Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: Farewell, My Lovely

(edited)

PENULTIMATE EPISODE!

Convinced they know who A.D. is, the Liars gear up for a confrontation. Spencer, Hanna, and Caleb team up to investigate and discover new information about Charlotte's death. Meanwhile, Mary Drake returns with a gift for Spencer and Alison.

Promo:

Clip:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
17 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Meanwhile, Mary Drake returns with a gift for Spencer and Alison.

And with that, I just remembered that Spencer and Alison are cousins. Genetic half siblings, even, since their mothers are identical twins.  I feel like the show should have done more with this. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Spencer Hastings said:

And with that, I just remembered that Spencer and Alison are cousins. Genetic half siblings, even, since their mothers are identical twins.  I feel like the show should have done more with this. 

This has been bothering me all season long. Spencer and Alison become instant relatives and somehow go all season without having a conversation between just the two of them. Does Alison even know Spencer's bio-mom killed her mother? Like if ever there was a time for a Spalison scene it was over these last few episodes, but of course nothing. 

• Love 7

Convinced they know who A.D. is, the Liars gear up for a confrontation.

This means nothing at all -- remember that the PLLs were 'convinced' that Alison as A.D. for a while as well, and that didn't work out.

Hanna, and Caleb team up to investigate and discover new information about Charlotte's death.

But nobody watching this show cares who killed Charlotte -- I know I don't.  Heck I'm concerned about what happened to Pepe the corpse-sniffing dog.

Meanwhile, Mary Drake returns with a gift for Spencer and Alison.

Mary Drake comes out of hiding to give them a gift.   Unless it's pictures of A.D. accompanied by a signed confession, it will be completely pointless and yet another red herring.

Seriously, with two episodes left they are no closer to finding AD -- and while miraculous evidence has determined Spencer's innocence in the murder of Archer Dunhill how did that give the other PLLs a get out of jail free card ?  

Rosewood PD is just so bad at their jobs that they don't even bother to ask why Spencer was in New Hampshire on the night of the murder or who's car she was driving or when she left Rosewood or who she was going to see.  Did this evidence just show up in the mail or e-mail or did Rosewood PD actively search all red light cameras from that night within a 500 mile radius -- I seriously doubt it.  

Isn't New Hampshire where Nicole and her parents are now? Is that where they're originally from? There has to be a reason that AD chose New Hampshire for Aria's alibi.

Related note: do the writers remember that Nicole was friends with Emily before dating Ezra? Throughout the entire Nicole is missing/Nicole has been found/Ezra needs to tell Nicole that he's engaged to Aria business, did we get even one mention about Emily's friendship with Nicole? Or did they not mention that at all on the show because they want us to be Team Aria?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Isn't New Hampshire where Nicole and her parents are now? Is that where they're originally from? There has to be a reason that AD chose New Hampshire for Aria's alibi.

I thought they said Maine, NH's next door neighbor.  

I've heard tale that there's another time jump at the end of this episode.  Is that true?  Resolve the mysteries this episode then spend the 2 hr season finale the following week just doing shipper nonsense?

1 hour ago, mac123x said:

I've heard tale that there's another time jump at the end of this episode.  Is that true?  Resolve the mysteries this episode then spend the 2 hr season finale the following week just doing shipper nonsense?

No, time jump likely doesn't happen until middle or last portion of finale.

8 hours ago, AftermathTV said:

No, time jump likely doesn't happen until middle or last portion of finale.

At which point we will be introduced to a brand new character ..... probably a previously unknown Mary Drake shirttail cousin ..... that has been A.D. all along. </sarcasm>

(edited)

They have that gravelly movie trailer voice from the 80s and 90's. That sums this show up. They also include an advert in a 90 second trailer, a fucking advert for their freeform youtube channel! Seriously? In a trailer? An advert? An advert within an advert? 

Having wasted so many hours on this shit, I am starting to get annoyed at the incompetence of the writers (rather than finding it amusing), because the feeling is increasingly moving away from incompetence to an utter disdain for their audience.  

