for my older dog, and I totally had to get in for it. I have two tubs now for my current dog, and she's just not participating. 

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Wasn't expecting Cleveland's legs to be so muscular.

They did an episode about the postman's legs being jacked a while ago. It's a great callback.

• Like 3

"Old World Harm". Peter and Lois inadvertently rent a condo in a retirement community for their Florida vacation; Brian helps Stewie take his first shower.

Peter hitting that woman's butt like a pinata made me laugh.

• Like 4

It was just a throwaway gag in the episode, but it got a whole article in the NY Post, following up on an original whole article about it, because reportedly Harry and especially Meghan are upset about the "Here is your millions from Netflix for God knows what" joke. I put reportedly in italics because The Post plays fast and loose with facts with this kind of stuff.

Not sure what prompted Seth to fire this shot at them. It was pretty random, even for this show.

Edited by Dr Spengler

I liked the absurdity of Stewie putting a minifridge in his room turns it into a college dorm room, with French-Canadian roommate. And then his party turned into the ending of The Shining for some reason.

I liked the absurdity of Danny DeVito wishing himself taller from a magic mosquito.

I always like how people in the water on cartoons never move and just sit there. 

The commercial I saw for The Floor looked like it could have been a Family Guy cutaway. 

On 11/12/2023 at 8:13 PM, cdnalor said:

Very unlikely that Guy from Québec would put up a Canadian flag on his side of the room.  It would be the Québec fleur-de-lys.

I'm surprised the show missed that. Unless they made a script change and it was too late to change the animation. 

"Baby, It's Cold Inside". Peter feels emasculated when he abandons Lois in the midst of a shark attack on their anniversary; Stewie finds a mini fridge and lives the dorm lifestyle.

I missed this one last week because I was out of town without TV, or cable, for that matter. I was amused at Stewie's observation that things in the fridge were either tepid or frozen yet leaving the door cracked open caused the room to freeze over.

Stewie has another half-brother out there, and he was a Boston Townie. It was weird seeing Stewie revert back to early series Evil Stewie. 

Hell, this whole episode seemed to be a throwback to the early years. There were a ton of cutaways (my favorite being the one with Timothee Chalamet flying away in the wind in Dune)

• Like 2

"Boston Stewie". Stewie tries to civilize his half-brother, Boston Stewie, so that he may be adopted. Meanwhile, Meg and Chris start a venture in which people online pay Chris to sit on and smash cupcakes.

I quit watching this one after getting it wrong about Texas twice.

Wow, I got my period or got a miscarriage. Then the jack-in-the-box joke. All within 3 minutes. You don't get a Meg + Chris plot much. 

I'd say the Unabomber is more associated with Berkeley. Ahem. 

I'm impressed Seth did Boston Stewie. Not that I didn't think he could do it. I figured they would have gone for a Boston comedian friend. 

Caldor is a deep cut. 

That jet joke was way in there too. 

22 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm impressed Seth did Boston Stewie. Not that I didn't think he could do it. I figured they would have gone for a Boston comedian friend. 

That was Seth as Boston Stewie?! I couldn't even tell! I was wondering which Boston comedian they got for him!

22 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Caldor is a deep cut. 

Oh yeah, I needed stitches for that one.

• Like 2
On 10/23/2023 at 8:23 AM, Gharlane said:

"A Stache From the Past". When Peter loses the family home in a reverse mortgage, he confronts the man advertising the scheme, Tom Selleck. Meanwhile, Stewie and Brian open a booth at the flea market, leading to a rivalry with Bruce.

Well, Lois, I'm off to New York.  I can't wait to run up the Twin Towers just like Homer Simpson did.

Peter, for once, you can't take a dump after watching Homer do it first.

Dang it!!!   I knew we should have recycled that joke a lot earlier.

On 11/22/2023 at 10:49 AM, M. Darcy said:

No more Sunday nights!   FG is moving to Wednesdays in March. 

no No NO!!!!!    I need the magical coat-tails!!!!!!    My show will be canceled in less than a year without the magical coat-tails!!!!!!!!

Edited by Twilight Man

"I'm Cleveland Brown, and I know my show was better than this." At this point, probably.

Once again an episode about how Lois is the boring one of the family, while Peter is the one that gets into whatever shenanigans caught his eye this week. I caught Michaela Dietz (Amethyst from Steven Universe!) as Peter's babysitter.

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, Galileo908 said:

Once again an episode about how Lois is the boring one of the family, while Peter is the one that gets into whatever shenanigans caught his eye this week.

Felt kind of OOC, since we all know Lois has a psychotic streak a mile wide. Still, it was kind of nice for her and Meg to have an adventure together, and for Lois to be the loving mother she was pre-cancellation.

Yeah, even The Cleveland Show had better episodes.

• Like 2

Ugh, I wish I could skip right to the quiz. You have to watch the video. 

How often is there a Meg/Lois plot? And no Peter. I'm not sure $10K goes that far at a vacation resort. 

I liked how the therapist had a high chair and a dog bed. 

• Like 3

"Snap(ple) Decision". Lois wins a Snapple contest and uses her winnings to take Meg on a tropical vacation, where they flaunt their wealth and get kidnapped. Meanwhile, Stewie and Brian undergo friendship therapy.

