Type keyword(s) to search

Let's try to market this: media, articles and interviews

caracas1914

(edited)

Deadline in an exclusive makes it sound like Darren's song is submitted, as expected: "...his second song on Glee, which is being considered for an Emmy in the category of Original Music & Lyrics."

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

E! Online's Best. Ever. TV Awards 2015 has Kurt and Blaine down as one of the Best Couple noms (using a picture from season 2).

Haha

Oddest couple  - Sam and Rachel.    Never found them odd really just unnecessary.

Worse shocker - Blaine and Karofsky becoming a couple, Glee   - shocker?  unnecessary too.

Best Bitch - Sue Sylvester - again unnecessary by season 6.

Edited by tom87
(edited)

I do have to give Darren props in that his PR people keep the ball going over his Original Song with all these media sites per it's Emmy chances.

Mind you, he could get a nomination, but to think a show on it's last legs with virtually no audience or critical cred left and against other shows such as EMPIRE, NASHVILLE, songs for SNL, Tony/Oscar/Emmy ceremonies, Menken for GALAHANT, the nexflix comedies, etc and yet even now all the drum rolling up of it's EMMY chances has a surreal feel to it.

If he gets it, kudos to his team!! Color me impressed.

It's not as if the song got that much notice outside the Glee fandom.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
(edited)

the nexflix comedies, etc

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt theme song is such an earworm, I had the chorus stuck in my mind for the longest time. 

Speaking of etc., Amazon's Bosch has a very cool opening credits tune, too bad it's not written specifically for the show. 

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

Darren is profiled in the Daily Beast, complete with statements that he was "arguably the brightest spot of Glee for years." I guess part of the PR push cause there's talk about This Time as well. 

Also: "He’d like to do more songwriting, he says, and there are talks of more projects with Star-Kid Productions, the team he created “A Very Potter Musical” with. As for acting, “just give me a fucking interesting character,” he says, “that’s all I need”—while admitting that, after a demanding Broadway run, a film that shoots on a beach would be nice.

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

Well, he has experience raising raptors.

That Daily Beast interview with Darren just gives and gives:

"Especially as his own star rose, there were offers that would take him out of the halls of McKinley High which he turned down because he felt a sense of loyalty to the creative team that gave him his big break. “All of a sudden all these doors open up that you’re too fat to fit through anymore,” he says. “And I didn’t want to leave out of respect and gratitude for what was given to me.”

I'm sorry, but didn't Darrren have a CONTRACT with Glee? So nice of him to not leave out of "respect and gratitude. " He could have left, but I'm sure he knew it was 100 % guaranteed he'd get his ass sued.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

I just skimmed it before, and apparently missed a lot of gems. He's wowing the critics with an indisputably brilliant performance (there've been reviews in the papers?). He's America's favourite straight queer boy (someone notify America stat). He was the brightest spot on Glee for years. He had to constrain his talents to fit into the world of Glee. 

Also look at it like a job application. He is loyal to his detriment (no mention of the opportunities he took and the show had to accommodate). He still saw the brilliance in Glee's writing despite occasional blips. He's not questioning creative decisions. No more unofficial regrets that he didn't speak up like some of his co-stars did. He's again just a gun for hire ready to follow orders. 

Also the Emmy push, I guess he really wants it. How come he wasn't nominated the moment he set foot on the show, right. That's an Emmy travesty, and not, say, Tatiana Maslany being shut out for Orphan Black.  I can't remember if even Lea's pr was so "on" when she was nominated before. 

As a fan of his PR, I have high hopes they aren't done yet for this round. it's both fascinating and amusing how they toss a whole bunch of superlatives and spin them.

Edited by fakeempress

I don't really get Darren as an attraction in terms of making people go to see Hedwig. On the other hand I'd be tempted to sell an internal organ and walk the Atlantic to see his replacement, Taye Diggs.

• Love 1

I think within the next month we will get inundated with "SCREAM QUEENS" PR/media push.

Well they screen the pilot for tv journalist tonight and it is getting great reviews so far.

The premiere date was announced   for Sept 22.

Oh, I think it's got great potential for a series, it's just that even if not, I expect the media push to be on overdrive. Until "EMPIRE" actually aired, some were worried that FOX was pushing it too hard...LOL.

Oh, I think it's got great potential for a series, it's just that even if not, I expect the media push to be on overdrive. Until "EMPIRE" actually aired, some were worried that FOX was pushing it too hard...LOL.

Well it is probley their best prospect for the fall season.  

I know they are sharing a panel at comic con with AHS.    There will be a lot  of Lea cause her book comes out on Sept 22 too.

True. It just makes rewatching them harder when you know it's going to fall apart eventually after a few seasons. Long term story-telling is not his strong suit.

Heck, even with an anthology series like American Horror Story, some of the seasons still become a Ryan Murphy-esque mess at the end...and thats just 13 episodes! It'll be interesting to see how things go with Scream Queens.

• Love 1

i can't believe that in the recent AHS season, the freak show, he reverted to just killing off characters left and right in the last couple of episodes, lazy plotting for shock effect.

Wait....

(edited)

I admit I watched Glee the last few years because I was a big fan of Lea, Chris , Naya, etc, but personally I didn't feel it was entertaining even in a bad way. Nobody questions that it was only the 2 year guarantee that kept it on the air for Season 6 and it showed with how little the writers/producers gave care to what they did with the characters.

Ditto Nip/Tuck which I pretty much gave up on.

AHS has the advantage that it can reboot every year, so no matter how badly it's fucked up by the end of season, Ryan can reboot and revamp. I suppose Scream Queens will be the same way.