Edited by Chinspinner
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AftermathTV said:

Mary Drake leaves them The Lost Woods Resort. What a dumpy and creepy present. Seriously, who is going to buy that off them?

I wish we got to see Mary tell Alison about this little present on screen:  “Sorry I killed your mother and dressed up as dead people with your abusive con-man of a husband with the intention of driving you to a psychotic breakdown so that I could steal all your money and destroy your life. Here’s 50% of a shitty motel in the middle of nowhere that no one ever actually goes to.” 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Froippi said:

that AD clip is odd and out of left field idk what to think 

Add another item to AD's resume -- can operate farm equipment.  By this point, it would actually just be easier to list the things that AD can't do.  :)

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Add another item to AD's resume -- can operate farm equipment.  By this point, it would actually just be easier to list the things that AD can't do.  :)

lol so true I mean when can he start operating stuff like this lol

So we find out who killed Charlotte in this episode... a plot thread that seems to have been completely dropped for this half season.  "Oh, right!  yeah, Charlotte was killed by..." [yelling off to the side] "which guest actor is available for 7.19?"

• Love 7

In the last wee, a few different people have posted that old clip from a million years ago and labeled it as a clip from 7x19 so I don't know if that means we're finally going to see it in context in this episode or if people are just hedging their bets that there's a 50/50 chance it's going to be part of this episode (as opposed to the finale).

32 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In the last wee, a few different people have posted that old clip from a million years ago and labeled it as a clip from 7x19 so I don't know if that means we're finally going to see it in context in this episode or if people are just hedging their bets that there's a 50/50 chance it's going to be part of this episode (as opposed to the finale).

Pretty sure we are going to see this flash forward scene finally. You can see snippets of it in the promo where Aria's wearing the same dress, although they reshot it and Lucy's hair is a little different. The scene doesn't really fit into the current timeline though as Alison wouldn't be calling herself Mrs. Rollins so my guess is it's a dream which would be kind of lame but maybe they'll surprise me and actually find a way to work it organically into the episode. 

3 hours ago, SadieT said:

Pretty sure we are going to see this flash forward scene finally. You can see snippets of it in the promo where Aria's wearing the same dress, although they reshot it and Lucy's hair is a little different. The scene doesn't really fit into the current timeline though as Alison wouldn't be calling herself Mrs. Rollins so my guess is it's a dream which would be kind of lame but maybe they'll surprise me and actually find a way to work it organically into the episode. 

oh yea the this flash forward scene is going to happen its not a if anymore was spoil in the promo to I believe 

Am I the only one having a terrible audio problem on FreeForm? 

I'm fully ready to blame the network's incompetence because there's nothing happening where I'm living that should be causing a satellite interference.

Rerun at 10 better fix it. Don't pull this shit during the last two nights I watch your channel ever.

• Love 1

“I have a master’s degree in American Literature; there’s nothing I can’t handle.”

WTF?  And with that one statement Ezra went from obnoxious prick to idiot baboon.  Seriously, what does that even mean??? I have a master’s in lit myself and I still have no clue what the ever loving fuck he was talking about.  Hello Mr. Fritz, there’s a corpse in your fiancé’s trunk. Deconstructing Moby Dick will not keep Aria out of jail.

Clearly MK and the writers do not have any degrees in literature or they’d write something better than this crap.  The whole “Mrs. Rollin’s” scene was nothing more than a freakin’ dream? How ‘we forgot about that scene till the viewers reminded us so we had to resolve it with the lamest plot device in literature’ of them!

• Love 20

"Siri, what is the definition of 'anticlimactic'?"

Siri:  "Anticlimactic means that the answer to a mystery is a big let down.  For example, watch episode 7.19 of Pretty Little Liars".

