Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: Farewell, My Lovely

2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Okay that's ridiculous. At this point they hardly  have anything to pad the one hour episodes, how do they plan on padding it out for 2? I'm imagining a ton of music montages. 

I'm shocked that this show is getting a two hour series finale when better shows have only gotten one. 

AD is definitely someone who was only available to film for the finale. That story, a few deaths, the Emison engagement, Ezria wedding, and parent/Liar schoolmate send-offs will make this two hours the most tolerable of Season 7. The first few seasons had many moving parts and characters, but ever since Season 6 it's been like the budget only has room for the Liars and one or two guest stars. Hence, the excruciating boredom. The secondary characters have been this show's crutch.

• Love 1

Ezra can STFU. Mr. "I almost hooked up with Ali when she was 14 and then I tracked down one of her friends so I could write an expose and become a famous writer" is really in no position to be telling other people who they need to forgive.

Aria talking to herself in the car was so annoying. That was like a scene out of a bad Lifetime movie. Ha, or Passions!

Why is Ali assuming that if all of them are arrested, the baby will be put into an institution like Charlotte? I'm sure that Jason or Emily's mom could be appointed the legal guardian. I hated Emily's response to Ali's concern though. "I won't let them hurt you"? Em, how are you going to protect Ali and the baby when you're in prison too? Later I was rolling my eyes when Emily incredulously asked Alison how they could have both fallen asleep at the same time. Of all the things that have happened to you in Rosewood, THAT is shocking?

Have these dummies learned nothing? They find a secret passageway and decide that the smartest thing to do is go in? And then nothing came of the tunnel except Caleb telling Spencer that he and Hanna are married. We didn't even find out where the secret passage ended. Okay then. I guess we're just supposed to go with hey, it's Rosewood so secret passages are normal. I'm still mad that we never found out how Shower was climbing down the secret passage in her hotel room if she couldn't touch anything with her hands.

JFC - they made the long promised classroom scene into a bad dream? Gawd. And for some reason, Varjak was misspelled as Varjack.

So they want me to believe that thinking about the game caused Mona to have a psychotic break which made her dress like Nerd Mona from Days of Yore? I'm totally fine with Mona being the one who killed Charlotte though. That part actually made sense - Charlotte faked her recovery just so she could get released and fuck with the PLLs even more, and Mona, who still loves Hanna more than life itself, wasn't going to let that happen. She thought she could scare Charlotte straight and then ended up accidentally killing her. Of all the murders that have happened on this show, that one seemed the most realistic.

When the game revealed where the body was supposed to be buried, I thought oh come on, girls, you know this is a set up, right? As soon as you start digging, Rosewood PD will show up to arrest you for Possession of a Shovel AGAIN. But these are the same brilliant police officers who didn't notice blood on a piece of metal that's the same size and shape as the wound on the back of the murder victim's neck.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Later I was rolling my eyes when Emily incredulously asked Alison how they could have both fallen asleep at the same time. Of all the things that have happened to you in Rosewood, THAT is shocking?

That's the most shocked I've ever seen Emily, which made me laugh really, really hard. It was definitely on par with her shock whenever she sees a dead body. 

10 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Have these dummies learned nothing? They find a secret passageway and decide that the smartest thing to do is go in? And then nothing came of the tunnel except Caleb telling Spencer that he and Hanna are married. We didn't even find out where the secret passage ended. Okay then. I guess we're just supposed to go with hey, it's Rosewood so secret passages are normal. I'm still mad that we never found out how Shower was climbing down the secret passage in her hotel room if she couldn't touch anything with her hands.

I guess the secret passageway was supposed to come out from under the church. I just looked up a picture to the board game and the secret passageway literally leads directly to the church, so I assume that it's like that with the real passageway. 

5 hours ago, GaT said:

Why is Mona suddenly insane? That's what they decided to do with her character after all this time? 

That was also ridiculous but since I love Mona and love seeing Janel Parrish in more scenes, I was ok with it. I mean, she's always been a little crazy, even if they went overboard with her psychotic break with little explanation as to why it went from 0 to 100 real quick this episode. 

5 hours ago, GaT said:

So Detective Tanner is just fine with Mary Drake taking the blame for everything? She's been after them for a long time, she woke up a judge, got arrest warrants for all the liars, brought them all in, & then, "never mind"

I guess that was their way of basically saying "Welp, this is Tanner's last episode so....here, Tanner giving up is the best way to exit her character....even though we didn't have to bring her back at all or we could have gone on a murder spree and killed a bunch of people off this season to up the stakes, including Tanner." 

