Type keyword(s) to search

Let's try to market this: media, articles and interviews

caracas1914

(edited)

Apropos of shantown's  post in the Fandoms thread

A discussion in the Media thread got me thinking - people who weren't part of the overall Glee fandom in the first three seasons have no idea what true fandom insanity was really like. I think about following along with the behind-the-scenes gossip and friendships and videos from the concert tours on message boards and tumblr, and how the cast used to interact on Twitter. It really is such a different show now, not just onscreen but off as well.

This is one of my favourite candid cast videos, it's a bit dark. This was taken during the 2010 tour, after the show or in-between shows idk, at KazBar in Scottsdale, and Amber, Chris, Dianna and Kevin,Mark and Jenna come on the stage dancing and singing with the band.

Ah the nostalgia (and my Ambien is finally kicking in)

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2974079/Lea-Michele-ups-glamour-plunging-black-jumpsuit-attends-Family-Equality-event.html

Pictures of Lea and Becca at the Family Equality Council shindig.

Love Lea's jumpsuit, not a fan of the hair. I was reading the comments on an article about Lea recently and someone described her as looking like a mob bosses daughter, and I can't unsee it.

Becca looked stunning, love her style. I saw pictures of Jenna on Instagram, she looked gorgeous.

Love Lea's jumpsuit, not a fan of the hair.

Yeah I love that jumpsuit. Lord knows she can pull it off. It's the makeup I'm not feeling. Especially the eye make up. The hair I wouldn't mind with a different outfit and different makeup. 

(edited)

Becca too much forehead it ages her, thought she was Julie Bowman for a second. Chord was a lite sloppy and Darren was wrinkled.

But overall everyone looked nice.

Edited by tom87
(edited)

I see. I think that "ironic" was probably a bad word choice, but I didn't read mercfan3's comment as deliberately throwing shade. I also don't feel like reading another long, snarky debate about word choice.

lol...

Love Lea's jumpsuit, not a fan of the hair.

Saw the pictures and thought the same thing. I don't know what is but Lea just hasn't been hitting it for me fashion wise in a minute. It's like the dress might be okay or the makeup is gorgeous or the hair but they're never amazing together. She definitely looked a lot better than she did at the Golden Globes after parties with that horrible red dress but I definitely noticed the bangs immediately and wondered why they weren't trimmed. Unless that is the look she was going for, to have them practically in her eyes. 

Oh and so as to not be accused of just nitpicking women, I hated Darren's look because I never like the white suit jacket look on a guy. Sorry, it just always makes me think "waiter..." I also didn't love the hair. I'm sure he's thrilled to be rid of the constant overload of gel but his hair looked like it was doused in a bucket of water. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I remember reading how the Original cast of "Spring Awakening", including Lea , Jonathan Groff, and Skylar Astin are pretty tight and have SA reunions 7/8 years after the fact when they

all started. It's so cool that those 3 (and the

actress who played Nurse Penny, Phoebe Strol)

all reappeared on Glee and have found career

success after SA. Add John Gallagher who was

in "The Newsroom".

Matt is super close to the original " Hairspray" cast too. He's actually the godfather to Marissa Jaret Winokur's son.

(edited)

Chord's outfit looked hideous and Darren was serving drinks.

So agreed Harry would look good in a neon lime suit or in anything.

Preferably in less with abs showing...

I'm sorry , what were we talking about?

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

It's certainly not uncommon for at least some members of a cast (and crew) to stay in touch after a project, without being BFFs with everyone. Although in some instances people cannot stand each other once the play or shoot lets out.

This closeness is probably more likely on a production which was for most of them their first Big Break and a popular success, as Glee was for the younger cast ; it's the type of rare shared experience that creates connections. Same with people who studied together, as the U. of Michigan crowd, and worked on all the plays, music and shows they had to put on through school. It creates loyalty, sometimes to a fault (as with DC and his Starkids pals).

At first glance I though Beccas's dress was put together by gluing various pieces of discarded film stock on it. She and the rest did look good though, despite some of the faux-pas already mentioned, and most of all happy to perform together in front of a real crowd.

(edited)

Jenna looks fantastic.  I like's Lea's jumpsuit but the bangs and heavy heavy make-up made her look a bit "Married to the Mob."  Darren surprised me because he is usually tailored to perfection on the red carpet and this time he wasn't,  His suit was ill fitting.  Chord would have been great if he wore a solid color shirt instead of a checked one.  Alex and Harry also looked fantastic.  

