Type keyword(s) to search

Anne In The Media: She Was In Pursuit Of Fame, Not Filthy Lucre

(edited)

This article pretty much sums up my feelings about Anne with an E as an adaptation. Bonus points for not holding up the 1985 series as perfect.

ETA: Very annoying to see L M Montgomery familiarly referred to as "Lucy" -- as I understand it in any case she went by Maud.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
fixing link
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

This article pretty much sums up my feelings about Anne with an E as an adaptation. Bonus points for not holding up the 1985 series as perfect.

The link doesn't work. It's URL just repeats the title of the thread. I'd love to see the article.

(edited)
On 5/17/2017 at 9:56 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

Thank you -- sorry about that -- fixed.

Thanks for the link -- excellent piece.

Despite yeoman's work done by most of the cast (especially Anne, Marilla and Matthew) I've found this adaptation shallow and melodramatic, Anne as over the top Hollywood victim, triggered into bouts of mania, her brilliant verbal gymnastics now a sign of PTSD.  Beckett ignored (or didn't grasp,  is my guess) the biggest challenge with the material; the way it can so easily crumble into the sentimental or slick. It's not a brute of a book; it's delicate, and that's the hardest thing to capture.  (And to be clear, I'm not ranting about adding darker elements -- go ahead, chase them down - but what are Anne's flashbacks, if they expand on the spirit of the book, instead of ignoring it? What are her memories, minus the 1950s horror movie victimology, the cheap  "I BEEN NEAR FED A RAT BUT LET'S TALK ABOUT THE WHITE WAY!!" now cartoonishly driving her complex story?)   And it all feels -- oh the fucking irony, given the ham-handed intrusion of modern feminism -- very male gaze: the manic pixie dream girl, the triggered yapping loon, Anne with an E(lavil).

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5
On 5/17/2017 at 11:45 PM, Camera One said:

Did you end up finishing the series?

I still have the recordings but I haven't seen much because after the beginning of episode 2 everything I have seen (and read in the episode threads) is off-putting to me. I skipped to the end of episode 2 and watched the last scene with the signing of the Cuthbert family bible (trampling all over the book which preserves Anne's identity as Anne Shirley), and then the beginning of episode 3 where everyone so far seems to be meaner than the meanest Pye in the book. When Anne was walking to school and pretending to meet everyone I was first of all disappointed that she wasn't walking with Diana, and second of all if she had to be alone I would rather have seen her engaging with the beauties of nature instead of thinking about how much her new classmates will probably like her. I know it was ironically setting us up for how unfriendly everyone was going to be, but I found both sides too heavy-handed and Anne obnoxious.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I still have the recordings but I haven't seen much because after the beginning of episode 2 everything I have seen (and read in the episode threads) is off-putting to me. 

I know what you mean.  Though it would be interesting to hear your take on the rest of this series.

I would like to see "Anne with an E" to be included into some awards, as like an Oscar or Emmy or etc etc etc.

Best producer and writer = Moira Walley-Beckett.

Best leading Actress = Amybeth McNulty.

Other Netflix-only shows are getting lots of awards, as like "The Crown" and "Orange as the New Black" but Anne with an E seems to be ignored.

What goes on with the awards?

2 hours ago, MrHammondsGhost said:

I would like to see "Anne with an E" to be included into some awards, as like an Oscar or Emmy or etc etc etc.

Best producer and writer = Moira Walley-Beckett.

Best leading Actress = Amybeth McNulty.

Other Netflix-only shows are getting lots of awards, as like "The Crown" and "Orange as the New Black" but Anne with an E seems to be ignored.

What goes on with the awards?

I saw on Amybeth McNulty's Instagram that the show (and McNulty and I think a few others) has been nominated for what I think are the Canadian equivalent of the Emmys.

Moira Walley-Beckett has posted on Instagram that post-production on Season 2 is completed, and it will be released in the fall.  Word on release dates (presumably using the same CBC/Netflix staggered format) will be coming soon.

