Type keyword(s) to search

Let's try to market this: media, articles and interviews

caracas1914

I don't think he's going to hurt for employment or anything, but I don't think he needs to clear off a mantle for all the shiny trophies he's going to collect either.

If only the Tonys had a Teen Choice Awards division...

• Love 1

I love it when people use the word stan in conjunction with one of the actor's names. I keep thinking "Did one of these actors take over some random country in the Middle East/Southwest Asia and rename it after themselves? lol

• Love 1

Based just off A Whole New World, you must be joking, or confusing Darren with Lea Salonga.

Yes, I did confuse them - but that was because they were both so awful I had to stop listening.

Except that Hedwig is not supposed to be "boyish". Bitter, world weary, beaten down and trying to rise again? Definitely. Boyish? Not even close.

Actually, it might in fact turn out to be close, as JCM has explicitly indicated he might be re-conceptualizing the show to play off Darren's relative youth.

All I ever claimed is that Darren sings about as well as Jon Groff. Here he is with two more tasteless performers who chose Darren in order to trade on his worldwide fame in order to make a cheap buck.

w/Salonga http://youtu.be/0bEk1l8ryeM http://youtu.be/w8_jSqtv2ZI

w/Feinstein http://youtu.be/PKNW6GzFt9Q

PLEASE HELP - how do I just include the link on an iPad?

So I still stand by my original claim, but I resented having to go listen to him sing in order to prove it. As to Hedwig, I believe he has the uninhibited manic energy and boyish charm to pull it off. But then again, I expected (and hoped) MM would triumph in Neverland, but I was wrong.

Matt still got Drama Desk and Drama League nominations. I don't think him getting " snubbed" for a Tony means FN was a total wash.

Not word for word, but there's general rending of garments and gnashing of teeth whenever someone has to audacity to suggest Lea Michele is not the best and brightest and best.  And also the best.  And a comment was made suggesting Darren's fans somehow stan him more mightily than any of the rest of us stan who we stan, and I was refuting that point.

Except for the one or so odd poster with hyperbolic compliments (and oddly enough the hyperbolic compliments apply to both Lea and Darren), I don't recall anyone ever saying or even implying Lea is the bestest thing ever.  Clearly, people have their favorites, and obviously Lea is one of my favorites in the cast, but I'm not trying to sell her as some rare, only one in her generation type talent.  That's what I find so ridiculous about this defense of Darren's talent.  Pulling out he can play the harmonica?  Great I guess?  

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm not saying Darren is the most talentless hack. I've enjoyed his starkid stuff and I've enjoyed some songs he's done outside of Glee, or even in Glee. I also think he can have a nice tone to his voice when he isn't shouting or straining for high notes. In general, I think he's got his good and bad days.

I just think hyping Darren up that much is over the top, especially from the Hedwig people. I get they want to sell tickets, and maybe he'll do a better job than I anticipate, but it comes off desperate when they hype that much.

I get stans tend to look through rose-colored glasses, and detracters look through shit-stained ones. I personally try to be realistic about my fav (Naya) and I try, in certain conversations at least, to not be too hard on the ones I dislike (mainly chord and Darren). I love Naya, and I enjoyed Sorry, but I'm not going to rush to its defense and I'd never claim it's amazing. This does happen with other stans too though. I once saw a Chris Stan compare Chris's writing to Oscar Wilde. While I enjoyed Struck by Lightning, saying Chris is anywhere near Wilde is as ludacris to me as saying Darren is a talent of a generation.

• Love 2

I see that Darren's chronic case of foot in mouth disease hasn't been cured yet. Maybe we should start a telethon.

He has an advantage over the actor who won a Tony playing that same part? Because he's not so much a "song and dance man"? Sure Darren... keep telling yourself that.

"I don't want to sound cocky..."

This is the kind of stuff that just makes me really not want to give him any benefit of a doubt and makes him look like a conceited asshole.