I had to agree with Cleveland Brown.

Kelly Clarkson's show is funny with women who clap when the plane lands. Makes sense.

Gotta love episodes where Meg abuse is integral to the plot. Her tears make cookies taste delicious, until she couldn't cry because her life was actually good.

Peter's talk show was something out of PTV back in the day. But yeah, they're spot on about guys running out of stuff to talk about after twenty minutes. Even sports.

• Like 2

It so figures that after an episode where Meg actually has a nice bonding episode with Lois, she’s right back to being the show’s punching bag again.

I almost couldn’t believe it when the shrink actually called out Brian, Stewie, and Chris for exploiting her misery for profit…so of course p the shrink turned out to a plant from Mrs. Fields to sabatoge their business.

• Like 2

And a second week of Meg. Amazing. Rough go not getting into URI though. 

Getting Meg to cry was a great gag. I can cry without too much difficulty. 

The second drawer was the dealbreaker for Lois. 

I think the premise of 'no daytime talk shows for men' was really funny because in the 70s, you had Phil Donahue and Merv Griffin all over the airwaves, and then Morton Downey, Jr., in the late 80s/90s. 

Phil Donahue is still alive. 

• Like 3

"Baking Sad". Meg discovers her tears produce delicious cookies, and she, along with her siblings, enjoy a profit until the success makes her too happy to cry. Meanwhile, Peter and the guys launch a "male talk show".

This one was OK, but I had a strange sense of deja vu while watching it. This wasn't a repeat, right?

14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I almost couldn’t believe it when the shrink actually called out Brian, Stewie, and Chris for exploiting her misery for profit…

What surprised me is that they actually cared that they were exploiting her and about her well being.  Well, except Stewie, I guess.

I certainly like my streaming services, but I find it ironic that we're watching the show live on Fox.

I actually don't have a tv. I take my hdmi and plug it into the tivo and watch through my monitor. It's 27", which is also ironic, because in the 70s, a 27" tv was super fancy but massive and mine fits on my desk. 

Road couch. 

Big Wonder was a deep cut. 

The Librarian was in crowd! I miss her. 

Adding to the list of sitcoms where someone shows up and they have to take care of them forever:

Family Affair, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, The Jeffersons, The Flying Nun, Gomer Pyle, The Brady Bunch, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Mister Ed, Mork and Mindy, My Favorite Martian, WKRP in Cincinnati, My Mother the Car, Golden Girls, Chico and the Man, and Welcome Back Kotter.

Apologies if i accidentally repeated any of the ones Peter mentioned.

"The Return of the King (of Queens)". Lois sells the Griffins' TV to pay for Christmas presents, but Kevin James appears in the house when he gets upset over losing Peter as a viewer.

An interesting episode.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Definitely not him.

Also, this was the last episode to air on Sundays. The show returns Wednesday March 6th.

That long? Geez.

I did like them listing off all the sitcoms that ever involved a houseguest turned resident. Pretty much every one ever.

Edited by Spartan Girl

I'll take it, but there wasn't anything inherently Christmas about the episode.

In other words, if you took all the Christmas references out of it, the Kevin James plot could have stood on its own. 

Back in my day, Lois climbed Christmas trees in the town square like a red-headed King Kong and Santa was referred to as "Klaus".  Now, that was A Very Special Family Guy Freakin' Christmas.

And not fer nothin', but the Griffins have had people move in with them before.

Still enjoyed it though. It was a good appetizer for my annual Rudolph, Frosty, Charlie Brown, and Santa Claus is Coming to Town screenings.

• Like 1
On 12/18/2023 at 11:31 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

Why is Fox so ride or die with Krapopolis? Is it that good? I can't imagine Family Guy isn't pulling in steady ratings for the last 20 years to move it.

Because they ordered three seasons sight unseen. And it's actually pretty decent!

• Like 1

And now the show is back.

I liked the swipes at Bob's Burgers. Yep, Bob's got the old 9pm time slot, and Family Guy got punted to 9:30 on a Wednesday.

"It looks like a Stephen King novel before anything bad happens" perfectly describes Maine vacation towns. I liked that Quagmire was the one that was really anal about sticking to an itinerary. And I had a feeling that it would miss the Bear Show, but the very last one? Yeah, I'd be hurt, too.

It was weird hearing Patton Oswalt voice a character that looked nothing like him. I mean, he's had plenty of voice over roles, but by design you could tell he voiced them. The Bear Show guy was too generic looking to me.

Can't believe we missed out on a Brian and Stewie adventure! The whole thing turned out to be a heart attack dream, anyway.

• Like 1

Great Bob Belcher cameo and Angry Moose montage. I'm disappointed it was a dream, but I liked that everyone was involved. I suppose it's good they all didn't hear what Peter really thought about them. 

15 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Because they ordered three seasons sight unseen. And it's actually pretty decent!

That's their fault then. So move it to Thursday and leave Family Guy in its usual spot. 

Pam & Tommy...Lee Jones was a great cutaway.

So Lois disguises herself to be a substitute teacher at the high school, and everyone is convinced that Chris is having sex with her. Even though they're not, so how much incest has Chris taken part in by now?