Really, what is left to resolve in a 2 hour finale?  The game has concluded, AD appeared to be driving off into the sunset to spread pain and misery to another small town.  Is the next episode going to be IMK sitting in a chair answering minor questions?  "Beach Hottie was Wilden.  MAYA KNEW nothing of import.  The sperm donor for Ali's baby is, oh, let's say... Byron.  Freeform wouldn't let us get Mikey Montgomery back because of that NSFW video that leaked online. "

That's a front-end loader, Tanner, not an excavator.  Wrong equipment for exhuming a grave.

Trust RWPD to overlook an object at Charlotte's death scene as a potential cause of death.  They knew she struggled before getting hit in the back of the head with something square shaped.

4 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

“I have a master’s degree in American Literature; there’s nothing I can’t handle.”

WTF?  And with that one statement Ezra went from obnoxious prick to idiot baboon.  Seriously, what does that even mean??? I have a master’s in lit myself and I still have no clue what the ever loving fuck he was talking about.  Hello Mr. Fritz, there’s a corpse in your fiancé’s trunk. Deconstructing Moby Dick will not keep Aria out of jail.

I took that as either a) pretentiously ironic (meaning "I have NO preparation for this kind of shit") or b) just straight up pretentious ("I've read all the works of Edgar Allen Poe so I know how to cut up a body and bury it under the floorboards")

6 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

The whole “Mrs. Rollin’s” scene was nothing more than a freakin’ dream? How ‘we forgot about that scene till the viewers reminded us so we had to resolve it with the lamest plot device in literature’ of them!

"Oh, but you all thought it'd be Ali having the dream!  We tricked you, it was actually Emily!  What a tweeeest!"

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, childeroland said:

I think Ezra was just joking.

What NSFW video was Mike's actor involved in?

This  is Ezra we're talking about. He's straight up pretentious just like mac123x said in multiple choice B. 

But I second the question, what was the NSFW video w/Mike??? That sounds far more interesting than this episode. 

• Love 2

So the body was in the trunk and then put in the fake grave. Wouldn't the cops know that the grave was just freshly done? 

Aria not wanting to dig the body up was smart, I was thinking they shouldn't do it because it's probably a trick and the cops are watching. Good for her for stopping them.

Interesting that Charlotte was faking her recovery. So good for Mona for killing her, even if it was an accident. 

So that's it at the end? AD is gone driving off into the sun with the toy dolls and the game is over with Mary taking the rap and Charlotte's truth coming out? 

• Love 3

Ezra and Caleb really came off as a bunch of dicks tonight. Mona came off as a hypocrite but she's insane so it's ok that she accidentally killed someone. Oh and the Liars got away with murder. 

Is next week really going to be about the ships? Ugh spare me. I get the other three ships but Spoby should at least try to be friends again. Trollene really screwed their fans over with not giving them time. Whatever Troian deserved better than the script they gave her.

(edited)

I really am going to miss this show.  It has some serious issues, but throughout it has been a hoot to watch.  

I liked the Mona reveal.  She is someone who has at times wanted to control the game but has also been a victim of it.  Middle management for villains.  She is also someone who genuinely wants to be friends with the liars.  It is a great duality for the character.

I understood Caleb being all against Mona and he came off kinda asshatty but he had good reason and ultimately he was able to change his mind about her when the evidence changed which is why I liked Caleb.  He can be a world class dick but then turn it around in a believable way.  Unlike Ezra who was just being his usually pretentious self telling Aria to abandon her friends and run off with him.  

I liked the Mary Drake stuff as well.  She is exactly the kind of person who would just say 'fuck it' and take on everything herself for Spencer.  This is the closest she can ever be to being Spencer's mother so I give her props for it.    Tanner was all ready to arrest the Liars but then Mary Drake just walked in with more then enough evidence to get Tanner off their backs.  I don't find it anticlimactic at all.

For Once Aria has the best scene.  Driving her car talking to the dead body in the trunk.  I laughed out loud a few times.  