On another note, why was A.D so insistent on finding Charlotte's killer? That means Mona's fate is still up in the air and I'm worried.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Snow Fairy said:

OMG, the music at the end, so corny

Awwww, I used to love the Harry Nilsson version when I was a kid! I also liked Mariah Carey's cover. Everyone was always impressed with her whistle register but this song showed her amazing breath control and showed that her lower register is excellent as well (it galls me that so many female singers these days can't seem to scrape out a note lower than middle C).

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought Ezra's line about having a Master's in Literature so being able to handle anything was meant to be funny.  And I thought it kinda was.

Mona has always been super smart but a bit crazy so I can see her resisting being drawn into the game but once she was drawn in it brought back all those aspects that made her the original A.

Tanner was by no means happy to drop the charges against the Liars but she was also a realist and knew that the DA was much more likely to accept Mary Drake a woman with a history of mental illness and who would confess to two murders with believable reasons then five girls with hinky motives .

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

first of all Ezra was right everyone in that room including Aria has made mistakes so the way i See it the girls had that coming for their double standard BS they did last week so in this since i agree with what Ezra said 

wtf was up with Caleb and Ezra talking again they both our either working with each other trying to find out who AD is or their up to something

that whole Master line was just a comedy line by Ezra

can we discuss how they zoom in real hard on that Hastings House like AD is connected to the Hastings some how

(edited)
7 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I think one of the hours next week is a special retrospective thing.

Say it isn't so.  Watching this show one time through was bad enough.  Watching re-run clips is like MK playing AD to the viewers--it's torture ;-) 

7 hours ago, GaT said:

So Detective Tanner is just fine with Mary Drake taking the blame for everything? She's been after them for a long time, she woke up a judge, got arrest warrants for all the liars, brought them all in, & then, "never mind"

LOL  Yeah I bet that judge who she woke up and pestered for all those warrants was a bit peeved when he found out his time was wasted. Sort-of like the viewers who have been watching this show expecting a satisfying resolution to the mysteries rather than a swan season romance fest. 

The only person I'd really like to see get an HEA would be Mona. I want her to get help, get healthy again, find new friends, and realize that the Liars aren't really aren't that cool to hang out with at all.   For real, after all these episodes I'm left with a really meh feeling for some of the main characters and a total YUK feeling for some others.  The girls have learned nothing; their beaus (Ezra and Caleb I'm looking at you) have become deplorable; and yet all that's probably about to be swept under the rug so we can be force fed their fairy tale epilogues in the last 2 hours.  This is one show where harsh realities needs to come before romantic shipping.  Based off everything we've seen and been told of these characters, their futures should realistically include everything from jail time to divorce to unemployment to midlife crisises.

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 2

I feel like I'm the only one who genuinely enjoyed this episode.  It actually held my attention, and had a nice mix of humor with the crazy.  Loved Aria going a little nuts talking to the dead body, and actually had a good chuckle at Ezra's Masters line.  Mona was fantastic and it was true to character.  I am going to be sad for the show to end, even though it's a little past its due date.  I am really looking forward to next week.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

The only person I'd really like to see get an HEA would be Mona. 

The only people I want to see have a HEA are the Moms (except Mary because...yeah). The Liars and assorted boyfriends have been so stupid for so long that I kinda wish AD would blow them all up.  

I felt bad for Mona. All she's ever wanted was friendship and not to be treated like crap. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Dream Boy said:

I felt bad for Mona. All she's ever wanted was friendship and not to be treated like crap. 

I really don't. Move away from high school toxicity and get new friends who aren't assholes, like everybody else does, Mona.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I really don't. Move away from high school toxicity and get new friends who aren't assholes, like everybody else does, Mona.

Ha! Yeah, pretty much. Like, girl, you deserve way better than those people you want to be friends with. You're too awesome to be bogged down by stupidity and asshole behaviour. Escape and be happy while you still can! I feel bad for Mona in the sense that she's been trying so hard to be their friend and prove herself by helping them out of their own jams, but she really needs to let it go by now. 

Sad thing is that Mona's shady and has done some pretty bad stuff, yet I still find her better than all of the Liars and their boyfriends combined. I really shouldn't like her as much as I do. I could have like Alison if she had any of the bite that she had pre-series. I just want interesting, non-whiny and non-stupid characters. I love that Charlotte saw Mona as smarter than Spencer. At this point, Spencer has as many IQ points as Emily or Aria, which is a shame, because she really used to be smarter and logical about things.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

I feel like I'm the only one who genuinely enjoyed this episode.  It actually held my attention, and had a nice mix of humor with the crazy.  Loved Aria going a little nuts talking to the dead body, and actually had a good chuckle at Ezra's Masters line.  Mona was fantastic and it was true to character.  I am going to be sad for the show to end, even though it's a little past its due date.  I am really looking forward to next week.