• Love 3

How is got his start as Doogie Howser NPH more of a traditional song and dance man than DC? And if he really is, why is that a disadvantage? Whatever, Darren.

It is true he's not a stranger to screaming his face off...and that's not necessarily a good thing.

How is got his start as Doogie Howser NPH more of a traditional song and dance man than DC? And if he really is, why is that a disadvantage? Whatever, Darren.

He means NPH is more "traditional" Broadway, i.e. has a B'way voice and can sing roles what Darren can't, but even he had to learn stuff that Darren has in his blood,lol. That Darren is rock'n'roll has been one of the talking points in promoting his run.

Edited by fakeempress

Darren got his big break doing a Katy Perry cover a cappella. He might not want to insist on his rock star roots too loud.

I don't have hater goggles on about him like many here, but he always felt like retro pop or maybe singer/songwriter was his home field. Pink was a little on the edgy side for him on Glee (and I dare him to try her silks stunts or big songs because she's badass). He might want to think about what he's saying. There's a Top Gun quote I'll bastardize here about his ego writing checks his voice can't cash. It seems appropriate.

• Love 4

Just wondering why is all this in this thread and not Darren's thread?

Darren's rock and roll?  No offense but that is news to me.  

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

http://pagesix.com/2015/04/29/harvey-weinstein-neverland-tony-snub-was-aimed-at-me/

Per "Finding Neverland", really Harvey its all about you?

It's becoming ridiculous, I mean, the reviews werent all that great overall, and other better reviewed shows (such as

"Hoeymoon in Vegas") WERE ALSO SHUT OUT. I get that hes trying to keep morale up with his cast, but...

To be fair, NYTimes journalists and the NYPost said the same thing. I think there might be some legitimacy to it. The show might have been shut out regardless, but I think Weinstein's antics guaranteed it. Edited by Sara2009
(edited)

OH I'm sure Harvey contributed with his antics, but it's not as if the show didn't receive  mixed reviews at best even in it's tryout days back in Boston with Jeremy Jordan.  Matt got some good personal notices  and he clearly showed he still "has it" for a BW show/crowd from all indications.   However, for him and Kelsey it's not like it was some perceived High Way robbery the way, say , Kristin Chenoweth, being shut out from "On the 20th Century" would have been.

Matt got a Drama League and Outer Critics nods so it's nice he got some good recognition.

Still think it's a personal triumph for Matt, he was away from BW far too long.

Edited by caracas1914

OH I"m sure Harvey contributed with his antics, but it's not as if the show hadn't got mixed reviews at best even in it's tryout days back in Boston with Jeremy Jordan. Matt got some good reviews and he clearly showed he still "has it" for a BW show/crowd from all indications. However, for him and Kelsey it's not like it was some perceived High Way robbery the way, say , Kristin Chenoweth, being shut out from "On the 20th Century" would have been.

Still think it's a personal triumph for Matt, he was away from BW far too long.

Oh I agree. I just think Matt and Kelsey MIGHT have gotten nominated if not for Harvey's antics. Obviously it wasn't ever guaranteed,though.

"Believe" from FN: http://youtu.be/PjAoNH5iUwY

It's the flagship song that is meant to convey the central theme of the show. Its production should soar. It didn't for me. Matt's singing and dancing are excellent, his (neologism alert!) brogueing is good enough for America, but he can't transcend the material. Nevertheless, he's having fun, it'll have more than a decent run, and his career will be considerably advanced. It's all good.

Audios of Darren's singing on opening night/dress rehearsal(?): http://grassivan.tumblr.com/post/117756853693(click the titles)

He's terrible, he'll be a great success, he's having fun, his run is guaranteed, and his career will be considerably advanced. No animals have been or will be harmed in the process.

Edited by Higgs

I really like a lot of the songs( though " Believe" isn't one of my favorites), but to each their own I guess. I think the ballads are probably the best.

Ballads are kinda Gary Barlow's thing.

I mean much as I like Take That's music I'm not surprised Barlow isn't a success on Broadway. Though I am freakin' delighted by it!