A regular narrative TV series where you have to continue with the same characters seems beyond his grasp these days. A comedy/horror genre has some promise, though I wonder how he will keep that going beyond the novelty of the first season. Comedy IMO is tougher than horror or drama to keep fresh.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

See even if it was just a small thing I still found something I liked,  even if it was as you said just Lea, Chris or Naya singing a song or even having a scene or two. I guess I got so use to just watching their parts the other stuff became moot.  

Nip/tuck I think I only watched a seaosn or two but I don't remember why I stopped watching.

Now Freak Show was a bit of chore to finish but I did just becasue of OCD i guess. :)

See even if it was just a small thing I still found something I liked,  even if it was as you said just Lea, Chris or Naya singing a song or even having a scene or two. I guess I got so use to just watching their parts the other stuff became moot.

Oh I admit I would have (heaven help me) have watched a 7th or 8th season, so one can judge me accordingly LOL.  However, I am not rationally surprised the ratings tanked as badly  as they did, as my enjoyment of the morsels I got of my faves didn't blind me to what an utter  and complete cluster fuck overall the show turned into.

(edited)

Fox has announced the Fall premiere dates (not sure if it was known before):  

Scream Queens debuts with a special, two-hour series premiere event on Tuesday, Sept. 22. With at least one casualty each week until the mystery is solved, anyone could be the next victim - or the murderer. On Tuesday, Sept. 29 the series will make its time period premiere (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT).

eta: Just saw tom87 had the premiere date a few posts back

Edited by fakeempress

They seem to be going for a light approach. It the trial of a man for two murders, two people died. Nothing light about that. 

Also I keep wondering how they'll give Mark Furhman the hero edit.* 

*I think I'm joking. 

Per the Supreme Court decision this TIME.com article

http://time.com/3937496/gay-marriage-supreme-court-ruling-tv-shows-changed-america/

While some high school shows might dedicate an episode or two to sexual identity, Glee was one of the first to take the topic head-on with its introduction of Kurt Hummel (Chris Colfer). Kurt eventually met Blaine (Darren Criss) and was permitted to have the same high school sweetheart romance—including losing their virginity to each other—so often celebrated with straight couples in pop culture.

Ok, I'll bitch a little, no mention of Brittana??
  • Love 1

http://www.eonline.com/news/671021/lovewins-ryan-murphy-s-thoughts-on-what-the-supreme-court-s-same-sex-marriage-ruling-means-and-how-tv-helped-pave-the-way

"Today for the first time I know what it feels like to truly be an American--equal and protected under the law. It's a very emotional moment, one I never thought as a little boy growing up gay and scared and isolated in Indiana that I would ever have. I'm so glad that Larry Kramer got to live to see this epic day he fought his whole life for. And I am so proud of our American television creators and stars like Ellen DeGeneres, Matt Bomer, Neil Patrick Harris, Max Mutchnick and Jill Solloway just to name a few -- who brought gay and transgender moments and characters into homes and in a very big way started the national conversation that had a happy ending this morning.

Finally, I would like to give Judge Scalia a big hug and explain to him that more weddings = more cake for everybody.

Ryan."

(edited)

Jon Groff did an interview with Kevin Sessums, very interesting and frank. I thought this part kinda echoes Chris' gay marriage quote in Variety, which was somewhat debated in the Colfer thread.

KS: You’ve attained success in your public life. Do you feel to be successful in your private life as a gay man these days that you have to be married and have children?

JG: No.

KS: Not only have so many of us begun to codify our happiness in a heteronormative context as gay men, but I just heard myself ask a “sexist” question of you as a gay man: Will you be fulfilled without having a husband and children? Is that something you even want?

JG: I love kids, and my brother just had a baby. I think you start thinking about having a family of your own when your brother or your sister starts having them or your friends do. I have a lot of gay friends who are couples or are single, and they don’t have kids, and they don’t seem any less successful or happy to me. But for myself, I don’t know. 

Edited by fakeempress

That was a very interesting interview with Jonathan Groff. I thought it was revealing that he didn't come out until he was 23 and that the epiphany was while vacationing in Florence, he was writing in his journal that he had kept since his teeange years and realized he had not written down anything about his BF for the last 3 years because nothing was out in the open and that might accidently be revealed. So he came out to friends and family and broke up with the BF ( who was also in the closet).

(edited)

Interview with Darren which says, among others:

In an episode of Glee, Criss, as Blaine, “unconsciously” picked up a pair of pink sunglasses that were laying around a Gap, as he wanted to give a little nod to fans who knew him before the series. “Glee had a habit of trying to make the characters the actors as much as humanly possible, which I was very staunchly opposed to,” he explains, adding that the sunglasses are a “me thing.”

Kevin talks about Boychoir and confirms about Men of Granite, and that Kennedys was delayed partly for financial reasons. Re actors who go into directing: "When I was on Glee, there were a lot of people who wanted to direct episodes."

Also, Chris mentions this for the third ? time during his current book tour: "maybe some Broadway things coming up" (at 5:10). 

Edited by fakeempress

Interview with Darren which says, among others:

In an episode of Glee, Criss, as Blaine, “unconsciously” picked up a pair of pink sunglasses that were laying around a Gap, as he wanted to give a little nod to fans who knew him before the series. “Glee had a habit of trying to make the characters the actors as much as humanly possible, which I was very staunchly opposed to,” he explains, adding that the sunglasses are a “me thing.”

He unconsciously did it as a knowing nod to fans. Okay.

He didn't want to mix the character and the actor, so wore sunglasses that were his personal thing. Okay.

Ugh.

I copied this passage just for the quote about Glee and characters/actors, cause we've discussed that a lot. But now that I think of it, didn't he say at the Paris con that he wished he spoke up like other actors when he didn't agree with something. So idk what he means by very staunchly opposed.