I really liked it too.  The episode had all the things I still like about the show.

13 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

“I have a master’s degree in American Literature; there’s nothing I can’t handle.”

WTF?  And with that one statement Ezra went from obnoxious prick to idiot baboon.  Seriously, what does that even mean??? I have a master’s in lit myself and I still have no clue what the ever loving fuck he was talking about.  Hello Mr. Fritz, there’s a corpse in your fiancé’s trunk. Deconstructing Moby Dick will not keep Aria out of jail.

Clearly MK and the writers do not have any degrees in literature or they’d write something better than this crap.  The whole “Mrs. Rollin’s” scene was nothing more than a freakin’ dream? How ‘we forgot about that scene till the viewers reminded us so we had to resolve it with the lamest plot device in literature’ of them!

It was a stupid statement, but I'm hoping he was meant to be joking about it. At the very least, I guffawed -- and as another person with a master's degree in American literature, I would totally  buy and wear a t-shirt with that quotation on it. 

10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm thinking there was a lot edited out of this episode -- because one moment Mona is mad-dashing out the secret door in the bathroom, and then cuts to her being mildly catatonic in the steeple (after having changed clothes and braided her hair and buying flowers and climbing the steeple stairs).  Was Mona traumatized by A.D. in the tunnels ?

They never did show where that tunnel exit was -- the last we saw was Caleb and Spencer in the tunnel, and then next we see them running up the steeple stairs.  The Two Crows is a well outside of beautiful downtown Rosewood, so how long did it take to walk the tunnels.  Plus who has been maintaining that tunnel system, because all the lightbulbs worked and it was REALLY REALLY clean (for a tunnel).

I'm now imagining AD living in the tunnels, Phantom of the Opera style. 

9 hours ago, GaT said:

Is it my imagination, or are they shooting Sasha strangely? They only shoot her from the boobs up, & they had her sitting on the couch covered in a blanket for a big chunk of the show.

The costume folks have taken so much (completely justified) guff since she came back for not knowing how to dress her body without making her look like a middle-aged woman having a Chico's kind of day; I think both the pregnancy and putting her under a blanket half the time are their way of getting around having to find pieces for her. 

• Love 4

So people revert to established behavior when they panic, and Aria's panic caused her to become A...

I don't remember what the line was exactly, but there's a point where Spencer says something about finding AD near the end, and then she and Aria stare at each other for roughly eighteen hours before leaving the room. That, combined with the bizarre conversation Aria had with Wrick's corpse, makes me wonder what's cooking for her character.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, DigitalCount said:

So people revert to established behavior when they panic, and Aria's panic caused her to become A...

I don't remember what the line was exactly, but there's a point where Spencer says something about finding AD near the end, and then she and Aria stare at each other for roughly eighteen hours before leaving the room. That, combined with the bizarre conversation Aria had with Wrick's corpse, makes me wonder what's cooking for her character.

She crazy.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

That's the most shocked I've ever seen Emily, which made me laugh really, really hard. It was definitely on par with her shock whenever she sees a dead body. 

I guess the secret passageway was supposed to come out from under the church. I just looked up a picture to the board game and the secret passageway literally leads directly to the church, so I assume that it's like that with the real passageway. 

That was also ridiculous but since I love Mona and love seeing Janel Parrish in more scenes, I was ok with it. I mean, she's always been a little crazy, even if they went overboard with her psychotic break with little explanation as to why it went from 0 to 100 real quick this episode. 

I guess that was their way of basically saying "Welp, this is Tanner's last episode so....here, Tanner giving up is the best way to exit her character....even though we didn't have to bring her back at all or we could have gone on a murder spree and killed a bunch of people off this season to up the stakes, including Tanner." 

On another note, why was A.D so insistent on finding Charlotte's killer? That means Mona's fate is still up in the air and I'm worried.

Basically it's the writers using Tanner to wrap as much as possible before the finale.

9 hours ago, AftermathTV said:

AD is definitely someone who was only available to film for the finale. That story, a few deaths, the Emison engagement, Ezria wedding, and parent/Liar schoolmate send-offs will make this two hours the most tolerable of Season 7. The first few seasons had many moving parts and characters, but ever since Season 6 it's been like the budget only has room for the Liars and one or two guest stars. Hence, the excruciating boredom. The secondary characters have been this show's crutch.

I think 1 of those hours is a series retrospective, other than that, it's pretty much as predictable as expected.