Yeah, based on that song, Finding Neverland is just not for me. Although honestly, something about Matt's style has never really been for me.

The thing that annoys me about the Darren songs is man, the attempts at the accent are not good. Looking at the Broadway.com forum from people who saw it, and aren't Darren/Glee fans, or even know much about him, seem mostly unimpressed. It doesn't seem like he was awful, but definitely pitchy and I think some were disappointed in the acting.

The thing that annoys me about the Darren songs is man, the attempts at the accent are not good. Looking at the Broadway.com forum from people who saw it, and aren't Darren/Glee fans, or even know much about him, seem mostly unimpressed. It doesn't seem like he was awful, but definitely pitchy and I think some were disappointed in the acting.

His accent is terrible. With that OTT lisp in it it's more a parody of a German accent. And lol: half the time the accent disappears when he's singing.

As for Darren's singing overal in Hedwig: his voice is quite weak and thin imo, with Darren not giving much breath/diaphragm support, and he's off key sometimes. I also miss emotional connection to the songs, but that's hard to tell just from listening to fragments of songs without seeing the performance itself.

The songs I heard from last night and the dress rehearsal the night before weren't horrible (though I wouldn't call them good either), but with the way he's singing now I doubt his voice will last very long and his performances will probably suffer down the road because of that.

Edited by Glorfindel
(edited)

As for Darren's singing overal in Hedwig: his voice is quite weak and thin imo, with Darren not giving much breath/diaphragm support, and he's off key sometimes. I also miss emotional connection to the songs, but that's hard to tell just from listening to fragments of songs without seeing the performance itself.

Although 'twas I who called his singing "terrible", a word or two of caution is in order. The acoustics in many sections of Broadway theaters are notoriously bad, and the recording from who knows where was probably made with lousy equipment. There are also the factors of opening night jitters and his uncertainty about vocal stamina leading to a tendency to hold back early on. I've heard him sing better live.

But all of this has to be understood from the perspective that I would never go to see either Hedwig or FN even if I were in NYC, unless the the former were led by Lea, Bette Midler, or Alan Cumming, and the latter was conceived as a flashback by Barrie in his dotage, played by Sean Connery, Cheyenne Jackson as the younger Barrie, and with no children except as portrayed by miming midgets.

Edited by Higgs
(edited)

I don't think including the harmonica in instruments Darren can play is strawman or silly or whatever. My argument was simply, the kid is involved in a ton of different areas of the entertainment industry in many different ways. Perhaps that's a little different. And considering examples of others were, say, calling Lea an author..I'd say it's fine to list that. It's just funny that no one can ever give Criss credit. 

Darren has never been someone to stay on pitch too well live. I mean, decent enough but he's just not a flawless vocalist like Lea or Amber. So I doubt it'll happen on this broadway run. 

Edited by mercfan3

Kevin stating the obvious..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/01/glee-kevin-mchale_n_7193670.html

During a visit to "The HuffPost Show" on Friday, "Glee" actor Kevin McHale told hosts Roy Sekoff and Marc Lamont Hill that he doesn't see a spinoff of the series in the future, particularly because of how much viewership dropped off in later seasons.

"Towards the end, there weren't that many people watching 'Glee.' So I don't know how many people would then watch a spinoff," he said. "We're off the air for a reason."

The actor, whose show "Sick Of My Own Voice" airs on Dash Radio, added that he felt "Glee" never truly recovered from the death of star Cory Monteith, which changed the vibe on set and made it challenging for writers to determine a new direction for the series.

Stating the obvious, more or less, but...the show was declining, creatively and commercially long before Cory's death...

Yeah, season 4 was when viewership was really dropping. And the stuff they did that season...oomph. There was no recovery. Although I'm sure losing Cory didn't help.

Still, Kevin's honesty is always a joy to hear. I'm still awaiting a tell-all from someone.