Edited by camussie
(edited)
Florinaldo:
It creates loyalty, sometimes to a fault (as with DC and his Starkids pals).

See I don't get this, if you have friends/pals/colleagues you bond with them, it's not a freaking career focus 24/7 in your life.   God knows I don't think much of Starkids productions but I think it's perfectly fine that Darren is loyal and gets together in projects with them even now.

It's not like he's turning down Martin Scorsese' film roles in order to do a fucking Starkids sing-a-long.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

I think that during Glee and now afterwards, DC has moved beyond the Starkid company's amateur level, which their recent productions have been steadfastly stuck in.

There certainly is no harm done by him getting around with them for some one-off performances, but his possible extended involvement with future Starkid productions, which he still mentions as a goal from time to time, would be a step backwards in my view; plus, I see the frequent promotion of some of their disputable output (like that awful song "You Just want My Money") as a sign that judgement can be clouded by the blinders of friendship in some instances.

(edited)

See I don't get this, if you have friends/pals/colleagues you bond with them, it's not a freaking career focus 24/7 in your life.   God knows I don't think much of Starkids productions but I think it's perfectly fine that Darren is loyal and gets together in projects with them even now.

It's not like he's turning down Martin Scorsese' film roles in order to do a fucking Starkids sing-a-long.

There are some Darren stans who, because they believe he's destined for greatness (which is totally fine in itself), are convinced that further association with his UMich buddies, Starkid, Theo and the like will only hold him back and hurt his career - despite lack of any evidence, the man's career is better than ever. I've seen some rationalise that Darren still doing stuff with his UMich peeps is because "he just can't say no". It's because they know what's best for Darren better than the man himself, even when they don't actually know him or have been part of his college life and witnessed the bonds that he may have forged with his friends there.

Edited by fakeempress

Not everything is a business decision. Sometimes people do stuff simply because they find it fun.

Quite; as I indicated getting together with friends or people they get along with for some performances or projects is certainly to be expected (like yesterday evening). But once you attain a certain status in a business or a profession, you have to be careful in your more formal professional choices even if you have not reached the highest rungs and never will. I just don't think that the Starkid productions qualify.

It's not a question of alleged dreams of "greatness" for him or any of the Glee cast for that matter, just taking what I consider to be a pragmatic outlook as to the mechanics of any profession or business, especially in cases where status and reputation can be a very evanescent and fragile commodity.

Yet, he doesn't seem to give even a single fuck, imagine that.

Tell me about it.  I mean, Even now, Darren still does paying Wedding singer gigs where he trots his keyboard out  and plays cheezy love songs, somehow I don't think Darren gives a rat's ass how professionally per his "status" that looks.  ;)

• Love 1
(edited)

I would say that at some early point in his career he and Starkids were a perfect fit, but I think he has outgrown that period. If he eventually achieves his stated goal of one day bringing one of their past productions to Broadway, I will be the first one to admit that this was not an unrealistic expectation.

If you want a lasting career in any business, it is risky to disregard issues such as status and reputation. Especially a business in which your main commodity is yourself.

From some of his statements and moves, it's clear he considers seriously the business aspects of his profession and future and does not simply "give a fuck".

Edited by Florinaldo
(edited)

IDK look at Jennifer " everybodies bff" Lawrence. She is a critically acclaimed Oscar winning actress who still can happly talk about bodily functions on talk shows and other behaviours seemingly unbecoming of her status. Chris Pratt too who's media sound bites following his lead role in a huge box office hit included his history of smoking weed and bumming around.

The public values celebrities who are " one of them" and doesn't take them selves too seriously.

Edited by Pink ranger
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yea, DC doesn't care, seems to proud of what he did with UMich, seems to think the world of the people he went to school with, and wants to continue working with them. I don't see how that could be construed as anything but positive. But fans will be fans, I guess. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yea, DC doesn't care, seems to proud of what he did with UMich, seems to think the world of the people he went to school with, and wants to continue working with them. I don't see how that could be construed as anything as positive. But fans will be fans, I guess. 

I think it also speaks to his integrity, which is a good foundation for earning respect, good reputation and status in any professional community.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

I think it also speaks to his integrity, which is a good foundation for earning respect, good reputation and status in any professional community.

Right. It's a trait of Darren's that I really like. He's also made himself into a "celebrity" that is approachable, and this adds to that. 

(edited)

I have to say when it comes to the media/interviews most of the Glee cast have been professional and approachable overall. Lea, Chris, Kevin, Amber, Jenna , Harry, etc for the most part have engaged social media, meet'n greet, during their time on Glee. Heather has been the most hands off social media, but this year she finally got Twitter.