(edited)

Mona is crazy! Aria is crazy! I think I'm crazy for still watching this!

What's the biggest anti climax? That Mona is the killer of Charlotte? That Charlotte was still evil after she got out of jail? That the sequence that started the whole season and the entire time jump was just a freaking dream sequence? And it was Emily's dream sequence even? I think the answer is...all of the above! Wow, that was seriously the saddest series of reveals since the last series of sad reveals on this show. Everything about this show is just sadly limping towards its ending, like the last cross country runner in a long ass race in the final half mile of the race who knows they've lost, no longer care, and they just want to be DONE.

That being said, I did actually kind of like this episode, in that it was back to the total crazy that I signed up for. We get Aria ranting to a dead body, we get Mona full on losing her mind (which is mainly just sad really), we get increasing levels of tech savvy with the Monopoly Board of the Damned, and all kinds of weirdness.

I can only assume that Ezra was making a joke about being able to handle everything because of his Masters in American Lit, because its a pretty common joke among English majors (myself included) that our degrees are pretty useless in any real life situation...unless someone needs a sonnet explained! Than its our time to shine! Of course, we have never seen that kind of self deprecating sense of humor from Ezra before, so its also totally possible that he really believes that his precious Masters degree can make him an expert in literally anything. Also, I love the detail that he's an American Lit Major, and not just a generic English or Literature major. Like, what, was War and Peace too long for you, Ezra? Wuthering Heights a little too familiar?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Mona is crazy! Aria is crazy! I think I'm crazy for still watching this!

What's the biggest anti climax? That Mona is the killer of Charlotte? That Charlotte was still evil after she got out of jail? That the sequence that started the whole season and the entire time jump was just a freaking dream sequence? And it was Emily's dream sequence even? I think the answer is...all of the above! Wow, that was seriously the saddest series of reveals since the last series of sad reveals on this show. Everything about this show is just sadly limping towards its ending, like the last cross country runner in a long ass race in the final half mile of the race who knows they've lost, no longer care, and they just want to be DONE.

That being said, I did actually kind of like this episode, in that it was back to the total crazy that I signed up for. We get Aria ranting to a dead body, we get Mona full on losing her mind (which is mainly just sad really), we get increasing levels of tech savvy with the Monopoly Board of the Damned, and all kinds of weirdness.

I can only assume that Ezra was making a joke about being able to handle everything because of his Masters in American Lit, because its a pretty common joke among English majors (myself included) that our degrees are pretty useless in any real life situation...unless someone needs a sonnet explained! Than its our time to shine! Of course, we have never seen that kind of self deprecating sense of humor from Ezra before, so its also totally possible that he really believes that his precious Masters degree can make him an expert in literally anything. Also, I live the detail that he's an American Lit Major, and not just a generic English or Literature major. Like, what, was War and Peace too long for you, Ezra? Wuthering Heights a little too familiar?

The anti climax happened a long time ago, it's just limping to the end, or in this case, rushing to close out as many plots as possible after dragging the series out for so long.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DigitalCount said:

That, combined with the bizarre conversation Aria had with Wrick's corpse, makes me wonder what's cooking for her character.

I'd like to think that instead of Wrollins, she was actually having a conversation with her dark lord Pigtunia.  I really wanted her to look at the passenger seat and see the puppet sitting there talking back.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Free said:

I think 1 of those hours is a series retrospective, other than that, it's pretty much as predictable as expected.

It was already said, in this thread, that it's a 3 hour event. Please research.

When Mona flashed back to killing Charlotte, then looked at the back of her neck, I totally thought that Mona was going to see that Charlotte was actually someone else wearing one of those Mission Impossible masks all along.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, at least I laughed a lot watching this episode. None of the hilarious moments were intentional, I don't think, but a guy should take whatever enjoyment he can from trainwrecks like that.

Once again the murderer's motivation is "Well, I have mental problems, so there". Charlotte's dialogue with Mona was hilarious from start to finish. Gotta love how Mona is one episode a bona fide genius who is much more of a real adult than the Liars and another becomes loser Mona who cowers in corners and is still bitter they don't want to be her friends. And this is not depth because it's entirely dependent on plot necessity, not consistent characterization.

Why is Ali assuming that if all of them are arrested, the baby will be put into an institution like Charlotte? I'm sure that Jason or Emily's mom could be appointed the legal guardian. I hated Emily's response to Ali's concern though. "I won't let them hurt you"? Em, how are you going to protect Ali and the baby when you're in prison too? Later I was rolling my eyes when Emily incredulously asked Alison how they could have both fallen asleep at the same time. Of all the things that have happened to you in Rosewood, THAT is shocking?

