Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Dusty Spur

• Start Topic

Hope we get the answer to the biggest mystery: which lone state did Sam's film not get banned in?!

Ruth rooming with Sheila/Wolf Lady was a pretty good idea, and I like seem them bond ever so slightly.  Also liked seeing Carmen's family life, and how even though her father is a wrestler, he doesn't want her following on his footsteps, because he just wants her to find a husband (as opposed to his sons, who he's perfectly fine with being wrestlers.)  Can't tell if Carmen staring at Rhonda/British Lady's breasts means she's a lesbian or simply isn't use to interacting with other women, like she said.

I say this as a compliment that no one can play a punchable jackass like Rich Sommer can.

• Love 2

Wolf Girl confuses me. Since when do wolves wear heavy eyeliner, long black wigs and fishnet stockings? And... an additional layer of fur, in SoCal?

The other silly personae are fine, because they're fake. But if that one is real, it bugs me a little.

It also bugs me how much I'm warming up to Maron's character. As a standup comedian he's fucking awful, but this role is a perfect fit for him.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Wolf Girl confuses me. Since when do wolves wear heavy eyeliner, long black wigs and fishnet stockings? And... an additional layer of fur, in SoCal?

The other silly personae are fine, because they're fake. But if that one is real, it bugs me a little.

It also bugs me how much I'm warming up to Maron's character. As a standup comedian he's fucking awful, but this role is a perfect fit for him.

Yeah, Marc Maron is playing Marc Maron and the guy has serious anger management issues in real life but damn, he's entertaining.  I watched his show on IFC for the first two seasons and thought it was entertaining.

The image of Sam standing up to Carmen's father was a hilarious sight gag. I'm impressed with who they cast for Carmen's father, because he is huge and Marc Maron looks tiny compared to him. 

Chris Lowell is playing Bash with such high energy....quite literally, because it seems like the character's probably always high. I actually chuckled at his attempt to keep Carmen around by pretending to be Carmen's boyfriend. Carmen's a pretty great character. Even if her plot feels rushed because we barely knew anything about her besides her wrestler father before this episode, the actors all sold it in a believable way. I could mostly look past the cliche writing because of the solid acting.

I love Ruth as the anti-hero. She's pretty irritating and I can totally understand why Sam's not fond of her, as well as most of the other girls, but she's also endearing enough to make me not hate her. As long as they don't give her more focus and they keep with the ensemble feel, then I could really enjoy this show.

I'm confused at Shelia/She Wolf's story, but her scene with Ruth at the end was touching.

I'm really warming up to almost all the characters. 

• Love 2

Hilarious episode!

I like that the ladies are all rooming together and getting to know one another. We're getting glimpses of more back stories which is drawing me in to to the show now - all of the actresses are really great.

I also like that this really is becoming an ensemble piece rather than just Ruth's story. Alison Brie is striking a good balance between being really annoying and likeable. Betty Gilpin continues to impress (and man, that little baby she's toting around sure is cute, and I'm not even a fan of kids).

The visual sight gag of Carmen's family vs. well, everyone, was funny. Also loved the clip of "Blood Disco" (interrupted by his dating video). As I'm sort of a bad movie aficionado, I hope we get to see more glimpses of Sam's terrible films in future episodes. Marc Maron is perfectly cast as that character: a sleaze, but an entertaining sleaze. Am also warming up to Sebastian big-time - I like that he's a wealthy trust fund kid who, instead of being a sociopath, seems like a decent (if drugged up) soul. More hints this ep that he might be gay, when he mentioned struggling under his family's expectations.

I think I'm fully invested in this show now!

• Love 2

Carmen's brothers were played by actual professional wrestlers (her dad might have been, too, but I didn't recognize him). Anyway, the line where she kisses Bash and her father dismisses her by saying "You want to be a wrestler and you don't even know how to sell"? SLAYED me.  In pro wrestling, "selling" is slang for making your opponent's moves look like they hurt. Some wrestlers are really good at making their own moves look painful but not their opponent's, are vice versa. It was completely realistic that a wrestler would use such lingo in their own conversation -- and that his daughter would understand it and be heartbroken by it.

• Love 1

I loved when the girls were watching Sam's horrible movies and Cherry's husband just plopped down on the couch between them. And then "Welfare Queen" saying I don't know about y'all but I learned A LOT tonight. I just love all of the women, they're all funny in different ways. This show is so well cast. Well I've only watched up to this episode so far but I am loving this show.

• Love 1

I'm glad that Jenny and Tammé are still expressing concerns about the characters Sam wants them to play. He may see them as commentaaries on race baiting but 99% of people will see them as the same old stereotypes being perpetuated.

Although the "let's make everyone live in a motel" is just a major plot device, it's still a good way for the girls to get to know each other better so I'm okay with it.

One thing I will say in praise of Bash is that he is very enthusiastic (although some of that may just be the cocaine). I love the way he's always encouraging the girls (even when he's encouraging them to embrace racial stereotypes, he is so obliviously upbeat about it!). I really loved that he ran after Carmen and pretended to be her boyfriend to convince her dad to let her stay. I know he needs her for the show, but I think he also saw how crushed she was when she had to leave and he really wanted to give the the opportunity to stay. Heh, but I also loved that her dad pointed out how what terrible actors they were.

I'm glad that Ruth and Sheila are finding a way to live together and give each other some space. Sometimes you just need to have the room to yourself (especially when you are spending all day with a large group of people).

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 3/1/2018 at 6:37 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm glad that Ruth and Sheila are finding a way to live together and give each other some space. Sometimes you just need to have the room to yourself (especially when you are spending all day with a large group of people).

I totally misread that scene.  For some reason I thought Wolf Girl wanted private time to masturbate.

Were eyeliners terrible in the 80's? Why would you have to heat it up?

Still not getting who they think this show is for. Why all the female nudity? It's not part of the show. 

Yay! I was glad to get more of Carmen's story this episode. Hate that her brother is Tyrus though.

I think Sheila is... actually offensive? To people who have real identities that others think are all in their heads. She feels like the lame joke about the attack helicopter personified.

Love that Cherry just invited Keith to the hotel. Why not?

"He's more sexist than racist... in my experience." XD

Sam's dating ad was great.