• Love 1

Stating the obvious, more or less, but...the show was declining, creatively and commercially long before Cory's death...

This. Blaming Cory's death is rude. One had nothing to do with the other. Glee was on the downward slide creatively and in the ratings well before addiction claimed another far too soon.

(edited)

I can imagine the vibe on set was completely different but the writers lost their way long before Cory's passing.  Really the second they decided to split the narrative in order to have their cake (keep the wildly popular original characters on the show) and eat it too (franchise Glee with a new generation in the choir room so RM could reassure himself that his vision alone was the reason for Glee's success).  The first big casualty of that was Finn's original story (where he proved to himself and the world could make something of himself outside of the halls of McKinley) but it certainly wasn't the last.  

But even if I wanted to be generous and say it wasn't the decision to split the narrative that made the show jump the shark I would have to say it was the dumb decision to extend 2012/13 school year in order to keep selling their whacked out "vision" and that too was a decision made before Cory passed.  Attributing the writers losing their way because Cory passed lets the writers off far to easily as far as I am concerned.

Still I appreciate Kevin's candor about how far the show fell.  I am sure they all appreciate what Glee gave them but I also imagine those last few months working on a show that was a dead show walking was a slog.  

Edited by camussie
(edited)

I think Glee might have muddled along for another couple of seasons a the same kind of ratings as season 4 but losing a presence like Cory's coupled with a writing team who did not know how to handle it then it was a major factor.

Still I appreciate Kevin's candor about how far the show fell.

Kevin's candor will only be admired when he admits to doing the disabled equivalent of blackface. Edited by jaytee1812

People keep talking about Ryan Murphy's...fetishes, with regards to this show. And, I found this old article, which does raise an eyebrow or 2...

Even the jocks, led by sweetheart quarterback Finn (Monteith), steer clear of stereotypes, prompting us to wonder, what was Murphy’s relationship like with the football players at his school? "I dated them," he says with a laugh. "I was popular because I was really confident. The jocks were my allies. And I had quiet little relationships with a couple of them."

The football fetish — which started with Episode 4 in which Colfer re-enacts Beyonce’s "Single Ladies" dance with the rest of the football team as a field-goal try — continues with the Super Bowl special.

Things that make u go hmmm...

(edited)

Ryan Murphy blathers:

Even the jocks, led by sweetheart quarterback Finn (Monteith), steer clear of stereotypes, prompting us to wonder, what was Murphy’s relationship like with the football players at his school? "I dated them," he says with a laugh. "I was popular because I was really confident. The jocks were my allies. And I had quiet little relationships with a couple of them."

I think Murphy's definition of "popular",   "dating" and "relationships" is open to wide interpretation as far as 70's high school Indiana.

Just saying.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

Ryan Murphy blathers:

I think Murphy's definition of "popular",   "dating" and "relationships" is open to wide interpretation as far as 70's high school Indiana.

Just saying.

Yeah, I would bet Murphy is definitely putting quite the spin on reality with those comments.

• Love 1

I got what Kevin was trying to say about Cory's death being kind of the "point of no return" for the show. He was asked when HE felt the show jumped the shark/lost its way. I know for a lot of us it was Season 4 and for some even earlier than that, but I can imagine the cast might have felt differently. People tend to look at things differently when they are right in the middle of them, living them. Maybe they weren't crazy about the stories of Season 4 (and hey maybe they were) but maybe there was a feeling that they could have course corrected. What I heard Kevin saying was that after Cory passed away, they almost didn't even want to fix it. They just really didn't want to be there. And to me that is not blaming Cory's death, as much as acknowledging how important he was to the show. Even if they messed up Finn's story on screen (and I think they did) it is obvious that Cory was important to everyone behind the scenes. 

• Love 3
What I heard Kevin saying was that after Cory passed away, they almost didn't even want to fix it. They just really didn't want to be there. And to me that is not blaming Cory's death, as much as acknowledging how important he was to the show.