Yes, I rolled my eyes so hard at this scene that they almost fell off. And why was Emily's dream from Ali's point of view anyway? So silly and contrived.

Spencer taking in stride Mary's confession of murdering her own twin sister made me want to puke. And of course, the police buying the story of Mary randomly deciding to take a shower in someone else's home was not surprising at all, yet so absurdly unintentionally funny.

Also hilarious - last episode everyone was pissed at Aria, now they all love her again because... why exactly? Because the finale is coming?

Yet another laugh out loud moment - "I am giving you this creepy motel, so you can pay all the lawyer fees, daughter. Even though your parents are a) millionaires and b) lawyers ".

So Charlotte fooled her doctors. Another fine showing by the psychiatry specialists in Rosewood. And I guess that makes Charlotte's story even more "heartbreakingly beautiful", Marlene. Oh, wait, it doesn't.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 3

The reveal that Mona killed Charlotte was so well-acted that I can even look past the predictability...almost. But sorry, I don't buy at all that Mona would sit on that and let Hanna get abducted and potentially killed over it. This reveal makes her entire attitude in 7x01 completely uncharacteristic.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, marinaalexis said:

The reveal that Mona killed Charlotte was so well-acted that I can even look past the predictability...almost. But sorry, I don't buy at all that Mona would sit on that and let Hanna get abducted and potentially killed over it. This reveal makes her entire attitude in 7x01 completely uncharacteristic.

When they took a vote, Mona received one but laughed it off like it was ridiculous.

If they were going to bring mentally ill Mona back, maybe she should've been like that in the flashback after Charlotte pushed it out of her, and then she'd have complete amnesia about the incident. Which would be the best excuse for why she only fessed up after slipping back into that mode again. Idk maybe that's what happened, show kept it vague. Wouldn't blame Mona for saving her own skin anyways, considering AD was going pretty easy on the Liars aside from the rape. Whereas if she was caught, instant revenge murder.

The thing that doesn't add up is why AD didn't include Mona in the group of suspects to torture from the get-go. She testified and was one of the victims at the doll house. As well as a former A. For AD to overlook a key player like that is just bullshit.

• Love 3

Everyone thinking Mona deserves better than the liars is funny because she's murdered two people and attempted to murder a couple more...I admit to being one of those people who love the character and let my fondness for her and all her wackiness cloud my opinion of her but in all honesty, Mona deserves to be locked up in a mental institution (a real one where she can get help) because she's proved that she's a danger to others. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, SadieT said:

Everyone thinking Mona deserves better than the liars is funny because she's murdered two people and attempted to murder a couple more...I admit to being one of those people who love the character and let my fondness for her and all her wackiness cloud my opinion of her but in all honesty, Mona deserves to be locked up in a mental institution (a real one where she can get help) because she's proved that she's a danger to others. 

True. I agree that she needs some serious help because she can be a danger to others. I just think that I prefer her attitude of owning her behaviour to the Liars pretending that they're so much better than people like Mona and AD, when they're just as much dangers to society as Mona. They killed people and covered up each of those murders, don't forget. Mona's killed two people but both times were accidents, just in a slightly different manner. 

But yeah, it's hard because I can acknowledge Mona's wrongdoings but still want her getting a happily ever after ending because I still love her over the Liars. If she deserves to be in a mental institution (which she really does), then the Liars deserve to be in jail. Unfortunately, the Liars sticking in jail for all the crimes they committed is never going to happen. They're going to get away with so many crimes. I mean, would A/Mona, Uber A/Cece or A.D/currently unknown be able to manipulate the girls as much as they have done if they WERE innocent and didn't have as many secrets? If they went to the police or went to an adult at any point to tell them about what was going on at any point during the series and the multiple A's, then they wouldn't have as many problems as they do. Instead, they half ass with trying, taking their time in going to tell someone with the evidence and when A intervenes, they say "Oh no! I guess we're screwed!" and they give up.

• Love 5

I like that Hanna didn't automatically believe the worst in Mona, that she was still giving Mona the benefit of the doubt about being A--their friendship might not have always been the healthiest, but Mona and Hanna have a deep bond that's never really gone away.  I also liked that Spencer was speaking so gently and trying to help--that's the Spencer I love :)

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

True. I agree that she needs some serious help because she can be a danger to others. I just think that I prefer her attitude of owning her behaviour to the Liars pretending that they're so much better than people like Mona and AD, when they're just as much dangers to society as Mona. They killed people and covered up each of those murders, don't forget. Mona's killed two people but both times were accidents, just in a slightly different manner. 