It's pretty amazing how few faux paus they've hade through the years, the whole graduation gate was more due to Ryan Murphy.

Edited by caracas1914

Ryan Murphy's speech last weekend at the FEC awards dinner. 

Nice speech, but some creative licence-taking there.

Didn't the Pilot script have zero gay characters, and Kurt was created after Chris walked into the audition room?

And didn't they write Santana as straight until Naya and Heather started sneaking in some innuendos, and the Brittana fans started getting vocal about it? 

• Love 1

Didn't the Pilot script have zero gay characters, and Kurt was created after Chris walked into the audition room?

And didn't they write Santana as straight until Naya and Heather started sneaking in some innuendos, and the Brittana fans started getting vocal about it? 

Everything you are saying is true but lets not facts interrupt a nice speech, lol. 

• Love 2

Yeah... Ryan was getting very creative with his facts there. Surprised he didn't break his arm patting himself on the back.

• Love 1
(edited)

Why do these organisations honour Glee or Murphy? Do they watch this show? He basically says it's only okay to be gay if you can pass for being straight.

I laugh when people praise Glee's diversity. They sidelined racial minorities. Apart from Chris playing Kurt their gay and lesbian characters were played by straight people, trans characters were played by cis people, the only regular disabled character played by an able bodied person. Very diverse.

Edited by jtrattray

Not completely. They wrote "sex isn't dating" as a joke because Naya and Heather were super close off and on set.  They had already filmed the Front 13 before there was really a chance for fan reaction. Brittana fans started getting really vocal after Duets but before Sexy.

(edited)

Not sure we knew if anyone was gay or not in the pilot.   Rajeesh who was  cut could have been gay.      

Edited by tom87

Not sure we knew if anyone was gay or not in the pilot.   Rajeesh who was  cut could have been gay.      

From the scripts that were put out, Rajeesh was slated to be Mercedes love interest. So I doubt he was gay. 

From the scripts that were put out, Rajeesh was slated to be Mercedes love interest. So I doubt he was gay. 

Well they had Kurt  her love interest too at least in Mercedes mind.    I just think Ryan had plans for a gay character even if they were not specified in the pilot.

(edited)

Well they had Kurt  her love interest too at least in Mercedes mind.    I just think Ryan had plans for a gay character even if they were not specified in the pilot.

One of RIB (I think it was Ryan but have to spend time to find exactly when and where, probably at Paley or Inside the Actors's Studio, I'll check) said something like, what were we thinking not having a gay character in a show about show choir, when they talked how Chris inspired them for Kurt. It didn't sound like they had the gay kid plan before. The same with Santana, the plan came in the course of the show's production, and not at the concept stage as Ryan suggests in his speech - at least the way I take it. 

Edited by fakeempress

Well then technically still when they reworked the pilot they added Chris so  of all the things Ryan has done this little exaggeration of the facts is minor.

Well then technically still when they reworked the pilot they added Chris so  of all the things Ryan has done this little exaggeration of the facts is minor.

I don't think people are making a big deal about it, at least I'm not, we are just pointing out some inconsistency in his speech, nothing more.

• Love 1
(edited)

He didn't start with the concept to make the public understand and empathise with LBGT+ people, unlike he suggested in the speech, that's all. Sure they reworked stuff around the actors, which often happens in TV when producers get inspired by their actors; and concepts get tweaked or changed. Same thing happened on Veronica Mars; they reworked a character who was much less important in concept, and even in the pilot (Logan Echolls), when they got inspired by the rapport they saw between Jason and Kristen Bell, which also made them later discard their "soulmate" couple. They also hugely beefed up the role of Dick when they liked how Ryan Hansen was doing. Various shows producers have talked about this kind of development, and it's how you get the so-called  breakout characters from among the supports.  

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

He didn't start with the concept to make the public understand and empathise with LBGT+ people, unlike he suggested in the speech, that's all. Sure they reworked stuff around the actors, which often happens in TV when producers get inspired by their actors; and concepts get tweaked or changed. Same thing happened on Veronica Mars; they reworked a character who was much less important in concept, and even in the pilot (Logan Echolls), when they got inspired by the rapport they saw between Jason and Kristen Bell, which also made them later discard their concept "soulmate" couple. They also hugely beefed up the role of Dick when they liked how Ryan Hansen was doing. Various shows producers have talked about this kind of development, and it's how you get the so-called breakout characters from among the supports.