All in all I thought this was a great second to last episode of a show I have enjoyed since the pilot.   I will miss it.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Peanut6711 said:

I was super confused about this statement too. Does that mean that he's implying that because he reads books, he knows everything to keep Aria out of jail? Or was he shading people with English degrees for having to get through a lot of shit because he went to school for reading? Either way, Ezra can go suck it. I'm surprised he didn't want to stick around so he could write his third book. I swear, next week's finale is going to end on Ezra typing up the final line to his third book, which will be a mystery about a stalker called D. A. Oh, and how Ezra and Aria (no name change necessary, clearly) fought valiantly against D.A, saved everyone, and lived happily ever after.

I'm not surprised that this episode accomplished virtually nothing. This entire season has been essentially worthless. This season should have been closing doors and being more cohesive and interesting, not boring as hell and ship pandering. I'm sorry that I don't care about Mary Drake sacrificing herself for Spencer and her friends. Frankly, at this point, I wished they all went to jail. I'm more annoyed with how much time we've spent on Spencer and Mary. I wish they never did this storyline because I just don't care. I wanted Mary to be working for A.D and being genuinely evil.

This episode made it seem like they're going to wrap up everything in a nice little bow, with Charlotte's killer being revealed and A.D driving away into the sunset with her dolls. 

Spencer, thanks for reminding Caleb that their relationship wasn't fake. He seemed to forget about that aspect. Not that I liked the relationship, but I do like the actors' dynamic. Same with Tyler and Janel. I forgot how much fun their scenes are together. Caleb's never taken shit from Mona, and she's somewhat respected him for it. I do get Caleb's reasons for being hard on Mona, as well as thinking that he was kind of being a dick. But I do like that he did come around in the end because he did see the genuine fear in Mona. She was scared of being the middle man, not having any power, being the victim, but also having nobody to believe her, or to be her friend. What Charlotte said to Mona in the flashback was harsh, but so true. She wasn't friends with the Liars and she's basically been all alone. 

I love Mona so her going back to being unstable was both fun and sad for me. Hanna, by bringing Mona back to play the game, essentially broke her. For a moment, I did buy Marlene's fakeout twist that Mona might not have killed Spencer, but then I realized that they'd have to either bring in someone at the end of the episode to justify the promo saying that we'd find out the killer, or it would be someone random like Tanner or Ali. I do enjoy Mona's complexities. She has a lot of genuine layers and even though she's done shitty things, she doesn't really have anyone in her court and she does have a mental illness on top of it. I always wondered if she was faking it to some extent (more like playing it up), but this episode really had me believe it. No way would Mona willingly go back to Loser Mona. 

I am glad that they actually went with Charlotte being unredeemable by the end. Vanessa Ray is a good actress, and I liked seeing one last Charlotte appearance. Man, though, how interesting could it have been if Charlotte did try to fool Ali and the girls with Mona trying to convince them otherwise, and then her death could have happened at the end of season 6 instead? Then, season 7 could have been about who killed Charlotte? 

I did enjoy Aria talking to the body in the trunk. What a fun scene. 

So, it might be official: Ali's not my least favourite anymore. That role now belongs to Emily. No matter what she does now, she just pisses me right off. 

• Love 4

Toby not appearing in the penultimate episode, especially when we go to Two Crows? I guess Mona's eyes were pretty enough.

Them writing that flash forward as Emily's nightmare reeks of a total rewrite.  I didn't think 6x10 could get retroactively worse, but they managed to make its cliffhanger have no plot relevance.

Spencer's apparently super chillax now because the climax needs her happy and moved on, even though Caleb never tried to marry her in a month. But whom cares?

So AD lures them into a trap, even after finding out Mona is the culprit? Reasonably sure AD arranged for Mary Drake to turn herself in as their "reward". (Btw, why were they allowed to watch Mary Drake's confession? Tanner apparently has an unprofessional soft spot for them all now and doesn't want them to turn out as criminals? LOL).

Hope CeCe enjoys a picnic in hell. Show didn't even need to reveal Mona did it in self-defense, would've been just as heroic if it was intentional. It's Mona's story.

The meeting with Sullivan (cool if she's actually part of the cast next week) will likely not go as planned. AD will be out for Mona blood, and hopefully the Liars aren't too selfish with their romance montages to do her a solid.