But yeah, it's hard because I can acknowledge Mona's wrongdoings but still want her getting a happily ever after ending because I still love her over the Liars. If she deserves to be in a mental institution (which she really does), then the Liars deserve to be in jail. Unfortunately, the Liars sticking in jail for all the crimes they committed is never going to happen. They're going to get away with so many crimes. I mean, would A/Mona, Uber A/Cece or A.D/currently unknown be able to manipulate the girls as much as they have done if they WERE innocent and didn't have as many secrets? If they went to the police or went to an adult at any point to tell them about what was going on at any point during the series and the multiple A's, then they wouldn't have as many problems as they do. Instead, they half ass with trying, taking their time in going to tell someone with the evidence and when A intervenes, they say "Oh no! I guess we're screwed!" and they give up.

Mona doesn't always own her bad behavior though. She encouraged Ali to run and play dead and then let everyone grieve her as if she were really dead. Killing Bethany was an accident only in that she accidentally killed the wrong blonde girl and didn't tell anyone for years. She was trying to kill Alison...intentionally. Killing Charlotte may have been an accident but her rage that led to the accident was real. She also let Hanna stay kidnapped and be tortured when she could have put a stop to it by fessing up but instead she let someone else take the fall. She also could have stopped the liars from playing the game and suffering all the consequences (like forced unwanted pregnancies) had she been honest  

I mean I get it, I fall into the pity trap when it comes to Mona too and I love watching her outsmart the liars and just be all around better than everyone, but it's just interesting that for most of the fandom some characters are completely irredeemable for their transgressions but someone like Mona who was literally A and murdered a few people gets a pass. 

• Love 2

Ezra lecturing everyone about not forgiving Aria instantly for betraying them and choosing her stupid fiancé over her best friends was seriously one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on this show, and we all know how impressive THAT is. Like, dude, your the guy who fell in obsessive love with a 15 year old, than deliberately slept with her also underage friend to use her for a book deal. You have no moral high ground. I swear, if there was any justice in this world, everywhere Ezra went, he would be followed by people not subtly coughing things like "tool", "dickhead", or "prick" into their arms as he walks by.

• Love 10

Overall, pretty disappointed and worried that next week is going to be terrible.

I was bummed that Tanner didn't make a final attempt at getting them to crack. When she left them all in a room together I was shocked, because a good detective will split them all up into different interview rooms. Then letting them watch Mary Drake's confession handed them the story. She could have put them individual rooms, pocketed Mary Drake's confession, and put one last squeeze on them to see how all over the place their stories would have obviously been without legal representation. Okay Spencer would have had a lawyer, and Ali because she's already gone through the whole arrest-conviction-jail thing and knows she'd need one.

Reading through the comments reminded me that Emily and Alison had some scenes in this episode, THAT is how boring they are. 

That diner scene with Mona got my spidey senses tingling about Caleb again, tho! It's a shame he was only briefly in play as a villain in season one and Ravenswood kinda removed him from the list of viable candidates. Not that they didn't have enough tarmac to make him suspicious, even for a half season, but they would have had to act like Ravenswood never happened. Which like, I'm pretty much fine with? 

Ezra can fuck right off forever and ever. God. I think I might hate him more than Dawn Summers and Connor. And him and Caleb have really cornered the market on talking down to women. I am guessing the showrunners were trying to make them look protective, but considering one of the strong themes of this show is women's agency over their lives and bodies and how the patriarchy is always trying to put women in their place, they can take their infantilization over to Ravenswood.

I was very upset that Marlene et al doubled-down on the transgender villainy of Charlotte. Killing trans people on TV is something that should maybe happen in the first five minutes of an episode of Law & Order, but never after a crazed, vindictive rant. After the blow up over 6x10, I'm pretty shocked that they could be so insensitive or, frankly, ignorant of how their show has done a complete 180 on good LGBT representation. Or maybe they give no fucks because all of their relationships, even the lesbian one, are terrible!

Which brings me, last but not least, to Mona. I'm just really disappointed that went full looney bin with her. Not at all shocked she killed Charlotte, even accidentally, but then to make her confession come in the form of a breakdown makes me anxious about where they are going with her. I was really hoping that, at the end of the series, she'd get a nice send-off with a profession that has baller insurance and will allow her to get the mental health care she needs. It just doesn't sit right with me that she might be just a tragic figure when it's all over.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

So Charlotte fooled her doctors. Another fine showing by the psychiatry specialists in Rosewood. And I guess that makes Charlotte's story even more "heartbreakingly beautiful", Marlene. Oh, wait, it doesn't.