ITA. I absolutely understood what Kevin was saying and agreed with him because I felt the same way. No, it's not saying that we're blaming Cory's dying for the show's demise - I believe we can all agree that was RIB and their utter incompetence and laziness. That said, the show was already starting to show signs of wear and tear and struggling with the very ill-advised split narrative and Cory's death just put a pall over everything that couldn't be fixed or changed.

While the show definitely had its problems there were still fun moments here and there but it was just hard to find any glee (pun intended) after Cory's passing, with such a heavy cloud over it. Everything after his death, for me anyway, felt forced. There just wasn't any genuine joy and laughter anymore and the writing getting shittier and shittier didn't help. And yeah it did feel like many associated with the show threw in the towel - again we don't even need to mention the piece of utter crap writing but I did feel like some of the actors were just sleep walking through the show and just phoning it in and just hanging on because the end was near. 

• Love 2

I just subscribed to the Girl on Guy with Aisha Tyler podcast. I downloaded Jenna's episode, it was quite interesting listening to how she got to Glee. It was obviously recorded before Glee was officially binned.

It is so interesting to hear to obviously smart women discuss the industry, especially touching on both being women of colour in the industry.

(edited)

I bet it's from the same media promo day they did before his debut (he still had facial hair), the talking points and ott quotes sound the same. Maybe with the addition of "genius". 

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)
Apparently Tina and Artie ended up together because Kevin asked for it

In Kevin's defense, it's not as if the writers would have granted him an actual storyline he asked for  as indeed Kevin was nothing but a prop in Season 6.   So by asking him "what he wanted" they were just playing up the "see we listen to the actors" BS.   The Tina/Artie thing was a throwaway thing and I would guess there were other things Kevin probably wanted for Artie that never saw the light of day.

On that same token, my guess is that neither Chord nor Amber were begging for a pairing  endgame for their characters.   To me it spoke volumes that in  a twittering session during one of the last  Season 5 Glee episodes Chord was asked about his favorite romantic pairings on the show and he flat out mentioned both the ones with Quinn  and Brittany.  Now mind you, an actor has a right to have his opinions/preferences  on pairings;  It was more  the timing, the awkward fact that Chord  didn't mince words when he was still onscreen having a multiple episode romance SL with the Amber/Mercedes character implied to me there was tension in that dynamic.

Edited by caracas1914

In Kevin's defense, it's not as if the writers would have granted him an actual storyline he asked for  as indeed Kevin was nothing but a prop in Season 6.   So by asking him "what he wanted" they were just playing up the "see we listen to the actors" BS.   The Tina/Artie thing was a throwaway thing and I would guess there were other things Kevin probably wanted for Artie that never saw the light of day.

I know, I actually just click on the video accidentally when I was trying to do something else on You Tube and I needed a rant.

Kevin's not a bad actor they could've done a lot with Artie if they wanted.

On that same token, my guess is that neither Chord nor Amber were begging for a pairing  endgame for their characters.   To me it spoke volumes that in  a twittering session during one of the last  Season 5 Glee episodes Chord was asked about his favorite romantic pairings on the show and he flat out mentioned both the one with Quinn  and Brittany.  Now mind you, an actor has a right to have his opinions/preferences  on pairings;  It was the timing, the fact that Chord  didn't mince words when he was still onscreen having a multiple episode romance SL with the Amber/Mercedes character implied to me there was tension in that dynamic.

Yeah. I mean their could be a thousand reasons Chord preferred those storylines or working with those actresses, but it looks disrespectful to the writers, and as much as I think the writers on Glee stretch the term 'professional writer' I'm not paid to perform their work. It also looks disrespectful to Amber.

That's without the context that he highlight the to skinny white women as his preference and not the plus size black women. Whether he meant that or not, consciously I doubt he did, it looks bad.

FWIW, I've heard that Jenna always wanted an Artie/Tina endgame too.

I hadn't heard that but doesn't surprise me. The parts of Tina Jenna has spoken about liking to play was the downtrodden loser.