Glad they were able to tie off so many storylines, albeit in the usual PLL way. Now they can't go off the pacing rails with a two hour special. Oops, jinxed it.

• Love 2
(edited)

So this episode happened. Next week it's over forever right? 

Also what the hell with the character of Charlottle/Charles? For all of the bs in season five about how she's not evil because of the past.. now Charlottle is completely an evil person? Right? Based on that monologue to Mona? Otherwise what?

I really cannot believe these final episodes were like this. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2

Loved Aria talking to dead Dunhill, that was funny. Almost makes up for all the time I spent hating her this season but she’s still a selfish snake, but Ezra just yells at the girls and guilts them into forgiving her and of course they do because why should anyone actually be upset with people who hurt and betray them.  

Speaking of Ezra…. he and his Masters degree in American literature can fuck right off. And he can take Caleb with him. I’m tired of these hypocritical dummies thinking they know what’s best for the girls. Maybe if Caleb didn’t jump the gun and approach Mona at the diner and creepily eat her pie before Spencer and Hanna were ready, they could have caught whoever was meeting her there but Caleb knows best. 

What was with Ali and Emily’s utter shock and disbelief that they could both fall asleep at the same time? Has that never happened before? Have they been sleeping in shifts since they got together? I mean I get that it was the gas or whatever being pumped into the house that made them fall asleep (did they ever figure that out btw? is that still there?) but two people falling asleep on a couch after a long day of acting like idiots isn’t exactly shocking.  

Wasn't really moved by Mary's sacrificing herself for Spencer. I just don’t buy that there’s this super close important bond between Spencer and Mary just because they’re biologically related. I actually kind of hate this whole storyline and wish they never bothered with it. Also Mary didn't kill Dunhill but she's not exactly innocent so her being in jail just seems fitting. Then again half the town should probably be in jail

Mona being Charlotte’s killer was one of the most anti-climatic reveals ever on this show. The promotional photos the network released last week even spoiled it. 

Big day for Alison… she finds out who killed her mom and her sister. 

And so Charlotte never got better. No surprise there. Did she want Archer to hurt Alison then? I wish we got Alison’s reaction to that little bit of information because she wasted 5 years of her life taking care of someone who apparently was playing her the whole time and Charlotte's love for Alison was supposed to be a big part of her motive for torturing the girls so if that wasn't true, they should have expanded on it. 

LOL at the flash forward being a dream. Guess they got all the way to the second to last episode before they remembered that was a thing they had to deal with. 

• Love 8

They didn't show Mona actually throw Charlotte out of the steeple, so I'm thinking A.D. helped.    Did Mona even bother to check for a pulse ?

I'm thinking there was a lot edited out of this episode -- because one moment Mona is mad-dashing out the secret door in the bathroom, and then cuts to her being mildly catatonic in the steeple (after having changed clothes and braided her hair and buying flowers and climbing the steeple stairs).  Was Mona traumatized by A.D. in the tunnels ?

They never did show where that tunnel exit was -- the last we saw was Caleb and Spencer in the tunnel, and then next we see them running up the steeple stairs.  The Two Crows is a well outside of beautiful downtown Rosewood, so how long did it take to walk the tunnels.  Plus who has been maintaining that tunnel system, because all the lightbulbs worked and it was REALLY REALLY clean (for a tunnel).

1 hour ago, AftermathTV said:

Them writing that flash forward as Emily's nightmare reeks of a total rewrite.  I didn't think 6x10 could get retroactively worse, but they managed to make its cliffhanger have no plot relevance.

That really was the worst.  How could that have been Emily's dream if she was the 3rd person in the classroom after Alison and Aria ?  And plus that dream was substantially different than the 6x10 end scene -- does that mean that Emily has been having that dream for 5 years ?

Did A.D. gas Emily and Alison in Alison's house so that the game could be moved in ?  Is gassing a pregnant woman really all that good for the baby ?
Even worse was that at no point was either of them concerned that A.D. had been in the house ?