It just shows that adults/authority figures in Rosewood are, to quote Principal Snyder, deeply stupid. Are we supposed to believe that Wrollins thought that Charlotte was cured or that he knew she was still hellbent on revenge and he was totally fine with it? I guess there weren't any other doctors who needed to corroborate his assessment of Charlotte or the other doctors were just as stupid as Rosewood PD.

I suspect that this "twist" was Marlene's way of showing us that Charlotte was soooooo smart. You know, to go along with how she was a gazillionaire thanks to her financial genius.

• Love 2

You know the more I read all over the internet the more I have to wonder how can anything the liars did still be justify as self defense it just feels like people think the liars can do no wrong even if the evidence smack them in the face sorry off topic a bit something I read on twitter

I suspect that this "twist" was Marlene's way of showing us that Charlotte was soooooo smart. You know, to go along with how she was a gazillionaire thanks to her financial genius.

Yes, that was obviously the idea but the joke is on Marlene since even idiots like Ezra Fitz can easily outwit the Rosewood authorities. And if Charlotte is so smart how come she waited for five years instead of, you know, escaping the psychiatric institution? The whole thing reeks of yet another retcon.

When she left them all in a room together I was shocked, because a good detective will split them all up into different interview rooms.

Why would you be shocked then? Tanner is a good detective about as much as Peter Hastings is a faithful husband.

But yeah, it's hard because I can acknowledge Mona's wrongdoings but still want her getting a happily ever after ending because I still love her over the Liars. If she deserves to be in a mental institution (which she really does), then the Liars deserve to be in jail. Unfortunately, the Liars sticking in jail for all the crimes they committed is never going to happen. They're going to get away with so many crimes. I mean, would A/Mona, Uber A/Cece or A.D/currently unknown be able to manipulate the girls as much as they have done if they WERE innocent and didn't have as many secrets?

The Liars are mostly guilty of plot induced stupidity and obstruction of justice as a result of that. Mona has been actively malicious to completely innocent people many, many times. I honestly have no idea why Mona is so depressed they don't want to be her friends or why she came back to Rosewood or why she is confident as hell one minute and falls apart the next. Basically, I think her characterization is just as bad as the Liars' characterization (after season 2, that is) but we don't see her nearly as often and she is allowed to have relatively smart plans from time to time unlike them, so she comes across better.

I mean I get it, I fall into the pity trap when it comes to Mona too and I love watching her outsmart the liars and just be all around better than everyone, but it's just interesting that for most of the fandom some characters are completely irredeemable for their transgressions but someone like Mona who was literally A and murdered a few people gets a pass. 

Yes, sorry but I am never going to agree that (for example) Caleb talking down to Hanna is horrible but Mona is "Vanderjesus", even though she has betrayed and tormented Hanna far worse and many times to boot.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

The Liars are mostly guilty of plot induced stupidity and obstruction of justice as a result of that. Mona has been actively malicious to completely innocent people many, many times. I honestly have no idea why Mona is so depressed they don't want to be her friends or why she came back to Rosewood or why she is confident as hell one minute and falls apart the next. Basically, I think her characterization is just as bad as the Liars' characterization (after season 2, that is) but we don't see her nearly as often and she is allowed to have relatively smart plans from time to time unlike them, so she comes across better.

This is all true. The show's writing is pretty horrible. It's never consistent and they seem to be writing on a whim, with no clear direction on where they're going. Unfortunately, that's just the show, and that's why it'll never win any screen writing awards. 

I think people liking Mona is the same as people wanting High School Ali back. Both are horrible, horrible people, and there's no doubt that we shouldn't be rooting for them if they were real people. But I'm watching this show for entertainment. I've long since accepted that it's not a show I should be looking to for life choices or to accept as realistic in any sense. Some shows, I am able to judge them accordingly and say that I don't like behaviour like this. But Pretty Little Liars is a show that I watch differently; I just don't want to be bored. New Ali is boring. The Liars whine and complain and act like they're innocent, and that's boring. The couples piss me off because they're also boring to me. I find no entertainment to watch five different scenes of a couple being romantic. I'm here for the mystery, the suspense, and the little action they give. I'm also here for the friendships. So Mona, for me, is interesting because she's fun to watch. Bitchy Ali was fun to watch. 

I accept my biases and embrace them. Other shows, I probably wouldn't, but PLL is my entertainment show. It's not a good show by any means, so I'm here to have fun and enjoy watching scenes. I'm not here for Mopey Spencer wanting a relationship with her bio mom that she just met, or boring Emison falling in love with a baby whose father is unknown, or Hanna whining and complaining in every scene. The show used to have a much better balance, but now, I'm just trudging along to get through the season until next week's finale, so it can finally be over. 