Oz was suppose to die in season 2 of Buffy, and IIRC they never wanted to write him out in season 4, but Seth Green got a big movie role. Happens all the time, but good writers admit when something else influences them. Like Dawsons Creek was suppose to end with Dawson and Joey together but Kevin Williamson realised it just wouldn't work so he changed it.

Ryan Murphy seems to think he and Glee are responsible for the end of homophobia which is awful in so many ways.

ETA: the end of homophobia isn't awful. That Ryan Murphy think it's gone and that he ended it is.

Edited by jtrattray
  • Love 1

He didn't start with the concept to make the public understand and empathise with LBGT+ people, unlike he suggested in the speech, that's all. Sure they reworked stuff around the actors, which often happens in TV when producers get inspired by their actors; and concepts get tweaked or changed. Same thing happened on Veronica Mars; they reworked a character who was much less important in concept, and even in the pilot (Logan Echolls), when they got inspired by the rapport they saw between Jason and Kristen Bell, which also made them later discard their concept "soulmate" couple. They also hugely beefed up the role of Dick when they liked how Ryan Hansen was doing. Various shows producers have talked about this kind of development, and it's how you get the so-called  breakout characters from among the supports.  

That happened with Daryl over at The Walking Dead. He was only suppose to be a short-term character but the writers/producers loved his character so much that they kept him and now he is one of the most beloved characters in the fandom.

(edited)

Oz was suppose to die in season 2 of Buffy, and IIRC they never wanted to write him out in season 4, but Seth Green got a big movie role. Happens all the time, but good writers admit when something else influences them. Like Dawsons Creek was suppose to end with Dawson and Joey together but Kevin Williamson realised it just wouldn't work so he changed it.

Ryan Murphy seems to think he and Glee are responsible for the end of homophobia which is awful in so many ways.

ETA: the end of homophobia isn't awful. That Ryan Murphy think it's gone and that he ended it is.

Glee did a lot for prime time visibility of LGBT+ kids and for making people empathise with their characters and root for their relationships, as Ryan said, credit where credit's due. But the first teen show I personally remember seeing that put some effort in that sense was Dawson's Creek, even though they did a half-assed job and allegedly Kerr Smith didn't want to play that aspect of the role so they had to back off.

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

Listen it wouldn't be so jarring if it wasn't Ryan and company licking their own asses publicly ad nauseum. It's fucking embarrassing the self congratulatory public masturbation, that's all.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

I pretty much loathe Ryan Murphy, but I have to give him and Brad and Ian credit for all the gayness on Glee. Say what you want about the writing and showrunning, but all the gay characters on Glee was/is pretty important for the tv landscape and representation, in general. Glee has five regular queer characters: two gay guys, one lesbian, one bisexual, and one FTM transgender. Glee has one recurring/semi-regular MTF transgender character. And a bunch of other recurring queer characters: Sebastian, Dave, Dani, Spencer, Spencer's dude, Adam, Rachel's dads, etc.

Representation is important and matters, even generally speaking. Even though Glee's writing lately is terrible, at best, I still can't name another show on broadcast or cable, with that many queer characters. Despite all the reasons I hate Glee, I will always give them props for that.

So, even if Ryan is altering history, re: his initial Glee concept, I don't mind him tooting his own horn about Glee's abundance of gay characters. I do, however, take issue with the quality of storylines for the above mentioned queer characters. (I still have major issues with Santana's coming out storyline that I'm sure I'll never get over, and I just want to ask him if he honestly thought that was an actual wonderful arc, or if he had checked out at that point and just pointed at the nearest straight white dude and said, 'Here, you write it')

• Love 7
(edited)

I pretty much loathe Ryan Murphy, but I have to give him and Brad and Ian credit for all the gayness on Glee. Say what you want about the writing and showrunning, but all the gay characters on Glee was/is pretty important for the tv landscape and representation, in general.

Absolutely. In a way, it was the perfect storm of the producers writing for it, the network executives being more open to it (like Ryan says in the speech about his previous experiences, I think I can take him at his word there), and the social landscape having changed by leaps and bounds compared to the time of Dawson's Creek, for example.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Ceeg, others can point it out. I don't disagree with that.

I still remember the scene in Season 3 in "Go your own Way" where all the Gay /Bi characters are together on screen ( Kurt, Santana, Blaine, Brittany and Sebastian)discussing Karofsky's suicide attempt. No one but them holding down the scene.

Still don't think there has even now been anything like that on network TV.

• Love 2