Evidently the second season release is the reverse, as the CBC is airing it months after Netflix.

From the trailer, it looks like Gilbert is indeed traveling far afield.

I know it has been a while since we've had any news on this show, but please remember to keep discussion about future seasons in the Speculation thread.  I've moved a number of posts to that thread, but further speculative discussion in this thread may be removed.  Thanks!

(edited)

I'm sad to see some of the backlash (and not just because of the changes made) towards this series. Some of it is really ugly. I personally find the characters and the actors charming, the scenery gorgeous, and I don't mind them widening the world of Anne. I hope this show continues on, because I'm loving it. 

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 6

Despite my issues with the show, I’m glad it’s coming back. I love this version of Matthew and Marilla (and the Lyndes) so much, that I’m glad we will see more of them (and dread the day this Matthew meets his fate like book Matthew).

The show’s executive producer said that there might be a little time jump going into season three, and I hope that happens. One of my principle complaints at this point is this Anne is still too immature. I get she’s more damaged than other interpretations, but there were a couple points in this last season where I was like, “Come on. She’s not a toddler.” I hope with a time jump she grows up a little.

• Love 3

Okay. Yeah, the first season didn't come on Netflix until about two months after it started airing in Canada, and then with the second season it was the opposite. The whole season came on Netflix in the U.S. first, then two months later started airing in Canada.

It's weird that it's not more consistent.

(edited)

Interview with Helen Johns who plays Diana's mother.

https://www.tv-eh.com/2019/10/11/anne-with-an-es-helen-johns-explains-eliza-barrys-world/

HJ: After I was cast and before I saw the script, I read the novel. And [Moira Walley-Beckett] doesn’t encourage everyone to read the novels, but I picked it up because I was excited to be joining the show and I wanted to kind of know everything I could.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
On 11/1/2019 at 6:37 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:

And [Moira Walley-Beckett] doesn’t encourage everyone to read the novels

That line struck me as well.  I guess you wouldn't want the actors to be too much in the 1890s frame of mind.  It might be difficult to reconcile the sets/costuming with the dialogue that needs to be delivered earnestly.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

I don't know if this is necessarily the end.  CBC and Netflix are ending the partnership over the show according to this article, so as far as Netflix is concerned it's the final season, but there might be additional ones airing in Canada.  

MWB has referred to it as the last season on her Instagram.  Anne With An E is more expensive than a regular CBC program, so I don't think the network could afford to make it by itself.

I'm shocked and disappointed.  I wonder when they decided this.  It seems like the Writers knew when they wrote this episode, since they wrapped Anne's story in a nice little bow.  But you would think CBC would have marketed Season 3 as the final season, if it had been decided that far in advance.  I think I would have liked to know before last night that I would be watching the final episode.

I thought CBC would pick up the series too, but I agree it's probably too costly for them to produce by themselves.  "Murdoch Mysteries" mostly films in a backlot and it doesn't have such an expansive cast.   I'm torn whether it's better to end the show as it is, or have a lower budget fourth season.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Camera One said:

This article said the viewership for Season 3 on CBC in Canada was only around 400,000, which is pretty low.  I'm surprised.  And apparently viewership was mostly age 50 and up, which isn't attractive to advertisers.

https://brioux.tv/blog/2019/11/27/hard-truth-anne-with-an-e-was-never-a-hit-in-canada/?fbclid=IwAR0VKfXTnmKAyiyWDvdbg9P29WZsFUqX-pQfrdPVgKPB1x5wdwef7OssIGE

I'm a bit shocked by the demo since the series was so unconventional and different from the beloved 1985 series as well as the books. I had formed the impression that the fans must be very young with no attachment to the source material, very responsive to Gilbert as a cute boy and with expectations around progressive social values. Is this a case where the ratings tools are not able to truly measure the audience and are skewed to network TV and away from streaming?

I am curious as to how this compares to the YTV series ratings. Tried googling but didn't find that info.

• Love 2