Also, Mona is the ONLY one to get information and move the plot along. Everyone else takes about six additional episodes to get anything done, while Mona gets it done in her one episode. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I've often rooted for bad people over good people on tv.  It's tv not real life.  Sometimes the bad people are more fun, better actors, or I just plain feel like it,  in this case Mona is a hoot to watch and I enjoyed this episode because I could see her trying to help the Liars while at the same time trying to hurt them herself.  It is the duality of Mona that has always been entertaining.

i would forgive the show everything if Ali is AD and she never actually reformed and has been playing everyone from the start.  That from the start this has been her game.  Always Alison playing games.  

Yes I would forgive the show everything.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

i would forgive the show everything if Ali is AD and she never actually reformed and has been playing everyone from the start.  That from the start this has been her game.  Always Alison playing games.

I feel the exact same way. This is the only answer I'll be totally satisfied with. It's a huge betrayal, it would be shocking since they've gone to such lengths to make her "good Ali" now, it would make sense, and there are clues that go all the way back to the beginning. 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, marinaalexis said:

I feel the exact same way. This is the only answer I'll be totally satisfied with. It's a huge betrayal, it would be shocking since they've gone to such lengths to make her "good Ali" now, it would make sense, and there are clues that go all the way back to the beginning. 

Plus it would make that Alison spinoff suddenly interesting Aka Better Call Saul.  What was Alison doing in those years she went missing?   With flashbacks to her growing up and possibly add Charles in there as well.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:07 PM, AftermathTV said:

It was already said, in this thread, that it's a 3 hour event. Please research.

I was basing it off in the schedule.

Edited by Free
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Plus it would make that Alison spinoff suddenly interesting Aka Better Call Saul.  What was Alison doing in those years she went missing?   With flashbacks to her growing up and possibly add Charles in there as well.

It drives me crazy that since Ali got back, the others have never asked her basic questions like, "Sooooooo what were you doing all that time that you were hiding and randomly spying on us? How did you afford to keep getting manicures? Where were you sleeping?"

• Love 4
(edited)

I think we need to look closer at that confession with mary Drake and start connecting some Dots she knew way to much information about Archer Dunhill death I know she might not be the obvious choice but some stuff adds up with her

Edited by Froippi

Surprise, surprise, the writers made the flash forward a dream because they never had a plan for it to begin with. 

“I’ll be super honest with you — that was one of those things we didn’t have a well thought-out plan for,” King tells TVLine. “We did know that we wanted to leave that 6A finale giving the fans a sense of urgency and a little bit of a jumpstart into the time jump. And we really struggled, because we didn’t know what that was at the time. We really struggled as a writers room to fit it into the post-time jump world. Ultimately, in an homage to the horror aspect of Pretty Little Liars, we decided that we could just have fun with it as a dream sequence.”

King credits executive producer Joseph Dougherty, who wrote the penultimate episode, with the idea of presenting it as a dream.

“I thought it was a great homage to how much Emily cares about Alison,” she explains. “Attacking it from an emotional standpoint, instead of from a plot or mystery standpoint, was what made it work and what made it rewarding for fans.”

Source

I like how Marlene admits that they often don't have a well thought-out plan for things because it definitely shows. 

• Love 5

Maybe I didn't get my point across well, so let me clarify - liking Mona (or any other villainous character) is perfectly fine. I myself still miss Ian the creepy milk-drinker. It's just that I don't think she deserves a better, or at least as good of an ending, than her victims.

“I’ll be super honest with you — that was one of those things we didn’t have a well thought-out plan for,”

Let's also be super honest - by "those things" she means "literally everything we put in our scripts".

• Love 6

That explains why nothing on this show made a lick of fucking sense! They just made up garbage and painted themselves into a corner with stuff like that and then couldn't figure out how to explain what it meant or how it related so they scrambled to cover their asses.

• Love 2

Interesting / funny theory:  Wrick's body was never in Aria's trunk.  She just hallucinated the entire thing.  Writing-wise, it's horrible because once again it's relying on "she's crazy" to explain plot holes, but at least it explains how the body rapidly moved from her car into Charles's grave - it didn't, it was already there.

3 hours ago, SadieT said:

King credits executive producer Joseph Dougherty, who wrote the penultimate episode, with the idea of presenting it as a dream.

You misspelled "blames".  I'm sure they were hoping people would forget it and they could drop it, but Tumblr persisted.

• Love 4