So that preview clip of A.D. driving the tractor with the front-end loader was just complete and utter bullshit since it didn't happen in the episode.   It was 

And we can add to A.D.'s skillset mad augmented reality programming skillz ?  WTF ?

• Love 1

More to say because for a second to last episode.. ugh. Yeah of all this episode was more terrible than good. I mean sure Aria talking to a dead guy is good for a laugh but eh.

Also Ezra yelling at the girls to suck up Ariaa betrayal, like shut up and sit down. Unless he dies in the finale or something I'm going to be pretty pissed I legit wasted seven years watching a creepy relationship end up as a damn fairytale. Like ew. 

And sorry Spencer I wish I could forget you and Caleb ever were a thing. You guys barley were and half of your romance was you two talking about missed moments of the past and then (not) breaking up for five episodes. Sometimes you hooked up and talked about coffee but really.. ugh.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, SadieT said:

Big day for Alison… she finds out who killed her mom and her sister. 

Who knows ? Maybe Alison's mom was also her sister.  Because A.D. invented a time machine and went back in time to fuck with the PLLs before they were born.  </sarcasm>

4 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Who knows ? Maybe Alison's mom was also her sister.  Because A.D. invented a time machine and went back in time to fuck with the PLLs before they were born.  </sarcasm>

Charlotte's technically now Alison's cousin, but Mona didn't know at the time.

So Melissa buried a body for Spencer thinking that she killed Ali/Bethany and then Mary Drake confesses to murder so that Spencer and her friends can go free.  Talk about having some ride or die people in your corner. 

Ezra remains the worst.  Caleb was only slightly better but he's starting to act like a creep.  Interesting pan over the "House of Hastings."  Mona is the best. 

That's all I've got tonight.

• Love 8

“I have a master’s degree in American Literature, there is nothing I can’t handle.” Oh Ezra, this may be the funniest line in the show, ever.

Is it my imagination, or are they shooting Sasha strangely? They only shoot her from the boobs up, & they had her sitting on the couch covered in a blanket for a big chunk of the show.

Why is Mona suddenly insane? That's what they decided to do with her character after all this time? 

So Detective Tanner is just fine with Mary Drake taking the blame for everything? She's been after them for a long time, she woke up a judge, got arrest warrants for all the liars, brought them all in, & then, "never mind"

I honestly don't even know what any of the stories are any more, I'm so glad next week it's done, but have no idea what they're going to do for 2 hours.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I think one of the hours next week is a special retrospective thing.

The episode is 2 hours and then there's a 1 hour special following the episode so get ready for 3 whole hours of PLL and approximately 3 whole minutes of relevant action! 

• Love 6

Did Caleb get his lips done? What's with all the duckface when he confronted Mona? I was so distracted I missed anything else that happened in this episode

(edited)
30 minutes ago, SadieT said:

The episode is 2 hours and then there's a 1 hour special following the episode so get ready for 3 whole hours of PLL and approximately 3 whole minutes of relevant action! 

Okay that's ridiculous. At this point they hardly  have anything to pad the one hour episodes, how do they plan on padding it out for 2? I'm imagining a ton of music montages. 

I'm shocked that this show is getting a two hour series finale when better shows have only gotten one. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
Just now, WhosThatGirl said:

Okay that's ridiculous. At this point they barley have anything to pad the one hour episodes, how do they plan on padding it out for 2? I'm imagining a ton of music montages. 

Multi-ship sex montages and dream sequences obviously. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GaT said:

Is it my imagination, or are they shooting Sasha strangely? They only shoot her from the boobs up, & they had her sitting on the couch covered in a blanket for a big chunk of the show.

That's usually what shows do to hide an actress' pregnancy - but the character is supposed to be pregnant.  

When Mona was taunting Charlotte about how maybe after she falls, she'll land just right and survive, i so wanted her to add "just like that time you took a big fall n Ravenswood - you not only survived but even escaped with no one noticing.  How many lives to you have left - said the Catwoman to the Snake!"

• Love 1